tallman95

Did it go downhill as the series progressed at that time?

Avatar is the 3rd best money making movie of all time already. It knocked Star Wars Episode IV back to 4th. Titanic (Cameron's other movie) is 1st. Avatar was an amazing movie. It deserves 5 stars.

Stupid reasons for it being a good movie.

The generic plot and poor characterization makes this movie alright' date=' at best. I appreciate the word Cameron created, but the movie itself is ok, at best.

Just as graphics don't make games, they don't make movies either.

[/quote']

Who are you, new member? You're intelligent. :3

And that's questionable. Just as with a game, now that I've got used to things with brilliant graphics it's hard to go back. However, with movies that's different, I can easily go back and watch films like The Italian Job (1965) as it's brilliant. The graphics (especially in 3D) make Avatar brilliant to watch- but as a film? No, it's not unique and it's not great.

The Screenplay was wrote over 10 years ago, though.

There are very few games I can't go back to and still think they absolutely rock. In fact, the only game that comes to mind is Mario Kart 64 (mainly because I can no longer tell where the road is). Every other game, going back to those wonderful sprites on the SNES are still as fantastic as they were the day the were made. I could play Chrono Trigger and Mana 3 until I died. You know why? Awesome stories. Awesome characters. Awesome gameplay.

Plus, with 11-ish years to work on it, you would think Cameron could have come up with a better plotline.

There's nothing wrong with having both, it's not difficult to have both good graphics and gameplay and characters, though. A prime one that comes to mind with what you said would be Mario Kart Wii. Alright, as it's Nintendo that wasn't a great example as it's not that much better, but it's got a good improvement on the graphics and gameplay either way. A game I can note wouldn't be same if it didn't have it's mixture of brilliant graphics, gameplay and plot would be Assassin's Creed, which is simply amazing in everything but it's fighting system. It's hard for me to go back to a game like GTA1 on the PS1 after playing something as amazing as GTA4. Okay, the contrast may be a bit extreme but it's true.

And either way, once the final version is wrote, most don't then go back and edit. He had his idea in mind those 11 years ago, and he kept it until the present day. I doubt he felt an obligation to go back and edit because some other guys have already used the idea.

I'm not saying we have to throw graphics out the window. By all means, I love watching shiny detailed characters killing other equally shiny detailed characters on my tv. I'm just saying graphics should never take the precedence when judging anything's value.

Some movies that people compare Avatar to:

Dances with Wolves (1990)

Ferngully (1992)

Pocahontas (1995)

All of them are before when Cameron wrote his screenplay. He really doesn't have much of an excuse for having such a generic story or flat characters. He spent all his time creating the world without much thought of the story that was to take place in it.

Well, I can't deny that you make a valid and strong point. The plot was never very diverse, or even original. The first thing I noticed is that it seemingly took ideas from loads of other things. I said it earlier in this thread that I thought it was: Halo (weapons + vehicles, I mean one actually IS a Hornet), WoW (Na'vi look like Night Elves and have similar storyline's around them, plus abilities) & Assassin's Creed (that machine looks and acts like an Animus...).

I didn't realise how similar it was to Pocahontas until it was posted here, having never seen it myself, either. I still think the world is amazing, and the plot isn't great. The good thing is that the world is now open to everything else, meaning if I was interested I could read lots of interesting fan-fiction.

You realize that things in Halo, WoW, and Assassin's Creed aren't completely original either? Hover-copters with rotator wings have been around for ages. Elves...are elves. Dozens upon dozens of slightly different variations. I haven't played AC so I don't know what Anumis is.

Yes, Avatar's strongest point is the expanded universe of Pandora. I expect to see work based around Pandora that hasn't been seen since the likes of Star Wars.

Of course they aren't original, there is really no such thing as "original" any more, everything has been done at least once. And yes, but it looks EXACTLY like a Hornet. If they Halo film goes through, they would probably end up using the same thing, seriously. And night elves are the same colour, and have the same appearance and 'contact' with the earth. Again, too similar to be considered coincidence, even though the timeline suggests that it is. And an Animus is a machine that looks almost exactly like the one that's used for them to go into an Avatar's body, and it allows the user to go into their ancestor's memories.

And yeah, pretty much. Unfortunately I fear the majority will be bad slashfic and romance's that are terrible, though. Lets hope people can be as unique with them as I see a lot of people are with Harry Potter fan-fics. Pandora is a big world though, even though only a small segment was explored in Avatar (there is also the rest of the universe now that humanity has the technology to travel to things like Earth-like moons).

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did it go downhill as the series progressed at that time?

Avatar is the 3rd best money making movie of all time already. It knocked Star Wars Episode IV back to 4th. Titanic (Cameron's other movie) is 1st. Avatar was an amazing movie. It deserves 5 stars.

Stupid reasons for it being a good movie.

The generic plot and poor characterization makes this movie alright' date=' at best. I appreciate the word Cameron created, but the movie itself is ok, at best.

Just as graphics don't make games, they don't make movies either.

[/quote']

Who are you, new member? You're intelligent. :3

And that's questionable. Just as with a game, now that I've got used to things with brilliant graphics it's hard to go back. However, with movies that's different, I can easily go back and watch films like The Italian Job (1965) as it's brilliant. The graphics (especially in 3D) make Avatar brilliant to watch- but as a film? No, it's not unique and it's not great.

The Screenplay was wrote over 10 years ago, though.

I never really showed too much interest in The Italian Job (the old one).

I didn't feel the new one was bad

oh please' date=' you really think the RDA (the company that landed on Pandora) is that stupid?

They had to have factored in the possibility if they couldn't get the unobtainium

[/quote']

I feel as if you're arguing with yourself, your original post sounded like "Earth needed unobtainium or else they were gonna die"

That post sounded like "This fictional company would have had a backup plan that would have caused the earth not to die, even though the earth is gonna die"

Pick a side >.>

All about a mineral called unobtainium.

What about iwantsomeofthatainium.

I hope you know' date=' that material was to keep the lifeblood of the Earth going

they left out in the film Earth's resources were completely depleted by then

[/quote']

Yeah! Lets crush whole regions of innocent Na'vi tribes because we're humans and that's what humans do!

yeah' date=' but the human race doesn't understand anything about compromise

[/quote']

They tried compromise. Several times. They offered schooling, medicine, tools, etc etc. They also had the Avatar program to integrate and communicate with them, so that they could negotiate. The Na'vi were just as stubborn as the humans. It's just that the humans have more pew pew.

how exactly are you supposed to negotiate when you have assault rifles pointed in you face?

And you forget the Navi had religious reasons why they didn't want to move. That Hometree was one of their main psychic network hubs to their god Eywa

Compromise works both ways. You can't say "well the humans just need to compromise" if the Na'vi refuse to budge as well.

how exactly are you supposed to negotiate when you have assault rifles pointed in you face?

And you forget the Navi had religious reasons why they didn't want to move. That Hometree was one of their main psychic network hubs to their god Eywa

Compromise works both ways. You can't say "well the humans just need to compromise" if the Na'vi refuse to budge as well.

yeah I know that, but for that to work takes time for both sides to see each other's POV.

The destruction of the Hometree in the film showed the Navi the human POV is either they migrate VERY quickly, or be killed

Archived