tallman95

Sequel that has failed HORRIBLY:

Karate Kid 2 & 3

COMPLETELY ruined the plot.

It's a lot easier to name sequels that have succeeded rather than ones that have flopped.

*That is' date=' the list would be a lot shorter.

[/quote']

Yeah that is a point >.<

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avatar is the 3rd best money making movie of all time already. It knocked Star Wars Episode IV back to 4th. Titanic (Cameron's other movie) is 1st. Avatar was an amazing movie. It deserves 5 stars.

Stupid reasons for it being a good movie.

The generic plot and poor characterization makes this movie alright, at best. I appreciate the word Cameron created, but the movie itself is ok, at best.

Just as graphics don't make games, they don't make movies either.

Did it go downhill as the series progressed at that time?

Avatar is the 3rd best money making movie of all time already. It knocked Star Wars Episode IV back to 4th. Titanic (Cameron's other movie) is 1st. Avatar was an amazing movie. It deserves 5 stars.

The generic plot and poor characterization makes this movie alright' date=' at best. I appreciate the word Cameron created, but the movie itself is ok, at best.

[/quote']

Who are you, new member? You're intelligent. :3

And that's questionable. Just as with a game, now that I've got used to things with brilliant graphics it's hard to go back. However, with movies that's different, I can easily go back and watch films like The Italian Job (1965) as it's brilliant. The graphics (especially in 3D) make Avatar brilliant to watch- but as a film? No, it's not unique and it's not great.

The Screenplay was wrote over 10 years ago, though.

The generic plot and poor characterization makes this movie alright' date=' at best. I appreciate the word Cameron created, but the movie itself is ok, at best.

[/quote']

And that's questionable. Just as with a game, now that I've got used to things with brilliant graphics it's hard to go back. However, with movies that's different, I can easily go back and watch films like The Italian Job (1965) as it's brilliant. The graphics (especially in 3D) make Avatar brilliant to watch- but as a film? No, it's not unique and it's not great.

There are very few games I can't go back to and still think they absolutely rock. In fact, the only game that comes to mind is Mario Kart 64 (mainly because I can no longer tell where the road is). Every other game, going back to those wonderful sprites on the SNES are still as fantastic as they were the day the were made. I could play Chrono Trigger and Mana 3 until I died. You know why? Awesome stories. Awesome characters. Awesome gameplay.

Plus, with 11-ish years to work on it, you would think Cameron could have come up with a better plotline.

[/quote']

There are very few games I can't go back to and still think they absolutely rock. In fact, the only game that comes to mind is Mario Kart 64 (mainly because I can no longer tell where the road is). Every other game, going back to those wonderful sprites on the SNES are still as fantastic as they were the day the were made. I could play Chrono Trigger and Mana 3 until I died. You know why? Awesome stories. Awesome characters. Awesome gameplay.

Plus, with 11-ish years to work on it, you would think Cameron could have come up with a better plotline.

There's nothing wrong with having both, it's not difficult to have both good graphics and gameplay and characters, though. A prime one that comes to mind with what you said would be Mario Kart Wii. Alright, as it's Nintendo that wasn't a great example as it's not that much better, but it's got a good improvement on the graphics and gameplay either way. A game I can note wouldn't be same if it didn't have it's mixture of brilliant graphics, gameplay and plot would be Assassin's Creed, which is simply amazing in everything but it's fighting system. It's hard for me to go back to a game like GTA1 on the PS1 after playing something as amazing as GTA4. Okay, the contrast may be a bit extreme but it's true.

And either way, once the final version is wrote, most don't then go back and edit. He had his idea in mind those 11 years ago, and he kept it until the present day. I doubt he felt an obligation to go back and edit because some other guys have already used the idea.

[/quote']

There's nothing wrong with having both, it's not difficult to have both good graphics and gameplay and characters, though. A prime one that comes to mind with what you said would be Mario Kart Wii. Alright, as it's Nintendo that wasn't a great example as it's not that much better, but it's got a good improvement on the graphics and gameplay either way. A game I can note wouldn't be same if it didn't have it's mixture of brilliant graphics, gameplay and plot would be Assassin's Creed, which is simply amazing in everything but it's fighting system. It's hard for me to go back to a game like GTA1 on the PS1 after playing something as amazing as GTA4. Okay, the contrast may be a bit extreme but it's true.

And either way, once the final version is wrote, most don't then go back and edit. He had his idea in mind those 11 years ago, and he kept it until the present day. I doubt he felt an obligation to go back and edit because some other guys have already used the idea.

I'm not saying we have to throw graphics out the window. By all means, I love watching shiny detailed characters killing other equally shiny detailed characters on my tv. I'm just saying graphics should never take the precedence when judging anything's value.

Some movies that people compare Avatar to:

Dances with Wolves (1990)

Ferngully (1992)

Pocahontas (1995)

All of them are before when Cameron wrote his screenplay. He really doesn't have much of an excuse for having such a generic story or flat characters. He spent all his time creating the world without much thought of the story that was to take place in it.

[/quote']

I'm not saying we have to throw graphics out the window. By all means, I love watching shiny detailed characters killing other equally shiny detailed characters on my tv. I'm just saying graphics should never take the precedence when judging anything's value.

Ferngully (1992)

Pocahontas (1995)

All of them are before when Cameron wrote his screenplay. He really doesn't have much of an excuse for having such a generic story or flat characters. He spent all his time creating the world without much thought of the story that was to take place in it.

Well, I can't deny that you make a valid and strong point. The plot was never very diverse, or even original. The first thing I noticed is that it seemingly took ideas from loads of other things. I said it earlier in this thread that I thought it was: Halo (weapons + vehicles, I mean one actually IS a Hornet), WoW (Na'vi look like Night Elves and have similar storyline's around them, plus abilities) & Assassin's Creed (that machine looks and acts like an Animus...).

I didn't realise how similar it was to Pocahontas until it was posted here, having never seen it myself, either. I still think the world is amazing, and the plot isn't great. The good thing is that the world is now open to everything else, meaning if I was interested I could read lots of interesting fan-fiction.

[/quote']

Ferngully (1992)

Pocahontas (1995)

Well, I can't deny that you make a valid and strong point. The plot was never very diverse, or even original. The first thing I noticed is that it seemingly took ideas from loads of other things. I said it earlier in this thread that I thought it was: Halo (weapons + vehicles, I mean one actually IS a Hornet), WoW (Na'vi look like Night Elves and have similar storyline's around them, plus abilities) & Assassin's Creed (that machine looks and acts like an Animus...).

I didn't realise how similar it was to Pocahontas until it was posted here, having never seen it myself, either. I still think the world is amazing, and the plot isn't great. The good thing is that the world is now open to everything else, meaning if I was interested I could read lots of interesting fan-fiction.

You realize that things in Halo, WoW, and Assassin's Creed aren't completely original either? Hover-copters with rotator wings have been around for ages. Elves...are elves. Dozens upon dozens of slightly different variations. I haven't played AC so I don't know what Anumis is.

Yes, Avatar's strongest point is the expanded universe of Pandora. I expect to see work based around Pandora that hasn't been seen since the likes of Star Wars.

Archived