[Broken Card X] should not be banned because...

Of course, the most obvious solution would be to ban all broken cards altogether. It would make the game better, balanced, and allow other decks to be able to compete again. The problem with this concept is Konami. They're never going to allow this because of financial reasons. Therefore, we must find an alternate solution, because the obvious solution is out the window. The only 2 options other than banning every broken card would be to either allow the broken cards to corrupt the game, or create equally broken cards to counteract the broken cards and balance the game out somewhat. It's the lesser of 2 evils, but what other choice is there, until Konami wakes up and realize how broken the game is?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course' date=' the most obvious solution would be to ban all broken cards altogether. It would make the game better, balanced, and allow other decks to be able to compete again. The problem with this concept is Konami. They're never going to allow this because of financial reasons. Therefore, we must find an alternate solution, because the obvious solution is out the window. The only 2 options other than banning every broken card would be to either allow the broken cards to corrupt the game, or create equally broken cards to counteract the broken cards and balance the game out somewhat. It's the lesser of 2 evils, but what other choice is there, until Konami wakes up and realize how broken the game is?

[/quote']

See the word "should"? Konami is completely irrelevant.

But while we're on the subject of Konami, remember that a broken card with no or few counters is much more likely to get banned quickly. As such, an absence of counters would actually help Konami wake up.

But if we're bringing Konami into this, then there is nothing to discuss. We are chained to what is currently present and there is nothing to say about it because nothing more is possible than that which is already plainly there. This is hardly an interesting topic for discussion.

Yeah' date=' you can negate it.

IMO people will always complain. But in this case l think it's just people being sore losers.

[/quote']

Ah, the sore losers argument! Thanks, I knew I was forgetting something. You're very helpful when it comes to reminding me of absurdly terrible counterarguments.

I have something else I've seen personally that isn't accounted for on the list:

The entire banlist is stupid. Everything should be unlimited.
You want things like Monster Reborn' date=' Yata and Chaos Emperor Dragon running around? Do you know how many people win games just because they topdeck Monster Reborn?[/quote']
Exactly' date=' Monster Reborn is some people's only hope. I don't care about Chaos Emperor Dragon and Yata-garasu because nobody's ever used it against me.[/quote']
Do you have any idea of how many FTKs removing the list creates?
*stops listening and starts talking to someone else about Magic the Gathering*

^Actual conversation, happened about 3 times.

Beasically: "Don't ban it because it's some people's only hope. I don't care if it's ridiculously broken."

I have something else I've seen personally that isn't accounted for on the list:

The entire banlist is stupid. Everything should be unlimited.
You want things like Monster Reborn' date=' Yata and Chaos Emperor Dragon running around? Do you know how many people win games just because they topdeck Monster Reborn?[/quote']
Exactly' date=' Monster Reborn is some people's only hope. I don't care about Chaos Emperor Dragon and Yata-garasu because nobody's ever used it against me.[/quote']
Do you have any idea of how many FTKs removing the list creates?
*stops listening and starts talking to someone else about Magic the Gathering*

^Actual conversation' date=' happened about 3 times.

Beasically: "Don't ban it because it's some people's only hope. I don't care if it's ridiculously broken."

[/quote']

You go to a High School and people are this stupid about YGO?

Well, at least you don't have people at your school who don't know what's banned and what a ruling is..Cuz i do T_T

Of course: Everyone that disagrees with you has a terrible argument. Huh.

Maybe it's not those people at all.

Pity these arguments are all equally invalid regardless of who uses them or with respect to what card they are used. That makes it pretty clear that the problem lies in the arguments themselves. You just can't conceive of the idea that any other form of argument could be possible because you're an idiot.

^Those people are stupid.

XD I'm talking about cards that everyone hates because they keep losing to it. Like honest. Honest isn't broken. And therefore shouldn't hit the list. If it does' date=' 2 at best.

[/quote']

Don't tell me you've been spewing these nonsensical arguments because you thought this was all about Honest.

I fail to see how Konami is completely irrelevant. You can't talk about high prices without talking about the store accused of having high prices. It's almost impossible.

You do have a point Crab, and I acknowledge that not creating broken-counter cards would send a bigger wake-up call then creating them to begin with. It might take a while, but I suppose it is for the greater good.

You're also right this discussion, there is nothing to discuss. Konami will continue to do whatever Konami wants, and the players will always be forced to deal with it or quit. So it is, so it shall always be, unless Konami's revenue is greatly affected.

I fail to see how Konami is completely irrelevant. You can't talk about high prices without talking about the store accused of having high prices. It's almost impossible.

That argument is invalid' date=' so what it says need not make sense. I could add "[[i']Broken Card X[/i]] should not be banned because I like Battlestar Galactica" to the list, but that still wouldn't mean that the Cylons have any actual relevance to Yugimons.

You do have a point Crab' date=' and I acknowledge that not creating broken-counter cards would send a bigger wake-up call then creating them to begin with. It might take a while, but I suppose it is for the greater good.

[/quote']

That's still a pointless line to travel down, though, because that assumes that we have control of Konami's R&D department but not of its banlist department, which seems like a rather silly condition. (Similarly, the Nash paradox results from assuming that we have control of one card's position on the list but not of any other card's, which is random and silly.)

You're also right this discussion' date=' there is nothing to discuss. Konami will continue to do whatever Konami wants, and the players will always be forced to deal with it or quit. So it is, so it shall always be, unless Konami's revenue is greatly affected.

[/quote']

Alternate solution: custom formats. It's been done, and averts the problem of Konami's awful list.

I suppose the key word is "should", and it just hit me that I've been using "won't" all this time. Konami is irrelevent to what "should" happen, and with this, my argument about making counter-broken cards crumbles.

I also suppose custom formats could work, if there was an absolute authority to enforce the format, and also experts to the game to discuss what and what shouldn't be banned/limited/semi.

I suppose the key word is "should"' date=' and it just hit me that I've been using "won't" all this time. Konami is irrelevent to what "should" happen, and with this, my argument about making counter-broken cards crumbles.

[/quote']

And with that, he was enlightened.

I also suppose custom formats could work' date=' if there was an absolute authority to enforce the format, and also experts to the game to discuss what and what shouldn't be banned/limited/semi.

[/quote']

It's actually been done before. The hardest part is getting everyone to agree on a single custom format to use, since a group of people large enough for it to be worth using a custom format and intelligent enough to want to play a custom format will contain a lot of people who will have a lot of differing opinions on what does and doesn't need to be banned. Some are easy to handle - they'll all want to ban Dark Armed Dragon - but after that people start to branch their opinions. Is Demise powerful enough to be worth banning? Should Heavy Storm be banned? It has worked in the past, but it's tricky.

You're also right this discussion' date=' there is nothing to discuss. Konami will continue to do whatever Konami wants, and the players will always be forced to deal with it or quit. So it is, so it shall always be, unless Konami's revenue is greatly affected.

[/quote']

Alternate solution: custom formats. It's been done, and averts the problem of Konami's awful list.

That sounds like a good idea. But the problem is that most people only want to play Advance. Few people actually even try Traditional for fun.

There are always arguments with the custom lists of this site, making it too hard to agree on.

Although overall I like the idea of a custom list.

The thought that the company that makes the cards shouldn't be in charge of the list crossed my mind now. Looking as how its always a middle point between profit and balance... Or would that be too much ... hmm...

Guest PikaPerson01

It's sad that the ban list threads got banned... granted it's for the best' date=' but "perfecting" a list would be nice...

[/quote']

IIRC, it was only a temporary ban because it was a stupid fad at the time the rule was made.

Archived