[Broken Card X] should not be banned because...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PikaPerson01

14) [broken Card X] should not be banned because it sucks.

Also' date=' my Magic fan of a friend constantly says that the banlist is another way to make money every time I tell him that the banlist is an attempt to make the game more balanced.

[/quote']

Fun Fact: In Yu-Gi-Oh, the first cards to be forbidden were forbidden as an attempt to make money (With "health of the metagame" as a secondary plus). Since everyone already had their 1x of every (currently limited) super broken card (Pot of Greed, Graceful, Premature, Harpy's Feather Duster etc etc.) there was no reason to go out and buy the newer, less broken and less powerful cards.

The only one I'm a bit iffy on is Number 8 but for different reasons and only on a few certain cards...otherwise I do agree with this list.

Which specific card is it that troubles you?

Also' date=' my Magic fan of a friend constantly says that the banlist is another way to make money every time I tell him that the banlist is an attempt to make the game more balanced.

[/quote']

Fun Fact: In Yu-Gi-Oh, the first cards to be forbidden were forbidden as an attempt to make money (With "health of the metagame" as a secondary plus). Since everyone already had their 1x of every (currently limited) super broken card (Pot of Greed, Graceful, Premature, Harpy's Feather Duster etc etc.) there was no reason to go out and buy the newer, less broken and less powerful cards.

Other Fun Fact: In Yu-Gi-Oh, the banlist is still there to make money, albeit less directly; players will buy more cards if the game is less terrible. (Alternately, it could still be a direct source of money through broken card cycling. Release something broken like DAD, have everyone buy up lots of packs to get copies, Limit DAD and introduce Gyzarus, have everyone buy up lots of packs to get stuff for a completely different deck, Limit Bestiari and introduce Blackwings and DSF, ban DSF and Limit Gale... as long as the top deck changes often enough, people need to constantly buy the new broken stuff.)

The only one I'm a bit iffy on is Number 8 but for different reasons and only on a few certain cards...otherwise I do agree with this list.

Which specific card is it that troubles you?

I suspect he is thinking of things like Heavy Storm and Mirror Force, in which case he is confusing Argument 8 with a different argument that is actually valid.

Guest PikaPerson01

Actually' date=' that's not that bad of an argument. Outside of Exodia and Victory Dragon, I can't really think of any banworthy cards that also suck.

[/quote']

Arguably; Nobleman of Crossout, All Out Attack, Final Attack Order, Arcana Force [Roman Numeral] - The World, Imperial Iron Wall, Super Alloy Beast - Whatever, Treeborn Frog and Chimeratech Fortress Dragon are banworthy cards that also suck.

The logic is that just because a card sucks in this format doesn't mean that it wouldn't be harmful in the format you are creating.

Guest PikaPerson01

Alot of those cards suck this format' date=' but in a format with most of the most blatantly broken cards banned would be good.

[/quote']

But Argument 14 of course implies "this format". It's just less funny and flows awkwardly if the last two words are added in.

Guest PikaPerson01

A card isn't broken just by someone declaring it's broken (there's a whole nother Crab copypasta on what decides whether a card is broken or not floating around, and even then it's mildly outdated).

Guest PikaPerson01

If a card is "objectively broken"' date=' then any argument saying it's not broken is wrong, and the arguments in this thread are not of any particular stupidity.

[/quote']

Err... maybe it's my fault because I'm trying to multitask here and not paying enough attention but... what the hell argument are you trying to make?

• 4 weeks later...

I am seeing a rather alarming of posts lately saying that Judgment Dragoon should remain legal because losing it weakens Lightlords too much' date=' or that Gyzarus should stay because losing him hurts Gladiator Beasts. It seems you guys need a reminder.

[/quote']

At least its not Schrödinger's Format, in which we try and re-make season 1 of Yugimonz.

Archived