The Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse ~ Fanfiction Public Planning Thread

Hydra of Ages

My point as been completely proven, Its been over a week and no one has even responded to what I said, When no one ever comes to this thing whats the point? Forcing a rule that you have to use this thing to draft your Idea's or conserns is completely pointless if no one comes to this regularly.

You don't have to use this topic. Where did you get the idea you had to? Christ.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point as been completely proven, Its been over a week and no one has even responded to what I said, When no one ever comes to this thing whats the point? Forcing a rule that you have to use this thing to draft your Idea's or conserns is completely pointless if no one comes to this regularly.

And Rai. The idea is cool. Simaler to blade runner, I would watch the movie for insperation. if you have Idea's, You can bounce them off of me through PM insted of here. I dont feel using something that dosent work is like jolting a dead body with electricity, it will twitch, but its not alive.

Fine. I'll respond to your comment. I agree with all of your changes, 'cept I have to point out you gotta stop using apostrophes in your plurals.

In fact, I'll reply to all these comments! Make err'body happy!

@Aggro, clever poem/theme song.

@Double C4, If you can write that without it making me want to gouge my own heart out with a rusty spoon, great idea.

One problem: I don't think the average teenager does well in school. :P

@.Rai, sounds cool. What writing I've read seems good, but definitely don't cop out and make it really short, you know?

And finally, @R.Surraco, that's actually pretty unique. As long as you can do it, go for it.

@Double C4, If you can write that without it making me want to gouge my own heart out with a rusty spoon, great idea.

I guess you can say that my claim was a hyperbole. And why would you think my story would make you "gouge your own heart out with a rusty spoon"? You afraid of it being a Romeo & Juliet cliche? Somebody already made that claim in what I originally did with the story.

Do I have a guaranteed viewer? It's already posted. It's called Silent Demeanor, if you're wondering, or ANYONE for that matter.

I guess you can say that my claim was a hyperbole. And why would you think my story would make you "gouge your own heart out with a rusty spoon"? You afraid of it being a Romeo & Juliet cliche? Somebody already made that claim in what I originally did with the story.

Do I have a guaranteed viewer? It's already posted. It's called Silent Demeanor, if you're wondering, or ANYONE for that matter.

I mean bad romance (and not the song) makes me vomit. But yeah, I'll read it. I implied I would, and hey, what's the point of being a dick?

Well, another idea:

Year 2500 is the golden age of imagination. There are endless alternate dimensions to pick up for an adventure, love or just some harmless fun. Several of them are adventure based, some others have the love engraved on them, there are even child-like dimensions. Too bad this dimensions are just computer-based. Hi-tech, worldwide accessible computer simulations that recreate our most deep fantasies. Worlds that several hackers try to invade those worlds and take them over. People that works for security in these dimensions, the Defenders try to stop them for good, but no avail. A group of hackers, known as the Overlordz, are increasing the rate and harshness of their attacks ruining a lot of these fantasies. Overlordz and Defenders fight recklessly without truce. They fight without peace. Without sleep. Sleep... ZZZZZZ...

Cue for Alicia Santana, a young girl who seems to suffered from narcolepsy. She can barely have a day of school without falling asleep in the middl of the lecture. SANTANA, AWAKE!! Her fathers look for a solution without avail. They decided to hook her to one of the alternate dimensions to see if they could actually make her mind more active in the alternate world. They choose a construct world, where she could create stuff like walls or cars or whatever. A CAD world if you ask me. Then a lightening struck.

The machine where Alicia was struck got shot by a bolt and got shutdown. The impact was so strong that it fried the little girl's brain. The parents were in shock for seeing their braindead girl. She wasn't responding and her eyes got charred along with her formerly beautiful blond tresses. They were totally sad and hopeless... until Alicia said "Hi" once the machine was restarted. She was there, in the PC. Not in the limited CAD world, but in the PC itself, talking through a vid window. WHA?!

Scientists believe that the lightning shock actually made a full download of her brain into the PC before shutting down, something that was completely impossible that could happen... in a normal interaction: scientists of the center agreed that the key was the limit removal; usually a person only has a 15% of data inserted on the PC, while the other 85% remains on the cerebellum, in order to keep the people in touch with the real world. Alicia was having problems to interact even with the 25%, the max limit that's only used with kids with ADD, so they upped it to 70% and they even hooked more areas of her brain into it, like the ones that manage her sensitivity and the so; the shock safety made the program to try to disconnect the user from it when the lightening hit the device...

... But due to the huge amount and complexity of data that had been uploaded to the system (70% of your brain is HUGE), the system thought Alicia was an NPC and that the amount of data her brain was holding (you know, the other 30%) was actually connection date from a NPort (A Neural Portable; it can work as a surrogate virtual space for a user to have a more private experience), so it did the opposite, which is DOWNLOAD the remainder of her brain before it was too late. So, she got fully downloaded into her virtual world, then stored into the PC as a new NPC named as her username: "santana_factor".

The thing is that she was not responding to the orders of the system, as her "data" was not the same type of code (in fact, an NPC is a ".dat", she's a ".bin" that can generate a ".dat" avatar to work on alternate dimensions) and was pretty much free to do whatever she wanted, like activate herself without being on the start-up routine. During 10 years, her parents had been visiting her on her "home", i.e., the CAD world where she built from scratch a cozy place to live. She even invited them to some nice virtual food. They were a bit unsettled with her new appearance, as the black skin with while glowing lines running through it, blue lens eyes and neon cyan hair was kinda shocking, but they grew attached to that image of the love of their life.

However, in the wake of the virtual war, the government is in need of all the data space possible. The parents, fearing they could take their girl away from them, decided to lock themselves in the computer room with their girl when the army came for the computer. They took the computer's hard drive where their girl was located and hid it. The army took the PC and left, but the couple had the hard drive with them. They manage to download Alicia and her world into an alternate hard drive, so they could return the original hard drive back to the army when they wondered why their new mainframe had no OS.

Now Alicia lives with her parents... literally, as she got downloaded into the home's systems. She had a pretty good life... until a bug, courtesy of the Overlordz, came after her CAD World. She managed to fend it of, realizing the bug was unable to affect her data directly. When she realized what was happening on the world (her paretns had been keeping the news away from her to not scare her), she decided to take action. With the serious advantage of being both a human mind and a computer system, she is ready to rock. Of course, she's still a 10 year old girl in her mind, so she doesn't care to play a little. So remember, hackers, trolls, internet users around the world: careful if an alert of a possible malware pops out. If the file is "santana_factor.bin", you're screwed.

The origin for this idea was both Danny Phantom and Corrector Yui. Why did I got those mixed up into this, I dunno. Probably is related to the 35% I have on the PC right now, I dunno. Excuse me, I need to upload myself off. See ya!

Surraco, stop having good ideas. They're making me look like an idiot. I f***ing love that one. It's super cool and imaginative, with the possibility of being on both a huge scale and a personal one at the same time. It could be funny, or dramatic, or any number of things. Seriously. Awesome.

On another note, it reminds me of a 90's cartoon, what with the classic "lightning strikes something, sh*t happens" formula. I can definitely see how you could be inspired by Danny Phantom.

In short, DO IT.

So, I'm writing again for the first time in months. This huge pause happened for a bunch of reasons, one of the reasons being that I recently reread Story (by Robert McKee, I highly recommend it), and it made me think about putting stories in the right medium. Long story short, for the past couple years, the vast majority of what I've been consuming has been anime, broken up only by a couple summer movies, The Hunger Games, and A Song of Ice and Fire. Every time I come up with a plot, I try to write and fail...and it might not be writer's block. I think I've been trying to write anime for like three years now, even though square pegs and round holes are mutually exclusive.

So (I should stop beginning sentences with "so"...) I guess my subconscious mulled over the problem for a while and decided that maybe the shortcut to a story suited to being written is if the story can only be told through text. A story about the Internet.

I think I said something about "long story short" a chest-high wall of text ago, but now that you've slogged through or skipped that introduction, I can talk about the story itself. And at the moment, there's not a lot to it, so hey, I just wasted like three minutes of your life, but whatever. The story is called Duct Tape Eyepatch, because the central character (there may or may not actually be a protagonist) goes by DuctTapeEyepatch on the webzone. DTE, who usually identifies as female (though there are doubters), is this one particular forum's shining personality - that one particular person who through routinely ingenious wit, time, and blatant favoritism nearly everyone on the forum respects, wants to talk to and know more about. So basically it's a blatant self-insert fic

The majority of the story would be what I believe those watchers of Japanimation call "slice-of-life" - regular and irregular forum events told through threads, chats, PMs, and whatever else makes sense. This is going to rely 120% on DTE being funny, interesting, etc. - i.e. the reader will pretty much have to wish she was on their forum. Otherwise the whole story's screwed. The end of the story will probably have slightly more meat; she will probably going through some kind of personal problems (Hooray internet drama!).

I don't know what I'm asking for in terms of feedback but, you know, anything that jumps out at you, any ideas...please, speak.

One interesting consequence of beginning this project was the realization that DTE would have taste in anime pretty different from my own. Now I have a list of like twenty shows I need to watch, hopefully one of which is her favorite anime.

Your ideas.

Your ideas could turn out well or turn out awful. Until you write them I have no clue. (Although to be completely honest, the writing style I saw in your descriptions I wasn't really a fan of...)

Dr. Cakey, just one thing: Pretty please, don't try to go for drama... just don't. Nothing about you, no, just the idea of "internet drama".

NO ONE <should> COME TO AN INTERNET FORUM FOR THEIR TROUBLES. I just can't think of a way anyone could write it without the dramatic twist being terrible.

I'd personally like a tongue-in-cheek, "true friends" PSA-type ending. Of course, that's just me, and I may not be credible in the position of critic. So do whatever you want.

Just make sure that sh*t isn't shoehorned in. Please?

Dr. Cakey, just one thing: Pretty please, don't try to go for drama... just don't. Nothing about you, no, just the idea of "internet drama".

NO ONE <should> COME TO AN INTERNET FORUM FOR THEIR TROUBLES. I just can't think of a way anyone could write it without the dramatic twist being terrible.

I'd personally like a tongue-in-cheek, "true friends" PSA-type ending. Of course, that's just me, and I may not be credible in the position of critic. So do whatever you want.

Just make sure that sh*t isn't shoehorned in. Please?

I agree with you, basically. I have no idea exactly where it will end up going, but it's certainly not going to be like, "my boyfriend broke up with me forum come forth and comfort me in my hour of need". The "plot" might be as simple as her starting a Kickstarter or something. I dunno, the kids seem to like those. Besides, if she has personal problems, she can talk to her friends instead of involving the whole damn forum. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I wouldn't be overly concerned.

(I'd be much more concerned with my mental state after having to watch Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, and Grave of the Fireflies for my research...oh boy...)

Your ideas could turn out well or turn out awful. Until you write them I have no clue. (Although to be completely honest, the writing style I saw in your descriptions I wasn't really a fan of...)

The descriptions are meant to be vague, as I'm still polishing them out. It will all be seen when I get to the actual chapters. BTW, try checking on my already working story: Hidden Blade of Saratoga

I agree with you, basically. I have no idea exactly where it will end up going, but it's certainly not going to be like, "my boyfriend broke up with me forum come forth and comfort me in my hour of need". The "plot" might be as simple as her starting a Kickstarter or something. I dunno, the kids seem to like those. Besides, if she has personal problems, she can talk to her friends instead of involving the whole damn forum. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I wouldn't be overly concerned.

(I'd be much more concerned with my mental state after having to watch Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, and Grave of the Fireflies for my research...oh boy...)

Good, good, you seem to know what you're doing. The kickstarter seems like a good idea, maybe for something that no one would care about otherwise.

Also I have no idea what any of those shows are.

[

You don't have to use this topic. Where did you get the idea you had to? Christ.

Its in the Fan Fic section Rules, I read all rules of a forum before I start posting there for the first time.

Fine. I'll respond to your comment. I agree with all of your changes, 'cept I have to point out you gotta stop using apostrophes in your plurals.

In fact, I'll reply to all these comments! Make err'body happy!

@Aggro, clever poem/theme song.

@.Rai, sounds cool. What writing I've read seems good, but definitely don't cop out and make it really short, you know?

And finally, @R.Surraco, that's actually pretty unique. As long as you can do it, go for it.

Nyeh? What are you talking about? You mean my original post?

[

Its in the Fan Fic section Rules, I read all rules of a forum before I start posting there for the first time.

Well then you need to brush up on reading comprehension. What the rules actually say is that the Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse is for planning, and you can't post "planning" threads in the forum. At least half the stories on the first page have never been discussed here.

Third and last for now...

electrophoresis (countable and uncountable; plural electrophoreses)

1. the migration of electrically charged molecules through a medium under the influence of an electric field
  2. a method for the separation and analysis of large molecules (such as proteins) by migrating a colloidal solution of them through a gel; gel electrophoresis

Now, our story. The story of Françoise Guenièvre D'Escalaire, or "Gwen Skyler" , as she got called in L.A. after she arrived from Bordeaux 10 years ago with her parents Jacques Claude and Antoinette Dominique D'Escalaire (known as "Jack Skyler" and "Nique Skyler" by the locals), her little brother Antoine Louis D'Escalaire ("Louie Skyler") and the family pet, a cat named Thierry.

Gwen is a pretty much normal girl, except for the fact she tends to sicken when getting too much time near an electronic device. She can barely be in her home and not even talk about using any electronics, she makes them all go fail in some way, while her symptoms worsen, like that time she fainted when a microwave oven got started up near her.

Also, she occasionally suffers of strange visions. Ghostly images appear on her sight when she's too stressed, specially in enclosed spaces due to her claustrophobia. This visions increase when she's surrounded by electronics. Why's that happening to that average, nice french girl? Because of SCIENCE!

Little Gwen happens to emit a small electromagnetic pulse that causes a very subtle electrophoresis on her surrounding air. This is increased by nearby electric fields, like the ones generated by electronics. Specially those caused by high energy devices, like generators or microwave ovens. The ions generated by that process end up being absorbed by her, which causes her body to react in a very bad way.

She had been under controlling drugs and surgeries during her whole life, causing her to lose every strand of blond hair hair in her body, leaving her an alien-like appearance that, surprisingly, is not hindering her relationships... although her boyfriend, Lucas Roven, loves her mainly because of her "alien appeal" (the guy's the universe's equivalent to a Trekkie, give him a chance).

She also has a strange type of cataracts, caused by blood leaks over her eyes that threatened to blind her. After more surgeries, she can see normally now, but her iris and pupil are now an unhealthy tone of crimson, which adds to her alien-ish look. She also had been tanned almost excessively into a very dark skin tone, as her normal skin became blueish with time. She states she prefers skin cancer to whatever her body has any time of the year, even if it makes her look more like an alien than she already is (the tanning makes her body look too reddish for a normal tan).

Gwen is now approaching the Sweet 16 and her sickness is almost driving her insane: she can't enjoy her normal activities or hang out with her friends (who are not scared away for appearance or either a bunch of alien lovers, which is good) and her mind is too busy on trying to recover as fast as possible. In her last visit to Sapphire Lake (the only place she can stand long enough to chill a bit), she began to cry her heart out, because of her troubles and life an- WTH IS THAT ON THE WATER?!

She was witness of the arrival of some seriously foreign (as in "did you just insult my mother?" foreign) terrorist unit/heavily armed cult surging from the water of the lake. They seem to be looking for something on the town. She then recognizes a hologram the leader of the group, a 30-ish Russian looking woman, was showing her subordinates... it was her! They were coming after her, probably thinking she was an alien or something.

She tries to leave the place before she gets found, but she coughs loudly and soon all the spotlights from the lake are on her. She gets chased by the terrorists/cultists/whatever, as she tries to keep both away from them and not worsen up. She was about to reach the town, but a high power bolt caught her first, coursing her whole body until she collapsed. The bolt appeared to come from a futuristic gun the bad guys had.

She woke up, still groggy, in a kind of futuristic lab, where she was being probed and observed by the bad guys, who still are not talking either French or English. Her mind was not really keen due to the magnetron under the examination table she was restrained to. Scientists were cutting and drilling and doing a lot of weird things on her, but the images were all blurry. She couldn't keep her mind on anymore, so she fainted again.

She wakes up again in a white, padded room, wearing a white hooded robe. She can barely stay conscious and her minds spins. She slowly recovers her whole head, noticing the room, the robe... and the pulsating neon red lines that run all over the place. What? She can also see a red neon circuitry near of what seems to be the door... at least, sdhe suspects that. She can even feel it, like if it were part of her body... WTH? She takes her robe off and sees... WHAT?!

She finds herself wearing a tribal looking dark metal headband and several other metal bands of the same type on her wrists, ankles, waist and neck. She notices her left arm has a tribal yet futuristic looking gauntlet with a screen and some fingerprint-like buttons. Her body had changed as well, as her red eyes now glow furiously, her reddish skin now has dark red stripes all over it and seems to be scaly, her head now sports red, thick scales that make a shape shift fiery hairdo and several of this scales also appear on several spots of her body.

The white room door opens and the woman from before walks in. Gwen feels at the same time shocked, confused, angry... all the feelings mix up on her and she can't help it. The woman looks at Gwen, Gwen opens her mouth to protest about her situation and... "Sorry for this inconvenience, Miss D'Escalaire", says the armored foreigner mistress, in a flawless, yet heavily Russian accented French.

The woman, Madame Faina Dratinova, happens to be a special agent from the Roscosmos, the Russian Space Agency, who investigates UFO sightings on Europe. During a mission to find a meteor that escaped both Russian and European radars, they found a crater in Bordeaux that seemed to have a kind of high power super conductor element, probably from the meteor.

Their investigations revealed took them to Gwen, thinking she was a stowaway from the meteor. It happened that Gwen, as an infant, was the sole witness of the vent that changed her life, leading her to get "poisoned" by the mysterious material. It fade away on her blood stream after a couple months, but the damage was just starting. All that she's now, is due to that meteor sighting.

About her new appearance... it was a side reaction of the shock gun they used on her: it recharged the remains of the space material, altering even further her physiology and appearance.Besides her new looks, she gets an increased electromagnetic field that can cause even stronger electrophoresis around her. Furthermore, her powers are so out of the scale, that she got those magnetic coils (the tribal looking bands) fused into her body and nanotechnologically attached to her nervous system to control her powers.

What powers? She can see and sense electric currents around her, she can create gusts of wind, heavily ion charged that makes them both look red and be caustic as hells breath. Her scaly skin is harder than several types of metal and can withstand even missile shots. Her whole body can engulf in a caustic, burning red mist, which doesn't affect her at all. She also has laser vision, caused by a concentrated continuous pulse from her eyes. She also is stronger, faster and lighter than before.

The main downside is her look, but they can temporarily fix it, as the gauntlet has several functions, including the ability to suppress her power field, making her look "normal" (you know, her former self, even hiding the bands from sight), albeit for not more than 24 hours. She can also get advanced control of her powers through the gauntlet, although the powers stated above are totally natural and solely depending on her bands. Only she can operate her gauntlet, as the buttons are tuned to her fingerprints.

With this, she's allowed to leave, but with two conditions: 1) She must keep her whole ordeal as a secret, at least from those outside her family; 2) She's now bound to cooperate with the Roscosmos and other space agencies as their "outer space agent": she now goes as an alien under the name of Frahn'cia D'Skahl. Or, as she's more affectionately known, "The Sol Rider".

(I have no idea of where did I got this. I just pulled it from where the sun can't reach. The name of the main character came from an idea I had a time ago. Sol Rider comes from SkyRider, a Kamen Rider from the 80s)

Well then you need to brush up on reading comprehension. What the rules actually say is that the Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse is for planning, and you can't post "planning" threads in the forum. At least half the stories on the first page have never been discussed here.

I dont know what your trying to do by trying to insult me, but if you read what I said, I was complaining becaous the rules state exactly, that you cant release your fan fic if there are more than a couple errors, or discrepencies or it would be taken down and I found that unfair.

The other rulle is that you must have it proofed before, you put it up and its recomended you use the pub for that. The charm of putting a fic was that if you had errors you asked for a Raincheck as if the site is advertised to tand you learn from your mistakes, Just the fact this site has rules to protect children. As if the site was being advertised to children. When Its not, this is a failing site thats trying to be something its not, with mods trying to cling to what little power they have just ruining the site, The site was sucessfull before becaous it was a kind and good and forgiving inviorment. Then a couple monds felt the site needed to have more of an image in the internet, and made changes that just drove people away, IE The advanced clause. I'm not stating it was a bad implemen, but it was unfair to make it so stict it drove away the casual RP'ers and left just a handfull of good RP'ers and then, I know many realy good roleplayers probably some of the best on the site, but They are leaving becaous of the terrible modding and how stuck up the place is.

In all honesty, I feel the site was made this way becaous some one got kicked from a meta RP site and Tried to change YCM to fit them selves. Why do you think YCMaker NEVER come on anymore, he gets on for maintenence made by mod requests but he hats what its become.

God this got much more winded than I intended <.<

Words.

Ideas are cheap. Anyone who told you coming up with an idea was the hard part was lying to you. If I got a nickel for every idea - no, for every good idea - I came up with, I could be raking in hundreds of dollars a week. But for some reason nobody has offered that job to me. So write a thing. It's National Novel Writing Month after all.

I dont know what your trying to do by trying to insult me, but if you read what I said, I was complaining becaous the rules state exactly, that you cant release your fan fic if there are more than a couple errors, or discrepencies or it would be taken down and I found that unfair.

The other rulle is that you must have it proofed before, you put it up and its recomended you use the pub for that. The charm of putting a fic was that if you had errors you asked for a Raincheck as if the site is advertised to tand you learn from your mistakes, Just the fact this site has rules to protect children. As if the site was being advertised to children. When Its not, this is a failing site thats trying to be something its not, with mods trying to cling to what little power they have just ruining the site, The site was sucessfull before becaous it was a kind and good and forgiving inviorment. Then a couple monds felt the site needed to have more of an image in the internet, and made changes that just drove people away, IE The advanced clause. I'm not stating it was a bad implemen, but it was unfair to make it so stict it drove away the casual RP'ers and left just a handfull of good RP'ers and then, I know many realy good roleplayers probably some of the best on the site, but They are leaving becaous of the terrible modding and how stuck up the place is.

In all honesty, I feel the site was made this way becaous some one got kicked from a meta RP site and Tried to change YCM to fit them selves. Why do you think YCMaker NEVER come on anymore, he gets on for maintenence made by mod requests but he hats what its become.

God this got much more winded than I intended <.<

ycmaliens.jpg

I have no suitable response to the insane ramblings of that post. I shouldn't be trying to convince you that you can post fics in this forum. I doubt there's anything of value you could add to it.

Changing subjects: I wanna make a thread specifically to post bios of the characters of my stories and discuss things that are not directly related with the chapters themselves, but with the stories and characters as a whole. Can I do that in "Creative Writing" section or I need to talk with some higher ups first?

Archived