The Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse ~ Fanfiction Public Planning Thread

Hydra of Ages

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I just wanna ask for everyone's opinion on this. I'm writing a WWE crossover Fic involving YCMembers. I've already got the first match of the starting episode written out, and I have a rough outline of how the rest will unfold, but I'm always open to suggestions and new ideas.

Well, seeing how I am avowed fan of the WWE (notably the Luchadors such as Rey Mysetrio and Mistico/Sin Cara), I am a bit curious on how you do plan the story.

Personally, I was always fond of brainstorming random ideas and see how well they worked with a story I'm planning. Unfortunately, since I don't know much about your story, my suggestions may be a little off the wall:

Why not add native style wrestlers? In real life, we're pretty good grapplers and brawlers that became famous for our fighting prowess. An example of this would be the famous "Apache style warfare" (go ahead and look it up). From weapons to close quarters, we were adapted to our surroundings made the use of them. So I wouldn't mind a cliche apache character like those found in the Marvel universe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bit of a problem in a story I'm writing.

The main protagonist (and also narrator) is sitting in a classroom with 12 other students. I wanted to have all the other students all speak at least once, just so we can "get a feel" of them at an instant, while still also keeping the focus on the protagonist. The problem is that if all students speak to the protagonist it's ZOMG MARY SUE! Like in the real world, some people just do not give a damn about what the protagonist does. He's a regular student, just like them.

But then again, if they don't speak with the protagonist or address him, he has no real reason to notice them (since he's the narrator) and they just kind of fall to the sidelines, which is no good.

Advice?

I have a bit of a problem in a story I'm writing.

The main protagonist (and also narrator) is sitting in a classroom with 12 other students. I wanted to have all the other students all speak at least once, just so we can "get a feel" of them at an instant, while still also keeping the focus on the protagonist. The problem is that if all students speak to the protagonist it's ZOMG MARY SUE! Like in the real world, some people just do not give a damn about what the protagonist does. He's a regular student, just like them.

But then again, if they don't speak with the protagonist or address him, he has no real reason to notice them (since he's the narrator) and they just kind of fall to the sidelines, which is no good.

Advice?

There's no need to rush and introduce us to everyone at once. You could have him lie low and kind of scope things out, overhear some snippets of conversation. You could have some of them approach him (obviously not everyone, but it's plasubile for there to be a couple more extroverted students willing to say hi, I think). You could have him do something catastrophically embarassing/attention-grabbing by accident, and have him notice people via that.

Or you could have the teacher do roll call (although I feel having to learn about 12 new characters in any form would get tiring quickly). Or have him sit next that 'know-it-all' kid who gives him the lay down of who's-who (like in Mean Girls) (I'm assuming he's new?)

Hm. Reminds me of a book I was writing back then (Posted the prologue, but always lost my first chapter before I'm finished). It was about a 17-year-old boy who went into a deep state of depression after hearing that his soulmate (And long-time best friend) doesn't know what she's feeling towards him. They ended up staying separate until the boy finally struggles out of his depression to a specific extent. The boy ends up writing down everything important and relative to the events that led to the two main characters starting a deep relationship. And by the time he finishes with everything that happened up until the present, the answer of what the girl feels will be revealed, and it will define the moment of life or death; will he return to the happiness he was in, or will he jump off a bridge and end everything right there and now?

It's supposed to start out with the boy looking at a bunch of paper with many thoughts in his head about what happened to him, and then decide to express what he's feeling by writing down his current thoughts, but I decided that the prologue would just be that. In all technicality, the story is done in medias res, but it is entirely in first-person and is very hard to know if it is or not the first time you read it. Even professionals of the English language would have some problem with realizing it.

If your story's gonna lead to a flashback to the first day of school, you could have the different classmates introduced one by one after a certain number of chapters.

Hope this helps. :)

He's not new.

(Possible spoiler!?!)

Like all stories I write, we begin in medias res, where class has already long since began. The first week/month or so was boring lecture, quizzes and book learning. The remaining is exciting field work, which is where the story takes place.

If it's in medias res, we don't really need to get to know everyone right away? Pick out like 3 of the most important people and get them introduced first, we'll catch up on everyone else as the story progresses.

I'm also not really sure why there would be "spoilers" in a planning thread...the more vague it is, the harder it is to help :P

In all technicality, the story is done in medias res, but it is entirely in first-person and is very hard to know if it is or not the first time you read it. Even professionals of the English language would have some problem with realizing it.

Uh....what? The POV has nothing to do with in medias res.

Unless you're really slick about it, trying to fully Introduce us to twelve people at once is going to come across as infodumpy. Give proper introductions to a few people, and give some of the other characters a few bit lines without much elaboration just to make them exist in the background.

Hm. Reminds me of a book I was writing back then (Posted the prologue, but always lost my first chapter before I'm finished). It was about a 17-year-old boy who went into a deep state of depression after hearing that his soulmate (And long-time best friend) doesn't know what she's feeling towards him. They ended up staying separate until the boy finally struggles out of his depression to a specific extent. The boy ends up writing down everything important and relative to the events that led to the two main characters starting a deep relationship. And by the time he finishes with everything that happened up until the present, the answer of what the girl feels will be revealed, and it will define the moment of life or death; will he return to the happiness he was in, or will he jump off a bridge and end everything right there and now?

It's supposed to start out with the boy looking at a bunch of paper with many thoughts in his head about what happened to him, and then decide to express what he's feeling by writing down his current thoughts, but I decided that the prologue would just be that. In all technicality, the story is done in medias res, but it is entirely in first-person and is very hard to know if it is or not the first time you read it. Even professionals of the English language would have some problem with realizing it.

As much as this description of how this story you're not planning on writing but totally considered writing and which would have totally been so good it would have totally baffled "professionals of the English language" is absolutely fascinating, what does it have to do with anything? You're not asking for advice because you're not planning on actually writing it, and it has nothing to do with Pika's story other than the in medias res element (which is hardly a unique trait) and sheds no light on Pika's case anyhow. Other than "K, let's talk about me now, my unwritten story is so much better than James Joyce", was there a point to any of this?

Uh....what? The POV has nothing to do with in medias res.

Oh. My bad... -_-

As much as this description of how this story you're not planning on writing but totally considered writing and which would have totally been so good it would have totally baffled "professionals of the English language" is absolutely fascinating, what does it have to do with anything? You're not asking for advice because you're not planning on actually writing it, and it has nothing to do with Pika's story other than the in medias res element (which is hardly a unique trait) and sheds no light on Pika's case anyhow. Other than "K, let's talk about me now, my unwritten story is so much better than James Joyce", was there a point to any of this?

When are you gonna stop chewing me up and spitting me out? I was giving an example (A bad one, now that I think about it). Just get off my back! It's like you're waiting for me to screw up big time so that you can ban me already. When I try to help other people, you just can't let me have my way, and this persistence is starting to annoy me. Just leave me the hell alone! You always have something to say whenever I make a mistake (No matter how big or small it is). Just stop it. It's not gonna get you anywhere.

When are you gonna stop chewing me up and spitting me out? I was giving an example (A bad one, now that I think about it).

An example for whom? Pika knows what in medias res is, or he wouldn't be using it in a sentence. In fact, he actually linked to the definition (I assume, I didn't actually click on it). What exactly was your "example" supposed to illustrate? Because it doesn't actually help clarify what in medias res is...not that anyone in the conversation needed it to be clarified.

Quick questions folks, seeing how the title of this fourm is Creative Writing, does that mean this forum is open to any type of creative writing? Cuz I still get lost from time to time on YCM and I am a bit curious, as I seriously wanted to post this thread that I've been meaning to make.

A Job Application.

Quick questions folks, seeing how the title of this fourm is Creative Writing, does that mean this forum is open to any type of creative writing? Cuz I still get lost from time to time on YCM and I am a bit curious, as I seriously wanted to post this thread that I've been meaning to make.

A Job Application.

Any form as long as it conforms to the postesd rules of the subforum.

A Job Application.

Either read the rules or contact the mods.

Rules:

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/255950-ycm-creative-writing-forum-rules/

Mods:

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/114493-hydra-of-clocks/

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/20557-rinne/

If you're still mulling over how to introducing these twelve characters quickly, I agree with Crab and...everyone...that it would be tricky to do and maybe not worth it. If your character is a lurker/people-watcher, they might observe what people are doing. Generally speaking, these people are going to sort themselves into groups, so instead of introducing twelve people, you can introduce, like, two groups, an extrovert who bounces around, and a handful of loners, which would be much less repetitive description.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone of the Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse. I'm currently working on a Yu-Gi-Oh! GX fic and am in dire need assistance. I've gathered the plot of my story and am currently trying to make the Plot as original as one of these fics can get. I honestly was inspired to write one of these from reading another persons fic. Anyway my fic is in no way shape or form going to copy said persons. But back to the point. I'm finding it rather difficult to come up with my main characters deck. I've already created several characters decks and have found a format I like for their decks. Each character contains a 60 card deck. Since deck lists don't get posted. When they are in a duel and need a certain card, I'll add it to the side deck as proof that they had indeed used that card. I'll use my Kaiba character's deck as an example here. We'll call him Little Kaiba.

He is a second year of the Duelist Academy in which his Great Uncle, Seto had begun. He is the first Kaiba to actually attend the academy and has inherited the Blue-Eyes White Dragon cards from his family. Those aren't the only Blue-Eyes anymore. There are now copies of them. Just the copies have different pictures. There were only 4 of them with the original picture and one was torn in half. So only the Kaiba family had the remaining three. Anyway, he runs a straight Dragon deck that focuses on Special Summoning multiple monsters as sacrafices for the Blue-Eyes. In this deck he also has a Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon to help with that. His strongest card besides his Fusion Monsters would be Montage Dragon. He'll mainly use this to get Blue-Eyes into the grave to try and Special Summon him from the grave. This is only the first draft of his deck. All of my characters decks need to evolve from the state they are in. Which is why he runs straight Dragon's. Anyway, his deck is all about powerful monsters. He has Five-Headed Dragon and even though it isn't in use, he also has Dragon Master Knight that he obtained on a rare oppertunity.

My Main Character is Fuya Ikeda. He is a carefree duelist who duels for the fun of the game. He was never really insterested in the competitive ways of dueling. Chapter one like most chapters of a GX fic will be the entrance exam. But, it won't be like others where he has crappy circumstances and an impossible chance of winning to show off his deck. It is just another regular match. But he shows no real competitive spirit and finds himself in the middle dorm. I need deck ideas for him. A deck that can be good now, but transform into a great deck. It has to have room for improvement. I almost went with a Destiny/Elemental Hero deck. Or even an Evil Hero, but that is too much like the Anime Series. Which I want to avoid. I was thinking of giving him a deck based around Vampire Lord set and add in Cat's Ear Tribe to be in combination with Patrician of Darkness. But I'm not too sure how that'd work. That combo would only work once unless there was a card to force attacks from the opponents. But I would like my deck to feature Cat's Ear Tribe. So decks that follow that would be nice. They don't need an exact theme to follow Cat's Ear Tribe.

This fic does happen 30 years after the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Series, so I want to add in Tuners and Synchro Monsters. But just note that this is sort of their beginning. So only Pro Duelists really have them. With the exception of some of the richer kids, excluding Little Kaiba who has shown no real interest in them.

Anyway, I comprised a list of things I need help with. If you need anymore details, don't be afraid to ask. I am the one asking for help.

- Fuya's deck type, not an exact deck list.

- The dorm monsters, basically gods of this fic. Should they be created or real? Like Victory Dragon, ect.

- Any other OC's with deck types or even lists if you want to add an OC to a fic.

- Any imput on my idea of letting Little Kaiba be a female character?

" am currently trying to make the Plot as original as one of these fics can get."

"I'll use my Kaiba character's deck as an example here."

"My Main Character is Fuya Ikeda. He is a carefree duelist who duels for the fun of the game."

"Chapter one like most chapters of a GX fic will be the entrance exam."

"The dorm monsters, basically gods of this fic."

... Do you not know what original means?

As for your questions:

Choosing a Yu-Gi-Oh character's decktype is about as crucial as choosing a Jedi's lightsaber color. That is to say, it's not important in the slightest. It's just a means to the end.

If you must insist, make it something that's close to their character. Tea was a naive girl and a bad duelist, so her deck was all about terrible low level vanillas. Mako Tsunami was all about the ocean and being a fisherman. Weevil Underwood was all about bugs. Rex Raptor was a fan of dinosaurs. Describe your character's personality better and I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.

If all else fails, make up a decktype with made up cards. I had a story with a girl who loved chess but Archfiends are funking awful so I made an archetype that turns Duel Monsters into a game of chess with a field spell. Summons Pawn Tokens. King, Queen, Rook, Knight and Bishop go to opponents grave. She used Reversal of Worlds to get the 5 to her deck, because she REALLY loved Chess (as opposed to just... winning)

Dorm Gods. Unoriginal as hell. I stuck with Timaeus, Critias and Hermos when I wrote my fic. But all 3 are equal. No dorm is better or worse then the other. There's are plenty of trios in Yu-Gi-Oh.Wicked Gods, Sacred Beasts, Aesir, Egyptian Gods, Legendary Dragons. My personal favourite was those 6 Guardian Spirits from World Champion 2008. Embust, Savan, Ferrario, Grigori, Moley and Sefolile

Maybe something based on the Millenium Items? IDK.

OC's. Is this really what the Planning Thread is for? I mean, if I make a character there's a crucial reason for them existing. I can't just write [Character] [Physical Description] [Personality] [Historical Background] because their description and personality usually compliment the story. There's a reason they look the way they do and have the personality and background they do. I'm not gonna write someone else's story for them. I barely write my own stories.

I think having "Little Kaiba" is a really stupid idea. All your characters should be far removed from the source material. If I wanted to watch a ripoff of GX, I'd probably just watch GX instead of reading your story.

While I know a good amount of people tend to write Fics other than YuGiOh, I've been determined to make my new project, D-Accel, actually work somewhat well. The problem I seem to be facing is writing duels. My descriptions just aren't what I'd like them to be, and I'm not sure how to keep the dialogue fresh.

Anyone able to throw me some tips?

" am currently trying to make the Plot as original as one of these fics can get."

"I'll use my Kaiba character's deck as an example here."

"My Main Character is Fuya Ikeda. He is a carefree duelist who duels for the fun of the game."

"Chapter one like most chapters of a GX fic will be the entrance exam."

"The dorm monsters, basically gods of this fic."

... Do you not know what original means?

As for your questions:

Choosing a Yu-Gi-Oh character's decktype is about as crucial as choosing a Jedi's lightsaber color. That is to say, it's not important in the slightest. It's just a means to the end.

If you must insist, make it something that's close to their character. Tea was a naive girl and a bad duelist, so her deck was all about terrible low level vanillas. Mako Tsunami was all about the ocean and being a fisherman. Weevil Underwood was all about bugs. Rex Raptor was a fan of dinosaurs. Describe your character's personality better and I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.

If all else fails, make up a decktype with made up cards. I had a story with a girl who loved chess but Archfiends are f***ing awful so I made an archetype that turns Duel Monsters into a game of chess with a field spell. Summons Pawn Tokens. King, Queen, Rook, Knight and Bishop go to opponents grave. She used Reversal of Worlds to get the 5 to her deck, because she REALLY loved Chess (as opposed to just... winning)

Dorm Gods. Unoriginal as hell. I stuck with Timaeus, Critias and Hermos when I wrote my fic. But all 3 are equal. No dorm is better or worse then the other. There's are plenty of trios in Yu-Gi-Oh.Wicked Gods, Sacred Beasts, Aesir, Egyptian Gods, Legendary Dragons. My personal favourite was those 6 Guardian Spirits from World Champion 2008. Embust, Savan, Ferrario, Grigori, Moley and Sefolile

Maybe something based on the Millenium Items? IDK.

OC's. Is this really what the Planning Thread is for? I mean, if I make a character there's a crucial reason for them existing. I can't just write [Character] [Physical Description] [Personality] [Historical Background] because their description and personality usually compliment the story. There's a reason they look the way they do and have the personality and background they do. I'm not gonna write someone else's story for them. I barely write my own stories.

I think having "Little Kaiba" is a really stupid idea. All your characters should be far removed from the source material. If I wanted to watch a ripoff of GX, I'd probably just watch GX instead of reading your story.

Thank you for all of your imput, as harsh as it was. =D

I actually just got a feel for my character before coming and checking this site out to see if I had a response. I was reading another fic which had inspired me and now I realize what must be done. I liked this persons idea of having the character start with a Starter Deck, then modifying it, and finally coming up with their own style based on the play of that deck.

Though you don't agree with my Kaiba character, I like using Canon's in fics and really find using their children/grandchildren fun for me. Just because they have the same last name doesn't make them the same person. Once more, thank you very much for the imput. I think I can handle things from here.

I know when I think "people going to the top dueling school in the country", I think "people who don't actually have their own decks and just bought an intro pack yesterday".

Here's my question: what is it about your fic that makes it worth my time to read? You're still focusing entirely on character's decks and not at all on their personalities or role in the story, so I still see nothing of value. A deck does not make a story.

She beat me to it, but yeah. What'll make this story worth anybody's time to read? Every story has something in it that makes it worth reading. Whether it be a certain character's personality, the main character's motives, the antagonist's (If thre is one, that is) backstory conflicting with the plot, something that makes this story interesting in some way.

If you haven't figured that out, maybe I can help. If you already have, I can still probably help you out somehow.

Archived