The Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse ~ Fanfiction Public Planning Thread

Hydra of Ages

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Galaxy: I've never been particularly good with dialogue, but this page on TvTropes may be a good stepping stone.

Actually, it definitely has some useful points.

I'm thinking where I struggle the most is the actual writing of the duels; they end up sounding very repetitive. I've been writing YuGiOh fics for upwards of five years now, and this has always been the one thing that's really thrown me off.

Though you don't agree with my Kaiba character, I like using Canon's in fics and really find using their children/grandchildren fun for me.

Let's say, for example, I wrote erotic Harry Potter fanfiction.

Now I decided to introduce Voldermort's non-existant son, Nate Riddle. If I make Nate evil, half the people reading would find it boring, unoriginal, and just a rehash of the original Harry Potter. If I make Nate a good guy, the other half would complain that he's not evil enough to live up to his father's legacy. Half the fanbase wants an evil Nate, half the fanbase doesn't want an evil Nate. Since it's a game you can never win, the best course of action is to not even play.

Don't make your original characters children/grandchildren of canon characters.

in my opinion

I'm thinking where I struggle the most is the actual writing of the duels; they end up sounding very repetitive. I've been writing YuGiOh fics for upwards of five years now, and this has always been the one thing that's really thrown me off.

Yu-Gi-Oh duels are often the worst part of any fanfic. It's just boring to read, boring to look at, and boring to keep track of.

The only real way to make me (personally) willingly read a duel is if you have your plot inter spaced within the duel. Like, they duel for a minute, and then interrupt themselves for a bit of exposition.

"This is jut like old times brother! But we have a little bit more on the line now then just M&Ms."

"You mean the fate of the world?"

A character's personality should shine in everything they do, from their deck to what they say to their playstyle to what they say in between turns. And they should be saying stuff inbetween turns. Taunt each other if they're enemies. Congratulate and encourage if their friends. Reveal plot info if it's in their character to do so. If it's not a duel where anything is on the line and the people don't even know each other, it's not a duel worth including.

in my opinion

That's because duels are actually really boring and are only somewhat passable in the anime because they have shiny visuals to go with them.

I find that to be very true sometimes.

@Hatcher

It really is the most boring part, but it's also necessary in some cases, as well. In the case of my new project, I definitely have the story worked out, and I actually use story in duels to introduce more of the plot, as a way to try and get readers to at least pay attention to some of it. As a general rule, I try and make it so the majority of my duels don't last more than five turns each, unless it's an Arc-Ender, or something along those lines.

I guess the difficulty I have is keeping the dialogue fresh and whatnot in the duels themselves.

Appreciate the help guys. :)

I guess the difficulty I have is keeping the dialogue fresh and whatnot in the duels themselves.

People talk different to different people. You don't talk to your mom the same way you talk to your friends, the same way you talk to your teachers, the same way you talk to people you hate, right?

Unless the protagonist is dueling the same person 18 times in a row, he should be speaking differently to them or relating new information or something.

People talk different to different people. You don't talk to your mom the same way you talk to your friends, the same way you talk to your teachers, the same way you talk to people you hate, right?

Unless the protagonist is dueling the same person 18 times in a row, he should be speaking differently to them or relating new information or something.

I'm working on it. Really hard, actually. I've only finished and posted three episodes so far, and what I've found happening with the fourth is that I keep going through and taking a while to finish because of the dialogue. I'm trying to improve it and really establish a story in the early-going, depsite the fact that it's definitely difficult.

Was thinking about making a superhero fic, but instead of following the adventures of only one vigilante, it follows the stories of a multitude of people around the world. All of the stories would obviously be woven together eventually, though.

So far I have come up with a few character concepts, and I would like some feedback on these before I start writing.

Character A: A poor, russian physicist. He is one of the smartest people on earth, but due to his lack of money he doesn't get the publicity he deserves. At the start of his story he struggles with a project that has the potential to make him as recognised in the world of science as Leonardo da Vinci and Albert Einstein. When all looks grim he gets funded by an unlikely ally, and his project skyrockets. However, something goes terribly wrong and he is filled with a feeling of failure, and the need of revenge.

Character B: The king of a (fictional) land in the middle-east and another, very intellectual fella. He sees the potential in Character A's project and funds it, to the dismay of the other leaders of his country. He ignores their threats and carries on funding Character A's project, while also starting a few of his own. The other leaders start to conspire against their loved king, and soon a civil war breaks out. It spreads like a disease, and the king hurries to create a machine that will protect him and those close to him from the rage of war, but will he finish it in time?

Character C: A common street walker from New Jersey becomes aware that he, somehow, have the ability to speak with birds, and that they do not hesitate to follow his commands. He uses this to his advantage and commits petty crimes to feed himself, his daughter and his cancer-stricken wife. However, when his daughter is brutally killed in a fire caused by a superpowered pyromaniac, and his wife lays on her death-bed, he realizes that he have to make a mark on this world, and he knows just how to do it...

I have some more ideas, but not the time to explain them. Leave some feedback and me love you long time! G'night!

They all sound like either an antagonist or an Anti-Hero. In all honesty, I can't seem to see the connection between Character C and the other 2. Maybe the other characters you have made might have connections? Either way, I don't really see how this is a superhero story, other than the 'Superpowered pyromaniac" part, which doesn't really say much as that particuar person is known to be "Superpowered" and also titled as a pyromaniac. If that character is another one of the characters you'll be using, I doubt many people will find him interesting other than his obsession of setting everything ablaze.

That said, if this is going to be a Superhero Fic, then how many of these characters will be "Superpowered"? Would it just be the protagonists, just the antagonists, or a little bit of both? Like some protagonists won't have powers, and the same would go for the antagonists (If there are a decent amount, that is) as well.

I see your point, and a better word to use would have been superhuman, as they are all still human and most humans are neutral neither good nor evil.

As for the point on protagonists and antagonists: Character A is an anti-hero, while both B and C will be protagonists, and while A and B are connected from the start they will all be connected sooner or later. The pyromaniac will most likely be a one-shot, and the first antagonist faced by C.

And I have a group of antagonists planned for the first arc, and they are superpowered, but not all of the protagonists are. Character B, for example, have no superhuman abilities, but instead uses technology.

[spoiler=Three more characters]

Character D and E: A New York fireman with the power to absorb energy and then release it as energy blasts and is married to an exotic dancer with the power to control water, and also torpedo through the sky using the water in the air. Their marriage is crumbling, and with all that is happening around the world right now, with superhumans appearing everywhere and civil wars breaking out, it won't get any better.

Character F: A man with the power of future vision, and the ability to infuse others with malefic visions. As a child he was taken by a secret organization who used and studied his powers, but when he witnessed the terrible future he broke free, and is now searching for help to stop the incomming tragedy.

The two first are heroes and the last one is another anti-hero, but they are all good guys. I don't feel like spoiling the bi9g bads, in case I actually go through with this.

• 3 weeks later...

So here's my idea for a premise:

There's a girl (because all my protagonists are girls for some reason) with kind of a weird power. Anytime she touches an item someone else just touched, she kind of looks like she has a stroke for a split second and then she's back to normal and she knows everything there is to know about the last person to touch the item. Cops use her for huge, unsolved cases and such.

But there's a thing about her power. Whenever she looks like she pauses for just a second, in her mind she's actually living 70 or 80 years. She lives out the lives of the last person to touch whatever item she just touchd from the moment they're born to the moment they die (even if death is in the distant future, even if the person is already dead), and after their death she's back to her "normal" life.

Naturally, this made her rather harsh, cynical and distant (she's lived thousands of years, in her mind. Experienced love, loss, motherhood, fatherhood, army training, prison, and so many different other things) and no one else can seem to understand her. She's also ridiculously smart and rather varied in her interests, having 100s of lifetimes to go to college for many different majors, having 100s of lifetimes who had many different and varying careers give her mastery of weird and random things.

She wears gloves all the time, so she doesn't accidentally trigger her power and, for the most part, sees her power as a terrible curse. Knowing how everyone dies and having no way to help them, being completely unable to move for 80-ish years in her mind (she's just a viewer and has no input into anything she watches, but she does share their feelings)

But... that's just a vague premise. No idea on what a story would be. I think either her plan to get out of her terrible job or make it easier on herself, or some kind of stupid ridiculous adventure. Thoughts? Ideas? >_>

There's a girl (because all my protagonists are girls for some reason) with kind of a weird power. Anytime she touches an item someone else just touched, she kind of looks like she has a stroke for a split second and then she's back to normal and she knows everything there is to know about the last person to touch the item. Cops use her for huge, unsolved cases and such.

Interesting enough; so is she a psychic of some kind? Does she have any abilities or is it just this weird power?

But there's a thing about her power. Whenever she looks like she pauses for just a second, in her mind she's actually living 70 or 80 years. She lives out the lives of the last person to touch whatever item she just touchd from the moment they're born to the moment they die (even if death is in the distant future, even if the person is already dead), and after their death she's back to her "normal" life.

So while it's just a split second to those around her, is she actually experiencing all of this in "real-time"?

Naturally, this made her rather harsh, cynical and distant (she's lived thousands of years, in her mind. Experienced love, loss, motherhood, fatherhood, army training, prison, and so many different other things) and no one else can seem to understand her. She's also ridiculously smart and rather varied in her interests, having 100s of lifetimes to go to college for many different majors, having 100s of lifetimes who had many different and varying careers give her mastery of weird and random things.

So she's like a super genius with all sorts of interesting abilities due to immense amounts of knowledge. How old does she appear to be to those around her?

She wears gloves all the time, so she doesn't accidentally trigger her power and, for the most part, sees her power as a terrible curse. Knowing how everyone dies and having no way to help them, being completely unable to move for 80-ish years in her mind (she's just a viewer and has no input into anything she watches, but she does share their feelings)

But... that's just a vague premise. No idea on what a story would be. I think either her plan to get out of her terrible job or make it easier on herself, or some kind of stupid ridiculous adventure. Thoughts? Ideas? >_>

I like the premise, I think, but without some kind of storyline I'm not really sure how interesting you can make it. Sure, following her story and getting to know her emotions and stuff would be cool at first, but you couldn't get more than maybe one story arc out of that. How do you plan on following it up?

Yeah, I like the idea, but if she's constantly touching stuff, you have to use a bunch of chapters laaying out somebody's life, and if you don't, it would usually seem sloppy. I might read it, but if you don't use the idea to its full extent, it migh not be worth reading, in my opinion.

Interesting enough; so is she a psychic of some kind? Does she have any abilities or is it just this weird power?

Just a weird power. Other outside people might assume she's psychic but that's cause she doesn't tell them the truth. She knows everything about people, knows all about their past, knows about their future, know what they think, know how they'll die.

I always prefer the idea that when I write a story with a normal individual in the "normal" world having a peculiar power it's best not to get into the details of how it is they got their power or how their power works or the science behind it. I don't wanna crap all over my story with "midichlorians" and try to scientifically prove how all this works. It happens, that's all you need to know to enjoy the story. Willful suspension of disbelief.

So while it's just a split second to those around her, is she actually experiencing all of this in "real-time"?

If she's processing a person who lives to be 75, it doesn't feel to her like seventy five years have all been super compressed and she hit the fastforward button to squeeze it into one half second. It feels to her like she is living all 75 years at normal time.

So she's like a super genius with all sorts of interesting abilities due to immense amounts of knowledge. How old does she appear to be to those around her?

She looks... IDK how old. Young woman. Early 20s?

As for how old does she appear, most people don't really spend time with her because she seems like a weirdo crazy person. She's cold and detached (from her many lifetimes of being alive) and she rubs people the wrong way so they avoid talking to her. No one gets to know her very well so they can't particularly say how old she appears.

Yeah, I like the idea, but if she's constantly touching stuff,

She wears gloves. Maybe they're special gloves? But in whatever case, the gloves she wears prevent the power from being triggered accidentally.

I might read it, but if you don't use the idea to its full extent, it migh not be worth reading, in my opinion.

The way I was thinking of writing it would be through her perspective, in her cold and detached mannerism. Lifetimes become kind of a routine, and she can glance over an entire person's lifetime in a single paragraph.

I was there firsthand for Michael's birth. I experienced the excitement of his first birthday. I saw his first day of school and how panicked and afraid he was of the other students. He fought the school bully in the third grade, earning him his first scar. Fortunately he left a worse one on the bully. I felt the feeling of hatred in his heart when his baby sister was announced, and I felt it all melt away when she was born. I felt the nervousness of Michael's first kiss on the ferris wheel at the summer carnival in the 7th grade, his worry over getting into one of the Magnet High Schools, and the harassment by the football players in high school. His prom date, losing his virginity, anxiety over the SATs and going to college, all these experiences were mine as well. He went to college, and together we both learned quantum physics. I saw his wedding, his first born daughter, and I saw the murderer out of the corner of my eye. I watched as Michael glanced at the gunman in the mirror, saw the bullet pass through him, and felt a searing pain before returning to my sense.

I snapped out of my 30 year old life, returning to the offices of BoEaS. "His wife." I stated coldly, clutching the bullet in my hand. "She killed him."

Something like that. Or... less poorly written since that was quick and spur-of-the-moment.

I like it, but I think that you can go further with this premise. You say people wouldn't truly understand how cold and detached she feels towards other people. Well, let's say there is another person out there with this power (Particularly a male) that nobody knows about. He touches an object the girl touched previously and goes through her life. This concept can be used to show how wrong she is about saying that nobody can understand how she feels.

But the kicker is, that you don't introduce this male for a while. You wait until enough of this girl's backstory and emotions towards particular situations is revealed before you introduce the male and cause actual character development along with change towards the girl's overall attitude.

Hope this helps somewhat.

I like it, but I think that you can go further with this premise. You say people wouldn't truly understand how cold and detached she feels towards other people. Well, let's say there is another person out there with this power (Particularly a male) that nobody knows about. He touches an object the girl touched previously and goes through her life. This concept can be used to show how wrong she is about saying that nobody can understand how she feels.

But the kicker is, that you don't introduce this male for a while. You wait until enough of this girl's backstory and emotions towards particular situations is revealed before you introduce the male and cause actual character development along with change towards the girl's overall attitude.

Hope this helps somewhat.

I wrote a tl;dr post about how much I didn't like that idea, but the more I wrote into it, the more it kind of grew on me.

Not as a deuteragonist though. She's cold and detached, so she wouldn't want to make friends (she's made literally millions in other lifetimes). The point of the story is isolation, so to suddenly have her make a friend would completely undercut the entire point of the story. Rather, if there was a second person who had similar powers to her (or even simply, who knew of her powers) he'd be better as an antagonist. The villain of the story.

Or even the hero of the story, through some people's eyes.

The way I imagine it, the girl is so isolated and devoid of emotion that even if she could easily save someone's life she wouldn't do it. Even if it was something as simple as calling a phone number and warning them or calling the police. She views herself as just an outside observer of people's life, and she doesn't see why she should bother with helping people. She's experienced death (her own, and those of thousands of loved ones) through her many lifetimes and because of that she just plain doesn't care if one person lives or dies. She leaves the caring to the other people in the world.

The "villain" however, uses his tricks to murder other, worse people. Vigilante justice and what not. He spots a bullet near a dead body in the alley and picks it up. He sees the life of the last person to touch the bullet (ie: The guy who got shot by it) and sees the person who killed him. Since the "villain" also has the experience, skills and knowledge of a bomb maker, a martial artist, a teacher, a mother, a father, a police officer, hundreds of criminals, and a thousand other lifetimes behind him he's able to skillfully execute serial rapists, murderers, etc etc.

And it's up to [Protagonist] to stop him?! o_0

The main thing is I don't see what someone else with her powers would accomplish. =\

If she has to find out life's not so terrible after all, I'd prefer it if she found out because she saw the beauty in human life and the beauty in her own life because of other people, not because she found someone else to share it with.

"You have a truly unique, one-in-a-million power. The only other person who will ever fully connect with you is someone else with that same one-in-a-million power."

That's a terrible morale note to end on, because what then if she loses that person? Or what if she just plain doesn't like him? If you were the last blonde haired, blue eyed man in the world, should you marry a blonde haired, blue eyed woman just so the blonde + blue eyed genes could live on forever, even if you didn't particularly care for her? Of course not.

I don't think you're suggesting the story be turned into a love story (men and women can be friends without sizzling sexual tension) but it just seems counter intuitive to start with a girl who's distant and cold who suddenly turns un-distant and un-cold because she found someone who was just as distant and cold as she was.

I'd prefer the ultimate lesson at the end of the day to be: "You're alone and no one will ever fully understand you. And that's okay."

Though truth be told, I never write any of the stories I write down here (Cleansed literally took me a year, from first post here to first chapter posted).

to the moment they die (even if death is in the distant future,

You've created a deterministic universe in which the future is set in stone and can be viewed from the past. This is either a can of worms you really don't want to open (and so just having her live their life up until the present moment or death, whichever comes first, would be better) or a wellspring that you're completely neglecting ("if the future can't be changed, why bother helping people?" could reinforce her reluctance to act, and you can probably get a lot out of her living the lives of other people who see her in the future).

I'm inclined to suggest that he "memories" (not exactly memories since some come from the future) are compressed even though you said you didn't want that, because I think it would probably still produce the desired effect if she had hundreds of years of memories, even if she didn't experience them in mental real-time per se. Also, her trying to sort out the decades of memories would be more useful for the mystery/detective angle, depending on how much you want to focus on that. And I think reading a jumbled, psychotic concrete poem-type-thing of a person's life would be kind of awesome.

F***. You need to write this.

You've created a deterministic universe in which the future is set in stone and can be viewed from the past. This is either a can of worms you really don't want to open (and so just having her live their life up until the present moment or death, whichever comes first, would be better) or a wellspring that you're completely neglecting ("if the future can't be changed, why bother helping people?" could reinforce her reluctance to act, and you can probably get a lot out of her living the lives of other people who see her in the future).

Good point here which I actually managed not to think of.

You may want to hesitate on her receiving "memories from the future" actually, unless you have a good out to this sort of scenario:

Suppose she gets a read on the killer. What exactly does she see? Does she see the future that would have panned out if she didn't now know the killer's identity? Or does she see the future where an hour from now the twelfth precinct knocks on the killer's door? And if said killer then learned about that future...well, then she would see the future where he knew about the future she saw, so then he would know about the future where he knew about the future and then my brain turns to oatmeal.

TIME TRAVEL FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I've actually had various thoughts upon how exactly her power works:

1: It only works on people who've died

If it only works on dead people then her entire character has to be rewritten. She could easily have lived a completely normal-ish little girl life until she touched something way, way later on in life. The fact that she's been forced to deal with this pretty much from the instant she was born (when she touched the blanket the nurse wrapped her in) contributes to her morbidness, her coldness, and all that. I also don't wanna do it for personal reasons. I've already written about a female who works with the police and uses an unconventional supernatural thing to get assistance from the dead. I don't wanna retread down that path.

2: It only works up to a certain time

I gave it some thought and the closest way I could figure this would work be it only works up until they've let go of the item in question. Say she was given a pen that some guy wrote with. She sees his entire life up until the very last time he touched the pen. Any other way would just raise countless other questions. If she can continue seeing his life afterwards, the question becomes "what happens if she keeps holding the pen?" His life is still being written in "real-time", but she's on super duper fast forward time. Also if she puts the pen in a plastic box and comes back to it 4 years later, would she recieve the 4 years memory or would it be the original memory plus the four years added on?

3: Future is set in stone

I'm kind of okay with that, mainly because it further emphasizes how little she gives a damn about the world. And perhaps the future can be changed, but she just doesn't care enough to try after seeing hundreds of people die, after seeing many people lose their life savings, after losing the love of her life, 800 times, it's just not important to her that any one single person lives over any other person. And yes, her seeing other people who would logically know her in the future (like her mother or her bosses, or any random person who has access to a TV and lottery numbers) would be beneficial, but she takes great pains to only use her powers when necessary (because naturally, it's mentally taxing to have to live someone elses's life so many times). She sees no benefit to her power, she just does as she's told.

Suppose she gets a read on the killer. What exactly does she see? Does she see the future that would have panned out if she didn't now know the killer's identity? Or does she see the future where an hour from now the twelfth precinct knocks on the killer's door?

My thinking was the second one. She sees the policemen knocking on his door because she told them to knock on his door. I'll admit it's a bit of a mindscrew but ultimately I just wanted the story to remain consistent.

In any case, I could always go with the "none-of-the-above" option. Make what exactly she sees never all that clear to the readers and never go out of my way to fully define the limits of her powers. The people whose lives the audience gets to see only just-so-happen to be dead people (since the police would only bring her items for unsolved murders) and anything else could be left to the reader to decide.

On a completely unrelated note, another idea is that the story just plain isn't told through her perspective. I had an idea where the girl is kind of an insane hermit living in a shack in the woods, but still known as a legend by the police for her powers. It's been about 10-or-so years and they assume she's gone and died, but now they're on some insanely complex case. So some random rookie cop goes to try and find the hermit lady in the woods and ask for her help. And then... hilarity ensues!?

F***. You need to write this.

It'd probably take a long time. I like to have my stories very well planned out, and I'm a little too busy right this second. Maybe later.

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago, I wrote fanfics.

In German.

Got decent reviews, but anything longer than a longer oneshot was never finished.

One of those stories was "A Yugioh Fairytale", which was basically a crackfic with Yugioh GX characters going through some fairytale Yugimonz world and me poking fun at them (essentially stuff like Zane/Ryo being a forever-alone king who tries to cure his inferiority complexes with electric shocks, Jaden being a bit idio- no wait that's sort of canon, Atticus coming with his surf planch out of nowhere and doing ukelele song intermezzos, Bastion being an SM-sort of mad scientist with questionable methods and so on).

It wasn't a literary masterpiece (I don't write well lol), but damn did I love writing it.@.@ Yeah I know it's was unfunny as it sounds, but dunno. It's that sort of story that gets me going.

Now tonight, Opal's mind said, bring it back! In English this time!

So brought back it shall be.

The only issue is that I've been completely out of touch with the Yugioh franchise since GX stopped and Chaos Emperor Dragon was the hottest new thing in town.>.>

So if some of you guys could put me up-to-date/link to key episodes of 5D's and Zexal/give me summary descriptions about various characters or cards, it would be great. (Hell I might even put you in there.) I'd suggest to do it via PM or so because the topic will be filled with things-people-don't-care-about soon.:'3

Wikia links work fine, I just don't know where to start because it's been a while.>.<

Aesirson here, looking for some advice!

I have this idea for a fantasy story involving the four Elements, Light and Darkness, that kind of stuff.

The setting is this: A steampunkish world inspired mainly by the mythological old Norse (yea, the vikings didn't really have the castle-like halls shown in films), ancient Greece and ancient Asia. This world is connected to the Spirit World, a world where mythological beings such as dragons, elementals and the like are said to come from. Normal human beings are not able to travel to the Spirit World, and spiritual creatures aren't usually able to traverse the border either.

There are, however, certain humans who are born with five souls within themselves. These five souls are the human's own soul as well as four spirirts representing the four elements. Usually, there are no signs of the four "hitch-hikers" until the human reaches their mid-teens (15-17) which is when the spirits mature and the human can learn to control the four elements with the help of the spirits who share his or her body. While not exactly rare, human beings with elemental spirits are uncommon, and only about one in ten children has five souls when they are born.

The story itself is about a girl who is one of these humans, who wants to join her country's army and fellow "spirirt-owners" to help stop a revolution that is brewing in the land's capital. Although before she can do this she must learn how to control and commune with the spirits who live within her, which is probably what the first part of the story would be about.

I'm still polishing on the details. I have yet to come up with names for any characters, places or terms. The prototype term for a person with five souls is elementalist, but I feel, since it is a word that would be used quite a lot in the story, that it is too long and has too many syllables for it to be "comfortable" to read so often.

Any thoughts, suggestions or just rant relating to this?

Archived