[AoS] Signature Archetype - Mysterious Magicians [40/40]

Anbu-of-Sand

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow....Simply amazing! I have not been on this site for a long time and this post was a great way to re-start my experience. Spellcasters are my second favorite type of monster, for reasons that are evident in your cards. Versatility, and I love to use effects with spell counters as well. The effects and pics are great as well 11/10

Alright, you asked for it (literally), so let's give it a go!

Spell Counters were always one of my favourite themes in the game, I use them often and basically like it when they're used...

Let's Start with the Effect Monsters, shall we?

Zane Zillios and Xand Xilia: I already see a pattern going on here... and I can't complain, it's a solid idea for avoiding boring names, that's for sure :lol: The Supreme Spell Counters are a nice idea as the evolution of the normal Spell Counters, but since they draw their power from Spell Cards in your Graveyard, they're basically the same, just that they can take this power from the past... something like that. Other than that, the effects are basic, but useful, one focussing on removing from play (which could come in handy in "cross-overs") and one revolving around Life Points. If you can keep it up to assign every Effect Monster another "focus", you already deserve a Rep alone for that ;)

Queen Quickening: Alright, I'm sold to this set. This card is great! Making your opponent choosing the phases they skip is... kinda tricky, because you have to skip the same phases... and don't get me started on that last effect, if you roll a 4 (Battle Phase, isn't it?), this kills some Decks completely... I recommend limiting the "duration" of that effect (5 turns, as long as this card remains face-up on the field, something like that), because otherwise it could get rather unfair, even if it's luck based.

Mixed Manipulations: It should be "then", not "than"... I guess I should mention that now, because I saw it once before :P It's another tactical card, distributing Spell Counters to your liking can be crucial in sets like this, so it's a necessity. Other than that (and this is "than" now, not "then"), we have another nice effect on the bottom half, though "drawing" two cards and limiting your opponent like that (while it also could be that you give them more options if their hand was bad) could be kinda powerful... maybe too powerful *dramatic tension!*... maybe activating the first effect only if the first two cards in your Graveyard are Spell Cards? Oh wait, they are anyways, because you had to use some of them in order to get this far... eh, forget it, it's a nice effect.

Armed Assassination: Maybe the disabling costs are a bit low for the card, since it's a Level 4 as well, but it's a solid effect. I like the idea of spending the other Counter later and having the option, it leaves more space for tactical decisions.

Book Bionics (the names get more ridiculous...): Now we only need a way to distribute Spell Counters on your opponents side of the field (or a mirror match) to make this effect any useful... the idea is nice, and maybe there's some support hidden in this set (I review them as they come), but for now, since you don't negate anything, I can't see it's uses (besides for said mirror match). The idea is nice and original... maybe I can spot the support, give me a second...

Card Control: I know I shouldn't complain about balancing (I'm bad at this myself), but destroying one card for one Spell Counter is too much. Arcane Magician (or whoever he is... that Synchro Monster with 400 ATK that get's ATK for Spell Counters... he would be great in combination with Mixed Manipulations :blink: ) does basically the same, but looses ATK each time and doesn't get any Spell Counters later on... you should consider to change the cost to 2 or 3 Counters. The rest is basic stuff, the drawing effect is nice (though the Library draws 1 for 3, just as an example), the revealing effect even finer.

Death Defections: Burden of the Mighty... I hate that card. Other than that, it's alright, the drawback is neat and makes it balanced (I think, again, I have no idea of the TCG), and overall maybe not the most original card, but a fair addition to the set.

Evil Effects (sounds scary already...): Basic Stuff is basic, but the lower levels should be basic, shouldn't they? Maybe the name isn't that fitting (how about "Notorious Negater"... just kidding), but overall... solid... I'm using this word a lot, don't I?

False Faces: I love beatsticks with drawbacks :) I like how the effects work really well together on this card, pretty original and far more than solid.

God's Galaxy (now we're digging into deep s***...): High risk, high return, I love it. If you can predict what the card is because you send it there (synergy with Armed Assassination, even without paying the second Spell Counter), that would make it a pretty nice combo. Seriously though, the name sucks (blame god for this :D)

Ill Illusions: Keycard! It's a keycard! A really nice idea, and I think the most synergious (that's not a word, is it?) in this set yet (even more than MM). This makes even your basic staples like Mirror Force work for this set, a great idea that could support the Spell Counter Archetype like no other. It also allows you to gain Spell Counters during your opponents turn... have yet to find a card that uses Spell Counters during your opponents turn, but I'm not through with the set, maybe there's more to come.

Jack Jesterin: Meh picture... but another nice card overall. It's powerful, but the devastating drawback for this set could cost you a lot, if not a whole turn... you better make use of the time you buy with that. Requires a lot of tactic to use, which I like a lot.

Raw Restrictions: Devastating. In a Meta-Game (yeah, I actually know something about it) where Special Summoning is everything, this is gamebreaking. Literally, it's too powerful. Thunder King Rai-Oh must be tributed to use his effect, and Royal Oppression requires you to pay Life Points and can be used by both players... increase the cost (3 Spell Counters, it would still be a reusable Rai-Oh) or build in another drawback that makes up for it. Pic, name and effect flow well together, which speaks for the card, so just change the effect a bit.

Soul Searching: Another plus for pic-name-effect flow, I like it. It's basic yeah, but since we're heading down the ladder, that's natural.

Urged Utilization: Basic effect with a little twist... you could have a lot of Spell Counters out, but the drawback makes up for it. A nice card with a neat twist.

Vague Villains (another meh name...): I smell balancing issues! Add a "cannot be tributed etc." phrase to it, otherwise this will end up broken. Other than that, your basic control switching effect with a little drawback, which is imho not little enough to make up for the additional power you could gain by that.

Young Years: Neat idea, another nice pic-name-effect flow, it's a more balanced version of Gale (who is seriously broken btw.) that works with Spell Counters. Not groundbreaking, but nice.

Pure Paper: Now we're milling? I mean, it's a nice effect overall, but does it really fit in this set? It doesn't really help that much imho, but in itself, as a sucker for Iron Chain Mill Decks, I like it a lot.

Leved Levels: Level manipulation... hmm, the additional costs aren't really needed, unless you can somehow make use of the cards in your RFP Zone (I mean in this set). Seen before though, nothing too fancy, but it's a Tuner, so I'll let it slide, this set needs one too (were there more, I didn't pay attention to that).

Winged Waves: Powerful card with an interesting drawback. But not being able to set cards isn't probably that much of a hassle in this Deck, since you're relying on Spell Cards most of the time anyway. But it's interesting and provides some tactical usage.

Twin Telepathy: And now we're throwing hand destruction in as well... this set is full of miracles :lol: Another great pic-name-effect card, effect is awesome... yeah, as you can see, commenting on that many cards in a row burns you...

That's why I'm stopping here. You asked for it, here's the result ;) I'll probably comment on the other cards tomorrow (remember me of it should I forget it).

But let me say, from what I've seen so far: I'm impressed. Some cards have very unique effects, some are basic, but as a whole, this set really stands out. Expect the final words tomorrow, for now, I can't comment anymore.

So long,

Spoon

wow....Simply amazing! I have not been on this site for a long time and this post was a great way to re-start my experience. Spellcasters are my second favorite type of monster, for reasons that are evident in your cards. Versatility, and I love to use effects with spell counters as well. The effects and pics are great as well 11/10

Why thank you for the kind CnC :) Rep will be given ASAP.

Alright, you asked for it (literally), so let's give it a go!

Spell Counters were always one of my favourite themes in the game, I use them often and basically like it when they're used...

Let's Start with the Effect Monsters, shall we?

Yes we shall.

Zane Zillios and Xand Xilia: I already see a pattern going on here... and I can't complain, it's a solid idea for avoiding boring names, that's for sure :lol: The Supreme Spell Counters are a nice idea as the evolution of the normal Spell Counters, but since they draw their power from Spell Cards in your Graveyard, they're basically the same, just that they can take this power from the past... something like that. Other than that, the effects are basic, but useful, one focussing on removing from play (which could come in handy in "cross-overs") and one revolving around Life Points. If you can keep it up to assign every Effect Monster another "focus", you already deserve a Rep alone for that ;)

Well that's good to hear :)

Queen Quickening: Alright, I'm sold to this set. This card is great! Making your opponent choosing the phases they skip is... kinda tricky, because you have to skip the same phases... and don't get me started on that last effect, if you roll a 4 (Battle Phase, isn't it?), this kills some Decks completely... I recommend limiting the "duration" of that effect (5 turns, as long as this card remains face-up on the field, something like that), because otherwise it could get rather unfair, even if it's luck based.

I see, this is why I chose the Spellcasters to be so flexible. This card may be hard to use, but with all the different strategies this Archetype has (Beatdown, Burn, Mill), getting a 4 would completely helpful.

Mixed Manipulations: It should be "then", not "than"... I guess I should mention that now, because I saw it once before :P It's another tactical card, distributing Spell Counters to your liking can be crucial in sets like this, so it's a necessity. Other than that (and this is "than" now, not "then"), we have another nice effect on the bottom half, though "drawing" two cards and limiting your opponent like that (while it also could be that you give them more options if their hand was bad) could be kinda powerful... maybe too powerful *dramatic tension!*... maybe activating the first effect only if the first two cards in your Graveyard are Spell Cards? Oh wait, they are anyways, because you had to use some of them in order to get this far... eh, forget it, it's a nice effect.

I always get confused with then / than xD

Armed Assassination: Maybe the disabling costs are a bit low for the card, since it's a Level 4 as well, but it's a solid effect. I like the idea of spending the other Counter later and having the option, it leaves more space for tactical decisions.

Yes, yes it does.

Book Bionics (the names get more ridiculous...): Now we only need a way to distribute Spell Counters on your opponents side of the field (or a mirror match) to make this effect any useful... the idea is nice, and maybe there's some support hidden in this set (I review them as they come), but for now, since you don't negate anything, I can't see it's uses (besides for said mirror match). The idea is nice and original... maybe I can spot the support, give me a second...

You most likely misread it's effect. This works outside of mirror matches. It's kinda like Dark Deal. For example, say your opponent activates Monster Reborn, instead, the effect of Monster Reborn makes the person who activated the card lose 200 points of damage for every Spell Counter on the opposite side of the field. Makes sense now? And I kinda got low on names, so I did my best.

Card Control: I know I shouldn't complain about balancing (I'm bad at this myself), but destroying one card for one Spell Counter is too much. Arcane Magician (or whoever he is... that Synchro Monster with 400 ATK that get's ATK for Spell Counters... he would be great in combination with Mixed Manipulations :blink: ) does basically the same, but looses ATK each time and doesn't get any Spell Counters later on... you should consider to change the cost to 2 or 3 Counters. The rest is basic stuff, the drawing effect is nice (though the Library draws 1 for 3, just as an example), the revealing effect even finer.

Good to know

Death Defections: Burden of the Mighty... I hate that card. Other than that, it's alright, the drawback is neat and makes it balanced (I think, again, I have no idea of the TCG), and overall maybe not the most original card, but a fair addition to the set.

Thought the archetype needed some basic stuff to it.

Evil Effects (sounds scary already...): Basic Stuff is basic, but the lower levels should be basic, shouldn't they? Maybe the name isn't that fitting (how about "Notorious Negater"... just kidding), but overall... solid... I'm using this word a lot, don't I?

Why yes you are.

False Faces: I love beatsticks with drawbacks :) I like how the effects work really well together on this card, pretty original and far more than solid.

Good to know...again xD

God's Galaxy (now we're digging into deep s***...): High risk, high return, I love it. If you can predict what the card is because you send it there (synergy with Armed Assassination, even without paying the second Spell Counter), that would make it a pretty nice combo. Seriously though, the name sucks (blame god for this :D)

Once again, was low on card names.

Ill Illusions: Keycard! It's a keycard! A really nice idea, and I think the most synergious (that's not a word, is it?) in this set yet (even more than MM). This makes even your basic staples like Mirror Force work for this set, a great idea that could support the Spell Counter Archetype like no other. It also allows you to gain Spell Counters during your opponents turn... have yet to find a card that uses Spell Counters during your opponents turn, but I'm not through with the set, maybe there's more to come.

There is MUCH more to come.

Jack Jesterin: Meh picture... but another nice card overall. It's powerful, but the devastating drawback for this set could cost you a lot, if not a whole turn... you better make use of the time you buy with that. Requires a lot of tactic to use, which I like a lot.

Yes it does. (I said that already didn't I?

Raw Restrictions: Devastating. In a Meta-Game (yeah, I actually know something about it) where Special Summoning is everything, this is gamebreaking. Literally, it's too powerful. Thunder King Rai-Oh must be tributed to use his effect, and Royal Oppression requires you to pay Life Points and can be used by both players... increase the cost (3 Spell Counters, it would still be a reusable Rai-Oh) or build in another drawback that makes up for it. Pic, name and effect flow well together, which speaks for the card, so just change the effect a bit.

Will think about it, but I think the Life Point game is enough already. If my opponent swarms out 2 monsters and I negate the Summons, that gives them a +1600.

Soul Searching: Another plus for pic-name-effect flow, I like it. It's basic yeah, but since we're heading down the ladder, that's natural.

The archetype need it's own mini Magical Exemplar xP

Urged Utilization: Basic effect with a little twist... you could have a lot of Spell Counters out, but the drawback makes up for it. A nice card with a neat twist.

Thank you.

Vague Villains (another meh name...): I smell balancing issues! Add a "cannot be tributed etc." phrase to it, otherwise this will end up broken. Other than that, your basic control switching effect with a little drawback, which is imho not little enough to make up for the additional power you could gain by that.

True, true.

Young Years: Neat idea, another nice pic-name-effect flow, it's a more balanced version of Gale (who is seriously broken btw.) that works with Spell Counters. Not groundbreaking, but nice.

Thank you, again.

Pure Paper: Now we're milling? I mean, it's a nice effect overall, but does it really fit in this set? It doesn't really help that much imho, but in itself, as a sucker for Iron Chain Mill Decks, I like it a lot.

The Magicians have tons of different tactics. With 26 monsters, all with a bunch of Spell Counter resolved effects, they have the power to mill, burn, beatdown, bounce, and so on. Which can lead to a bunch of different Decks you can make out of these, but the real challenge combining all these tactics into one.

Leved Levels: Level manipulation... hmm, the additional costs aren't really needed, unless you can somehow make use of the cards in your RFP Zone (I mean in this set). Seen before though, nothing too fancy, but it's a Tuner, so I'll let it slide, this set needs one too (were there more, I didn't pay attention to that).

Um, the above card was a Tuner xD

Winged Waves: Powerful card with an interesting drawback. But not being able to set cards isn't probably that much of a hassle in this Deck, since you're relying on Spell Cards most of the time anyway. But it's interesting and provides some tactical usage.

Yup.

Twin Telepathy: And now we're throwing hand destruction in as well... this set is full of miracles :lol: Another great pic-name-effect card, effect is awesome... yeah, as you can see, commenting on that many cards in a row burns you...

Yes it does

That's why I'm stopping here. You asked for it, here's the result ;) I'll probably comment on the other cards tomorrow (remember me of it should I forget it).

Great!

But let me say, from what I've seen so far: I'm impressed. Some cards have very unique effects, some are basic, but as a whole, this set really stands out. Expect the final words tomorrow, for now, I can't comment anymore.

So long,

Spoon

Thanks for all the CnC on some of the cards, your Rep will be given ASAP.

The Magicians Jack in a Box

Name:lolwut?

Pic:great 9/10

Effect:Intresting and good

Balance: good balance

OCG:good

Overall: 9/10

The Magicians Hidden Reinforcements

Name:Pretty Good

Pic:Good

Effect:Pretty good

Balance:Good

OCG: Good

Wow...... This comment is SO bland i feel bad that im gonna post it like this :unsure:

Uhmmm, Well ill try to store up some comment juice for the next time to post somthing, Another rep for you~

The Magicians Jack in a Box

Name:lolwut?

Pic:great 9/10

Effect:Intresting and good

Balance: good balance

OCG:good

Name:Pretty Good

Pic:Good

Effect:Pretty good

Balance:Good

OCG: Good

Wow...... This comment is SO bland i feel bad that im gonna post it like this :unsure:

Uhmmm, Well ill try to store up some comment juice for the next time to post somthing, Another rep for you~

Thanks for the CnC :). Reps will be given ASAP.

jack in a box

great for p**sing your opponent off by fattening their decks, which could also be bad for you. mixed feelings for this card, might be useful, or not. 8/10

pretty useful, can be used for stall, at least 400 damage, tribute fodder, or quick spell counters. the downside is that your opponent needs to control at least 2 more monsters than you, which means your probably only be able to use it after getting nuked by mirror force or lightning vortex, unless you have bad field management of course, resulting in the field advantage of your opponent. 9/10

jack in a box

great for p**sing your opponent off by fattening their decks, which could also be bad for you. mixed feelings for this card, might be useful, or not. 8/10

I can call this useful IMO. Seeing it can dodge cards like Stardust Dragon with bouncing and all.

pretty useful, can be used for stall, at least 400 damage, tribute fodder, or quick spell counters. the downside is that your opponent needs to control at least 2 more monsters than you, which means your probably only be able to use it after getting nuked by mirror force or lightning vortex, unless you have bad field management of course, resulting in the field advantage of your opponent. 9/10

I wouldn't really call it a downside, since the current Meta can swarm like crazy. xD

I have given all the Reps I have owed in this thread so far, all except Grand_Hokage_Tsunade that is D: Will give her Rep as soon as I can give Reps again. Another thing, 7 more posts until 2 new cards! I'm just getting closer and closer to finishing this archetype and reaching 10 pages for it as well! :D

Alright, let's finish this... FATALITY!

Sorry, let myself go there :lol:

Extra Deck Monsters are up next:

Hard Hammerheads: An interesting idea, especially if you can predict the Monster/Spell/Trap ratio in your opponent's Deck... or if you're just horribly lucky. The other effect... well, a little burn is certainly not the worst thing you can do, and in your basic Mill/Burn Deck this would do pretty well, as it also has a pretty high ATK. A minor problem I have: Does your opponent always get to return cards from their Graveyard or only when damage is inflicted? In the first case, this effect would more likely help your opponent than weaken them, in the later, your opponent must be really low on health or have a huge Graveyard to make it worthwhile... which at least in said Deck wouldn't be that rare. Tactical use required, which is, as always, a plus.

I guess there's no avoiding this, as I see that the Levitating Citadel is in the next card as well, I'll review it now:

Levitating Citadel: Ah, looks like the heart and soul of this set. It's your factory for Spell Counters, and it does it's job quite well... I just have a little balancing issue when it comes to the "remove 2 Spell Counters instead of destruction" effect... it's pretty hard to kill off that way, since you also get 2 each turn. Since everything Spell Counter related to this card is dividable by 2 (does that word even exist), you could also reduce the maximum of Spell Counters to 4 and place 1 Spell Counter on it per turn, while still maintaining the 2 Spell Counters per turn cost. Also, returning a huge amount Spell Cards (which you'll most likely have in a Deck utilizing this set) should be connected with some more costs than just Spell Counters... I'd say you destroy this card as well, as an "ultimate offering", so to speak.

Another idea that came to my mind (which you don't need to listen to if you don't want to) is raising the SC limit to 5 (1 per turn) and including into the effect that you can either a) freely distribute Spell Counters equal to the number of Spell Counters on the Citadel (could be a bit overpowered) or B) give 1 to each monster you control, but up to the number of Spell Counters on this card (so if you have only 1 Spell Counter on it, you can only give one, lightly punishing you if you have to save this card from destruction by removing Counters)... that's a lot on one card, you don't need to consider everything ;)

Where were I? Oh yes, the Extra Deck...

Old Offenses: Ah, we're at level manipulation again, hurray :) Well, it corresponds with the Tuner, so why not? Those are interesting effects that work well together. The "Citadel Effect" is alright, since you can select the cards your opponent discards, you can play around the drawback, but in some situations you'd rather give your opponent a +1 (Black Hole) than rsiking something like this (or is this a randomized process? Do you look at the cards while selecting or are you selecting them randomly?). I like the card as a whole... the only thing that bothers me is the high ATK and DEF. This card does neither look nor feel like a beatstick, and even if the DEF is higher than the ATK, it's still a pretty impressive ATK for a Level 7 Synchro (only 100 lower than Hammerheads). I'd consider lowering both stats a bit.

New Nights: Returning to the bottom of their Deck can sometimes be more devastating than sending them to the Graveyard, so the drawback is welcomed. The drawback of the Citadel Effect can be devastating if you're low on cards, but on the other hand you could take the 2000 Life Points and just end your turn with the Main Phase 2... a bit of tactics required, but not too much. I can't really tell why I don't like the card that much (it's still a good card), so let's just leave it at that.

Krazed Kills (Because poor literacy is kewl?): Stats are a bit high for a Level 5 Synchro, I'd consider lowering them a bit. And I guess the only reason anybody would choose the second effect is that your opponent's field is completely empty... I'd consider giving the first effect a drawback, e.g. that this card cannot attack in that turn (much like Chaos Sorcerer). I like the other effect, but what the card doesn't clearly state is what happens if you don't have 2 monsters in your hand... how about inflicting 1000 damage for each card you couldn't send to the Graveyard? Again, I don't know if you're selecting randomly or if you're looking at the opponent's hand.

Overall, all of those cards have a risky second effect, which I personally like a lot. It can increase or reduce the usefulness of the Citadel, and mainly depends on the individual playstyle and timing.

Defensive Tower: Exactly 2 Spell Counters? Don't you mean "2 or more"? Just saying ;) Other than that, your basic support card... cards like that must exist in a realistic set, huh? That's why I prefer Pop Culture :P

Confusion Staff: Nobody would attack a monster equipped with this card, would they (unless they're suicidal)? Since it's open for anybody to read, they would just sit out their time... though I like how the Spell Counters are used here to determine wether it can be used or not. Maybe I'm missing something (Battle Mania could work...), but as of now, I don't see it's uses.

Frozen Emblem: "Place 3 Spell Counters on the field" would probably not work, you should determine that they're placed on monsters you control *nitpicking* Other than that, I like it. When I read the effect, I expected a field nuke, but you surprised me on this one... though a field nuke wouldn't have been the worst thing you could do, because with this, most of the Decks could still do their usual stuff while you sit there with a -4... that's a lot as far as I know.

Giant Blast: Ah, there's the field nuke, like a Mini-Raigeki with Spell Counters. Makes sense, works out and looks balanced. Nothing more to say...

Inner Warrior: Now this is a better attempt of a target redirction. It works with Spell Counters (of course), I god damn love this picture... but I don't really get why it has to be a Tuner monser? :blink: I guess it would work very well without this restrcition.

Cloaking Shield: Interesting indeed... yeah, I'm running out of ideas what to say, but if you ask me, that looks like a card Konami would print: Tactical, yet simple, and a random "draw 1 card" :D Seriously though, it's a nice addition.

Jack in a Box: When used on a card with many Spell Counters, this is an easy Dark Hole... I like the pic-name-effect flow here, but I guess it would be considered overpowered... or not, since both players select the cards that are returned, and the level 4 or lower Spellcasters only have a maximum of 3... or you use it with Magical Exemplar (getting 6 or more Spell Counters isn't that much of a hassle there) and really wipe the field clean. Also I think it shouldn't be considered a Counter Trap, because it doesn't counter anything. If you could only activate it during your opponents turn, it could be more balanced... if it needs balancing, which I can't really tell, that beats me.

Hidden Reinforcements: "Than"! But other than that, we now throw Tokens into the mix, very nice, Tribute and Synchro fodder, provide Spell Counters if needed, can attack directly and can't be destroyed by battle, but are also not that easy to get out... maybe cut one of the effects (like "can't be tributed except by it's own effect"), but it's still a very nice support card.

Now I covered them all. What I said the first time still applies: It's a great set. Synergies and Tactical uses of the cards are in the foreground, artworks are awesome, some OCG errors, but who cares, and overall... yeah, this set appeals to me. Oh, and I didn't read the story, I was too lazy for that now ^^ It's a well polished set, worthy of continuing.

If I had to give a rating, I'd give it not more, but definitely not less than a 10/10. It deserves it.

So long,

Spoon

Edit: This post has too many Emoticons :angry:

Alright, let's finish this... FATALITY!

Sorry, let myself go there :lol:

Extra Deck Monsters are up next:

Hard Hammerheads: An interesting idea, especially if you can predict the Monster/Spell/Trap ratio in your opponent's Deck... or if you're just horribly lucky. The other effect... well, a little burn is certainly not the worst thing you can do, and in your basic Mill/Burn Deck this would do pretty well, as it also has a pretty high ATK. A minor problem I have: Does your opponent always get to return cards from their Graveyard or only when damage is inflicted? In the first case, this effect would more likely help your opponent than weaken them, in the later, your opponent must be really low on health or have a huge Graveyard to make it worthwhile... which at least in said Deck wouldn't be that rare. Tactical use required, which is, as always, a plus.

By the way the wording is let out, your opponent only gets the +2 from their Graveyard to their hand when the additional effect of burning is dealt out. This card can be a somewhat tricky card to use, seeing a good chunk of it's effect is based on luck, but on the other hand, it's a 2800 beater, which can also help you outside of it's main effect.

I guess there's no avoiding this, as I see that the Levitating Citadel is in the next card as well, I'll review it now:

Levitating Citadel: Ah, looks like the heart and soul of this set. It's your factory for Spell Counters, and it does it's job quite well... I just have a little balancing issue when it comes to the "remove 2 Spell Counters instead of destruction" effect... it's pretty hard to kill off that way, since you also get 2 each turn. Since everything Spell Counter related to this card is dividable by 2 (does that word even exist), you could also reduce the maximum of Spell Counters to 4 and place 1 Spell Counter on it per turn, while still maintaining the 2 Spell Counters per turn cost. Also, returning a huge amount Spell Cards (which you'll most likely have in a Deck utilizing this set) should be connected with some more costs than just Spell Counters... I'd say you destroy this card as well, as an "ultimate offering", so to speak.

Another idea that came to my mind (which you don't need to listen to if you don't want to) is raising the SC limit to 5 (1 per turn) and including into the effect that you can either a) freely distribute Spell Counters equal to the number of Spell Counters on the Citadel (could be a bit overpowered) or B) give 1 to each monster you control, but up to the number of Spell Counters on this card (so if you have only 1 Spell Counter on it, you can only give one, lightly punishing you if you have to save this card from destruction by removing Counters)... that's a lot on one card, you don't need to consider everything ;)

All my Sets (including ones in the Future) will have their Field Spell be the heart and soul. Seeing this is the heart and soul, I sorta felt like to make it quite hard to destroy I mean to be honest, it would be quite hard to kill a Citadel just floating in midair, protected by a bunch of these Magicians. Tributing this card to return all your Spell Cards to the Deck sounds interesting, which I also really, really, like. I'll think about that. I'll consider the rest as well, but like the 'Ultimate Offering' part the most out of it all.

Where were I? Oh yes, the Extra Deck...

Old Offenses: Ah, we're at level manipulation again, hurray :) Well, it corresponds with the Tuner, so why not? Those are interesting effects that work well together. The "Citadel Effect" is alright, since you can select the cards your opponent discards, you can play around the drawback, but in some situations you'd rather give your opponent a +1 (Black Hole) than rsiking something like this (or is this a randomized process? Do you look at the cards while selecting or are you selecting them randomly?). I like the card as a whole... the only thing that bothers me is the high ATK and DEF. This card does neither look nor feel like a beatstick, and even if the DEF is higher than the ATK, it's still a pretty impressive ATK for a Level 7 Synchro (only 100 lower than Hammerheads). I'd consider lowering both stats a bit.

All the Tuners correspond with their Synchro someway, just a little bit of Trivia. For the hand part, you just select the cards, they are revealed after they are removed from play. They are not at random, just selected. The thought of giving my opponent a +1 has occurred, but there are a lot of ways to get around that +1. To be honest, I like the stats at the bridge of making it OP'd.

New Nights: Returning to the bottom of their Deck can sometimes be more devastating than sending them to the Graveyard, so the drawback is welcomed. The drawback of the Citadel Effect can be devastating if you're low on cards, but on the other hand you could take the 2000 Life Points and just end your turn with the Main Phase 2... a bit of tactics required, but not too much. I can't really tell why I don't like the card that much (it's still a good card), so let's just leave it at that.

Maybe because the cost of Life Points and ending your Turn immediately seems quite tactical?

Krazed Kills (Because poor literacy is kewl?): Stats are a bit high for a Level 5 Synchro, I'd consider lowering them a bit. And I guess the only reason anybody would choose the second effect is that your opponent's field is completely empty... I'd consider giving the first effect a drawback, e.g. that this card cannot attack in that turn (much like Chaos Sorcerer). I like the other effect, but what the card doesn't clearly state is what happens if you don't have 2 monsters in your hand... how about inflicting 1000 damage for each card you couldn't send to the Graveyard? Again, I don't know if you're selecting randomly or if you're looking at the opponent's hand.

I tried to keep the name trivia going. Read the card which I answered this previous dilemma. And it's somewhat obvious if you can't fulfill the requirements, your unable to use the effect in the first place. The second effect can be great in a Deck revolving around that effect, clearly because if used right, you can deal a hefty 5000 in all.

Overall, all of those cards have a risky second effect, which I personally like a lot. It can increase or reduce the usefulness of the Citadel, and mainly depends on the individual playstyle and timing.

Defensive Tower: Exactly 2 Spell Counters? Don't you mean "2 or more"? Just saying ;) Other than that, your basic support card... cards like that must exist in a realistic set, huh? That's why I prefer Pop Culture :P

Seeing the easy amount of Spell Counter manipulation in the Deck, my Magicians can easily reach 3 Counters (Level 4's), and just by removing 1, that automatically puts them in spot to be protected by this effect.

Confusion Staff: Nobody would attack a monster equipped with this card, would they (unless they're suicidal)? Since it's open for anybody to read, they would just sit out their time... though I like how the Spell Counters are used here to determine wether it can be used or not. Maybe I'm missing something (Battle Mania could work...), but as of now, I don't see it's uses.

The card is clearly for protecting a Magician through battle. Just place it on one of the bosses, it's pretty much untouchable throughout the battle, and can fetch you a +1 if used right as well.

Frozen Emblem: "Place 3 Spell Counters on the field" would probably not work, you should determine that they're placed on monsters you control *nitpicking* Other than that, I like it. When I read the effect, I expected a field nuke, but you surprised me on this one... though a field nuke wouldn't have been the worst thing you could do, because with this, most of the Decks could still do their usual stuff while you sit there with a -4... that's a lot as far as I know.

Surprising is good, no?

Giant Blast: Ah, there's the field nuke, like a Mini-Raigeki with Spell Counters. Makes sense, works out and looks balanced. Nothing more to say...

Mini-Raigeki's are always helpful :3

Inner Warrior: Now this is a better attempt of a target redirction. It works with Spell Counters (of course), I god damn love this picture... but I don't really get why it has to be a Tuner monser? :blink: I guess it would work very well without this restrcition.

The Tuner part was the 'drawback'. Sure it's odd, but that is what makes it unique.

Cloaking Shield: Interesting indeed... yeah, I'm running out of ideas what to say, but if you ask me, that looks like a card Konami would print: Tactical, yet simple, and a random "draw 1 card" :D Seriously though, it's a nice addition.

I got the draw 1 idea from I believe it was that Kuraz Monarch card.

Jack in a Box: When used on a card with many Spell Counters, this is an easy Dark Hole... I like the pic-name-effect flow here, but I guess it would be considered overpowered... or not, since both players select the cards that are returned, and the level 4 or lower Spellcasters only have a maximum of 3... or you use it with Magical Exemplar (getting 6 or more Spell Counters isn't that much of a hassle there) and really wipe the field clean. Also I think it shouldn't be considered a Counter Trap, because it doesn't counter anything. If you could only activate it during your opponents turn, it could be more balanced... if it needs balancing, which I can't really tell, that beats me.

This is also on the bridge of either being balanced or OP'd, which is what I like.

Hidden Reinforcements: "Than"! But other than that, we now throw Tokens into the mix, very nice, Tribute and Synchro fodder, provide Spell Counters if needed, can attack directly and can't be destroyed by battle, but are also not that easy to get out... maybe cut one of the effects (like "can't be tributed except by it's own effect"), but it's still a very nice support card.

Tried to make this Set involve everything. Only thing I was lazy to do was give the archetype Rituals.

Now I covered them all. What I said the first time still applies: It's a great set. Synergies and Tactical uses of the cards are in the foreground, artworks are awesome, some OCG errors, but who cares, and overall... yeah, this set appeals to me. Oh, and I didn't read the story, I was too lazy for that now ^^ It's a well polished set, worthy of continuing.

If I had to give a rating, I'd give it not more, but definitely not less than a 10/10. It deserves it.

So long,

Spoon

Edit: This post has too many Emoticons :angry:

Thanks for the Great Review. These are the kind of Reviews I'd liked to see more of on YCM. +Rep for you! My replies to your reviews are in italics inside of the quote. Also might I add, this Set is only 5 posts away from a new page, which also means 2 new cards as well, making us only 3 cards and 2 pages away from this Set coming to a glorious finish.

Well the artwork on everything is beautiful, and OCG is spot on!

I was stuck to this thread, I nearly looked at everything, and let me tell you, I love it

9/10

Why thank you for your simple, yet motivational CnC on my Set. +Rep for you! Only 2 more posts until I finally reach page 8, which means 2 more cards and 2 more pages until this Set finally comes to a fantastic ending.

As you wish, my Lord... *cough*...

Holy Contract: Turning them to LIGHT is nice and all... but besides gaining some Life Points when the card is tributed, what is it good for? LIGHT's are not better in general (well, I guess you knew that)... on the long term, the idea is nice, but just Life Points is a bit disappointing :(

Mana Spheres: Well, that's more like it! Though that last effect makes it a little... well, I can't say unbalanced, because I don't really know, but it feels kind of unneeded. Other than that: Great card, great idea ;)

As you wish, my Lord... *cough*...

No need to act like your my slave D: I was just asking politely :3

Holy Contract: Turning them to LIGHT is nice and all... but besides gaining some Life Points when the card is tributed, what is it good for? LIGHT's are not better in general (well, I guess you knew that)... on the long term, the idea is nice, but just Life Points is a bit disappointing :(

Chaos. Sorcerer. And Life Point gain never hurt anyone as well. Maybe I should make them be treated as LIGHT in the Deck / Field as well? Making them a target for many other cards as well.

Mana Spheres: Well, that's more like it! Though that last effect makes it a little... well, I can't say unbalanced, because I don't really know, but it feels kind of unneeded. Other than that: Great card, great idea ;)

Last part is to make some sort of mini-lock with the Confusion Staff Equip Spell Card of the Set, making them force to attack the monster equipped with the Staff, thus triggering the effect.

+Rep for you!

This is the first time i see this set and wow, wtf how are you so good!!!!! 10 most defiantly and everything is balanced with those long effects :)

Why thank you :) I do my best. +Rep for you!

You're getting close to finishing the set!! You're halfway there! ^^

HALFWAY!?!?! xD More like 3 cards away! :D I past halfway a long time ago xD I'm also getting closer to reaching my objective of 10 pages. Next page will have 2 cards, with the final 10th page having the 1 card finale.

Holy Contract

pic doesn't look holy, looks more like a girl playing with magic.

Nothing much too be said here, simple lp gain, personally i would raise it to 500, but thats just me. Changing them to light is kinda situational, and often pointless, i can't really think of how it can be useful. 8/10

Mana Spheres

Though I'm not a fan of equip spells, its pretty nice, double atk/def that can be used multiple times and a "cannot be destroyed by battle" effect, can't see any errors or anything. 8.5/10

Holy Contract

pic doesn't look holy, looks more like a girl playing with magic.

Nothing much too be said here, simple lp gain, personally i would raise it to 500, but thats just me. Changing them to light is kinda situational, and often pointless, i can't really think of how it can be useful. 8/10

Once again, Chaos. Sorcerer. Although, I can make it that they are also treated as LIGHT on the Field and Deck, making them more usable for cards such as Honest and whatnot. 400 seems good enough, if you have a full field, that is a decent 2000 Life Point gain. You only need at least 2 monsters for it to be used decently.

Mana Spheres

Though I'm not a fan of equip spells, its pretty nice, double atk/def that can be used multiple times and a "cannot be destroyed by battle" effect, can't see any errors or anything. 8.5/10

Simple, yet elegant.

+Rep for you!! 13 more posts is all is needed!!

Uh, i wrote a decently long comment before and thought it posted =_= I guess it didnt, i dont feel like writing it again so this is gonna be very short

I like the first ones name and pic but im not too crazy about the effect, im not sure why but it dosnt seem to fit

The second ones pic and effect are great ^_^

Bah, i hate makeing a comment this short and bland....

Uh, i wrote a decently long comment before and thought it posted =_= I guess it didnt, i dont feel like writing it again so this is gonna be very short

I like the first ones name and pic but im not too crazy about the effect, im not sure why but it dosnt seem to fit

The second ones pic and effect are great ^_^

Bah, i hate makeing a comment this short and bland....

Why must everyone not be crazy about Holy Contract! I am leaning towards changing it to the Monsters being treated as LIGHT in the Grave, RFP, Field and Deck just to make it more usable, and mainly because I'm most likely the only one who thinks about Chaos Sorcerer when reading such an odd, yet unique-like effect.

However, everyone likes the Mana Spheres compared to the previous one, which I am also okay with. +Rep for you! This now needs 11 more posts until a new page :3 Which means around 5 more people need to give CnC, that being I reply ASAP after everyone.

Bump!! 10 more posts!! Random fact: If there was a post for every view here, this would have roughly a whopping 160 pages!! But sadly, all I want is 10 pages for it to reach, which it is still somewhat having troubles of reaching as well, so commenting instead of just skimming would be really appreciated.

Archived