Admiration for Mods

Tomiix

Question

When i first joined like 2 years ago I had great Admiration for this forum. I tried my hardest to be a upstanding citezen and be here often. Then I had to leave because life struck me. I re awoke in ycm about a year or so later and now im here and all these changes slaped me across my face. But this place prospered alot and it incressed my urge to try again study the new rules and try to be a good citezen to acheive my goal. Now im wondering and looking for a answer. What things should I start out with to become a Mod and what would be required of me when in this position.

So after those bans and you became a mod did they explain to you why you became one? Like there reason behind it. Cause id have some questions if I was banned alot and then suddenly became mod. =P

Im gonna say this ina Nice way.

You would be one of the last people to become a mod.

Im sorry but YCMaker clearly doesn't need mods (My guess) atm and you are too 'In-experianced' to do it

Im gonna say this ina Nice way.

You would be one of the last people to become a mod.

Im sorry but YCMaker clearly doesn't need mods (My guess) atm and you are too 'In-experianced' to do it

Just wondering what are my chances of being mod if 1 = no chance (Aka Ianwatters) or 10 = Mod stuff (Aka Pikachu)

My advice - don't ever become a Mod. You'll probably be unpopular and get constantly attacked and have to act. When you act you get attacked even more. Don't do it.

To be a Mod anyway you still have to be mature and unbiased. The only active moderators I really have any respect for are Opalmoon, MarbleZone and Yin. They are unbiased and don't ban you for a month for negging them (lolme).

It seems somebody has forgotten why they where banned...along with ignoring their own post, and negging me ;)

My advice: Don't listen to hypocrites.

If you truly want to be a mod, you have to do something to stand out somewhere. Be a nice, helpful member. Produce good conversation, and most of all, be respectful.

I guess and I didnt realise that. But, I bet most mods perfer to stick to one forum. If everyones all over the place some sections may not be watched and some sections may be over watched.

Mod 1: Hey dud whyed you ban that guy in the newly stickeyed topic?

Mod 2: Didnt he break a forum rule?

Mod 1: Dude you just banned a innocent man read this sections rules PLEASE!

Mod 2: I DID and I belive from my perspective he broke a rule.

Mod 1: WELL he didnt.

Fights may occur... but it also allows freedom in case some mods are away and you can cover for them.

So after those bans and you became a mod did they explain to you why you became one? Like there reason behind it. Cause id have some questions if I was banned alot and then suddenly became mod. =P

I'll be honest. I have more chance to be Mod again... Just behave yoursele and don't ask :P

Does this thread still even have a point?

It's been this.

*explanation*

Ditto.

Ditto.

Blah.

Blah.

Ditto.

A little bit, its basicly turned into a "How to act if you want to be a mod, but dont get your hopes up" kinda thing. Common sense for some people but obviously some people lack common sense....

To basicly sum up what everyone has said, if you want to be a mod, Be a nice/ good person, Help others, Follow the rules and if you break one dont pick a fight or throw a tantrum about it, Be calm and kind, Do something that makes you stick out from the crowd, Dont ask to be a mod, and it helps if you have good grammer, your older, level headed, and make some mod/admin friends.

Also dont expect to ever be a mod, its a job that rarely comes up and isnt taken lightly, if for some reason we did need a new one they would pick someone who they know isnt going to abuse their power, knows the rules inside and out, isnt afraid to do what is needed even if it causes friends to dislike you, and has some level of respect and authority BEFORE becomeing a mod.

Also being a mod isnt fun and games, Your expected to be more serious, Follow the rules religiously, and im sure it makes the forum seem almost more like a job than somthing you come on for fun.

Thats the sum of it if i read this right

Umm he hasn't since 2008... Nearly 2/3yrs.

wait we got a new mod in 2008? who? >_>

For as long as i can remember it was the same ones we have now

And to be perfectly honest even with all of this, if we get a new mod its probably just going to be J-Max gettiing turned back into a mod so if you want to be a mod i hope you dont mind waiting a few years ;)

Im writeing this at 11 at night after a long day so it might not make sense at a few parts....

Hope this helps you mod wannabes, takes Devotion, Skill, A Little Bit Of Energon And A Lot Of Luck.

To outline it:

- Vacancy comes up.

- Topic is posted in staff area for suggestions.

- Mods suggests.

- After discussion member is chosen.

- Promotion for the member.

You REALLY have to stand out to be even considered for roles. This means being active, doing everything right in terms of comments/criticism,and be generally mature.

In general to become a mod you need to just be a good member. Help out people, show that your smart and can be trusted, and knowing a lot about a section (video games got me my mod spot) all help. Side from that being friends with a mod MIGHT help since then you are more likely to have them bring up your name when talk of new mods start.

A lot of people have this, even in sections that are lacking moderation.

Guest JoshIcy

This. Dont ever gloat, don't troll (especially now- we can permaban you at sight for that), don't spam etc. And you will be considered at one point or another. And that's that. Don't hold your breath though.

Not just anyone can be a mod. Sure there are lots of people who are capable, good members, but still, there may be no need for new mods.

And the Admins themselves have to recognize your capability because they are the ones to select the new mods. There are many members on this site. So YCMaker looks out for people who especially stick out.

Wow thats kinda powerhungry isnt it?

Bad Mod: HEY YOU TALKING TO ME?!?!?!?! YOU TALKIN TO ME?!?!?!

*bing*

"Sorry user Tomiix you have been perma banned for: TALKIN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

In all seriouseness if there are mods like that in YCM then id hope ycm maker would be looking for new people on his team. Of course if you broke a rule with the neg.

OT:well flame your my best friend =D in the old days of ycm, btw if i can put a team together I wanna battle you! and also talk to you with the new speaker, its been awhile.

Is there a way for the public to know when a new mod spot is avalible?

Usually YCMaker posts a request for a New Mod, things like that..

That also makes tons of sence... there has to be some kind of balance... I mean all mods have a job to do and you cant limit them to fairness cause that would take forever. Be negative and rude to them can cause a interuptence in there work so I see where that comes into play. Wow theres alot to think about.

To alfred,

I understand that mods get looked at with the evil eye alot. Yet not all mods can be "cool" in the sence most members want. Sometimes theres seriouseness. Although mods sometimes arent the most popular I dont care I could have 1,000 negs and woulndt care as long as I knew I was making this place safer and funner for the people who deserve it. I bet alot of those negs comes from angry no gooders (not saying you are) who didnt like being post locked or banned.

OT:well flame your my best friend =D in the old days of ycm, btw if i can put a team together I wanna battle you! and also talk to you with the new speaker, its been awhile.

Is there a way for the public to know when a new mod spot is avalible?

Thank you for the help. Now I just need ways to stick out. In a way that isnt approriate anyway cause theres manythings one can do to stick out infamously. Thanks for the help and Ill try to stick out more. What are good ways to stick out though?

Archived