The Official Metal/Hardcore Thread

~NOiSE~

Slipknot kept metal alive through the late 90s early 2000s, not my favourite band, but give credit where credit is due.

Anyone hear of a band called Divinity, there from Edmonton (I think) there a kick ass prog/tech metal band. I got to share the stage with them a few weeks ago.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like some of the metal that you can hear them singing, stuff like Metallica and System of a Down. Stuff like black metal or death metal or whatever the f*** its called, I hate, sounds like noise to me. However, I love metalcore, even though they scream throughout the whole song. Also, Slipknot's "Duality" is epic beyond words.

Metallica, Maiden, and Ozzy are still around D:

But yeah. I have no idea why. Didn't get it from my parents or anything.

Terrible, next?

I hate HEAVY metal, as in low pitch screaming.

Haha, yea, but they're all really old XD Still kickin' though

Most of the metal you'll hear on the radio is probably considered alternative metal, whatever that means. I myself like a lot of heavy metal, though I prefer metal that has melody. Every once in awhile I don't mind just head-banging for the sake of head-banging though. I'm not one of those guys that's all like "you noes like teh metal?! u no know reel muzak!!!"

Most metal heads would probably think I'm a heretic, since I like various styles of music.

Would you quit the spamming?

What is that supposed to even mean?

Slipknot devotees are called "maggots". I like Slipknot, but I definitely wouldn't consider myself a hardcore fan.

WRONG MAGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

This my surprise you, but some people just don't like Slipknot.

Don't neg people because you disagree with their musical taste, you'll get bad feedback VERY quickly. Not everyone likes the same thing, so let's try and respect people opinions, bro.

Slipknot kept metal alive through the late 90s early 2000s, not my favourite band, but give credit where credit is due.

Anyone hear of a band called Divinity, there from Edmonton (I think) there a kick ass prog/tech metal band. I got to share the stage with them a few weeks ago.

Dude, Divinity is pretty sick. Thanks for sharing.

You like Opeth?

MAGGOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No seriously, would you please stop spamming?<_<

Last warning, I think everyone got it by now.T_T

I think it's a stupid name anyway but it's a matter of taste I guess...

Meh when I started moderating this forum, I used to listen to a lot of Metal, almost only that.

Now I just listen to doujin Metal or Metal that has to do with Touhou. Stuff like Demetori, Thousand Leaves, 5150, IRON ATTACK!.

I still wish How Like a Winter would make a new album though... And I admire Opeth for their diversity and the all-over-the-garden vocals. Cool when people don't scream and growl all the time.

I've been known to dabble with the metal genre. :P It's hard for me to choose a top-five of my favorite bands ever, so I won't even try. However, I will just list a few bands that make me happy.

Mors Principium Est

Austere

Lantlos

UneXpect

Unholy Matrimony

Vinterland

Pensees Nocturnes

Silencer

Thurisaz

Gris

Wolves in the Throne Room

Mgla

Followbane

Cormorant

Forest Stream

In Mourning

Nightrage

Coldworld

Peste Noire

Insomnium

Altar of Plagues

Dark Lunacy

Bloodbath

Catamenia

(Old)Children of Bodom

Ensiferum

Detonation

Well I admire someone who can go from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOlFv9RMuIM

to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6Q4FpW-sY

while still sounding good.:P

And in Moonlapse Vertigo he does both, it's also one of my favourite songs from them.

Hmm How Like a Winter is one of the few female-fronted Gothic Doom bands that I still like a lot. The genre has fallen into cliches IMO...good that some bands are there to raise the level.^_^

I might as well come in here, due to Kuri's lyric lunge being dead!

Bought a Parkway Drive album today, which was a gamble given my usual well-thought out purchases to suddenly buy an album by a band I've heard only very little of. But it has sounded pretty damn good so far.

Was tempted to get a Mastodon album as well, but thought only seven songs was a bit short, wasn't prepared to get it on the strength of 'Divinations' alone. Plus the album cover looked pretty naff.

Opeth are pretty awesome, dunno why I don't listen to them more often.

I might as well come in here, due to Kuri's lyric lunge being dead!

Bought a Parkway Drive album today, which was a gamble given my usual well-thought out purchases to suddenly buy an album by a band I've heard only very little of. But it has sounded pretty damn good so far.

Was tempted to get a Mastodon album as well, but thought only seven songs was a bit short, wasn't prepared to get it on the strength of 'Divinations' alone. Plus the album cover looked pretty naff.

Opeth are pretty awesome, dunno why I don't listen to them more often.

Mastodon's Crack the Skye is actually very good. It's really not very short, clocking in at 50 minutes due to two songs that exceed the ten-minute mark.

If you get an Opeth album, I suggest starting with Blackwater Park.

Yeah I saw there was a five parter. Dunno why I found it off-putting, I have The Blackening and that's only 8 songs.

Will defo consider it when I go back to HMV next time for another 2 for a tenner. Most Mastodon stuff I've heard is brilliant.

Hmm, the Interweb seems to be mucking around with Windows Media Player...

I heard a few songs by Underoath, but never got into them. Where should I start?

I was thinking of buying Korn's new album (Korn III - Remember Who You Are), but I decided to pass. I only heard Let the Guilt Go, so I didn't want to buy and not like it.

If you're buying an Underoath album, I would start with Define the Great Line. It's basically the album that made them who they are today, and is one of my favorites. Every album they've put out is good, but Define the Great Line and everything after are them at their best.

I never got into Korn, so I can't really help you there :unsure:

Heh ok I'll say.

1. Dragonforce

2. Lordi

3. Sabaton

4. Alestorm

5. Linkin Park

Now to answer questions before there asked:

Q. Dragonfroce ain't metal

A. They are Power Metal/Rock

Q. Alestorm ain't metal

A. some sort of Folk Metal or as they call it Pirate Metal

Q. Why ain't slipknot on them

A. Don't like them in general

Q. Linkin Park are rock/pop

A. I mean there old Nu Metal music

Q. What are Sabaton

A. Well a sabaton is a boot that is a common part of a knights armor. Sabaton are a Power Metal band or as they call it War Metal.

Q. Lordi are so GWAR

A. Lordi did not hear of GWAR until after they were formed since they were inspired by Kiss

Q. Alestorm? don't you mean Halestom?

A. No Alestorm are completely different to Halestorm

Where you can find the song of each band:

Alestorm

Linkin Park shouldn't be to hard to find.

Archived