The Official Metal/Hardcore Thread

~NOiSE~

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RANDOM NON-METAL SONG FOR GREAT JUSTICE

Actually, this isn't random. What struck me about this piece was how Bill Evans' choice of notes for improvisation was somewhat similar to the kind of choices metal guitarists would do during a solo - the chromatic progression, the repetition of motifs for added impact, etc. I hope you find this interesting and reply with depthy comments rather than stereotypical "OMG METAL 4EVER U PREP" comments. Though I doubt that you will, except for more advanced metalheads like Jester and Death.

WINTERSUN SHALL NEVER DIE.

IF THEY WOULD f***ing FINISH TIME ALREADY, GOD DAMN.

also

My band actually got to open up for these guys a few months ago, definitely a killer show.

RANDOM NON-METAL SONG FOR GREAT JUSTICE

Actually, this isn't random. What struck me about this piece was how Bill Evans' choice of notes for improvisation was somewhat similar to the kind of choices metal guitarists would do during a solo - the chromatic progression, the repetition of motifs for added impact, etc. I hope you find this interesting and reply with depthy comments rather than stereotypical "OMG METAL 4EVER U PREP" comments. Though I doubt that you will, except for more advanced metalheads like Jester and Death.

Thanks much for the compliment XD I generally find it hard to respect other metal lovers because they're so closed-minded. I made this thread so I could find more like-minded metal fans who are actually respectful =)

Metal is not fun for everyone, and understandably so. But listening to it doesn't make you super special awesome...you're just a guy that likes metal. If you think it's anything more than that, you're probably pretty stupid. People don't seem to get this O_o

Have you heard any of Nobuo Uematsu's piano work?

Thanks much for the compliment XD I generally find it hard to respect other metal lovers because they're so closed-minded. I made this thread so I could find more like-minded metal fans who are actually respectful =)

Metal is not fun for everyone, and understandably so. But listening to it doesn't make you super special awesome...you're just a guy that likes metal. If you think it's anything more than that, you're probably pretty stupid. People don't seem to get this O_o

Have you heard any of Nobuo Uematsu's piano work?

I'm surprised at your impetus and courage - I would never post a comment like that here for fear of metalhead RAEG. Very well said, I must say.

I'm not nearly as big a fan of classical piano as I am of Jazz, but Uematsu is one of the greatest emotional composers who ever lived. Composing music for a specific purpose (like a cutscene in a video game or a battle or something) is a lot harder than just composing music for the fun of it. I really enjoy his music and respect his job.

I've always thought that Yokota was the best piano composer in VGM history, but Uematsu deserves a mention for writing some of the most iconic themes. Kudos to you for having wide tastes.

I'm surprised at your impetus and courage - I would never post a comment like that here for fear of metalhead RAEG. Very well said, I must say.

I'm not nearly as big a fan of classical piano as I am of Jazz, but Uematsu is one of the greatest emotional composers who ever lived. Composing music for a specific purpose (like a cutscene in a video game or a battle or something) is a lot harder than just composing music for the fun of it. I really enjoy his music and respect his job.

I've always thought that Yokota was the best piano composer in VGM history, but Uematsu deserves a mention for writing some of the most iconic themes. Kudos to you for having wide tastes.

I just speak the truth, being a metal fan doesn't make you anything special.

And thank you once again, I take pride in being a metal fan that plays well with others.

Do you listen to metal yourself?

Oh yea, song of the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lBYTIO4IaM

I was actually coming here to troll, really. I was hoping that a crazy metalhead would get pissed and threaten me. But surprisingly, some of the metalheads on YCM are quite agreeable and intelligent people.

We do try our best, good sir. Like someone said before (I can't be bothered to look back to give proper credit), not all metalheads are "RAWRMETALISALLTHATEXISTS" and bash/shun those that don't share our opinion. I won't deny that metalheads do that, because there are plenty of those idiots out there, but if you delve deeper into the underground scene you'll find that many of us aren't extremists when it comes to the genre. We're just like you: Open-minded, but with a preference. I could even go to far as to say some of us are even, dare I say, sophisticated. I, for one, keep a very open mind when it comes to music. I'm not saying I listen to everything because that's clearly untrue, but I will give anything a fair chance. Obviously metal is my preference, but I'm also fond of techno, classical, folk music and even a lot of hip-hop/rap. I think music bashing in general is fairly stupid. Everyone has their opinion on music genres and to think that your opinion makes you superior to one that doesn't share it is just asinine. I don't bash any music for that reason. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. It's as simple as that. One man's noise is another man's masterpiece. That's basically all I have to contribute. xD

Archived