Exceeds → Xyz

The wiki linked me here: http://www.pojo.biz/board/showpost.php?p=21610197&postcount=72

Leviathan Dragon. It's Leviathan Dragon, not "revise dragon".

This is another example of how naming things in English, but using Japanese characters, doesn't really work that well. In many cases the English name is the correct name, since the real name is, well, English.

"Exceeds monster" is another such misnomer.

Looks like this is pretty much confirmed now. The tins use the same logo as this, and a Konami Employee said that Exceeds is incorrect.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you wonder why people prefer think the name is weird. Maybe because they're pronounced almost exactly the same.

It makes sense to think it's weird.

But all of the people who went RAEGing had no foundation for their argument, since the D was pulled out of thin air in the first place.

I'll point out that Xyz breaks the "trend" of names for Summons.

- Normal/Special/Tribute/Flip: Normal, by an effect, by tributng, by flipping faceup. All make sense.

- Fusion: By fusing two+ monsters

- Ritual: Using a Ritual card

- Synchro: Seems to be short for "Synchronize"

- Xyz: ...I have no clue.

As opposed to Exceed, which, even if the logic of the other summons isn't clear, it sounds like the type of name you'd give a Summon type.

All non-Japanese words in Japan was written in Katakana, except if it's a person's name (and even then...).

ElementalHeroStratosVJMP-JP-UR.jpgSplendidVenusLE10-JP-UR.jpg

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidNotDoTheResearch

I'll point out that Xyz breaks the "trend" of names for Summons.

- Normal/Special/Tribute/Flip: Normal, by an effect, by tributng, by flipping faceup. All make sense.

- Fusion: By fusing two+ monsters

- Ritual: Using a Ritual card

- Synchro: Seems to be short for "Synchronize"

- Xyz: ...I have no clue.

As opposed to Exceed, which, even if the logic of the other summons isn't clear, it sounds like the type of name you'd give a Summon type.

Right on all of those.

@evilfusion: Gemini Summon. Aside from Gemini = twins, I don't see any relation to the mechanic.

Generally.

I've seen plenty of English words and names written in Japanese. If it was Xyz, they don't HAVE TO write it in English underneath.

Besides, my post at the top of this page is pretty hard to counter. ._.

Guest Codename: Lady

You know, this begs the question:

If "Xyz" is the best Komani could come up with to translate "Ekushīzu", and the translation of "Exceed" is the wrong translation for "Ekushīzu", then what does "Ekushīzu" actually mean?

You know, this begs the question:

If "Xyz" is the best Komani could come up with to translate "Ekushīzu", and the translation of "Exceed" is the wrong translation for "Ekushīzu", then what does "Ekushīzu" actually mean?

It was obviously Xyz from the beginning.

As was said, there's no D sound in the Katakana.

Xyz = Ekushīzu (エクシーズ)

Exceed = Ekushīdo (エクシード)

@Darkplant: lol

Archived