Card Maker Academy

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[b][u]Balance Head Results:[/b][/u]

[b]Maha[/b], your card is an easy 4 Levels for an "Umi" Synchro Deck which is my main gripe. Its second effect could be counterproductive, given that you add the card from your Graveyard, and [i]then[/i] randomly dsicard, meaning you could discard the card you just retrieved. Its final effect is self-triggering, but not all that useful.

[b]Mystik Fail[/b], your card is the most esoteric of the four, which is a good thing, although the effect is a modified "Conscription". The problem with it is that most of the strongest ATK monsters have low DEF values, meaning that if you do pick up something strong, you won't take too much damage and if you can protect it for a turn, you have a beatstick to play with. Apart from that, the fact it can't be Special Summoned or Set, and banishes itself after a turn would limit its useability.

[b]Blu[/b], of the four, your's is probably the most down-to-earth, with a simple 'halve ATK to attack directly' effect. However, its second effect is just too high a cost to justify itself. You need to have activated the first effect, and have a Level 5 or higher monster to discard. So most likely, if your opponent does strike back, you won't have the means to defend yourself.

[b]Renji[/b], the first thing I thought of when I saw your card was 'Lotus Geminis' and how they would love your card, since they thrive on Graveyard recyc and Special Summoning. Overall though, it is just too powerful, since any card with a counter on it will be destroyed when it would be returned, or just selected by a card effect. And then, when it dies, it mills your opponent's Deck.

I'll choose [b]Blu[/b] to become Head of Balancing, through the merit of his card being slightly underpowered, but the closest to balanced of the four.

Mystik Fail, you are welcome to become a Balancing Teacher if you so wish.

[spoiler=Other Business]1. There is a still an open spot for a Style Teacher, if any wishes to apply for that.
2. Elementaldragon, do you wish to continue as a member of staff? If so, where?
3. Opinions needed. Would another duel puzzle-type question for the students be welcome, or should I replace that with something else?[/spoiler]

[quote name='sǝlnɹʍʇp' timestamp='1308794933' post='5304288']
Once per turn, during your [b]opponent's[/b] [b]Battle Phase[/b], if this monster is selected as an attack target, negate the attack and the attacking monster cannot attack again, or activate its effect. During your next [b]Battle Phase[/b], if you select that monster as an attack target, destroy that monster [b]immediately with this card's effect without applying damage calculation[/b], then destroy this card.
[/quote]
Wording's awkward for me in the first sentence. If any other teacher wants to clarify it, by all means do.

Fixes I can do are in bold. Not too bad from the OCG perspective, but for the effect... it's kinda like a Forbidden Lance, Krebons and Catastor all rolled into one, personally I think it's slightly OP'd considering how searchable it is.

Low Ra.

[quote]Once per turn, during your opponent's Battle Phase: If this monster is [b]targeted for an attack[/b]; negate the attack [s]and the attacking monster cannot attack again, or activate its effect[/s]. During your next Battle Phase: If you target that monster for an attack; destroy that monster immediately with this card's effect without applying damage calculation, then destroy this card.[/quote]

Alright new OCG lesson. "Selected as an attack target" is now replaced by "targeted for an attack" It makes the effect easier to understand and less cumbersome. I decided to cut off most of that first effect because it seemed unnecessary for a an easy to summon Level 4. And with that said, you need to have some kind of cost to allow for the attack to be negated, for example you can discard a card or even pay a certain number of life points like Krebons because with this ability, you can take out some powerful monsters easily without being damaged so it would make it balance if you lose more than just your suicide monster.

EDIT: On a completely separate note, can I get one of those academy badges.

Well since we're bringing new OCG into this...

Correct new OCG:

Once per turn, during your opponent's Battle Phase: If this monster is targeted for an attack; negate the attack. During your next Battle Phase: If you target that monster for an attack; destroy that monster immediately with this card's effect without applying damage calculation, then destroy this card.

Old OCG:

When a Rock-Type monster you control is selected as an attack target, it is changed to face-down Defense Position and any battle damage your opponent takes from that battle is doubled.

New OCG:

When a Rock-Type monster you control is targeted for an attack: Change it to face-down Defense Position. Any battle damage your opponent takes from that battle is doubled.

Tristan got it. Here is an effect I have been tinkering with.

This card is also treated as a Dragon-Type monster. When this card is Normal Summoned: Destroy 1 card your opponent controls. Once per turn, during your opponent's Main Phase: Tribute 1 Rock-Type monster; switch this card into Defense Position and increase its DEF equal to half of the Tributed monster's DEF, until your opponent's End Phase. Once per turn, during your Main Phase: Tribute 1 Rock-Type monster; switch this card into Attack Position and increase this card's ATK equal to the Tributed monster's Level x 200, until your End Phase.

CnC?

Archived