Harry Potter is awful and you suck for liking it.

Actually, Deathly Hallows introduced so many damn new concepts that were barely, if ever, mentioned in previous books and SUDDENLY drive the entire plot resolution...it's just terrible. The whole wand ownership and the very concept of the Deathly Hallows themselves are ridiculously introduced.

Oh, absolutely - I actually meant to get into that but just forgot amongst all the other points. The Deathly Hallows are particularly infuriating in that, on one hand, they suddenly take over the plot without any warning, and on the other hand, they really don't actually matter - Harry's Invisibility Cloak does exactly what it has always done, the Resurrection Stone provides a bit of moral support once and that's it, and the Elder Wand's supposed power is never used. They're somehow simultaneously the most important and the least important elements of the final book.

I can only expect that Rowling got better as a writer as she wrote the series, but the methods she took in some aspects were imperfect.

It's rather an odd thing: her prose got better as the series went on and she became more experienced, but her storyline got worse. The writing quality is much higher in the later books than at the start, but the stories get worse as "Harry is an ordinary student" and "Harry is the Chosen One who will fight Evil Wizard Hitler" become harder and harder to reconcile (and Harry actually gets less proactive after Prisoner of Azkaban).

Edited by Crab Helmet

Harry Potter is one of those series where yes, the plot seems a bit forced at times due to the huge amounts of Deus Ex Machina and all that. But it has good and interesting characters. Just not the main characters. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the best thing I can compare it to is Naruto.

Of the main characters, Hermione is probably the only one that is actually a decent character. But aside from her, all the best characters are the ones that are significantly less important, and are mostly just there to support the main characters. The same is true in Naruto. The main 3 characters? All idiots. But I like most of the side characters, like Shikamaru or Shino even.

I'll say the books and movies are entertaining, at the end of the day no one would really care about flaws like this especially J.K.Rowling. But it is good to see that not everyone falls into the category of people who think the series is awesome just because there is a goodiy and a baddy.

Crab Helmet...don't flame the Bartimaeus Trilogy, the Lord of the Rings, and every book in the Legend of Drizzt...and we will be cool. :3

ive never read the book,but the movies are messed up alot.....like in deathly hallows part 2....harry HAD to die yet he comes back? that makes no sense!!!

(sorry if i spoiled it for people who havnt seen it yet)

[spoiler=SPOILER]Resurrection Stone...the little rock he pulled out of the Snitch... <_<

the Lord of the Rings,

Oh, I dropped the Lord of the Rings after an entire chapter consisted of three people running through empty fields while the narrator insisted that this was the coolest thing ever. And this was in The Two Towers, so I actually got quite far into the series, but at that point I just decided that there was way too much padding for it to be worth continuing.

Harry came back from the dead because Rowling wants him to be Jesus. There's some sort of vague in-universe attempt at an explanation but it sucks so we're just going to go with the meta-reason here.

That's because apparently only the horcrux aspect of him died. You would think a master sorcerer like Voldemort would have killed Harry so badly that the horcrux part would have died along with Harry himself.

You should read Percy Jackson. I'm certain it's not in line with your interests, but I think it does a more entertaining at making the main character into a hero. Harry's popularity is based on the fact that he survived as a baby and is thus the Chosen One, and Voldemort is so obsessed with revenge that he would not dare let anyone else kill Harry. Percy is popular because he shouldn't have even been born, and his status as an idiot hero is both pointed out and reflected on. I think Sea of Monsters is a great example of how he takes charge as a hero, and Battle of the Labyrinth in particular actually makes a point about heading in with absolutely no plan at all.

Yeah, because only books that are completely perfect are enjoyable to read.

EVERYONE HIT THE DECK, IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING FANBOY.

...On a side note. Good read. I'm indifferent to the series (only read up to half of book four) but I know a lot of people that like it. More fuel to annoy them with! :D

Yeah, because only books that are completely perfect are enjoyable to read.

Let's all go read Twilight. It's not completely perfect, but nothing is, so it is beyond all criticism, right?

Let's all go read Twilight. It's not completely perfect, but nothing is, so it is beyond all criticism, right?

i dont ever want to hear those words ever... lol i dont care much i dont read much, but when i do its usually a hp book or a narnia book and each have problums and each series has at least one thats boring... but non the less people will always read them

i dont ever want to hear those words ever... lol i dont care much i dont read much, but when i do its usually a hp book or a narnia book and each have problums and each series has at least one thats boring... but non the less people will always read them

People will always read crap like Twilight or the Giver too.

Oh, I dropped the Lord of the Rings after an entire chapter consisted of three people running through empty fields while the narrator insisted that this was the coolest thing ever. And this was in The Two Towers, so I actually got quite far into the series, but at that point I just decided that there was way too much padding for it to be worth continuing.

Alright, I'll give you that one. There is quite a lot of padding. Even I, a die hard fan of LOTR, found it hard to read the third book. :<

But, I still love the books. And, if they hadn't been written, R. A. Salvatore would not have been inspired (a fan of LOTR). And if he hadn't been inspired, he would not have written the many books (20 or so more) in the Legend of Drizzt. I love those books...and bought three more yesterday. Only these three plus three more and I will own all of them! ...aside from the Clerical Quintet. I borrowed those from a friend.

No, he came back because he had the link Volemort made when he tried to kill him as a child, thus happening to make Voldemort Harry's horcrux (or however you spell it)

I get to lazy at actually explaining it, so I just say the resurrection stone to people who don't really understand it anyway. >.>

...I've already read all four books. Found them quite enjoyable actually...granted I was tricked into reading the first book. <_<

How did you get tricked into reading it?

In 7th grade, my English teacher (she knew I was a HUGE reader) was like, "Brian, you like books with action, right?" and I said yes. She goes, "Have you heard of Twilight? It's got huge battles between Vampires and Werewolves." And of course, I was like, "Oh wow!!! That sounds awesome! I'm going to read it!"

And so I read the whole first book expecting a huge fight between Vampires and Werewolves. <_<