Why do kids listen to sh*t?

Cowboy Dan

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, lets see... I'll start with saying that I'm not a fan of this topic despite agreeing with the OP that is my personal opinion that a lot of mainstream music is bad. Not all of it, of course, just a lot of it that simply has to be about meeting and f***ing some girl that you met at a club. That isn't music, that's a Friday night put over an autotune.

Oh, and apparently it needs to be stated in this thread what your preference in music is. I listen to mostly post-hardcore/metalcore, but I listen to all sorts really.

[quote name='Icyblue' timestamp='1313857241' post='5457021']
it's like asking a person what a good movie or game is.
[/quote]

Ah, sorry Josh, but there is such thing as a good movie. There are necessary preparations that you have to take to make your movie good, otherwise it is regarded is poor by almost anyone. I know it's still down to anyone's opinion though.

[quote name='Horus' timestamp='1313952774' post='5459741']
Eminem is AMAZINGLY overrated imo, but some of his songs are good.
[/quote]

I'm a fan of Eminem. He's definitely overrated compared to other rap artists, but yeah some of his songs are good.

[quote name='Horus' timestamp='1314276938' post='5467495']
Rap is mainstream.

The definition of mainstream prevents anything that is mainstream from being bad.
[/quote]

Untrue. Mainstream means that it is POPULAR, not GOOD.

[quote name='METALMAXIMAL' timestamp='1314556960' post='5475190']
Rock + rap = WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Not at all. Nu Metal aside, I quite like 'Higher and Higher ft. Hyro da Hero' by The Blackout. Funnily enough, that song could be considered mainstream, it was played on Radio 1 a fair few times. But then again so has Bullet for my Valentine and Deaf Havana.

[quote name='Brushfire' timestamp='1319814096' post='5604590']
Untrue. Mainstream means that it is POPULAR, not GOOD.
[/quote]
Well, good and bad are subjective. But you can't say something is bad just because it's mainstream, you can't deny that the majority likes it, and finds it good.

[quote name='Horus' timestamp='1319816792' post='5604630']
Well, good and bad are subjective. But you can't say something is bad just because it's mainstream, you can't deny that the majority likes it, and finds it good.
[/quote]

Everything is subjective; but Opal's already been through this so lets not repeat things. I wouldn't say "it's bad because it's mainstream" as such, I don't see the two as being related at all. There are songs which I consider good and mainstream, and songs I consider bad and mainstream. Naturally there is bad and mainstream and bad and not mainstream too. It would be stupid to claim that the majority likes it too and throughout writing these 9 pages of mostly utter crap your posts brought the quality of the thread up.

[quote name='Brushfire' timestamp='1319817096' post='5604637']
Everything is subjective; but Opal's already been through this so lets not repeat things. I wouldn't say "it's bad because it's mainstream" as such, I don't see the two as being related at all. There are songs which I consider good and mainstream, and songs I consider bad and mainstream. Naturally there is bad and mainstream and bad and not mainstream too. It would be stupid to claim that the majority likes it too and throughout writing these 9 pages of mostly utter crap your posts brought the quality of the thread up.
[/quote]
Thanks.

At least we agree. :D

[quote name='Horus' timestamp='1319817197' post='5604638']
Thanks.

At least we agree. :D
[/quote]

There's enough hate in the world without people hating each other for something as stupid as their music taste! It's not like it really matters anyway... I can like Lamb of God while my ex liked Example and things still be fine... or maybe that's why she's my ex. ;)

Archived