Why do kids listen to sh*t?

Cowboy Dan

For example, I asked a [female] friend of mine what a good song to listen to would be- she suggested 'Super Bass' by Nicki Minaj. Sure, maybe she can sing, but nowhere in the song is there any indication of an instrument other than 'The Computer'.

And it's the same with other friends of mine, too: they listen to Lil' Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, Lady Gaga, Eminem (and I mean seriously, Eminem? He never even passed 9th grade). None of the artists previously mentioned, I bet, can even play an instrument.

Why are bands like Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, hell, even current rock bands like Rise Against and such, lost amongst America's youth?

(And this debate COMPLETELY excludes metal, no mention of metal- sure, it's real instruments, but I find it a seperate point in a debate such as this).

GO!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modern music is more about image. That's all there is to it, unfortunately. Naturally, it leaves better music in the dust.

Also, most of the bands you mentioned are incredibly old. That's a huge contributing factor to their lack of popularity. They cannot produce anything new, they're no longer around, most people won't listen to things like that. It's just a mindset, and a dumb one.

Personally, I see the general music genre pool of the general mind these days horrendously shallow, and it won't even attempt to expand into anything wider than is generally fed to the ears. Radio stations play the songs, they become more popular, and they won't play any other genre of music because of it. If they had started with, say, "metal" as an example. (I quote, because it's too wide a genre to be specific, so to speak.) That is to say that radios had initially started with playing metal, and dominantly metal then that would be what is popular today, because it would have always been popular, and its derivatives too. Unfortunately, pop is what was played, and will be continued as such.

This always always always happens, regardless. Especially in Music. There isn't such a thing as bad music advice, it's like asking a person what a good movie or game is. If they like it, they like it: and it's good to them. If you like it, you like it and it's good to you. Either you succumb to the hipster effect (if that's even a term) as you've done here, you follow whatever is mainstream at the time, or you do what any reasonable human would do. Listen to what their ears enjoy, take music advice as pure interest and continue as you are. This isn't a debate unless you're forcing something that is... oh god I hate repeating myself like this 20 million times... preference.

Oh and the stuff I listen to? Might make the ears of my friends bleed, and I've accepted that but it is what I like and it is good to me. Just as their music I might see as distasteful FOR ME. But I always give it a time of day, never insult it except in a sarcastic tone, and learn to appreciate their interests.

Don't try and say something is bad, when you apparently can't even accept flavor.

Topic moved to Music.

[b][i][size=5][color=#0000ff]EDIT: 17'000 POSTS![/color][/size][/i][/b]

You should of saw Kerrang's protest against Bring Me To The Horizon not getting nominated for a Mercury award (even though they were highly expected to be nominated)

I find most music too much about Love and Stuff, hence I like artists like Fanatic/Marc A. Pullen who sings about some crazy stuff (like Tsunamis and Drinking until you're sick)

And Cher Lloyd the less said about her single the better.

[quote name='The Unicellular Unicorn' timestamp='1313775621' post='5455231']
And it's the same with other friends of mine, too: they listen to Lil' Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, [b]Lady Gaga[/b], Eminem (and I mean seriously, Eminem? He never even passed 9th grade). [b]None of the artists previously mentioned, I bet, can even play an instrument.[/b]
[/quote]
Think again.

Although, I do agree with most of your point.

[quote name='The Unicellular Unicorn' timestamp='1313775621' post='5455231']
For example, I asked a [female] friend of mine what a good song to listen to would be- she suggested 'Super Bass' by Nicki Minaj. Sure, maybe she can sing, but nowhere in the song is there any indication of an instrument other than 'The Computer'.

And it's the same with other friends of mine, too: they listen to Lil' Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, Lady Gaga, Eminem (and I mean seriously, Eminem? He never even passed 9th grade). None of the artists previously mentioned, I bet, can even play an instrument.

Why are bands like Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, hell, even current rock bands like Rise Against and such, lost amongst America's youth?

(And this debate COMPLETELY excludes metal, no mention of metal- sure, it's real instruments, but I find it a seperate point in a debate such as this).

GO!
[/quote]

Times have changed. We're moving into the future where people don't need to be able to play instruments. Maybe you don't like it but the kids have moved on from rock to pop. Deal With It.

People listen to what they want. I used to say I couldn't stand rap because of the "Kill, sex, pimp hoes" kind of content....then I realized alot of the vidja gaems I play have that content....so that arguement was null and void.

Everyone has their different musical opinions...none are wrong, none are right. We like what we want. Simple as that.

[media='']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI[/media][spoiler=My post]I don't think Lady Gaga or Eminem are bad. it was a while since I last listened to any Eminem song, but I still like some of his songs.

Let people listen to whatever music they like.[/spoiler]

Maybe the fact isn't that they can't play instruments more that they can't be bothered to play instruments, Besides the fact that you can't really say what is good music; people have thier opinions and like what they like, of course in our minds good music is music in which someone spent thier time and money into making, where as someone whom has a great image and representation for example Justin Bieber; Alot of girls love him WHY? Because They believe he has a good look, Never have I heard a girl say they like Justin Bieber because he is a good singer.

Now I think this will be very Stereo-Typical to say this but, Gangsters and People whom are from a rough area will like to listen to Rap More, I don't know why, maybe because the topics on the songs but who knows.

Archived