So, Can't start new threads under "news" eh?

dylan11932

Question

[size=6][u][color=#FF0000][b]Well, I wanted to post this under news, and I hope all the staff, moderators etc. will read this. [/b][/color][/u][/size]

[size=5][b]Lately, I've been browsing this site, and the forums as well.[/b][/size]

[size=5][color=#FF0000][b] - [/b]One improvement[/color] I think could make this site better is to increase the usability of points. Points as of now serve little or no purpose to new users, and availability is slim(yes, I do know why), but why not emphasize or advertise their value to new users??[/size]

[size=5][color=#FF0000][b] - [/b]Another note [/color]worth discussing is that the YCM should be tweaked in a few respects. First off,[color=#FF0000] why not [/color]add a function to the card-maker to allow holofoil overlays on cards of higher rarity?[color=#FF0000] [/color][/size]

[size=5][color=#FF0000][b] -[/b] Maybe[/color] an embossed font, image and level star editor to make them appear "secret rare"? [/size]

[size=5] [color=#FF0000]-Why [/color]not allow the YCM to make token cards, or XYZ('JP Dark/Shadow synchro) type monsters? [/size]

[size=5][color=#FF0000]-Why [/color]can't older, dependable and experienced web users become 'staff'-members if their credentials are good enough? [/size]

[size=5][color=#FF0000] -Why [/color]only 6-stars as a level cap for forum users, and no real award for being a faithful member of this wonderful site we all participate in?[/size]

[size=5][color=#FF0000][b]-[u]All feedback[/u][/b][/color][b]is greatly appreciated, so please leave comments on your opinion[/b][color=#FF0000][b](we all have an opinion, so why not share it?)[/b][/color][/size]

18 answers to this question

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][quote name='dylan11932' timestamp='1320546144' post='5620420']
- One improvement I think could make this site better is to increase the usability of points. Points as of now serve little or no purpose to new users, and availability is slim(yes, I do know why), but why not emphasize or advertise their value to new users??[/quote][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Because there literally is no way to use Points for us. This is because Points are designed to be used for IP.Nexus, a plugin for our forums that let's users buy stuff. However, since there is nothing to buy, we cannot use Points to their full potential.
[quote name='dylan11932' timestamp='1320546144' post='5620420']
- Another note worth discussing is that the YCM should be tweaked in a few respects. First off, why not add a function to the card-maker to allow holofoil overlays on cards of higher rarity?[/quote][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][quote name='dylan11932' timestamp='1320546144' post='5620420']
-Maybe an embossed font, image and level star editor to make them appear "secret rare"? [/quote]
-Why not allow the YCM to make token cards, or XYZ('JP Dark/Shadow synchro) type monsters? [/quote][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Because YCMaker can only do it, and he hasn't updated the card maker in about 8 months.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] -Why can't older, dependable and experienced web users become 'staff'-members if their credentials are good enough? [/quote]
[quote name='dylan11932' timestamp='1320546144' post='5620420'][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Also because YCMaker is hardly ever on, and doesn't know us very well.
-Why only 6-stars as a level cap for forum users, and no real award for being a faithful member of this wonderful site we all participate in?[/quote][/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]No "real" awards, since it does cost money, and YCM is already very costly to host. YCMaker, did however, make a contest to give away a few card packs. But that was it.[/font]

[quote name='Twilight Sparkle' timestamp='1320557367' post='5620713']
Funny how you say that in bold and make yourself look like you're butthurt :/

Seriously guys, stop with all the html stuff or whatever, it's not needed here.
[/quote]

[b]Oh I see what you did there, good one mate! :3[/b]

[b]I agree with you, but I'm just saying that some people do like to post in different fonts like I like to post in bold.[/b]

[b]I also agree with you on your previous post before, I probably wouldn't have even posted if the topic creator just simply made a normal post.[/b]

[quote name='dylan11932' timestamp='1320546931' post='5620456']
"I don't accept defeat, as defeat isn't in my nature. As long as somebody will be devoted to an idea, that idea will live on..."
But please don't judge me because I'm new on here, as I have much experience in many aspects of life- more than most.
[/quote]

[b]Um... you said we could post our own opinions and that it's greatly appreciated and now you're telling us not to judge you when that in itself is an opinion?[/b]

[b]And honestly you sound like a child at the supermarket who didn't get what he wanted and is now yelling at his parents. Seriously don't post in red and in big letters it makes us think you're angry and just a noob.

I'm just letting you know that you're kinda contradicting yourself.[/b]

The whole purpose of this topic was to inform staff of the requests of standard end-users of the cardmaker and forum. The sole purpose of red is not to insinuate an angry reaction, but to grab hold of the reader's attention most efficiently by manipulating the ocular lense. I, as a graphic designer, utilize these techniques regularly to impress the importance of specific problems which need attention quickly and effeciently upon who the message is directed torwards. This topic was posted as it was to grab the attention of as many staff as possible, and not to indeed remedy the scenario; merely to present several opinions of end-users for which staff to ponder over. I myself, must agree with your replies to this topic- but keep in mind that everything I had done was for 1 sole purpose. Also, I understand why you can't whimsically elect moderators or staff- and the motives behind your statements. Updates to a card-maker which recieves many new users each consecutive day should be regularly updated. Or maybe, even post a downloadable form of the cardmaker for people to use locally on their computer. Also, the point issue has been thoroughly thought through by staff, and I know this. However, why limit the more devoted users to simply spend points on such things as contests? If an incentive is percieved as worthless, then why bother to enter a contest to begin with? You see, every decison has deep-rooted consequences. All I wish is to make this place alive and enjoyable for my fellow members of this website we are all a part of- and as such a member, it is my duty to inform you of the issues revolving around this site. I close on this final note; I am just a messenger- to present facts, opinions and information to you. I cannot change the way things are, and it is indeed your duty to remedy the faults percieved by newer or less-experinced forum members. All I wish is to see the ideas and beliefs embodied by this website live on...

I'm going to flat out answer this one:
[b][size=5][color=#FF0000]-Why can't older, dependable and experienced web users become 'staff'-members if their credentials are good enough? [/color][/size][/b]

Because maybe, I don't know? Many of them aren't? The dude with the most reps, was the least qualified to run Card Contests. The people who know the most about the game, often have a personality unfit of a moderator despite fitting perfectly in every other category. The people with the most influence over a section, often are not the best at ANYTHING because of a simple factor of manipulative standardization; something that should not be tolerated. The people with the most active clubs may not be the best choice for various reasons etc. Why can't we? Because the variables are too extreme, and popularity has nothing to do with responsibility or capability. This is not opinion, it is fact when deciding in a moderator (and I've basically appointed 3 myself: Mikhail [slow but reliable], Hunter [he was only intended for custom cards I take no responsibility for what he did in general] and Phantom Roxas [I don't see him as a good Super Moderator by any measure but again he was intended strictly for custom cards where he did a great job for his short service there]).

Haha, sorry, but I just used that font to get the attention of people on the forums more easily. Also, I enjoy criticism- the only reason I commented otherwise before was that the reaction to my post sounded like she judged me for my "newness" to the forums. This topic is f

*For everybody to see, and for everybody to comment on. My statements aren't contradictory, just specified against certain comments- and all I really want is to have this site live on. Also, I'm not a 'child' in a supermarket, as that metaphor sounds condescending of my intelligence.

[quote]- One improvement I think could make this site better is to increase the usability of points. Points as of now serve little or no purpose to new users, and availability is slim(yes, I do know why), but why not emphasize or advertise their value to new users??[/quote]

Points do not have any value though, so there is nothing to advertise.

As for your first point (increase usability of points), that's something only an admin can do.

[quote]- Another note worth discussing is that the YCM should be tweaked in a few respects. First off, why not add a function to the card-maker to allow holofoil overlays on cards of higher rarity? [/quote]

Again, that is something on an admin (like Falling Pizza or YCMaker) can add to the card maker. In any case, I've always disliked holographic overlays for ridiculously high rairty cards.

This: http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/b/b6/Tethys%2CGoddessofLightSDLS-EN-C-1E.png

Just looks so much better then this:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100612044948/yugioh/images/e/e3/Tethys%2CGoddessofLightCRMS-EN-ScR-UE.jpg

Just ruins a good picture IMO. =\

[quote]- Maybe an embossed font, image and level star editor to make them appear "secret rare"? [/quote]
Similar to the above, only YCMaker can add that. Some may argue it looks uglier that way.

[quote]-Why not allow the YCM to make token cards, or XYZ('JP Dark/Shadow synchro) type monsters? [/quote]
Only YCMaker can do that.

[quote]-Why can't older, dependable and experienced web users become 'staff'-members if their credentials are good enough? [/quote]
Because even if you're very well versed in php or whatever the hell this board is running on, being a 'staff member' doesn't mean anything. It's 100% the admin who's in charge of adding things, fixing things, etc tc.

[quote]-Why only 6-stars as a level cap for forum users, and no real award for being a faithful member of this wonderful site we all participate in?[/quote]
What reward would be acceptable to you?

[quote]"I don't accept defeat, as defeat isn't in my nature. As long as somebody will be devoted to an idea, that idea will live on..."
But please don't judge me because I'm new on here, as I have much experience in many aspects of life- more than most. [/quote]
We're not judging you because you're new. We're telling you that you're far from the first person to suggest this.

Why is it that we summed most of this up in the first few posts but it's still going?

[quote name='dylan11932' timestamp='1320587265' post='5621081']
The whole purpose of this topic was to inform staff of the requests of standard end-users of the cardmaker and forum. The sole purpose of red is not to insinuate an angry reaction, but to grab hold of the reader's attention most efficiently by manipulating the ocular lense. I, as a graphic designer, utilize these techniques regularly to impress the importance of specific problems which need attention quickly and effeciently upon who the message is directed torwards. This topic was posted as it was to grab the attention of as many staff as possible, and not to indeed remedy the scenario; merely to present several opinions of end-users for which staff to ponder over. I myself, must agree with your replies to this topic- but keep in mind that everything I had done was for 1 sole purpose. Also, I understand why you can't whimsically elect moderators or staff- and the motives behind your statements. Updates to a card-maker which recieves many new users each consecutive day should be regularly updated. Or maybe, even post a downloadable form of the cardmaker for people to use locally on their computer. Also, the point issue has been thoroughly thought through by staff, and I know this. However, why limit the more devoted users to simply spend points on such things as contests? If an incentive is percieved as worthless, then why bother to enter a contest to begin with? You see, every decison has deep-rooted consequences. All I wish is to make this place alive and enjoyable for my fellow members of this website we are all a part of- and as such a member, it is my duty to inform you of the issues revolving around this site. I close on this final note; I am just a messenger- to present facts, opinions and information to you. I cannot change the way things are, and it is indeed your duty to remedy the faults percieved by newer or less-experinced forum members. All I wish is to see the ideas and beliefs embodied by this website live on...
[/quote]

When you say the requests of standard-end users, you actually mean just yourself.

I [b]don't[/b] care how you're working to catch the attention of our ocular lenses. It's called an eye. AN EYE, FOR GOODNESS SAKE.

And I'm a semi-professional graphic designer too, and I can easily say right now: no, my eyes hurt, and it's catching my attention in a bad way.

And the card-maker will be updated when it needs to be updated. YCMaker has other things going on in his life. He's not going to spend each waking minute regularly updating the Card Maker code. There is a similar downloadable form of the card maker in Custom Cards > Written Cards. GO THERE BEFORE YOU ASK. GOGOGO.

People join contests because they are fun, not just for points :S Why are you on this website? It's useless [/herpderp]

If you haven't noticed, the majority of people here are happy.

I look at your last sentence then realise this is just you wanting to be some sort of revolutionist.

[quote name='dylan11932' timestamp='1320551937' post='5620588']
Also, I'm not a 'child' in a supermarket, as that metaphor sounds condescending of my intelligence.
[/quote]
It's not intelligence, just your post format. Sure big bright letters gets attention, but it's the OP, it doesn't need attention. Bit letters also has the connotation of yelling, and red with anger. See the problem? If you had just done a regular post, that metaphor would have probably never seen the light of day in this topic.

You're new...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but none of this will happen.

-Nobody cares about points anymore
-Card Maker is dead and not updated because our fellow admin is not very interested anymore.

At least you want to do stuff, which is a good thing. But, the chances of it happening are very slim.

This would never go in news anyway, News is not for suggestions.
- I've tried to get the points fixed because the sections I mod need them, but it's not gonna be done anytime soon.
- Updates to the card maker will be done when they're done.
- Icy has said enough on the Mod point. Experience of the section doesn't mean you're suitable.
- What reward can be given?

1. Points are unfortunately bugged at the moment. Hopefully that will be fixed, but giving guides on points sound good.
2. Holofoil overlays would be nice, but they are very hard to get outside of already-used resources by other card maker sites. Meaning that YCM can't use them anyway.
3. Embossed font etc. would require unnecessary programming just for options that can be achieved if you have Photoshop. If you don't, well, you can't expect perfect cards. Besides, the Cardmaker will NOT be updated.
4. Tokens are able to be made. Copy the image address of the card, change address slightly for a token option. There's a tutorial on the site. Xyzs should be coming soon, if YCMaker bothers. Dark Synchros were NEVER released in the real TCG, so there is no need to make them. If you are desperate for them, download GIMP, and make them. Or ask someone in Shops.

[quote name='=King=' timestamp='1320556904' post='5620700']
[b]Funny how you sound like you're saying you have a lot of intelligence, yet you posted this thread in the wrong forum.[/b]
[/quote]
Funny how you say that in bold and make yourself look like you're butthurt :/

Seriously guys, stop with all the html stuff or whatever, it's not needed here.

Archived