[Finished]Player Cards for Yugioh (contest)

Sleepy

Ok, the following could be debatable, but the lines

'Target one Fire monster.... and if it does, your opponent draws one card. Destroy it during the end phase'

aren't quite yugioh card material, at least to me. Of course, I'm not exactly an expert on the subject, but I thought it should have been 'Destroy the selected monster during the end phase' or something like that. Of course, I could be completely wrong on this matter...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my. Ok looking at how it's Sunday night, I'll be starting my grading work now.

Any and all contestants have the right to ask and debate on their points and grades.

I'll first work on my criteria without really taking the other judges into account and post it here.

Then I'll average all grades, but not necessarily immediately afterwards. So don't think that my next post will be the absolute final thing. Not to mention I wanna leave a little bit of time for people to demand explanations from me as well (if needed).

As of right now, it's 8:48 PM for me. so any entries for this contest I still allow for the next 3 hours.

Well... time to work.

I suppose number grades and an explanation on how I use them needs to be a thing so:

Max grades:

OCG: 10

Balance:10

Flavor/Creativity:10

Art/Border design/etc (if needed): +2 because it's basically a bonus. It's worth praising and I love it if it's done, but it and it can't outplay the rest of the card's data.

Total: 30 (or 32 with bonus)

In order of when the entries were posted:

[spoiler=Armadilloz]

[spoiler=OCG: 9.5/10]

[Player Card]
(Banish 2 cards from your hand face-down)
Once per turn, the turn player can activate this effect at the start of their Main Phase 1: The Summon of the first monster they Summoned cannot be negated, and it is unaffected by other card effects. Also, that monster cannot be Tributed, or used as a Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Material monster, and it gains 300 ATK. These effects last until the End Phase.

That's basically it. I was gonna ask about why someone would not want to activate this, but yeah, equips and such can be disrupted otherwise, so it's good.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Balance: 10/10]

Banising face-down makes me sad face but I can see why you did it. Also, if you start the game with it you don't even have to worry about that part, although depending on who goes first if that happens your opponent might get to use it first.

It basically is just a small advantage for both players. You can take advantage of it by your first Summon not being a small material monster like many decks often do. Fusions and Rituals, or even working with Normal Summons is good enough. In that sense, your opponent won't get to use it to the same degree, but they can still use it. They can Trigger their Torrential without hurting their monster, or Call of the Haunted their boss.

The card overall is very nice so, there's no point in taking any points away, and if the card was just as useful for your opponent, odds are it wouldn't be worth using.

Loving it.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Creativity: 10/10]

It's basically a Gunpla shield that absorbs hits. I like the whole protective armor thing. Immunity would usually not be too high in here, but the twists it has I thought were pretty good. The shield actually provokes lag time for being used for a bigger monster.

[/spoiler]

Total= 29.5/30

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Kyng]

[spoiler=OCG: 9.5/10]

Activate this card by discarding and/or destroying a total of 2 Equip Cards you control.
Once per turn: The turn player can shuffle 1 card from their Graveyard,[space]that was equipped to a monster they controlled during the last two turns, into their Deck, then draw 1 card. Monsters equipped with Equip Cards cannot have their ATK or DEF reduced by card effects. During your Main Phase: You can Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Warrior-Type/LIGHT/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). This card is treated as an appropriate target for any Equip Card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Balance: 9/10]

I'll be honest, the card's drawing effect is a little bit too situational.

I understand the Equip Card itself doesn't have to be equipped all that time, but the monster itself still needs to be on for that long without moving. Leaving and returning like Stardust breaks the link, so it's rather hard to use. 

That's basically all the issues I have with it. The card could be faster without being too powerful, and could be tweaked a little bit if there is a specific kind of cards you don't wanna support (among Unions, Dragunities, Inzektors, actual Equip Spell Cards, or Traps that become Equips).

On the bright side, the card itself has some nice points. It's basically a free monster if it's the Player Card you started with, and it's Activation conditions actually help a few strategies. For example being able to destroy Dragunity Aklis without Legionary or Vajrayana being the ones to do it. Kudos for that.

In an unrelated note, the lack of targeting feels kind of weird. Can't say that's necessarily bad though.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Creativity: 9/10]

I had a hard time looking for exactly what the flavor explanations are. What I could come up with is this:

The armor is alive so it can fight as a monster.

It protects the user from weapons and traps. Seal and Tryce's Guardian Equip Spell Cards without ATK loss, and is immune to Shrink or Gale the Wirlwind.

It takes your weapon indefinitely for repair (to the deck). This last one I'm not entirely convinced on, though.

All in all, I'll take it. This is the part of the grade that really depends on my imagination so yeah......

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Bonus: +2]

I can't tell if you forgot the [Player Card] wording that usually goes where a monster's Level would be, or if you decided not to use it, but the rest of the work is very nice.

[/spoiler]

Total= 29.5/30

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Guan Yu: the Saint of War]

[spoiler=OCG: 6/10]

(When you would Summon a level 6 or higher Warrior-Type monster, you can activate this card instead.)
When a Warrior-Type monster declares an attack: It gains 500 ATK during the damage calculation only. Each time a Warrior-Type monster you control destroys a monster by battle: Place 1 War Counter on this card. Each time your opponent destroys a Warrior-Type monster by battle: Place 1 Warfare Counter on this card. The turn player can activate one of these effects:
● The owner of this card: You can remove all War Counter on this card: Special Summon this card in face-up Attack Position (Warrior-Type/EARTH). Its level is equal to the amount of War Counters removed from this card and it gains ATK for each War Counter removed. (how much ATK?)
The opponent of this card's controller: You can remove all Warfare Counter on this card: Special Summon this card in face-up Attack Position (Warrior-Type/EARTH). Its level is equal to the amount of Warfare Counters removed from this card and it gains ATK for each Warfare Counter removed. (basically, both players get the same effect, so it's a bit pointless to separate it like that, and again: How much ATK for each War Counter exactly?)

"The owner of this card's opponent". So... who owns your opponent? (jk)

Though in a more serious note, there IS a lot of OCG to be fixed; one of the parts (the blue one) even affects how this card could work. Some of the decisions on wording are a bit confusing.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Balance: 7/10]

It's not exactly broken, but the ability for your opponent to Summon it whenever makes it way too risky to use at all. You can't count on it just being a nice Warrior boost because as soon as it is used once, it'll get at least 1 War Counter, so either you'll be forced to Summon it, or your opponent will Summon it, and that'll be the end of it. Not to mention the Counters don't really do anything else except represent when this card will lose all it's Player Card properties and become a monster for fodder.

On one hand, it's a free extra monster you can Synchro or Xyz monster right off the bat.

On the other hand, it's just a Player Card for that turn. Which goes a little bit away from the point of this contest. Granted, Kyng's card also becomes one, but it's not really forced to do it like this card is.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Creativity: 8/10]

It's a time bomb, I guess it can have flavor points for being a barbarian warlord that just fights anything and everything, going to either side fairly quickly.

[/spoiler]

Total= 21/30

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Hikari-chan]

[spoiler=OCG: 9.9/10]

[Player Card]
(Activate by paying 2000 Life Points when your Life Points are 9000 or more)
When you gain 500 or more Life Points: You can place 1 Holy Counter on this card. If you would take any damage or a face-up monster(s) you control would be destroyed, you can remove 3 Holy Counters from this card instead. Once per turn, during their respective turn, a player can activate this effect: Draw 1 card, and if you do, your opponent gains 1000 Life Points. If this card was restored: You can place 2 Holy Counters on this card.

The only bit I saw is so insignificant that I can't even reduce half a point off the grade. It's basically flawless otherwise.

There is one thing I'd like to suggest though. This is not a correction so I didn't write it: I think it'd be better if you leave the continuous effect for last. Cards are often done in that format.

Summoning conditions. Then, Triggers > Continuous OR Continuous > Triggers, but you have a continuous in the middle.

I mean the one I underlined.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Balance: 8/10]

I love all the other effects, but the drawing effect is an issue in my opinion. Upstart Goblin every turn for both players for the rest of the game is just asking for the speed of the duel to go nuts, and for the card to become very useful outside of the Life gaining decks it is probably intended for. Even if you said that both players are getting that same benefit, there's the issue that you could just as well eventually find something that would burn you a little every turn. Which would cause you to draw every turn and be able to turn it off to prevent your opponent from using it. Then in a Life Point Deck, something like Ladybug can turn it back on for you with 2 Holy Counters on it.

Now, I'm not entirely sure an ideal burning combo like that exists as of now, but this is the sort of card that would restrict future design in certain fields like that.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Creativity: 10/10]

Simply love the concept.

I'll pray for you, come back safe. God will protect you. 

Not to mention it makes Life gain Decks have more of a solid stance. Be it for the sake of protection.

[/spoiler]

Total= 27.9

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=-someone-]

[spoiler=OCG: 8/10]

(Tribute 1 Level 5 or higher FIRE monster or 2 FIRE monsters)
Both players can Normal Summon FIRE monsters for 1 less Tribute. Once per turn, the turn player can activate this effect: Target 1 FIRE monster on your side of the field; it can attack your opponent directly this turn, and if it does, your opponent draws 1 card, and the monster is destroyed during the End Phase. When this card is Restored, your opponent immediately gains 1000 Life Points.  During your next Standby Phase after this card was negated: Restore this card. When this card is restored: Destroy 1 card in your hand or that you control, and if you do, banish 1 card from either player's Graveyard.

-"attack", not "attacks"
-The monster being destroyed is a result of that previous effect, not an independent effect altogether, so it can't have it's own sentence.
-"immediately" is not really necessary, but this one is not particularly bad, so I'm not really accounting it towards the grade.
-If you just say "when you do", you are making it sound like it's a continuation of the previous effect, when in reality it's just trying to save space for "when this card is restored" OR "when this card is restored this way". There is also something odd about the card giving the conditions to trigger another of it's trigger effects. I personally think the auto-restoring effect should be continuous and optional, and that the last effect should target something, but that's just me.

[/spoiler]

It's a pretty handy Legendary Ocean for FIRE, and the direct attack effect works wonderfully with Zenmaines, Sacred Phoenix, and Garunix. Maybe Fire Kings can abuse that effect to make your opponent's barriers pointless when going for the OTK though. Also, Zenmaines is the only one I can think of that other players would use so it's mostly gonna be a one-sided advantage.

The auto-restoring effect with heal for your opponent, in combination with Simochi and cards like Snake Syndrome can make for a one-sided time bomb. I don't have a problem with that.

The last effect can be appreciated by certain cards, but I can't think of something concrete right now. I wanna use it on Dark Dessertapir pretty badly though.

[/spoiler]

Err I can't quite see the flavor, and this card looks a lot like Fire King support mostly. Feel free to reply to me on this one. ^^"

[/spoiler]

Total= 25/30

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Kwisatz-Haderach]

[Player Card]
Banish 2 Psychic-Type Tuner monsters from your hand or Deck. When the turn player Synchro Summons or Xyz Summons a monster: The opponent can Special Summon 1 "Tesla Ghost Token" (Psychic/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in face-up Defense position. These Tokens cannot be Tributed, also they cannot be destroyed during the turn they are Summoned. Any battle damage from battles involving Psychic-Type monsters is treated as Effect Damage. Once per turn: The turn player can pay 800 Life Points; "Tesla Ghost Tokens" are treated as Tuner monsters this turn. When a player uses a "Tesla Ghost Token" as Synchro Material Monster, the other Synchro Material Monster(s) must be a Psychic-Type monster(s). The turn player can target 1 "Tesla Ghost Token" they control: They send any number of their banished Psychic-Type monsters to the Graveyard, then declare a Level equal or lower than the combined Level of the returned monsters; the target's Level becomes the declared one. Once per turn, if your Life Points are at least 2000 lower than your opponent's: You can banish 1 Level/Rank 8 or lower Psychic-Type monster from your Extra deck; gain 200 Life Points for each Level/Rank of the banished monster. 

About the blue part, if you can't banish a monster with Ranks, the resolution doesn't have a reason to address them either. Since it does, I'm just filling in a blank.

Also, which ones are it's conditions for activation? or it doesn't have any and all of the above are effects?

[/spoiler]

Other than the initial banishing effect, which I'm not experienced enough with the deck to realize how powerful/balanced it might be, I can't see any OMG broken potential plays.

I have to point out that it's a nice thing that you give tokens to your opponent that are invincible walls that turn, but that your opponent can't really use other than for Tribute Summons. I'd even say it can just seal away the zones eventually. I'm not sure what to think of this bit, to be honest. I guess I'll just depend on the other judges for this one.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Creativity: 6/10]

12 lines of text. This is the most complicated card I've seen in a while. Realistically speaking, that's enough effects to fit into around 3 cards, and if you were to shrink the card down to the official size of IRL cards, the text wouldn't even be legible. I think it's way too many things on it's own. More of an all-purpose Psychic-type needs. Addressing Life gain tactics, Level modifiers, material suppliers, and it's own Foolish Burial for the banish theme of Psychics.

[/spoiler]

Total= 23/30

[/spoiler]

I have finished posting my personal judging.

I'll let them sit there today so people have a time to see them and possibly reply to me on certain parts if needed.

I tried to make it all be friendly and constructive criticism. 

Also, because it seems I'll have stuff to do today. So I won't be able to be around here for much longer as of right now.

Really, regardless of who the winners are, thank you all for participating =D

[spoiler=-someone-]

(Tribute 1 Level 5 or higher FIRE monster or 2 FIRE monsters)
Both players can Normal Summon FIRE monsters for 1 less Tribute. Once per turn, the turn player can activate this effect: Target 1 FIRE monster on your side of the field; it can attack your opponent directly this turn, and if it does, your opponent draws 1 card, and the monster is destroyed during the End Phase. When this card is Restored, your opponent immediately gains 1000 Life Points.  During your next Standby Phase after this card was negated: Restore this card. When this card is restored: Destroy 1 card in your hand or that you control, and if you do, banish 1 card from either player's Graveyard.

-"attack", not "attacks"
-The monster being destroyed is a result of that previous effect, not an independent effect altogether, so it can't have it's own sentence.
-"immediately" is not really necessary, but this one is not particularly bad, so I'm not really accounting it towards the grade.
-If you just say "when you do", you are making it sound like it's a continuation of the previous effect, when in reality it's just trying to save space for "when this card is restored" OR "when this card is restored this way". There is also something odd about the card giving the conditions to trigger another of it's trigger effects. I personally think the auto-restoring effect should be continuous and optional, and that the last effect should target something, but that's just me.

[/spoiler]

It's a pretty handy Legendary Ocean for FIRE, and the direct attack effect works wonderfully with Zenmaines, Sacred Phoenix, and Garunix. Maybe Fire Kings can abuse that effect to make your opponent's barriers pointless when going for the OTK though. Also, Zenmaines is the only one I can think of that other players would use so it's mostly gonna be a one-sided advantage.

The auto-restoring effect with heal for your opponent, in combination with Simochi and cards like Snake Syndrome can make for a one-sided time bomb. I don't have a problem with that.

The last effect can be appreciated by certain cards, but I can't think of something concrete right now. I wanna use it on Dark Dessertapir pretty badly though.

[/spoiler]

Err I can't quite see the flavor, and this card looks a lot like Fire King support mostly. Feel free to reply to me on this one. ^^"

[/spoiler]

Total= 25/30

[/spoiler]

looks like i got not so good in Balance and Creativity, but nah i cant do anything about that, but for OCG, both "When you do" and "that you control" part are same as Fire King monsters (to specified, "When you do: " from Garunix and "that you control" from Yaksha) which just recently released, so i think their OCG are correct and about destroy part, im also not so sure about this but many cards also start a new sentence (for most similar card, Infected Mail said "it can attack your opponent directly this turn. Send it to the Graveyard at the end of the Battle Phase." and well, attack part is really my stupid > <

just have nothing to do, so let's sum the score :)

looks like i got not so good in Balance and Creativity, but nah i cant do anything about that, but for OCG, both "When you do" and "that you control" part are same as Fire King monsters (to specified, "When you do: " from Garunix and "that you control" from Yaksha) which just recently released, so i think their OCG are correct and about destroy part, im also not so sure about this but many cards also start a new sentence (for most similar card, Infected Mail said "it can attack your opponent directly this turn. Send it to the Graveyard at the end of the Battle Phase." and well, attack part is really my stupid > <

at this point u need to admit judge's result first unless he change it, so if I didnt miscalculate them, the final score for all of u are

Armadilloz: 80.5

Kyng: 79.5

Guan Yu: the Saint of War: 69

Hikari-chan: 78.9

-Someone-: 79.5

Kwisatz-Haderach: 70

p.s. about the points thx u very much Sleepy, now im able to hold my own contest :D

I wanna apologize for not replying right now. I've been able to come check the site, but not enough to create any thoughtful replies and check on sources to verify stuff.

Just posting this so that you people don't think I'm just ignoring it all xP

@Scary Face:

You are welcome, and good luck with the project when you do create the contest.

Archived