[Finished]Player Cards for Yugioh (contest)

Sleepy

This is a contest for a custom mechanic of mine, which I'll briefly explain in order for you to be able to make the entries.

[spoiler=Player Cards]

The mechanic is similar to that of a "deck master".

I need to make this clear from the get go: To avoid confusion, remember, if I say "Player Card(s)" I mean the cards of this mechanic. If I say "Player(s)" it means you or your opponent.

-Player Cards go in your Extra Deck, and you can have up to 5 in your Extra Deck that do not count towards the 15-card limit.

If you have more than 5 Player Cards though, you need to abide to the 15-card limit of the Extra Deck.

-Player Cards are a new type of card that is neither Spell/Trap or monster. You "Activate" them though.

-By following it's instructions (whatever you want them to be. Be it Materials, specific conditions, costs, etc. Surprise me). you can activate them to any Zone on your side of the field. However they do not count as cards on the field, and cannot leave the field once activated.

-Each player can start with a Player Card in play for free (think of Player Cards more like a dress change for the duelist, that happens to have an effect). All other Player Cards you wanna activate after that first one, you need to fill their requirements.

-They can be shut on and off:

*If you inflict Effect Damage to a player(s), even yourself, you can exchange the Effect Damage you would have inflicted, and instead turn 1 of that target player's Player Cards sideways. This means the Player Card is negated.

*If you decided to go for damage instead of Player Card negation, the target player for that damage, can choose to have his/her Player Card intercept and turn sideways. This second rule applies for when the target player is getting any kind of damage as a safety net for OTK/FTK moves.

*In the same way, if you increase a player(s) Life Points, even yourself, you can exchange the Life gain the player would receive, and restore 1 of that target player's Player Cards back up. However your opponent doesn't have a say on what you wanna do with the Life gain you give them here.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Examples]

Bv9fx4A.jpg

[Player Card]
(Shuffle 1 card from your hand into the Deck.)
Once per turn, the turn player can activate this effect: Target 1 monster you control and declare 1 Attribute; the target's Attribute becomes the selected Attribute.

YJr4LC2.jpg

[Player Card]
(If you would Ritual Summon a Ritual Monster, activate this card instead)
Ritual Monsters can be Summoned/Set in any way as if they were Normal Monsters. Ritual Monsters Summoned in any way, except Ritual Summon, have their effects negated and are treated as Normal Monsters. Once per turn, the turn player can activate this effect: Banish 1 Ritual Spell Card in your Graveyard and target 1 Ritual Monster you control that is treated as a Normal Monster; Ritual Summon it.

[/spoiler]

The contest is simple:

Make one.

Kudos if you can make it workable for both sides of the field, and/or if you can use it to give support to a certain deck that you think needs an immediate option like this one at hand.

Think of these like Field Spell Cards more than anything, but kinda different.

In fact, turn them in to me from the Card Maker in the form of Field Spell Cards, but follow the rules for the mechanic that I set above, and remember, these are not flavor for "places" so don't bring me a forest or a wasteland.

General Rules:

-Entry is free. Anyone can enter (assuming I get enough people interested).

-All YCM rules apply.

-The contest will wait hmmm... let's say, a week from now, or next Sunday 12/22/13

-I will be the judge. However, since I don't particularly trust in my ability to be impartial due to some weird radical ideas I often get, I'll also open 1 slot for someone that might wanna team up with me to judge. If the contest gets enough attention ( 8 or more people) I'll even ask for a third person. We'll discuss the entries via PMs or Skype, or something... let's see how it all goes.

Prizes:

I'll give 500 points to the judge that pairs up with me, or to each one if we end up being 3.

1st place will have 1500 of my points

2st place will have 1000 of my points

3nd place will get 500 of my points

Any questions regarding ANYTHING ( know I said it'd be a brief explanation and it's half a page long, sorry) feel free to ask me.

Contestant list (bold=Turned it in already):

**8 so far**

*-someone-

*Guan Yu: the Saint of War

*Armadilloz

*Kyng

*ZephyrTFF

*TechGenusMaster

*Hikari-Chan

*sirburton / Kwisatz-Haderach

Judges:

*Sleepy

*Blue Amoonguss

*Scary Face

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to seem obnoxious or anything, but would you mind posting an example of what a player card would actually look like?
I mean, just as a visual guide to try give people ideas on what they should try and make, and to explain some of the stuff better.

That's a good idea. I'll update in a little bit with a couple casual examples.

Examples posted. The Ritual one might be a bit iffy, but it's an example nonetheless.

stuff in parenthesis is like the Materials. Which once again, are up to the imagination of the designer.

First player card in play that you start the game with is free and already in play.

Also, everyone pretty much accepted~

How many "Player Cards" can a person control? And if we don't wish to control the "Player Card" any longer, how can we get rid of it?

You can control as many as your field can hold. Player Cards can be placed in Monster Card Zones or Spell & Trap Card Zones.

Since the requirements to play them vary, just like with Synchros or Xyzs, you control as many as you can play.

This is currently a rough draft of the mechanic, I don't have a way for them to exactly go away.

They can be stunned into no longer being active.

Don't worry too much though, they don't count as cards on the field so you can use Theban Nightmare, Bubbleman, etc as if they weren't there regardless of if the Player Cards are active or not.

What you DO have to be careful about though, is that you DO lose Zones of the field by just bringing the Players out.

Hope this answered your questions.

You can control as many as your field can hold. Player Cards can be placed in Monster Card Zones or Spell & Trap Card Zones.

Since the requirements to play them vary, just like with Synchros or Xyzs, you control as many as you can play.

This is currently a rough draft of the mechanic, I don't have a way for them to exactly go away.

They can be stunned into no longer being active.

Don't worry too much though, they don't count as cards on the field so you can use Theban Nightmare, Bubbleman, etc as if they weren't there regardless of if the Player Cards are active or not.

What you DO have to be careful about though, is that you DO lose Zones of the field by just bringing the Players out.

Hope this answered your questions.

I see....

More questions!

When you said "no longer active" does that mean they cannot activate their effects?

And when you "just bringing the Players out," does that refer to the contestants or the actual "Player Cards"?

(Italicized words: I'm just kidding, I all ready know the answer. But read your very first post xD.)

I see....

More questions!

When you said "no longer active" does that mean they cannot activate their effects?

And when you "just bringing the Players out," does that refer to the contestants or the actually "Player Cards"?

(Italicized words: I'm just kidding, I all ready know the answer. But read your very first post xD.)

Yeeeeeeah.... I slipped there xD
I'm supposed to keep the distinction clear. Sorry about that.

And yes. "no longer active" means the card has all it's effects negated. IRL it'd be put sideways while in that state.

If you get to restore it by gaining Life Points, you turn it right side up and it's effects start working again.

As an extra side note: It doesn't matter if they are in the Monster Card Zone, if you don't have actual monster cards, direct attacks can still happen.

Of course you can technically intercept, but still xP

SO~ Assuming I got this right, here is my entry:

gAj9EpA.jpg

[Player Card]
(Banish 2 cards from your Hand Face-down)
Once per turn, the turn player can activate this effect at the start of their Main Phase 1: The Summon of the first monster they Summoned cannot be negated, and it is unaffected by other card effects. Also, that monster cannot be Tributed, or used as a Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Material monster, and it gains 300 ATK. These effects last until the End Phase.

Also, yes, I'm entering.

Yeeeeeeah.... I slipped there xD
I'm supposed to keep the distinction clear. Sorry about that.

And yes. "no longer active" means the card has all it's effects negated. IRL it'd be put sideways while in that state.

If you get to restore it by gaining Life Points, you turn it right side up and it's effects start working again.

As an extra side note: It doesn't matter if they are in the Monster Card Zone, if you don't have actual monster cards, direct attacks can still happen.

Of course you can technically intercept, but still xP

I thought you only intercept by taking Effect Damage not Battle Damage.

(Intercept really reminds me of Cardfight Vanguard >_<)

SO~ Assuming I got this right, here is my entry:

gAj9EpA.jpg
Also, yes, I'm entering.

I'll add you to the list right now  ='D

Though, I still also need a partner to judge with.

This looks fun as hell. I am in.

Do we need to make then as Field Spell Cards, or can we use a different card template should we have one?

I suggested Field Spell Cards because it's something available in the Card Maker, but I actually envisioned them as lime-green colored or something, personally, and with the "[Player Card]" card type where the "Spell Card" words should be.

Soo technically, if you can, it's perfectly fine by me.

Do the custom you wanna do, I'm curious to see xP

Also, you don't have to go by the way I envisioned it in this comment either n.n

I thought you only intercept by taking Effect Damage not Battle Damage.

(Intercept really reminds me of Cardfight Vanguard >_<)

I confess, I edited that bit a little while ago ^^"

I marked it red too to show that I had.

I also used that term "intercept" exactly because Vanguard uses it, so it's something some people would be quicker to understand. Plus, it's technically the flavor too. You either have Player Cards shielding you or your dress covering up the damage.

Since you are paying a decent cost for some Player Cards, I imagined it'd be somewhat more fair, but to be honest, I can't tell for certain. Have never play-tested this ^^"

Since you are paying a decent cost for some Player Cards, I imagined it'd be somewhat more fair, but to be honest, I can't tell for certain. Have never play-tested this ^^"

Kinda' the same logic as Oppression.
Oppression could be used by either player, and paying 800 kills the Summon of an Extra Deck monster used by the appropriate Opponent.

Kinda' the same logic as Oppression.
Oppression could be used by either player, and paying 800 kills the Summon of an Extra Deck monster used by the appropriate Opponent.

So should I change it back?
I mean, that second point is entirely the desicion of the Player Card's owner, would it really be something like Royal Oppression for the mechanic? you would not normally intercept actual Battle Damage unless you are about to lose or you really really needed to pay for something.

I meant for costs.gimmicky/etc to trigger the effect, then for your turn you get the effect of [Player X]'s Player Card.
You do X on Player-Y's card, and get Z effect for your turn.

Oh you mean as in, the ability of your opponent to work with your card(s)?

That's not set in stone exactly ^^"
I did it personally because this was created as a sort of correction to Field Spell Cards. Where even if the owner has advantage, it doesn't mean the opponent should be completely unable to use some of it to work in a clever way. I did not mean to make that part sound mandatory for the contest.

Other than what I wrote in the section where I explain the mechanic, you have freedom to make whatever conditions/materials, effects, images, and if you can, custom card colors, you wanna do. The rest is conventional preferences of mine.

But it's not solely gonna depend on my tastes though xD
I'm still waiting for someone to help me judge, and if I get to 8+ contestants, I'm probably gonna need 2 helpers for bigger fairness in judging.

I hope you like the interpretation for a Player Card I've came up with! =D
[spoiler=Kyng's Entry]

4Stk65z.png

Activate this card by discarding and/or destroying a total of 2 Equip Cards you control.
Once per turn: The Turn Player can shuffle 1 card from their Graveyard,that was equipped to a monster they controlled during the last two turns, into their Deck, then draw 1 card. Monsters equipped with Equip Cards cannot have their ATK or DEF reduced by card effects. During your Main Phase: You can Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Warrior-Type/LIGHT/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). This card is treated as an appropriate target for any Equip Card.

[/spoiler]

I figured that since "Player Cards" is similar to "Deck Master." So I decided to make a card based on my signature card. (Can be found in my signature >_<). (Will change once I figure out how to change the "Attribute" of the card to say "Player." And how to make the card lime green).

[spoiler='Guan Yu, the Warfare God']H0QsKKH.jpg
Lore:

(When you would Summon a level 6 or higher Warrior-Type monster, you can activate this card instead.)
When a Warrior-Type monster declares an attack: It gains 500 ATK during the damage calculation only. Each time a Warrior-Type monster the owner of this card controls destroys a monster by battle: Place 1 War Counter on this card. Each time a Warrior-Type monster the owner of this card's opponent destroys a monster by battle: Place 1 Warfare Counter on this card. The turn player can activate one of these effect:
● The owner of this card: You can remove all War Counter on this card: Special Summon this card in face-up Attack Position (Warrior-Type/EARTH). Its level is equal to the amount of War Counters removed from this card and it gains ATK for each War Counter removed.
● The owner of this card's opponent: You can remove all Warfare Counter on this card: Special Summon this card in face-up Attack Position (Warrior-Type/EARTH). Its level is equal to the amount of Warfare Counters removed from this card and it gains ATK for each Warfare Counter removed. [/spoiler]

Will someone also fix the OCG of this card? I know it's terribly wrong!

Thank you for posting this! I've been trying to figure out how to make deck masters work for days!

Also, don't mean to sound condescending, but I think Monsters work better than spells for this kind of thing. I would show you the example I made, but my computer's acting up.

You are welcome xP
The idea itself needs tunning down that would probably need some actual playtesting to get done, but the concept is there hehe.

Having monsters in the S/T Zones treated as monsters is something Konami didn't wanna risk having because of potential ruling issues, which is part of why The Seal or Orichalcos doesn't have the anime effect. Also, having a monster on the field at all would mean that your opponent can't possibly attack you directly if they are there, and that sideways means Defense Position, instead of my intended Stun quality.

The idea of having a character (player) does seem like it makes more sense in monster form because flavor, but for the sake of ruling issues, I opted for Field Spell Cards ^^"

The idea is something I've been working on for probably months now. It had many transformations, and I plan on using it in a fanfic I wanna draw in the future, though for now, the idea was to see how much acceptance the idea would have. I posted older versions of it around this forum at least 3 times in the past and I never really got much of a reply at all. So I'm actually pretty incredibly happy to see this contest is being successful  ='D

RE-Edit: Fixed the card, all polished and done. I've included two versions, you'll see the difference (though it is only aesthetic)

Sorry for the double post. Usually it lets ya add on to your most recent post =I

No worries on the double-post. The card looks pretty good and now I am suddenly feeling like owning these in Gold Series rarities for some reason xD

One of the versions doesn't have the "[Player Card]" on top of the image, but the template still looks really well.

The difference might be too subtile or it might just be my imagination, but I'm gonna guess the one in the right is the most recent format of thinner frames and the tittle more to the top. =D

I figured that since "Player Cards" is similar to "Deck Master." So I decided to make a card based on my signature card. (Can be found in my signature >_<). (Will change once I figure out how to change the "Attribute" of the card to say "Player." And how to make the card lime green).

[spoiler='Guan Yu, the Warfare God']H0QsKKH.jpg
Lore:

(When you would Summon a level 6 or higher Warrior-Type monster, you can activate this card instead.)
When a Warrior-Type monster declares an attack: It gains 500 ATK during the damage calculation only. Each time a Warrior-Type monster the owner of this card controls destroys a monster by battle: Place 1 War Counter on this card. Each time a Warrior-Type monster the owner of this card's opponent destroys a monster by battle: Place 1 Warfare Counter on this card. The turn player can activate one of these effect:
● The owner of this card: You can remove all War Counter on this card: Special Summon this card in face-up Attack Position (Warrior-Type/EARTH). Its level is equal to the amount of War Counters removed from this card and it gains ATK for each War Counter removed.
● The owner of this card's opponent: You can remove all Warfare Counter on this card: Special Summon this card in face-up Attack Position (Warrior-Type/EARTH). Its level is equal to the amount of Warfare Counters removed from this card and it gains ATK for each Warfare Counter removed. [/spoiler]

Will someone also fix the OCG of this card? I know it's terribly wrong!

You don't have to worry about my interpretations of it xP
It doesn't have to be lime-green and I don't know how to change or make custom icons and Attributes so don't worry ;D

Archived