YouTube (Google) is Buying Twitch for $1 Billion

Night

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/youtube-to-acquire-videogame-streaming-service-twitch-for-1-billion-sources-1201185204/

(note that this is still considered to be rumor, albeit a very very realistic one.)

This is pretty fucking mind-blowing for a plethora of reasons. Being the biggest streaming site, it was only a matter of time before Google decided buy in as they did with YouTube. Obviously you can see the issues with the potential acquisition. Google typically hasn't been in good graces with the majority of it's users due to the implementations recently made on YouTube. It would be moronic not to at least contemplate that the same could be done with Twitch. 

What YouTube mainly suffers from is content ID "violations", and the obligatory sign in through Google, among many other things. The beauty of Twitch is that there is very little copyright infringement, you play whatever the fuck you want, you listen to whatever the fuck you want, and you say pretty much whatever the fuck you want, that's the way we like it.

Alternatively, we should also consider the possibility of Google integrating Twitch into YouTube rather than simply funneling money into an already proven model. YouTube already has streaming capabilities, albeit underused, this could be a way to resolve that issue. 

In the event that Google can set aside their controlling tendencies and actually go the route of funneling money into something that's clearly already proven and can easily develop on it's own, this transaction could potentially be monumental for Twitch. 

in conclusion, this could prove to be well-deserved funding or the death of Twitch. 

tumblr_inline_mn28tnWmeN1qz4rgp.jpg

Sorry it had to be done lol.

My thoughts is that Google pretty much fucked up Youtube in a bad way..... From the mandatory Google Plus to the whole Copyright Flagging spree, Youtube has gone to s**t.... Now we have some CHannels that require a Fee to view them as well. Watch as Twitch becomes having to Pay to view say the League of Legends videos. That's if the Anti-Flagging bots don't pick up on the videos and Flag them first. We have a even darker future ahead of us if this is indeed true....

Google did mess Youtube up, but people can still make a living making videos from it. Some people I watch never allow comments anymore (Said person (NerdCubed) did have issues with copyright infringements that were automatically made without the owner of the materials consent even if they allow people to use their game on youtube). Many use other means of communication to discuss with their fans.

I only ever visited twitch to watch some of the Twitch Plays Pokemon videos, google should be careful to maintain the useful system they seem to have.

Oh please no. I can just imagine watching the International on YTwitch TM COCA COLA AFFILIATE  ®

Open the stream to be welcomed by a G+ popup telling you to follow the streamer, followed by a 10 minute buffer which allows you to watch 5 minutes of gameplay before GEMA takes the stream down because Dendi played a Biggie Smalls song from 1990 after which I have to fill out a form pledging never to be a part of such heinous activities. Then, saddened, I switch to an Arteezy stream, fill out a questionnaire about G+ and listen to him rant about Bloodstone Tinker rather than Dagon Tinker depending on the game.

Which is when I just go watch it ingame.

That Youtube copyright thing is so annoying, tempted to delete all the videos I have to get rid of it coming up. The G+ thing never really annoyed me to be honest, most of the videos I watch the content is silly enough to have silly comments.

Google wants your entire internet experience to be through them.

In other words: they're going to integrate Twitch with everything else they have. No doubts whatsoever.

On the other hand, you can consider that Google has undoubtedly heard about the multitudes of problems with Let's Plays being taken down even if the game's creators don't mind. Perhaps buying Twitch allows them to basically put all their video game content on a separate site that isn't affected by the content ID stuff.

I'm moving to hitbox or w/e it's called.

If this is a repeat of Yahoo buying tumblr where they buy it but absolutely nothing happens then I won't care but Google ruins everything they touch besides their search engine.

Also, twitch already has copyright things set in place anyway, but it's really simple things that no normal person would do anyway (no streaming anime/movies, no games before street date, etc.)

This probably shouldn`t happen, Google is probably going to make it Google-plus-is-required land, and this could mean the entire loss of Twitch, which means a lot of things... including the loss of TPP

"Google wants your entire internet experience to be through them"

That shouldn`t happen either.

Archived