Evilswarm Exciton Knight

300px-EvilswarmExcitonKnight-LVAL-EN-ScR

I don't care how much flak I'm going to get for this.
But I refuse to use this card on the grounds that it is terrible game design.
It's the cheapest copout of a field nuke ever, and I am getting more and more tired of counting my cards to make sure I don't set it off.
And yet, we keep buying the $100 f**ks like hotcakes.
So why can't we all just get over Exciton, agree to not use it anymore, and move on?

Why do we have to live with this terrible, terrible card?

The instant someone gets [x] more cards then someone doesn't always warrant an instant Exciton. It mostly depends on the given environment to which how the impact of this card will play out.

Punishes overextending in a game where, sadly, no other way to punish such a playstyle currently exists in the legal metagame.

So why do we let ourselves throw money at Konami to winmoar?

If it's that great, you'd be stupid not to run it.

You shouldn't say no to running an unfair card because it's unfair.

You should run it because it's unfair, and the key to winning any card game (the Japanese ones, at least) is to be unfair.

But that doesn't make any sense.

Why play a game that's unfair?

But that doesn't make any sense.

Why play a game that's unfair?

Because, the Yu-Gi-Oh! playerbase loves to complain?

There are people in the world who willingly put up with abuse and suffering just to have first world problems to share with friends.

There are also the others who find more constructive reasons to stay with this game by making ad revenue from "Yugi-Tubing."

Some may just find the game fun...for some reason.

I won't buy it. (I don't buy anything anymore)

But I run it.

It's more balanced than you'd think. The no battle damage helps. Letting it stay on the field helps less. (It doesn't really help)

But Synchro era had Black Rose, and that was fine for the most part. Albeit arguably much less spammable than Exciton.

You can probably get away with not running it if you can't afford it, though. I mean, opponents are generally going to play like you do have it.

I actually quite like this card's balance. Powerful? Sure. Terrible game design? Not really.

The fact that a) it stops you from dealing any damage, so you can't OTK, and b) leaves you with just your hand, a 1900 ATK beater and presumably you are 2 Level 4s down from where you began.

I can count the number of times I felt the need to use Exciton on one hand. The number of times I won after playing it is lower than the previous number. Similarly, I have seen few people use Exciton, and fewer win after using it. That is to say, Exciton isn't a win button. Against a competent player or a reasonably tiered deck it does little more than stall until they can get their field presence back.

It punishes players not for overextending alone, but for overextending without the proper protection. Just as ARK doesn't punish Special Summoning boss monsters, it punishes Special Summoning them in Attack Position without the proper protection.

I think this card is actually pretty cleverly made.

Half the time people nuke me, it feels more like a waste on their part for what could have been a bigger push. The trick to not fall too badly behind against this card is the same as the trick used against Torrential. Mirror Force or Heavy Storm: Don't overextend too much. 

This card actually lacks the surprise factor that Torrential has, and is more of a tactical wipe than anything else. If they use it on their turn, they forsake their Battle Phase, and if they use it during your Battle Phase (or plan to) they are risking you no longer meeting said conditions by the time you enter it, and you should be able to play around him once he pops out.

I'm sure there must be times when he does make the difference as the staple that he is, but I don't really see those all that often.

I don't have one, personally. Whenever I am in the possession of a card that costs 30+ USD I sell it. As the casual player I am, I perfectly understand people in the competitive scene gaining something out of them, but I am not gonna get any benefit from it, and rather will just miss the chance for cash once the reprint comes out. It happens very often to me that I pull out something like Duality or Tour Guide back in the day, and sell it, for 100, only to re-buy the 8 dollar versions a few years later. Sure it's nowhere near as good as it was when only the expensive version was around, but as a casual player, I don't care. I've always had a problem with prices this high anyways personally. Especially more so when we all know most of those cards out there are gonna drop madly a year from now.

This especially frustrates me when Konami bumps up fun cards that mainly casual players would like to try out like Shard of Greed or Transmodify, and usually wait for their reprint. I overall don't think Secret Rares should be THAT scarce actually.... I love the rarity, but hate the price tags some of them keep. I can't ask them to make crappy secrets since everyone gets mad when they pull one like that. I can't ask them to make competitive cards into secrets because then their price skyrockets way too much. So they should be about equally rare as Ultra Rares..... Or at least I think that....

If the game gets too much like "I can never have nice fun things to try out because they get expensive and I'd rather sell them" then I just turn to my card making side.

One, sorry, but only thing that comes to my mind now is "u mad". Seriously, maybe I play YGO again for like 2 weeks, but I have yet to see myself moan about Exciton. He's good, but Black Rose did the same thing, come on.

Second, it's $100? People don't play more than 1 copy, yes? And you can not play it because he's not essential? [url=http://magiccards.info/ai/en/42.html]Tell me more about how horrible it is.[/url] (That card is a 4-of staple in like half of decks). So yeah, it's expensive, but there are worse cases in all card games.

One, sorry, but only thing that comes to my mind now is "u mad". Seriously, maybe I play YGO again for like 2 weeks, but I have yet to see myself moan about Exciton. He's good, but Black Rose did the same thing, come on.

Second, it's $100? People don't play more than 1 copy, yes? And you can not play it because he's not essential? Tell me more about how horrible it is. (That card is a 4-of staple in like half of decks). So yeah, it's expensive, but there are worse cases in all card games.

black rose dragon wasn't so easy to summon, also it worked only on synchro summon. This crap can nuke everything even if you decide to attack it

Wasn't as easy? Last time I checked, like any deck could get pretty much every Synchro out, there was Plant engine and all the other splashable Tuners. Maybe not AS easy as Exciton, but still. Plus, you want it or not, this is an ASNWER card. It's an answer to overextending. It doesn't warp the entire format around itself. It's not broken. You're just butthurt.

Archived