Secret Anime Exchange: Endless Summer 2014

Agro

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DONE.

Finished just in time.  Now I get to laugh at all the people who are obviously going to show up late. 

If my body wasn't restless as f*ck and prompted several breaks per episode. I'd've covered much more ground during my free time.

I deeply apologies to the person who gifted the anime to me for what I'm about to say.

Air, it might as well have been that. I just couldn't really concentrate on it. Was really boring and I don't know, It just seemed really shallow and cliche. I don't even remember any of the characters names. Ultimately it'll be something I forget. Maybe one day I'll watch it again but for now no. It was better then the anime of "Deadman Wonderland" at least, so that's good.

Deeper thoughts later, but basically, Engaged to the Unidentified was a nice, enjoyable moe slice of life anime that is a bit uneventful which makes it drag a bit and makes it seem shallow. 

My rating would be "adequate."  

Expect a full review (possibly a video) in the next week. 

Also Agro update this shit. 

Alright, might as well.

Ano Tatsu de Matteru was the first suggestion I was given, but I never really got into it. So I asked for another one, which was Squid Girl. This one I enjoyed a lot more, as it perfectly fits my taste in comedy anime. The mood was light, the humor was just the right amount of zany, and it just made me happy watching it.

[spoiler=and there were parts where I was left in tears of adorableness]screen-shot-2011-11-15-at-3-51-55-pm.png

;~;[/spoiler]

8.5/10, and I must apologize for having whomever suggested mine choose another one. Thank you regardless.

Also Agro update this s***.

update what deadline hasn't hit yet

As far as I can tell, the following still need to respond:

Aix
Dae
Greiga
Mitcher
Rapid
syber_sypher, technically, though he already finished his first one, I suppose.
Wildflame
Zai

So, I had to watch Deadman Wonderland. I thought it was boring and too quick. With only thirteen episodes, the entire thing relates around death. Death is literally the only thing that this anime has that was good, but that it because everything was about it. The characters were bland and boring, and the didn't grow at all to have any development. But, they were good killers, because all that happened was people dying. The scenes and abilities were cool, and I thought it would be awesome if they could elaborate on the abilities having meaning for the characters or something. But alas, the only thing that followed was the characters being their abilities and were set in motion to kill people. I do enjoy how the Deadman Wonderland was a carnival and a prison, supporting both the civilians and the prisoners. And the 0 floor for the Deadman with the blood abilities was interest. It was a nice exploitation of the mutations caused, which was hardly even noted because of all of the killing. I think the most interesting part of the anime was the opening. I have to say that the opening was fantastic, and I continue to listen to it. But the characters, Ganta, the twists. It was all common, abrupt and weak. Sure, if you want bloodlust, watch it, but I don't think it is really that fantastic outside of the amount of killings or attempts there are at it.

So, I had to watch Deadman Wonderland. I thought it was boring and too quick. With only thirteen episodes, the entire thing relates around death. Death is literally the only thing that this anime has that was good, but that it because everything was about it. The characters were bland and boring, and the didn't grow at all to have any development. But, they were good killers, because all that happened was people dying. The scenes and abilities were cool, and I thought it would be awesome if they could elaborate on the abilities having meaning for the characters or something. But alas, the only thing that followed was the characters being their abilities and were set in motion to kill people. I do enjoy how the Deadman Wonderland was a carnival and a prison, supporting both the civilians and the prisoners. And the 0 floor for the Deadman with the blood abilities was interest. It was a nice exploitation of the mutations caused, which was hardly even noted because of all of the killing. I think the most interesting part of the anime was the opening. I have to say that the opening was fantastic, and I continue to listen to it. But the characters, Ganta, the twists. It was all common, abrupt and weak. Sure, if you want bloodlust, watch it, but I don't think it is really that fantastic outside of the amount of killings or attempts there are at it.

You'd be better of reading the manga imo

Sooooo, Tsuritama, yeah...

[spoiler=]

Lately, I've been really into slice of life anime. Particularly into the CGDCT (cute girls doing cute things) subgenre. I figured that Tsuritama would be like that, only with guys instead of girls. Well, it kinda was, but it ended up being more than that.

What I mean is, while the first part was rather slow, and focused in establishing (and later developing) the characters, the second half ended up being surprisingly climatic and dramatic. Really didn't expect that. Also, the whole ending part was handled really well. After finishing watching episode 8 I thought "Wow, at this rate they could probably pull off a really satisfying end, without leaving any loose ends". And they did it. They didn't introduce more plot points than the ones they could resolve in 12 episodes, a fault I find in many other series.

About the characters, well..., can't say I was a fan of them right from the start (the only exception being Akira, I mean, how can you not love Indian prince Tomokazu Sugita with a pet duck?). Yuki's over-nervousness, to Natsuki's unnecessarily angsty family issues, and ESPECIALLY Haru's overall annoyingness (is that really the same guy that voiced Astral?) bothered me quite a bit. But what this anime has is genuine character development, so that didn't last long. We can see the characters' growth with the progress of the story, and the results are quite amazing (particularly in Yuki's case).

I liked the focus the show gave to fishing, it made me learn about stuff I didn't knew. The art departmend was quite peculiar, but fitted perfectly with the (relaxed, sometimes silly) atmosphere of the series. Music was great, I've found myself trying to do the Enoshima dance during the OP more than once. The ending theme was also good, very soothing.

So yeah, overall I really enjoyed Tsuritama. 8/10 is my final score for it.

[/spoiler]

tl;dr Sorry for being late.

[spoiler So Steins Gate]

I suck at writing reviews so I'll make this quick. You can PM/Skype me if you want to talk about it more.

I read the manga but when I read it it felt all over the place and a lot of things went over my head. Watching the anime helped me out a lot more and when my friend watched some episodes with me toward the end it helped me appreciate how much they put into this world, or should I say these world lines?

I loved the development all the characters went through, both the what we saw of the background characters like Mr. Braun, Moeka, etc. as well as the lab members 001-004. Especially Okabe and the relationships of the lab members. The time travel was also good and the characters making effort to stay within the rules while also trying different strategies was good to watch. Any time travel story that stays consistent is good, and this was good.

I can't really think of anything else right now (I said I was bad at this) but yeah I give it a would watch again/10.[/spoiler]

Considering it is past the date, although time may have been extended, let me just outright say that while I suggested Steins;Gate, that Air thing was just Agro messing with you.

Well, it could have been my fault but what I meant was for that to be a placeholder until a few hours after that I figured out that yeah, Steins;Gate is a good choice to have to do with summer. When I figured that out I thought I had worded it in a way that it was only supposed to be one but so it is in no way my intention to recommend more than 1 anime despite the episode number you were willing to go up to unless asked for it. But if you did, that was unfortunately all I got.

Huh, did someone watch air when they weren't supposed to?

No, it's just, now that we can say what we gave I'm just saying it wasn't my idea to put a "if you're finished that" thing, since any other times it was just wait until the person asks if they even want another anime. 

Archived