Secret Anime Exchange: Endless Summer 2014

Agro

Yeah, that's fine when you can't get them otherwise. Generally, I'm pretty okay with people getting stuff illegally.

But then they can't argue when I talk down to them about it later :'D

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's fine when you can't get them otherwise. Generally, I'm pretty okay with people getting stuff illegally.

But then they can't argue when I talk down to them about it later :'D

Unless they're the crazy people who talk down to people who do pay.

I know a guy who gave me shit for paying for Netflix. 

He is, but at least he admits it. 

Which is fine. It's when people argue that they aren't dicks for illegally streaming or, let's say, using adblock, that I take issue.

When you're basically stealing because it's more convenient for you, and you use that argument consciously, you can't really argue that you're not being a dick.

I finished my anime. In depth thoughts: Well I am kinda head over heels in love with someone and watching this became something to do while i was waiting to talk to her, so I didn't really pay to much attention : P But I shall do my best. Guilty Crown was a simply amazing anime. The plot was well thought out and executed. At times a bit *cough* sexual, but an amazing story. It made me want to watch it again and again. Whoever gave me this, I applaud you; this could not have been better.  

Sh*t. I forgot about this.

I'll try and watch as much as I can at work tomorrow.

Forgot about this.  I'm gonna watch the thing I got as fast as I can.  Whoever suggested it to me, don't tell me until I'm done. 

The Deadline to finish/review the anime(s) you were given is August 5th so there's still over two weeks left. No need to rush. :)

Yeah, guys, I didn't really want to say anything, but the deadline of the 15th is really just to have everyone with an anime to watch. The only reason I really even let folks know what anime had been chosen for them was to know if they'd seen it already and get it straightened out before the 15th. Idealistically, no one would have started until tomorrow. But anyway, what's done is done. I'll post what everyone's watching in a single post tomorrow.

Okay so I'm probably technically a day late with this but here's what everyone is watching, PM me if you have an issue. Deadlines for finishing the anime and posting about it are in the OP.

Aix will be watching Air, because spelling similarities are important.
CDDRodrigo will be forced to finally watch Free! ...and by that I really mean Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, unfortunately.
D.A. is also watching Air. Variety is key, really.
Dae was given Deadman Wonderland, which is a bit too fitting, really.
Ene will watch Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru if he can remember the name.
Greiga is gonna watch Steins;Gate. And if you finish that, you're going to watch Air. Just letting you know.
Kirito will be watching Angel Beats. I'll send you tissues.
Mitcher will be watching Super Robot Wars Original Generation, as well as FLCL and Ninja Scroll, because he doesn't watch enough anime. Also he prefers the Japanese dub of Baccano to the amazing English one, what's up with that?
Rapid will be watching Mikakunin de Shinkoukei. This could go either way, really.
syber_sypher was given Guilty Crown and apparently already completed it so next, he'll be watching s-Cry-ed.
Tenta is also watching Mikakunin de Shinkoukei. You'll have a lot to talk about, I'm sure.
Thar will be watching Ano Natsu de Matteru. Yeah, I got no color commentary for this one.
Wildflame is watching Tsuritama, and maybe I will too.
Zai will watch Samurai 7, because apparently there actually are mecha shows he hasn't seen.

And I'm apparently also watching Kaiji, finally getting locked into watching Durarara!!, and Air, because something had to make me get past the first episode of that show at some point, right?

Remember if you want to be given something else to watch after finishing, make a post about the show you just finished with your in depth thoughts on it and ask for a new one in the PM convo I sent to each of you.

I'm liking Engaged to the Unidentified so far, although the main premise of the arranged marriage seems like a bit of a contrivance so far, as the little sister character seems to be the center of focus.

Also, I really like, the... um... animation

1389303807523.gif

*cough*

@the point about Baccano: I mean, well, I've never seen one of those mafia flicks or had any familiarity with the Prohibition Era, so the accents and all in dubbed Baccano wasn't really anything to me. Either way, it still ranks as my favorite anime/LN series of all time, so eh.

@Above post's pun: haaaah....*snort* Even I didn't catch on that until you pointed it out.

I hope you realize that Engaged to the Unidentified = Mikakunin de Shinkoukei :3

I didn't look up it's english name. whoops.

Not sure if you missed that pun.

uh, sure. yeah. definitely.

@the point about Baccano: I mean, well, I've never seen one of those mafia flicks or had any familiarity with the Prohibition Era, so the accents and all in dubbed Baccano wasn't really anything to me.

I mean have you watched yugioh?

• 2 weeks later...

Now, let me just say, I'm not sure anything in NouCome makes it a summery fit, besides having not just 1, but 2 episodes set in a pool place, but it didn't mention what time of the year it was. It also snowed. At that time. I tried watching on Crunchyroll but it was screwing up for some reason, so I just accidentally got some kinda bizarre subs. From what little I know of Japanese, I know enough that there were a lot of cases where more normal words would have fit (Scrumdiddlyumptious is usually just delicious), or they were just saying different things, sometimes completely different than what I am sure was supposed to be said (one of the possible choices for an episode title referenced JoJo's Bizarre Adventure where it clearly did not, or was at least not as obvious as that). Not that I know exactly what was said, because I should learn Japanese, but, reading those probably made it a lot funnier than it would have been otherwise. 

Ahem. The characters were typical but were legitimately entertaining, or perhaps it was just those weird subs that I enjoyed, as there were definitely a few moments that were far from natural. I mean, I'm all for being a little, to even quite a lot unrealistic, what anime isn't? It just went outside those barriers a bit too much, sometimes feeling cringy or facepalm worthy to me, because of it. Utage is, however, being added to my list of now three awesome loliadult teachers. I give it a 6/10, but that still may just be the strange as hell fansubs.

First thing's first: 45 minute episodes can be very tiring. Especially when the real action of the show starts only on episode 7.

But overall, I enjoyed Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari. The characters are well designed, well executed, and well developed. Masaki Kenish, the protagonist, isn't annoying or cocky about his super powers. But I feel like a lot of the plot wasn't explained very well. I gotta say though, the fanservice is top notch. Not excessive, not too little. In the perfect amount, I would say. What really irked me though...

[spoiler="Spoiler"]...was the ending, where Kenshi defeated Babalum just because Chiaia pushed him when she mentioned the crystals. It just didn't feel right as the end of the boss fight. It felt very forced and fake.[/spoiler]

MyAnimeList has this show in the top 300, and I don't really know why. I'll have to give it a 7/10.

My god where do I start with Angel Beats. It's one of the best anime I've watched over the past few months. Yet, there are some major flaws i. The anime that really irked me throughout it's 13 episodes.
[spoiler= Spoilers Ahead, Open If You Wish]
First off, the protagonist is as bland as can be. When I first saw him, he kinda sorta reminded me of Kirito from SAO. When I say bland, there is absolutely no character development happening at all. Actually, there is no major development within the huge cast at all. Yet the thing I liked about it was that the director managed to give the character their own spotlight and I really enjoyed that.
Another thing that irked me was that most of the plot was just lazy. There was originally supposed to be like, 26 episodes right? Well due to budget cuts, we're stuck with the minimal 13 episodes with major plot holes. I was disappointed in Kishi for that. Now, on the more positive side, I did cry a little when some of the characters passed away, especially at the end of the series. Also, I couldn't decide who was cuter, Yui or Kanade( Angel). But to be honest, Air and Clannad made me cry more than this. Other than those flaws, the animation was good and the soundtrack was phenomenal.
[/spoiler]
Even though this anime had it's major flaws, it was still a great anime.
OVERALL RATING: 8/10

[spoiler= Spoilers Ahead, Open If You Wish]
First off, the protagonist is as bland as can be. When I first saw him, he kinda sorta reminded me of Kirito from SAO. When I say bland, there is absolutely no character development happening at all. Actually, there is no major development within the huge cast at all. Yet the thing I liked about it was that the director managed to give the character their own spotlight and I really enjoyed that.
Another thing that irked me was that most of the plot was just lazy. There was originally supposed to be like, 26 episodes right? Well due to budget cuts, we're stuck with the minimal 13 episodes with major plot holes. I was disappointed in Kishi for that. Now, on the more positive side, I did cry a little when some of the characters passed away, especially at the end of the series. Also, I couldn't decide who was cuter, Yui or Kanade( Angel). But to be honest, Air and Clannad made me cry more than this. Other than those flaws, the animation was good and the soundtrack was phenomenal.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Response to spoiler]I agree with the lack of development, but in my opinion, character spotlight is a great supplement, especially in a 13 episode series.

The parts that got me choked up were Yuzuru's death (the set-up was just plain HEAVY. His only purpose was to watch his sister, and to think he was just barely short of living long enough to be rescued from the cave-in. Such a sad way to go) and Kanade passing on (honestly, I never cared for Kanade. She has less personality than Yuzuru, and her intriguing antagonistic character become pointless when the shadow creatures attacked. I only got choked up because the moment was timed PERFECTLY. JUST short of satisfaction. Enough to yell "KISS HER BEFORE SHE GOES." It was just so unfair, but it made the show stand out to me.[/spoiler]

Glad you enjoyed it, though.

I should get to finishing Squid Girl while time is ticking along.

Archived