[MtG] Hatebears

Simping For Hina

So, the only formats I play are Legacy and EDH, and I know you are a modern guy and I can only assume you would design as such, so I will likely miss the forest for the trees. Just a warning.

First off, these are both Skullclamp targets. That increases their usability in EDH by a ton, but since skullclamp is banned in modern, I can only assume the toughness of 1 is there as a downside to increase their vulnerability to Electrolyze.

The assassin feels like it would be freaking sweet in some form of RDW build, as they don't particularly care about their own life total and have very little card draw, if any. Speaking of which, why is it not an assassin? It is an established subtype that even has support, so it is odd that you would not use it. The flavor text is brilliant, pretty much sticking its tongue out at control players.

Volante Transcendent feels like it could go great in death&taxes for either legacy OR modern, able to ruin strip mine, bazaar (gg, manaless ichorid :(...), and any manland that is popular in modern control builds. Oh. Wow. It stops fetches. Holy crap. This card is really, really good.

tl;dr the assassin that isn't an assassin is pretty cool, but the rebel is mindblowingly good and would be welcome in the current eternal formats.

The Transcendent seems like an amazing modern card. Really powerful in the format, but perfectly fair in standard. Thats just a really good design. 

The Assassin feel a bit like Sulfuric Vortex. Seems like a great anti-control card for standard, though I'm not sure how it will fair in modern since Red decks have a fair bit of competition at the 2 slot, but I feel like it could make it. 

Can't speak for legacy. Regardless, both are very nice cards. 

So, the only formats I play are Legacy and EDH, and I know you are a modern guy and I can only assume you would design as such, so I will likely miss the forest for the trees. Just a warning.

First off, these are both Skullclamp targets. That increases their usability in EDH by a ton, but since skullclamp is banned in modern, I can only assume the toughness of 1 is there as a downside to increase their vulnerability to Electrolyze.

The assassin feels like it would be freaking sweet in some form of RDW build, as they don't particularly care about their own life total and have very little card draw, if any. Speaking of which, why is it not an assassin? It is an established subtype that even has support, so it is odd that you would not use it. The flavor text is brilliant, pretty much sticking its tongue out at control players.

Volante Transcendent feels like it could go great in death&taxes for either legacy OR modern, able to ruin strip mine, bazaar (gg, manaless ichorid :(...), and any manland that is popular in modern control builds. Oh. Wow. It stops fetches. Holy crap. This card is really, really good.

tl;dr the assassin that isn't an assassin is pretty cool, but the rebel is mindblowingly good and would be welcome in the current eternal formats.

I could change it to assassin, I just forgot it was accepted. Yes, as a modern player, I made these more set for eternal and non-rotating formats, but they aren't cards that will be demeaning to a Standard format either. Volante Transcendant might seen play in Death&Taxes, but I can't see it having anymore than a 2-of since Death&Taxes play a heavy roll with Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge in Modern, helping to make it viable. It also loses Horizon Canopy in GW. Legacy isn't my roll, but these would be more open to here things from people who play it more.

The Transcendent seems like an amazing modern card. Really powerful in the format, but perfectly fair in standard. Thats just a really good design. 

The Assassin feel a bit like Sulfuric Vortex. Seems like a great anti-control card for standard, though I'm not sure how it will fair in modern since Red decks have a fair bit of competition at the 2 slot, but I feel like it could make it. 

Can't speak for legacy. Regardless, both are very nice cards. 

Thank you.

The Assassin, in Modern, would play a big roll of taking space away from Eidolon of the Great Revel, which is the card that is making Burn more viable in the format at the moment. Flamesharp would likely stay sideboard against Control, anything with blue or side in against Thoughtseize Affinity, but it doesn't hit every deck and just becomes a reusable shock each turn. It would be better if there was a card like Brainstorm or other one drop that would see play in any Blue deck in modern.

Flamesharp in Nekusar Deck = ?!!

Better yet, Flamesharp + Kederekt Parasite = ??!!!

I'm also interested in the program you use to create these cards with the fancy new borders.

Nekusar was be hilarious with this card, and have more fun with Skullclamp in the deck to make use of it when it is doing almost nothing. It is a nice utility card that stops a lot of type of decks while getting the biggest advantage in Nekusar by making everyone else draw cards.

I used Photoshop, but there is Magic Set Editor that has the same border.

These cards are amazing.

Only thing that irks me a bit is that Volante doesn't do anything against Tron, but Tron has a lot of hate already in the hatebears deck.

These cards are perfect for Modern. Not too oppressive, not too broken. And they don't seem to be bad for Standard either, unless Volante was included in a Zendikar format.

These cards are amazing.

Only thing that irks me a bit is that Volante doesn't do anything against Tron, but Tron has a lot of hate already in the hatebears deck.

These cards are perfect for Modern. Not too oppressive, not too broken. And they don't seem to be bad for Standard either, unless Volante was included in a Zendikar format.

Oh hell, Volante in a Lands Matter set would screw things over. And Tron is an annoying deck because you can't hit everything it does, but Hatebears are good because it has White, which is one of the best colors to fight it! 

But thank you.

Archived