Keywords

Even though bouncing would be cool, I'd prefer not to.
What's great about this game is that it's intuitive. Everything is written in English, other TCG have become ridiculous with their wording.
like "give this card +2/+1",  . . . the hell?

You haven't played mtg, have you? +2/+1 is a VERY simple concept, even if you have the most vague grasp of the game's rules...

Anyway, I just noticed the use of the term "deficit" in multiple cards (soul drain dragon, that DDD support card). What is everyone's opinion on this new almost-keyword kinda term?

What's great about this game is that it's intuitive. Everything is written in English, other TCG have become ridiculous with their wording.

"this card gains 2 ATK and 1 DEF" 

Well, its not actually DEF in MTG but the monster's Life Points sort of speak, but the concept is still very simple.

I personally think MTG is pretty spot on when it comes to wording. Yugioh sometimes gets too caught up in using its own "correct game grammar" and its mostly cool and all, but it sometimes becomes a nuisance. It can forget that there is more vocabulary out there that would shorten an effect and make it sound really simple with some common sense, but it NEEDS to elaborate a wall of text into explaining it through commonly used protocol. Not sure if I explain myself.

MTG just makes it short and sweet. If you don't understand that line, its probably out of lack of experience with MTG as a game I suppose, since I can see how just +#/+# without adding what each number means like Yugioh's ATK/DEF could be off putting. Though once you start playing the game, its so common that there's no problem at all.

Actually, all MTG terms have that be the case. I used to also be like "but you need to memorize a bunch of terms in order to even play". Though that's not true.

First, MTG will give you what does terms mean pretty much anywhere available to you. I've seen it in the rulebooks (obviously). On the side printed in the game mats that come from starter decks, I've had ones that have a listing of all the terms they could fit and their definition.

When you buy a booster pack, there's always an extra card of something: Sometimes a token card, sometimes a link to the official we page, sometimes tips iirc.

Most importantly, most of the cards that even use said terms will usually downright write it down in the card itself. The exception is cards that really need to save space or some "advanced" booster versions.

Even if it wasn't, the terms are pretty self-explanatory sometimes, or they try to be. What you used (+2/+1) is not really a key word example. It'd be more like:
Deathtouch: It kills with a touch. Pretty self explanatory. In MTG monsters have their own life that dictates if they'll survive the battle that turn regardless of ATK strength, A creature with Deathtouch essentially will destroy any monster it damages regardless of its life.

Fly: It means its too high up for you to block it (using a more role-playing-like logic) and so you need creatures with the keyword "Fly" to even the ground against them, or "Reach" which as it implies, it is creatures that can reach flying creatures, though they are not fliers themselves. I personally think this is a great term. If Yugioh had a word for monsters that can attack directly, it'd probably be a generalized idea that it wouldn't work while you had your own, which they tried to do it with "Your Toon monster cannot attack directly if your opponent has a Toon too", but that one sucked because it pretty much relied on a tight and unstable single archetype playing against a mirror match, instead of being out there for all cards to enjoy back when the game could use something that slow.

I could see Yugioh having trouble implementing keywords though, because I really doubt Konami would put all that much effort into helping out with definitions and stuff.

Sooo in short, please take my word that MTG terms are actually much easier than it'd initially look like, and plus advantages I mentioned in my previous post about using them, it would really not be nearly as bad as you'd think if they do it correctly xP

• 2 weeks later...

In a game where creatures (no other card types have that clause applied to them) have power and toughness separated by a forward slash (/), I fail to see how "it gets +2/+1" is not intuitive, unless you've haven't played the game very long.

Also, I wouldn't calling YGO text "intuitive"; I prefer to call it "I have to explain what I do in enough detail for you to understand what I'm actually doing while sacrificing a substantial amount of text-box space at times."

unless it can effeciently explain long mechanic that present in many card (like piercing or excavate) i dont think they should implement any more keyword, since it will make the game more complicated, and i cant find any mechanic left that suitable for using keyword  so...i think no more keyword is necessary

"Gemini: {effect the card obtains}"

Is about the last one. It would compress the following into a single word:

"This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the

field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field,

you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster

with this effect:"

and that would leave MUCH more room for Geminis to have even more powerful effects while remaining legible.

Archived