MTG CCG 2: Electric Boogaloo [Working on Kamigawa 2.0!]

CLG Klavier

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it may kinda early to post cards examples BUT..I might do so just this time to allow me to explain well, some interesting mechanic I was wanting to introduce here.

Random Human Trainee (CMC 1)

Creature - Human

As long as RHT is a Samurai it gain Bushido (Number) (And gains X,Y,Z, or whatever ability).

Cost: RHT becomes a Samurai

1/1

Now see, this seems pretty fun with the idea of having a conflict picking sides...call it Gaining a Title...so when you side with one side you get benefits and stuff from it. 

Course this mechanic can make random Dudes become othere classes (There are a bunch of Monks in Kamaigawa for example) and this would work harder for Ninjas, BUT...that might be because it is harder to become one?

It also however implies that there are neutral factions on the plane. Which there aren't. Otherwise, you want it flavourfully to represent training a creature. If so, just bring back level up. That has a lot of untapped design space.

Well considering that it is a Ninja vs Samurai matters set, and there are plenty of other "tribes" in Kamigawa, you can consider all of those as Neutral. Most likely coz this is an isolated conflict between 2 factions more than a Plane Level threat.

(It also draws some design space for an expantion on this theme in future sets where we can keep checking other sides of the plane too)

There aren't many other tribes on Kamigawa though. And of the few that are, how of those are going to be creatures that will turn into a Samurai or Ninja? It's a very specific piece of flavour that shouldn't appear on more than two cards at maximum. Otherwise, we're going to end up with about 10 generic Samurai trainees, and 10 generic Ninja trainees.

There aren't many other tribes on Kamigawa though. And of the few that are, how of those are going to be creatures that will turn into a Samurai or Ninja? It's a very specific piece of flavour that shouldn't appear on more than two cards at maximum. Otherwise, we're going to end up with about 10 generic Samurai trainees, and 10 generic Ninja trainees.

I never said this thing was limited to Samurais and Ninjas

There are Shamans, Warriors, Wizards, Monks, heck you can even put that thing into a Beast and turn it into a Spirit Beast with that...there is a lot of space to use it for.

And of course...a nice 1 Class per Color (With maybe a few oddballs like Beast to Spirit and/or Regular dude into Legendary Status) is more than enough to showcase it.

Too memory-intensive. If you start branching out into lots of different classes, that's some serious bookkeeping you're having to do. Even two types of classes to remember require two types of counter already: you've suggested a theoretical 7 at the moment. The good thing about Monstrosity was that it piggybacked off of +1/+1 counters; for all of its' fancy lingo about monstrous things, it was essentially a +1/+1 counter lord mechanic.

The other thing is that this is all achievable using Level up much more elegantly.

Archived