[Finished]Contest - Warrior Soul [Finished]

Darj

With my previous contest now finished, I'm feeling like starting another one. This contest is inspired from "Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand" and the "Monster Hunter" game series.

Requirement

Make a Warrior-Type Xyz version of a monster that resembles an animal, beast, dragon, etc. Basically, this time now you make a Felgrand Knight.

Deadline
December 17th.

[spoiler=Rules]

1. Regular YCM Rules apply.

2. The card must be a Warrior-Type monster based on an existing monster that resembles an animal (beast, insects, dragons, etc.). This means that most Beast, Dragon, Insect, Sea Serpent, Reptile, Winged Beast, Dinosaur and Fish-Type monsters are candidates.

2.1 You cannot pick monsters that resemble humans, demons or angels, or are anthropomorphic or intangible. This includes most Aqua, Pyro, Rock, Fairy, Machine, Thunder, Psychic, Zombie, Spellcaster, Plant, Wyrm and Fiend-Type monsters, and of course Beast-Warrior and Warrior-Type monsters.

Exception: You can pick a monster with any of the above types if it resembles an animal (e.g. Grapha, Berserk Dragon, Megarock Dragon)

2.2 To put it simply, if you can picture a warrior or knight wearing an armor that resembles the monster, then you are good to go.

2.3 The original monster must be Level 7~8, and a Normal or Effect Monster (no Synchros, Fusions, etc.).

2.4. The Xyz monster must have the same Attribute and Rank as the original monster.
2.5. Its original ATK/DEF cannot be higher than the ATK/DEF of the original monster (however, it can become higher through a built-in effect).

2.6. For practical purposes, it must require 2 Xyz Materials. Any more materials and the card may end with the "awesome but impractical" syndrome.
2.7. Adding flavorful effect(s) or traits that make a reference to the original monster is encouraged.
2.8. Alternate summoning conditions such as "Xyz-evolving" are allowed, but should come with fair restrictions (e.g. Ptolemy, Downerd). You can take advantage of this to add flavor to the card.

3. Entries must be your own.

4. Write the card text under the card so it is easier to read.

5. Written Cards are allowed. When submitting written cards you have to include a short description of the artwork or appearance of the monster (how does it looks like, what changed compared to the original monster, etc.)

6. Check over your card before submitting it (OCG/grammar, card stats/effect), or you may get less points if it has a lot of mistakes.

7. No awkward ATK/DEF values such as XX30 or XX10.[/spoiler]

Entry fee: 50 points (will go to the pot)

Prizes
1st -  50% of the pot + 1 rep
2nd - 30% of the pot
3rd - 15% of the pot

Pot: 1700
(Donations accepted. Thanks to Noel for your donations.)

Participants

(This time I will only accept a maximum of 10 participants)

1. DivineDragonKnight

2. Bloorock

3. Nobility

4. Dom

5. Noel

6. HateSnatchSteal

Judges
1.Voltex

Accepting up to 2 judges. If you are interested, PM me your grading criteria. You must have passed the Judge Exam.

Grading Criteria

Creativity and Flavor won't have an stronger impact this time.

[spoiler=]

Balance and Design [20] - The card has a good effect without being broken, suitable ATK/DEF for its Level/Rank and kinds of materials (generic or non-generic) required, etc.
Creativity and Flavor [15] - The effect is unique or underused, has an appropriate or clever name, has traits (effects, ATK/DEF) that make references to the original monster, etc.
OCG [10] - Few or no mistakes in spelling and official card grammar.
Theme [5] - Follow the requirements of the card. (Warrior-Type monster based on an animal or beast-like monster)[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Black Flame Warrior]

YFriRBF.jpg

2 Level 8 monsters
While this card has at least 1 Xyz Material attached to it, your opponent cannot activate Spell Cards. During your opponent's End Phase: detach 1 Xyz Material from this card.

Base monster: Horus, the Black Flame Dragon LVL8

[/spoiler]

Points are sent.

Edit #1: Slight grammar correction.

[spoiler=Previous lore]

2 Level 8 monsters
While this card has least 1 Xyz Material attached to it, your opponent cannot activate Spell Cards. During your opponent's End Phase, detach 1 Xyz Material from this card.

[/spoiler]

Points sent

[spoiler=card]

qUtPcpW.jpg

Based on Red-Eyes

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lore]

2 or more Level 7 Dragon-Type monsters (max. 5)
During your End Phase: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card. If this card has no Xyz Material, destroy it during your opponent's End Phase. This card gains effects based on the number of Xyz Materials attached to it.
- 2 or more: Once per turn, Dragon-Type monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle.
- 3 or more: Dragon-Type monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF.
- 4 or more: Dragon-Type monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects.
- 5 or more: Dragon-Type monsters you control can attack your opponent directly.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=reason]

Making it take level 7 dragons was originally meant to be for red-eyes, but I realized about halfway through making it that this card actually provides pretty decent Ele-Dragon support, but I do not think that it makes them any more OP then they already are seen to be. This card would allow them to go for straight attack plays rather than xyz->pop,xyz->pop. etc. The reason I made it able to have up to 5 materials is because before I realized about the Ele-Dragon support I was thinking about putting it into a pendulum deck running 3x of both magicians and 3x odd-eyes providing a fairly reliable way to get him out on the field with at least 3 materials. The reason for the detach 1 at EP is so that if you get him out with 5 mats all your dragons can't permanently attack directly. I wasn't really sure about the wording for destroying it when it has no xyz materials since I couldn't find a card with that effect anywhere so I'm sorry if that is wrong, and it destroys on opps EP so that he can be a bit of a shield right before he dies. Anyways, hope I win because I am out of points entirely.

[/spoiler]

@Nobility: Problem with Cthugha is that is not Level 7~8 and not a Normal/Effect Monster. It would be acceptable otherwise because, indeed, it looks like it has a solid body.

Actually, it also needs 3 materials, when one of the rules is to keep the entries at 2 materials.

I see that you worked on the flavor, but unfortunately I can't accept this entry.

@Nobility: Problem with Cthugha is that is not Level 7~8 and not a Normal/Effect Monster. It would be acceptable otherwise because, indeed, it looks like it has a solid body.

Actually, it also needs 3 materials, when one of the rules is to keep the entries at 2 materials.

I see that you worked on the flavor, but unfortunately I can't accept this entry.

Oh dear. I broke a few rules there, huh. I'm sorry.

Changing it.

[spoiler='Entry']

HZ7DVwj.jpg

2 Level 7 monsters

While this card has an Xyz Material attached that was originally Wyrm-Type, it is unaffected by other card effects. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card on the field or in either player's Graveyard; banish it. If you activated this effect, this card cannot attack for the rest of this turn.

Based on MAD

[/spoiler]

mX8nJVF.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']2 Level 8 DARK Monsters

Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a Spell/Trap Card, or monster effect is activated: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; send 1 Counter Trap Card from your hand or  Deck to the Graveyard to negate that activation. A card negated by this card's effect is treated as if it was negated by a Counter Trap Card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Function']It stops devastating combos and lets you summon Van'dalgyon the Dark Dragon Lord. Because Level 8s are usually a huge investment, I think that plays a big balancing factor for this card and not to mention one has to run Counter Traps to activate this card's effect.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Playability']This card will enhance DARK decks in general, giving them another option as a go-to boss monster. Decks that can easily summon this are:

• Dark World
  • Archfiend
  • DARK-centric decks (with The Dark Creator)
  • Gimmick Puppet
  • Skill Drain

It fights for its own slot by having the powerful effect of negation and is specific to only DARK monsters to prevent abuse from Level 8 spam decks.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Flavor']

• True to this card's name, it brings out Van'dalgyon the Dark Dragon Lord.
  • It relates to Counter Traps and negation just like its Dragon-Type counterpart.
  • ATK, DEF, and Attribute are identical to Van'dalgyon the Dark Dragon Lord.
  • The color scheme of the picture is similar to Van'dalgyon the Dark Dragon Lord's color scheme.
  • The warrior depicted is holding Dragon Swords.[/spoiler]

Based on Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon:

En0sJDt.jpg

2 Level 8 monsters
During either player's turn, once per turn: You can detach 1 xyz material from this card, then target 1 face-up monster on the field; banish that target face-up and if you banished a monster that had xyz material, this card gains 500 ATK for each xyz material that monster had. During the End Phase: special summon any monster banished this way to its owner's side of the field.

Rulings note:

During the End Phase: special summon any monster banished this way to its owner's side of the field. applies even if Galaxy-Eyes Photon Paladin isn't on the field then ect.

Entry fee sent

This was the best art I could find for GEPD, hopefully its ok

Sorry for the last minute delay! I ALREADY DONATED 50 POINTS TO YOU. This card is based off Red Nova Dragon. Here's my entry:

">http://sU17eMd.jpg

Lore:

2 Level 8 monsters

Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can detach 1 Xyz material to activate one of the following effects:
- This card gains 500 ATK for each Tuner monster in your graveyard until the End Phase of this turn.
- It cannot be destroyed this turn by an opponent's card effects.
- When an opponent's monster declares an attack, you can target the attacking monster; banish this card, and if you do, negate that attack. During the next End Phase: Special Summon this card banished by this effect.

Red Nova, a Level 12 Synchro Monster?

Ah, you are right. For some reason I thought it was based on Red Dragon Archfiend. But even then, that's a Synchro Monster.

So, the card needs to be changed. If it is not updated by tomorrow, I will just refund the points.

What needs to be changed, otherwise, never mind then! I won't enter! Sorry for the inconvenience! Thanks! I don't have time to change it by tomorrow morning because of school! Unless I could change it by tomorrow evening after 3:30 pm? But anyway, thanks!

Sure, you can change it by tomorrow.

And you need to change the original monster.

Said monster must be a Level 7~8 Normal or Effect Monster (not Synchro, Fusion, Xyz, Ritual, or Pendulum) with the appearance of an animal, beast, monster, etc.

Double post to announce that I'm done with the grades.

Before distributing the points, I will give 2 days for discussing the grades or fixing anything I may have overlooked.

Current standings:

1st: Noel - 50 points

2nd: Dragonknight - 45 points

3rd: Nobility - 40 points

[spoiler=Scores]

Black Flame Warrior
Balance and Design: 15 - A 2-turn Spell lock that is only available to decks that can make Rank8s. I have mixed feelings toward this because once you drop it, basically it will say "good game" to Spell-based decks; although it remains vulnerable to monsters and Traps. Decks that can make Rank8s usually have no problems with making them so it's not like going for this would be situational. The duration of 2 turns fells fair, though: any less and it would be too weak, and any more may end up as an overkill.
Creativity and Flavor: 15 - Couldn't find anything wrong here. Its original form locks Spells and this does so as well; also the effect is quite refreshing because instead of detaching to activate its effect as usual, it takes tips from Ophion and "Rhongobongo" and works the other way around: it applies the effect until it loses its materials.
OCG: 10
Theme: 5
Total: 45

Red Eyes B. Soldier
Balance and Design 7 - Another take on Rhongobongo, but more difficult to drop. This needs at least 4 mats to be reliable, otherwise it is merely 2800-ATK beater that aids dragons but not itself. The 5-mat effect is devastating... if you manage to drop this AND a couple of big dragons to attack directly with. This feels like a "awesome but impractical" card that needs a lot of set-up to work properly.

Creativity and Flavor: 12 - As it stands, this card feels like it is more related to Dragon Rulers than Red Eyes. Yes, Red Eyes is a Normal monster so there is no effect to directly take inspiration from, but it has other Effect Monster counterparts, and two have Special Summoning effects; perhaps it would have been more flavorful if this Special Summoned Dragons or something.
Total: 34

Metaphys Valkyria
Balance and Design 20 - This card is beautiful. Awesome artwork and the effect looks good and fair. Sure, banishing is a potent effect, but feels like a fair reward for a Rank8, who most come with incredible effects (e.g. Felgrand); plus is it balanced by the no-attacking clause. The protection effect is more of icing on the cake that rewards you for jumping through hoops to use Metaphys Armed Dragon, Yazi, etc. as material, or shift Levels.
Creativity and Flavor 15 - Like Red-Eyes, MAD doesn't have any effect, but its counterparts do, and they destroy cards. This takes the effect to the next level by banising cards instead, which reflects Valkyria being stronger than MAD.
Total: 50

Harbringer of Van'Dalgyon
Balance and Design: 10 - I understand that this is only playable in decks that drop Level8 DARKs, which are a few but still, a card that negates pretty much anything OPT and during either player's turn, at the "cost" of maining a few Counter Traps, takes it too far in my opinion. Just thinking in this backing DWs/Graphas up makes me shudder. And the ability of enabling Van'Dalgyon summons looks like an overkill.
Creativity and Flavor: 15 - Flavor is good though. Has a negation effect that reflect's Vandalgyon interaction with Counter Traps.
Total: 40

Galaxy-Eyes Photon Paladin
Balance and Design: 10 - This feels kinda weak. 2500 ATK is low for a Rank8; to be fair, it potentially gets an ATK boost, but only works when banishing Xyzs so is it not too reliable. Also, temporarily banishing a monster is not that potent either. Being a Quick Effect is a nice perk, but since it can only banish twice it looks less appealing.
Creativity and Flavor: 7 - It didn't do well in flavor either. the Effect is basically a copy/paste of GEPD except is faster and a Quick Effect. Plus GEPD already has a couple of Rank8 counterparts, which in a way make this card feel less original.
Total: 32[/spoiler]

Archived