[YDF] Yugioh Designer Format - Phase 3 - Set 1 Card Creation

-Griffin

I have added an only one restriction, so there is no way to allow you to lich lord into another copy. I have also added the specail summon restrict. Not sure on the point of restricting a card that is at it's strongest in dragon/zombie decks to dragon/zombie decks. Also added revial as zombies as I like the flavor and dragon do seems like the can abuse easy acess to large monsters(though we are yet to see what zombies can do:)). I assume this way, this would overright multi-gene. I also add a condition to prevent any loops. I believe the ways it's worded, it will apply even if the lich lord leaves and is resummoned.

Wyvern Lich Lord
Dark Zombie Lvl 8
2400 Atk 3000 Def
You can only control 1 face-up "Wyvern Lich Lord". This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card is always also treated as a Dragon. You can Normal Summon monsters from your Graveyard. Monsters summoned by this effect are treated as Zombies instead of their original type and cannot be any treated as any other type though effects. You can only Normal Summon a monster with the effect of "Wyvern Lich Lord" once per turn. 

Tried to fix the wording slightly; I'm no expert but I think it reads a bit better now. I also let it Normal Summon any type of monster, because compare it to The Creator. Not requiring a discard, compared to using your Normal Summon for the turn and requiring tributes for big guys. I think that's fairly even. How does this work if you try to Normal Summon an XYZ, Synchro, Fusion? Can it? I'd accept this if you're happy with the changes.

Swarm is Restricted in summoning now. Also name change.

Toxic Swarm
Earth Insect Lvl 6
1000 Atk 1000 DefCard Suggestion:
Cannot be Special Summoned. Cannot be Tribute summoned except by tributing Insect-type monsters.
This card cannot be used as Material for a Tribute,Synchro or Ritual Summon.
You take no battle damage from battles involving this card. When this card battles an opponent's monsters, Sunder that monster equal to this card's current attack.
When this card is Normal Summoned. Special Summon up to 2 "Swarm Tokens" (Insect-Type/Earth/Level 5/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). They have "This card cannot used as Material for a Tribute,Synchro or Ritual Summon. You takes no battle damage from battles involving this card. When this card battles an opponent's monsters, Sunder that monster equal to this card's current attack."

I'm iffy on this one. We have what, 4 or 5 Insects? That's not enough for cards that require them. I don't think it really needed the restriction, honestly. Maybe make the tokens it summons level 3 or 4 so they're easier to remove? This is a card whose power level is really hard to judge.

With the wyvern, I would like it to be an themetic boss for dragons/zombies, so I would like the summoning to remain type specific. I feel the gained support from the dragons and to a less extent from the zombies might be significaent to it, as thunder has no graveyard or big summons relevent, and probably won't gain much. Maybe make it special summonable by dragons/zombies?

With Toxic Swarm, if feel like if the problem is the enviroment it's being launched into is the problem and the set is nearly full, maybe the answer is to postpone it until we get to the set that kicks off insects as a proper type, as I assume will be done for all the types(like how this set focused on dragon/warriors/feinds). Also this would allow for a more accurate assesment of the format.

Will we be allowed to propose changes to released cards, should they come up short/break the format? Would be a nice way to avoid a large banlist.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All types/attributes will get this treatment eventually. Spellcasters are going to be in the next set, and I'll let other people on here pick the other two. 

The current plan is that we can change accepted cards in the set currently being worked on and the previous set. Once we're working on the 3rd set, the 1st set is going to be pretty set in stone and only change if something seriously out of balance is found that we somehow missed. 

I added the most recent version of Clockwork Levithan in the interest of filling the set up, along with a bunch of the other recent cards that received any accepts without rejects. Things are slowing a little now that there aren't as many spaces to fill. 

Here's two more cards, one for a remaining high-level monster and one for the last any slot:

Card Suggestion:

Original Purpose

Quick-Play Spell

Cannot be activated during the Battle Phase if it targets an opponent's monster. Target 1 monster and select 1 of the following effects:

1) The targeted monster's ATK becomes its original ATK.

2) The targeted monster's level becomes its original level. 

3) The targeted monster's Battle Position cannot be changed until the next Standby Phase.

So, this is designed to be a fun disruptive card that also works as a safety measure against Book of Moon and the Clown Control cards I added. Has the no-battle-phase thing to avoid making people suicide when they try to use Equip Spells for ATK. Can still be activated when someone declares they're ending their Main Phase. 

Card Suggestion:

Cult Council of the Devourer

DARK/Spellcaster/Effect/Level 7

1700/2400

Can be Normal Summoned in face-up Defense Position. When this card is Normal Summoned: pay a multiple of 100 Life Points (max 3500), such that you remain at 8000 or more Life Points. If you had 8000 or less Life Points, pay 0. Special Summon a "Great Devourer" token (DARK/Fiend/Effect/Level 9/?/2500) with an attack equal to the amount of Life Points paid. During either player's turn, when a card targets a "Great Devourer" token, you can tribute this card to negate that effect.

It's basically the boss monster for healing Decks. A up-to 3500 ATK beater with a one-time target defense that can be played around by targeting the Council first. Note: If you have 8000 or less Life Points, you still get the 2500 DEF wall which is level 9 for Crush power. Just 0 ATK.

I don't know which previous cards already got their double Accept so I will comment on the most recent ones for now:

Corrupted Griffon

Feels like it is vulnerable to abuse by bouncing re-usable cards that remain on the field, such as TCG Fiendish Chain, Call of Haunted, etc. and THEN it can disrupt the opponent's field by banishing a card temporarily. Recycling a ard of yours should be good enough, but this goes 1 step further.

Original Purpose

I like it. Restores attacks, removes sunder effects, counters Position switching and as Quick-Play is can be played offensively by restoring a monster's ATK when it is attacked by a monster. Accepting it.

Cult Council of the Devourer

A bit gimmicky but still fair in my opinion. At first I thought that even without paying LP you could easily get a 2500-DEF wall, but then I realized it will usually require 2 Tributes, which should make things fair. Accepting it.

Seeing that we still have 1 any? spot left.

Card Suggestion

Tamed Agile Dragon

WIND/Dragon/Effect/Level 3

1200/700

If you control a Warrior-Type or Beast-Warrior-Type monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon "Tamed Agile Dragon" once per turn this way. You can target 1 Level 4 or lower monster you control; equip this face-up monster to that target. It gains 600 ATK, also it can attack your opponent directly. When the equipped monster is targeted for an attack or by a card effect: You can send this card to the Graveyard; negate that attack or effect.

Also a support Spell for LIGHT.

Holy Pillar

Continuous Spell

Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up LIGHT monster you control; it gains 700 ATK until the end of this turn, then you gain 700 Life Points. If you have 10000 or more Life Points: You can pay 2000 Life Points and send this face-up card to the Graveyard; Special Summon 1 LIGHT monster from your hand or Graveyard. You can only control 1 "Holy Pillar".

@Tamed Agile:

I'm worried this is a bit too 'free' to Summon. I'm also never a huge fan of attacking directly, but this one probably isn't horrific here, and the whole concept might get less dangerous with the format's LP gain. This card just seems to do a lot at little cost.

@Holy:

I like the idea, but I think 700 might be a bit much - it generally means a L4 kills a L6 and survives, and a L6 kills a L8 and survives. Maybe 500 would be a good number?

@Tamed Agile:

I'm worried this is a bit too 'free' to Summon. I'm also never a huge fan of attacking directly, but this one probably isn't horrific here, and the whole concept might get less dangerous with the format's LP gain. This card just seems to do a lot at little cost.

What if I have it Target and Sunder 1 Warrior/B-W you control by that exact 600 before SS itself?

[spoiler='Like this']

Tamed Agile Dragon

1200/700

You can target 1 face-up Warrior-Type or Beast-Warrior-Type monster you control; Special Summon this card from your hand, then Sunder that target by 600. You can only Special Summon "Tamed Agile Dragon" once per turn this way. You can target 1 Level 4 or lower monster you control; equip this face-up monster to that target. It gains 600 ATK, also it can attack your opponent directly. When the equipped monster is targeted for an attack or by a card effect: You can send this card to the Graveyard; negate that attack or effect.

[/spoiler]

@Holy:

I like the idea, but I think 700 might be a bit much - it generally means a L4 kills a L6 and survives, and a L6 kills a L8 and survives. Maybe 500 would be a good number?

Alright, but should I change LP gain to 500 so that it fit the boost? or is 700 already good?

Card suggestion:

Sunderstorm

Field Spell Card

If a LIGHT monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned: Sunder all non-LIGHT monsters on the field by 200. (This ATK/DEF loss remains even if this card leaves the field.) If this card on the field is sent to the Graveyard: Return all face-up LIGHT monsters on the field to the hand. 

Card suggestion:

Neko Mane Queen

Earth Beast/Xyz/Effect - Rank 1

0 ATK/0 DEF

2 Level 1 monsters

This card cannot be destroyed by battle. After damage calculation, when this Defense Position monster battles a monster: Change this card to Attack Position, and if you do, this card gains 1000 ATK. During your turn (except during the End Phase), when this card in your possession is sent to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect: It becomes the End Phase of this turn, and if it does, skip your opponent's next turn.

What if I have it Target and Sunder 1 Warrior/B-W you control by that exact 600 before SS itself?

Tamed Agile Dragon

It's still super-easy XYZ, Synchro, Tribute, and protection for a monster at the same time. I get the idea but it just does a lot.

Alright, but should I change LP gain to 500 so that it fit the boost? or is 700 already good?

I'd make it 500 because it's nice when numbers line up like that.

Card suggestion:
Sunderstorm
Field Spell Card
If a LIGHT monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned: Sunder all non-LIGHT monsters on the field by 200. (This ATK/DEF loss remains even if this card leaves the field.) If this card on the field is sent to the Graveyard: Return all face-up LIGHT monsters on the field to the hand. 

Potentially useful if it sticks about long enough, but it feels like the bounce makes this anti-LIGHT tech in the end, which I'm not a fan of.

Card suggestion:
Neko Mane Queen
0 ATK/0 DEF
2 Level 1 monsters
This card cannot be destroyed by battle. After damage calculation, when this Defense Position monster battles a monster: Change this card to Attack Position, and if you do, this card gains 1000 ATK. During your turn (except during the End Phase), when this card in your possession is sent to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect: It becomes the End Phase of this turn, and if it does, skip your opponent's next turn.

Condition-less

Battle Resistance is dangerous this format - doubly so when it gains ATK potentially infinitely. Maybe it has to remove a material to get the +1000? 

but it feels like the bounce makes this anti-LIGHT tech in the end, which I'm not a fan of.

It could be used that way, but it's meant as both a drawback to the card as well as letting re-use your LIGHT summons later, possibly with trigger effects which might not exist yet.

Battle Resistance is dangerous this format - doubly so when it gains ATK potentially infinitely. Maybe it has to remove a material to get the +1000? 

I could edit it to make it a bit weaker. How about this:

Card suggestion (Edit):

Neko Mane Queen

0 ATK/0 DEF

2 Level 1 monsters

This card cannot be destroyed by battle while it is in Defense Position or has Xyz Material. After damage calculation, when this Defense Position monster battles a monster: Change this card to Attack Position, then detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, and if you do, this card gains 1000 ATK. During your turn (except during the End Phase), when this card in your possession is sent to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect: It becomes the End Phase of this turn, and if it does, skip your opponent's next turn.

Alright Grif, thx for feedbacks, guess these are final

Tamed Agile Dragon

1200/700

You can target 1 face-up Warrior-Type or Beast-Warrior-Type monster you control; Sunder it by 600, then Special Summon this card from your hand. This card cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon or be used as a Material for the Summon of a Synchro or Xyz Monster for the rest of this turn. You can only Special Summon "Tamed Agile Dragon" once per turn this way. You can target 1 Level 4 or lower monster you control; equip this face-up monster to that target. It gains 600 ATK, also it can attack your opponent directly. When the equipped monster is targeted for an attack or by a card effect: You can send this card to the Graveyard; negate that attack or effect.

Holy Pillar

Continuous Spell

Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up LIGHT monster you control; it gains 500 ATK until the end of this turn, then you gain 500 Life Points. If you have 10000 or more Life Points: You can pay 2000 Life Points and send this face-up card to the Graveyard; Special Summon 1 LIGHT monster from your hand or Graveyard. You can only control 1 "Holy Pillar".

Well, the last effect is the one I find wonky most. I think the next iteration step could either be removing it or trying something like "when ... each player can return all LIGHT monsters they control to their hand." - this wouldn't have it as a drawback, but a symmetrical attribute-specific drawback is why it's a problem. 

Level 7-8s? hmm

Card Suggestion

Swift Cavalry Roven

FIRE/Warrior/Level 7/Effect

2400/2700

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by discarding 1 card. If Summoned this way, Sunder this card by 900, also it cannot be used as Material for the Synchro or Xyz Summon or be Tributed for the Tribute Summon of a non-Warrior-Type monster for the rest of this turn. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster you control; it gains 600 ATK, then Sunder it by 300.

The next one is just kind of experiment and not so well thought. If you think it's not OK, please Reject it right away, I just don't want to (and can't find any good ways to) edit it.

Volcanus the Flame Dragon Lord
FIRE/Dragon/Level 8/Effect
2700/1100
When this card is Normal Summoned by Tributing at least 1 FIRE and/or Dragon-Type monster: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy it. During each of your End Phase: This card gains 700 ATK, then Sunder it by 400.

K, so I'm suggesting to a Level 7-8 monster and a Spell support to Fiends.

Card Suggestion

Brightspark Demon/LIGHT

Level 7/Thunder/Effect

When your opponent Summon a monster(s): Sunder that monster by 1000 until your next Main Phase 1. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster with 1000 or less ATK; destroy that target. You can only control 1 "Brightspark Demon".

ATK/ 2400 DEF/ 1900

Simple but destructive, is what high level monsters should look alike IMO. Didn't made him with the 1 tribute option too because his effect is too powerful and sunder until next main phase 1 so you can't run over things with his effect by battle. Can only control 1 so the Sunder doesn't happens more than 1 time.

Devil's Recruitment

Normal Spell Card

Target 1 Fiend-Type monster you control: Add 1 Fiend-Type monster with the same Level, ATK and/or DEF but different name as that target from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Devil's Command" per turn.

General support to the Fiends with some restrictions on adding the same target. You need a monster on the field to this actually work, it is not a "Add something from your Deck to your hand" just because you can. I actually found it rather playable depending on our next fiends. Hell, it is already playable by being able to add a monster with the same level.

Now working on the contest cards.

Proposed text for the Lich Lord, complete with art.

[spoiler=Wyvern Lich Lord]

nrvqeoi.png

[/spoiler]
Dark Zombie Lvl 8
2400 Atk 3000 Def
You can only control 1 face-up "Wyvern Lich Lord". This card cannot be Special Summoned except by the effects of Zombie-Type or Dragon-Type Monsters. This card is always also treated as a Dragon. You can Normal Summon monsters from your Graveyard. Monsters summoned by this effect are treated as Zombies instead of their original type and cannot be any treated as any other type though effects. You can only Normal Summon a monster with the effect of "Wyvern Lich Lord" once per turn. (If you would summon a Fusion or Synchro Monster by with this effect, tribute an approprite amount of monsters to Normal Summon them. If you would summon an Xyz monster this way, do the same, treating it's rank as it's level for this effect.)

I guess this would fit a 7-8 slot. I'll put toxic swarm in cold storage until the insect set and will re-submit it there.

At first I thought Normal Summoning Rank 4s for no tribute could be broken, then I remembered they'd have no materials. 

I'm pretty happy with that version of Lich Lord,  and the art is dang nice. Accept, and I'll add it if no one rejects by the time I get my computer set up in London tomorrow. 

Devil's Recruitment could use a reword, "Add 1 Fiend-Type monster with the same Level, ATK and/or DEF but different name" to "Add 1 Fiend-Type monster with a different name, but at least one of ATK, DEF, or Level being the same" - it's more awkward but the original wording had me thinking Level plus one of the other two had to be the same, and only the text below clarified that just one of the three was enough. Assuming that wording is correct, I'd be happy to Accept it. It'll get stronger as more Fiends come in, but I don't think it will ever be broken, and it's probably already usable.

I'm not as happy with Brightspark Demon. The way it totally locks out 1000 or lower DEF monsters could be really powerful considering it's hard to remove with its high level & stats. Some way for your opponent to mitigate the Sunder or play around it such as once/twice a turn would make me a lot more comfortable with it, although it's still not a concept I'm crazy on. Don't think I'd want to reject it, however. 

Roven isn't something I'm a fan of - it feels awkward to juggle its numbers around that often (It's 2400 -> 1500 -> 2100 -> 1800 ATK if you Special it then use its own effect on itself). I like that it has the no-material safety clause, but purely throwing out a level 7 at such an easy cost feels weird. We already have The Tricky and this seems to fill the same role while being more awkward. 

So at first Volcanus threw me with supporting FIRE when we don't really have anything to make FIRE Decks work, but since it can be used just fine in Dragon Decks, it's nice to have FIRE get a bonus support early, so I'm cool with that. I like the way it scales and eventually kills itself, and I think the normal summon into destruction is fine considering it's basically a 2-tribute monarch with a condition on the tribute and weaker effect - much more appropriate to the format. I'd Accept that.

That would leave the contest cards, a level 5-6, and the Light Field, by the way. Getting very full. 

Considering the last two spots were taken by Volcanus and Lich Lord, I'd like to rework on Brightspark Demon as a Level 5-6 monster with a less powerful effect.

Brightspark Demon/LIGHT

Level 5/Thunder/Effect

Once per turn, during your opponent's turn, when your opponent Summon a monster(s): You can Sunder that monster by 600 until your next Main Phase 1. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster with 1000 or less ATK; destroy that target. You can only control 1 "Brightspark Demon".

ATK/ 1900 DEF/ 1900

Now has a OPT clause, can only activate its effect during the opponent's turn, Sunder by 600 and has 1900 ATK. It can still destroy monsters with less than 1000 ATK, but with a downgrade on the Sunder effect it becomes less viable.

This is really interesting. there's a few things I'd like to say:

1. Can we donate art? If not original, perhaps a photomanip to fit the theme (e.g. semi-heavy storm would be a something in the vein of heavy's artwork.)

2. have you considered scripting these in YGOPro? It seems doable, and the new mechanic can perhaps be borrowed from Venom Swamp, so scripting that might not be that hard either. It'll be really cool if you can automate this, and perhaps attract more players too. (if this works out, you can even program an AI and pretty much make your own game.) I'm still new at scripting, but if people are interested we can try to recreate some of these

3. I've been using Magic Set Editor recently and it's fantastic. Someone should maintain a database of this in MSE so when the time for card pictures arrives, all that needs to be done is slap on the artwork, and later if anything needs a change, like errata or artwork update, it can be done easily.

1) Yes, anyone can submit art - generally we'll even change names for fitting art that works with the rest of the card. Art is important for identifying cards during a duel.

2) YGOPro is the current plan when I have time. Anyone who can make a head start and get some of this playable is much loved.

3) I was just going to store them in YGOPro/whatever we end up using since those generally allow you to update fine. Does MSE really have enough advantages to justify updating them in two places?

That's great. If I make any artwork, should I post it here?

__

MSE only makes card images, but there are programs that allow you to bridge the gap between MSE and YGOpro (ygopro to mse import is perfect, mse to ygopro needs slight tweaking). When all images were ready, someone could just import the entire set into YGOPro - all that is left is adding the script. Images can be batch exported and imported.

Yes, post images in this thread and I'll link the post on the set-requirements sheet from the first post somewhere. 

I was thinking we'd have to write in all the details (attribute, ect) into both since we'd want to be able to search by them in YGOPro, but if that program bridges the gap, it sounds like a good idea to try MSE - it'd definitely be more intuitive for most people than SQL that I hear YGOPro uses.

Let me help with some cards' images then

[spoiler='Mahaifinsa, Father of Dragons']

4FIk7OE.jpg

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Uwar, Mother of Dragons']

XxLD0CA.jpg

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Apostate Dragon']

yQxvKPR.png

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Intuitum Malcabriche']

BTVmMwH.png

[/spoiler]

Please let me know if any of them cannot be used by any reason.

Archived