[YDF] Yugioh Designer Format - Phase 3 - Set 1 Card Creation

-Griffin

So I just OCG'd a bunch of cards.

[spoiler='Intuitum Malcabriche']If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: both players draw 1 card, then each player may choose to send a card from their hand to the graveyard, and if they do, they draw 1 card.
EDITS: Made the discard a condition to the second draw.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Green Rose, Venom's Saber']Battle Damage from a battle involving this card is always dealt to its controller. If this card attacks a Defense Postion monster, inflict piercing battle damage to its controller.

EDITS: Fleshed out "piercing", standardized wording.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Devil's Recruitment']You can only activate 1 "Devil's Recruitment" per turn. Target 1 Fiend-Type monster you control: Add 1 Fiend-Type monster with a different name from your deck to your hand, but at least one of the following traits must match the target's trait.
~ ATK
~ DEF
~ Level

EDITS: this one was tricky, I used Onomatopaira as a basis for the order and the wording, including the list, but I feel like "trait" is the wrong word for the designation of ATK, DEF, etc. [/spoiler]

[spoiler='Devil's Contract']When your opponent Summons a monster: Normal Summon a Fiend-Type Monster from your Deck. (Tributes are still required for Level 5 or higher monsters. This Summon is in addition to your regular Normal Summon/Set) When the monster Summoned by this effect leaves the field, take damage equal to its original ATK.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is better than what's already there, since there really isn't a precedent for Normal Summoning from the deck. Mostly just standardized the language somewhat and cleaned up the conditions a bit.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='The Land of Corporealizing Shadows']If a DARK monster attacks, or is attacked, the controller of that DARK monster can make the current attack a direct attack, but battle damage inflicted this way is halved.
EDITS: specified who is alllowed to convert the attacks (original just said "that monster")[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Soul of the Blazing Light']LIGHT monsters gain 1 level. This card gains 100 ATK for each other LIGHT monster you control.

EDITS: Not sure if there's a distinction between being treated as one level higher and outright gaining one level. Let me know if there is. Otherwise card checks out.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Cosmic Sage']FLIP: Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change that target to face-down Defense Position. While this card is on the field, that target cannot be Tributed or flipped face-up.
EDITS: changed the first effect to basically book of moon. Second effect is fine.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Chronoeater']FLIP: Apply one of these effects, based on the phase in which this card was flipped:
~Draw Phase, Standby Phase, Main Phase 1, Battle Phase: The turn player cannot conduct their Main Phase 2 this turn.
~Main Phase 2, End Phase: Banish this card face-down and draw 2 cards.
EDIT: Split the effect up, since that's how it seemed to be written. It's a bit wordier, but more clear about what happens when.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Re-FLIP']Target 1 face-up Flip monster you control: This card's effect becomes that card's FLIP effect. During the End Phase: destroy that monster. You can only activate 1 "Re-FLIP" per turn.

OR

Target 1 face-up Flip monster you control: Change that monster to face-down Defense Position, and if you do, flip it face-up. During the End Phase: destroy that monster. You can only activate 1 "Re-FLIP" per turn.

EDITS: the first wordset is more true to the initial intentions of the card as a "second shot" for Flip effects, but the second wording is literally a Re-flip, with the added bonus of not having weird interactions with some card effects down the line (my card Stealth Infuzier is one that's incompatible with this, for example). Go with whatever one people agree with the most. [/spoiler]

[spoiler='Easy as XYZ']Target 2 monsters you control with different levels; Change the Level of the higher Level monster to that of the lower Level monster, and if you do, during your next End Phase, draw 1 card.
EDITS: reworded it a bit, made the draw conditional to actually resolving the card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Generous Double Summon']Normal Spell
Normal Summon 1 Monster from your hand (This is NOT in addition to your Normal Summon/Set). A Level 5 or higher monster can be Summoned this way with 1 or less Tributes, but your opponent draws 1 card for each monster you do not Tribute. You cannot apply this effect to monsters with specific Tribute requirements. You can only activate 1 "Generous Double Summon" per turn.
EDITS: Defined the fact that this takes your Normal Summon. If it doesn't, it's easy enough to just drop the NOT from the parenthetical. I think I handled the restrictions well enough, but let me know if I can be clearer.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Undertaker's Underhandedness']Once, until your opponent's next End Phase, if a card would be destroyed and sent to your opponent's Graveyard, add that card to your hand instead.
EDIT: I don't think there's a precedent for this kind of effect, but I cobbled it together well enough. Mandatory effect is the same as "the first time", and I think the initial wording makes sense.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Pale Venom Dart']Target 1 face-up monster, equip this card to it. It loses 800 ATK and DEF. During either player's turn: you can destroy this card, then both players draw 1 card. If this card is destroyed, negate the effects of the equipped monster until the next End Phase.
EDITS: PSCT'd it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Double Red Light!']When a monster effect is activated: target 1 Effect Monster your opponent controls; Negate the effects of 1 Effect Monster you control, and if you do, negate the effects of the targeted monster. This effect is applied until the end of your next turn.
EDITS: PCST[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Down With Me']When a monster was destroyed by an opponent's Level 7 or lower monster (by battle or card effect): Banish the destroyed monster, then destroy the opponent's Level 7 or lower monster.
EDITS: fixed the Level 7 thing, and tried to differentiate between who kills what; it might be easier if it specified monsters you controlled, but I'd like to keep it varied in case Scrap Dragon-esque cards start showing up.[/spoiler]

Possessed Dark Prince, Possessed Asmodeus, Sunderstorm, Fluxwave Diviner, Crush, and Backlash are all fine. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got corrupted Griffin to work, js. So that makes a total of 11 cards scripted including erratas (with some changes, of course.)

EDIT. Living Fossil of Knowledge and Power have both been scripted and required no changes to their effects.

so that brings the total to 13 cards (still a tiny number, but at least into 2 digits.)

also pics:

great Nest drake the egg guard

Greatnestdraketheeggguardian2_zps0f289bb

Dragon egg token

Dragoneggtoken_zps69be7923.jpg

[hr]

Btw Wave-Motion Cannon might be really broken in this format. Spell/Trap destruction is relatively hard. Should it get an errata? Book of Moon also seems a very general purpose card that can just about fit anywhere.

Also unless the first set was intented to focus mostly on Dragons, Fiends and Warriors, there might be an imbalance of Types.

[hr]

May I suggest some name changes?

Misc

- Kuribee. Is it Kuribee or Kruibee? Kuribee is an existing card, and if this card is meant to be a part of the Kuri- archetype, another name will have to be picked, since Kuribee already exists.

- Re-FLIP - Re-Flip (aesthetic js)

Addition to archetype (japanese name, consistency, and because it's unlikely that archfiend support will be made/imported.)

- Brightspark Demon - Brightspark Archfiend

- Nightmare Daemon - Archfiend of Nightmare (nightmare archfiends is an existing card.)

Removal from Archetype

- Green Rose, Venom's Saber - Green Rose, Poisoned Saber

- Pale Venom Dart - Pale Poison Dart (has nothing to do with Venom)

[hr]

I also noticed that many of the card effects do not target. I need to know if this is intentional, like Crush

Destroy 1 monster with a lower level than a Monster you control.

First off, entries from the Rank 4 contest. I've noted my current top 3, and would like to hear feedback on those and others. Really glad I added the extra 2 days, since we got a lot of entries in that time, including all my top 3!

[spoiler="Bryte, Shaman Mistress"]PDSQedw.jpg

As the YDF thus far relies on battles as their major method of dealing with monsters, this one card changes the entire flow of battle.  The 50 ATK/DEF boost is only granted for Normal Summoned or Flip Summoned monsters, rewarding you if you make the effort to use your summons wisely.

The detaching effect is one based around the old bully card "Burden of the Mighty".  With your cards getting the little boost plus a reduction of the opponent's cards, this card could help take down stubborn boss monsters or radically powered-up monsters your opponent controls.

As this card would probably be the one seeing play most, it is critical that it would not completely dominate the game or cause players to have the mentality of "whoever gets this card out first, wins".  That said, this card is also very encouraging and provides some time for buildup.

Finally, it is not a completely offensive nor defensive card.  It is one that truly varies depending on how the player chooses to use it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Card]It may look like it does a lot but its not so bad once I break it down.
This card is meant to be used in sort of a Level 4 "Toolbox" deck.

L2Av1f6.jpg
2 Level 4 monsters
The first time each Battle Phase, when a Level 4 monster you control attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step. If this card would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can detach 1 Xyz material from it instead. During your Standby Phase: You can attach 1 Level 4 monster from your hand or side of the field to this card as Xyz material; then you can choose a different Xyz material attached to this card, and either return it to the hand or detach it. You can only use this effect of "Dancing Prodigy Yent Irb" once per turn. When an Xyz material(s) is detached from this card, all Level 4 monsters you currently control gain 300 ATK. 

- The first effect helps make sure at least 1 of your attacks goes through each battle phase.
- With its low stats I felt it needs some build in protection so it can protect itself by detaching 1.
- Detaching also helps power up your Level 4 monsters.
- It also has a rather unique ability to "recycle" Level 4 monster by allowing you attach and reattach at will. 
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=card]1Qyb8DS.jpg
2 Level 4 monsters
During either player's turn, when a monster(s) is Summoned, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Sunder the Summoned monster(s) by half their original DEF. When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Target 1 Level 4 or lower monster on the field: Return it to the owner's hand.

I just thought I would try to make it as balanced as possible. Generic Rank 4s are hard.
 [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Entry]
R9ZSN9F.jpg
So we're still with my 2600 or more DEF fetish, and I tooooootally didn't design this card based on that initial point.

Ahem, welp let me introduce our 2k beater who slays the enemies through imaginary time. (Totally didn't use my Weeaboo knowledge). When Horatia attacks, she'll shift from real time to imaginary time where she's the only one who's able to move (hence Armades-esque) and can move backward and forward along the real-time scale (see description here) (and hence return to original state; stat reset).

Children card game-wise, YDF seems to focused on battle, and the most popular methods used by many cards seems to be Position switch and Sunder, so I utilize 1 and counter another. When she attacks and you decide to detach, she'll stop your opponent from doing anything until the end of the damage step, make sure her attack go through and prevent even Flipping and Floating effects, but that's not all. She'll also reset her stat and (if battling a monster) an opponent monster's stat, which is handful in case she's Sundered and/or opponent's monster got some huge boosts. Though her ATK maybe a bit low for R4 whose main purpose is to beat something, but her 2400 DEF and how she could switch position on her own after attacking make it harder to take her down. The easiest way of Sundering her won't do much either, given she still have Xyz Materials left. With all of these effects and that DEF, she is pretty versatile and can be played at anytime of the game, when your opponent have a face-down monster or some face-down Spell/Traps with that malicious grin, when your opponent somehow stacked permaboosts on... say Devouring Dragon and turned it into a 3k+ beater with only 1400 original ATK, or even when you've finished your BP, have nothing else to do with those 2 Level 4 monsters and kinda want a wall.

Edit: Ignoring whatever I've said on Skype when I was sleepy and tired from studying, a 2200+ Armades that can be made just by 2 Level 4 sounds too powerful for the format when I reconsidered it carefully, so I keep her name and ATK and only reduce her DEF to 2400 as suggested.

Rulings
- The "ATK and DEF of the battling monster(s) becomes their original" effect activates during the attack declaration, resulting in face-down monsters that have built-in boost or some certain effects that boost only during the damage step/calculation are unaffected by this effect (those monsters still affected by "your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step" effect).
- Similar to TCG's Dante and some crab out there, if this card's attack was negated by a card effect, it still change to Defense Position at the end of the BP.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=card]

PJFjEJ4.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]2 Level 4 Monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Both players toss a coin once. If a player's result is Heads, all face-up monsters they control gain 100 ATK x its own Level/Rank, and if their result is Tails, Sunder all face-up monsters they control by 200 x its own Level/Rank.
[/spoiler]

Why is it well designed?
It is well-designed because both players have the risk of losing or gaining the same amount. Not only that, but the effect's influence is very minimal and can only really hurt a player if their current monsters have a high Level/Rank, which would mean that the said player would most likely have the advantage.
At first, I was thinking to Sunder/gain 200 ATK x its own Level/Rank, but I decided it was too much. (Even if it was for the price of 2 Level 4 Monsters.)

Why is it good for the format?
The card promotes the alternative of Xyz Summoning as well as altering ATK, ultimately guiding the players (and perhaps other cards) to focus mainly on battle destruction rather than effect removal.

Is it fun?
In my opinion, gambling elements of Yu-Gi-Oh!, such as Time Wizard and Barrel Dragon, is a big attraction in itself. Having both players perform something is also a great way to get players involved with eachother: i.e. the basic form of interaction. This card tempts the player to use it with its 50-50 cost/benefit effect. Not only that, but it adds to the thrill of whichever player gets Heads or Tails, which can decide the duel. 

Concerns
I feel like it will not have that big of an influence because its effect is very simple and average.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=card]

hn1yXlf.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Saintly Savage']

esgZAPj.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]2 Level 4 Monsters
This card gains 200 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it. Once per turn, if this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and your opponent controls more monsters than you do: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card can make a second attack in a row. You can only control 1 "Saintly Savage".[/spoiler]

So this card, in summary, punishes your opponent for having more monsters than you.[/spoiler]

One of my top 3

[spoiler=Liang]
So with my first entry being a solid beater, now I want to try a solid wall, and
with that in account, I made this.

9tnOGCf.jpg

Wording Note: "Your opponent" in the choices actually mean "you", since it's your opponent's PoV.

Flavor should be obvious, so no description here (for now, maybe added tomorrow) as I want to finish this fast and go to bed.

A generic 2200 wall that can be Summoned easier by using only 1 Lv.4 monster while you're losing. With that I guess helping comebacks and ending dead games are both checked, but to confirm that, I gave her a searching ability which could help you get a combo piece you need to turn the situation around or setup said piece for your play while recovering some LP. This tutoring is quite gimmicky, as it let your opponent decide which will happen, either you get any card you want while they also get something new or you lose that certain card you banished while getting a decent LP recovery and maybe Grave setup if you deliberately picked a card that want to go to Grave, and that's promoting interaction and mind games for me. So what's about deck variety? Of course, the more variety of cards in your deck, the harder predicting for your opponent.[/spoiler]

One of my top 3

[spoiler=Jester]

Finally came up with something that may work

tjw8pud.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters
Once per turn, when the effect of a monster is activated: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card OR 2 if the monster was not on the field; the activated effect becomes:
Your opponent selects and applies 1 of these effects:
* Draw 1 card.
* Target 1 card on the field; return it to the hand.

Cards that negate something tends to be something powerful or even broken. So instead of a walking negator monster I tried to make something balanced but useful, by not negating effects but simply turning them into another one, or better, two. Can it be better? Yes, because if the target was a monster your opponent controls YOU get to choose what the effect will be. Special mention is that it can also be used on your monsters for advantage, sure is your opponent that chooses the effect but either of them are powerful enough to plus. That's why the name "Mesmerizing", it confuses the opponent in what effect it can become: Let my opponent draw a card or return a card to my hand? And what can make him even more powerful is that it can negate the effect of a monster from anywhere, so no effects that activate on hand, graveyard or anything else. You must use 2 Xyz material for that thought so it becomes a only once effect and to be balanced and not a copy of Dolkka (< hate the design of that card btw).

[/spoiler]

One of my top 3

[spoiler="Star Ressurector"]uvXOZrj.jpg

2 Level 4 Monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material monster to Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard to your side of the field.
[/spoiler]

They didn't have time to change based on feedback - I know this is overpowered. 

[spoiler="Reflective Crystal Golem"]
Hk2ZI3g.jpg
Lore:
2 Level 4 monsters.
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card then target 1 face-up Spell/Trap card on the field; Attach it to this card as Xyz Material.During either player's turn, when an attack is declared involving this card and your opponent's monster: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card that was originally a Spell/Trap card; Apply these effect based on type of card detached:
-Spell: This card gains 500 ATK and DEF until the End Phase.
-Trap: The opponent's monster loses 500 ATK and DEF until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

Btw Wave-Motion Cannon might be really broken in this format. Spell/Trap destruction is relatively hard. Should it get an errata? Book of Moon also seems a very general purpose card that can just about fit anywhere.

Those and a couple others (Photon Thrasher) are on my to-check list of TCG imports. Waiting on testing.

Also unless the first set was intented to focus mostly on Dragons, Fiends and Warriors, there might be an imbalance of Types.

Yes, we're going to do 3 types and 2 attributes each set, until we're finished with those, along with some other stuff in the requirements list.

May I suggest some name changes?

Misc
- Kuribee. Is it Kuribee or Kruibee? Kuribee is an existing card, and if this card is meant to be a part of the Kuri- archetype, another name will have to be picked, since Kuribee already exists.
- Re-FLIP - Re-Flip (aesthetic js)

I'm fine with both of these, would like to hear creator's input on Kuribee since I don't mind what the name ends up as.

Addition to archetype (japanese name, consistency, and because it's unlikely that archfiend support will be made/imported.)
- Brightspark Demon - Brightspark Archfiend
- Nightmare Daemon - Archfiend of Nightmare (nightmare archfiends is an existing card.)

If Archfiend support makes it over, unlikely, I think it's fine these cards don't benefit from it. We'll leave them as D(a)emon and use 'Archfiend' when we mean it. 

Removal from Archetype
- Green Rose, Venom's Saber - Green Rose, Poisoned Saber
This one's a bit weirder, but honestly I'm fine with Green Rose getting Venom support if it comes down to it. A bit janky but could be fun tech.
- Pale Venom Dart - Pale Poison Dart (has nothing to do with Venom)
This fits the Venom idea, so I'd definitely want this one to keep its name.

I also noticed that many of the card effects do not target. I need to know if this is intentional, like Crush

Crush should target. I'm not sure on others like that.

My picks for thee rank 4s

Horatia-With only 2000 atk, I seems resonably easy to wall her, which should stop her from being oppresive. Maybe need a Def De-Buff.

Saintly Savage

Liang

Mesmerising

If Des Chronos get picked he despratly needs reworded, most notably making skipping the draw step and end phase draw are 1 effect because as it stands, if you tribute it off during the opponent's turn they lose their draw entirly. Then if you add the creator or Lich lord, you have a loop where your opponent can't draw and you draw 2 each turn.

Also, even if wave-motion is not op, it still seems like it promotes non-interactive deck design, can't say I'm a fan of it.

I don't get where people get the idea Wave-Motion is non-interactive. I've always seen it as one of the most interactive burn cards.

The person using it:
Has to evaluate their opponent's resources to figure out how long they can get away with keeping it face-up

The person playing against it:
Has to decide when it's enough of a risk to spend removal on, and can see the timer against them to try and push to end the game before it.

Other burn cards in the TCG tend to be 'activate ASAP/chain it when it's targeted by removal' which really don't create any of that dynamic.

moar artwork:

Level Eating Leech

LevelEatingLeech_zps229afbfa.jpg

Goblin Sapper

Goblinsapper_zps6db5a27c.jpg

[hr]

Scripting updates

Cosmic Sage is now correctly scripted thanks to help from the YGOPro forums.

Goblin Sapper is scripted. Not tested but since it's basically a rehash of Exiled Force it should work correctly.

Level Eating Leech is scripted but the once per turn clause is causing some bizarre once per duel behavior. So I had to modify it to once per turn for each copy of the card, i.e. "Once per turn, if this card is in the Graveyard"

Blazing Haze Fairy and Forest Guardeer

Since it is not possible to script a "When you would gain LP" effect (there is no window for life point gain to activate effects, the only card that deals with this is Bad Reaction to Simochi which works differently), perhaps it would be okay if it was something like "When you gain LP, lose that much and then"? That would maybe be doable.

Scripted card count: 16

I don't get where people get the idea Wave-Motion is non-interactive. I've always seen it as one of the most interactive burn cards.

The person using it:
Has to evaluate their opponent's resources to figure out how long they can get away with keeping it face-up

The person playing against it:
Has to decide when it's enough of a risk to spend removal on, and can see the timer against them to try and push to end the game before it.

Other burn cards in the TCG tend to be 'activate ASAP/chain it when it's targeted by removal' which really don't create any of that dynamic.

The issue is not wave-motion's interactivicty, it's the deck it's in, which is essentially a fragile final countdown and fragile or not, that's not fun at all to play against.  And the person playing against probably will take it out quite quickly anyway, so it creates the 'fun' of going "Draw. Mst? No. Go.", weither that backrow removal is to hit the cannon or the barriers protecting it. It want the user to never engage in battle and just lock everything down. I'm not saying it's the bane of the format but what purpose does it have here, with the potential for unfun decks? Burn decks should be forced to play the game to deal burn, not set up a pillow fort.

In our current format, I don't think you could really pull off the 'pillow fort' style stall Deck all that effectively, but I do agree it might be problematic in the future. I think I'll leave it in for testing, and if nobody makes any interesting Decks using it before the next set, someone remind me to remove it.

You can actually run a deck full of Tribute summon monsters and actually pull it off. Photon Thrasher, Level Eater, Level Eating Leech, Battle Fader all make very easy Tribute fodder. Not sure if this would really turn out to be healthy.

Also something is offputting about Book of Moon at 3.

Btw, one question about the Sundering mechanism: Does it destroy cards that already have 0 DEF?

--

Ambush Spider and Charged Stormcloud are now scripted.

Scripted card count: 18

OCG

Mindreader Mutate:

Your opponent must play with their hand revealed. This card's ATK and DEF is equal to the highest ATK and DEF among monsters in your opponent's hand.

(From Mind on Air)

Stance Serpent

When this card is flipped face-up: Swap its ATK and DEF immediately.

(From Dododo Swordsman)

Conduit Mage

Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell Card resolves. During your Main Phase or when this card is selected as an attack target: You can remove all Spell Counters from this card to target 1 face-up monster on the field; Sunder that target by 400 for each Spell Counter removed.

(Must say "on the field" after 1 face-up monster, even if that is obvious)

Goblin Sapper

You can Tribute this card to target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy that target.

(From Exiled Force)

Reiki Warrior

When a monster you control declares an attack: Gain 600 Life Points. When an opponent's monster declares an attack: Inflict 500 damage to your opponent.

(From Mayosenju Daibak and Tasuke Knight)

Level Destructor

Up to twice per turn: You can increase or decrease this card's Level by 1. You can send this face-up card you control to the Graveyard: Destroy 1 monster your opponent controls with the same Level as this card.

(From Constellar Kaus and Force Resonator. Also, was that supposed to target or not? If so, will need to re-word it again)

Shield Tail Dragon

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by changing 2 face-up Attack Position monsters you control to face-up Defense Position. Their positions cannot be manually changed for the rest of this turn. This card cannot be used as an material for a Synchro or Xyz Summon during the turn it was Summoned.

Art:

Mindreader Mutate

Mirror Chevalier

Soul of the Blazing Light

also you forgot to add (unless you didn't approve)

Goblin Sapper

Level-Eating Leech

[hr]

Cards that have now been scripted and seem to be working fine; none of them required changes to their effects in YGOPro but there were some ambiguities.

Ambush Spider - no problems.

Charged Stormcloud - the original effect needs to be changed to restrict it to face-up (face-down monsters can't be Sundered.)

Solitary Dragon - its self-destruction was made an effect, as opposed to a rule since it doesn't to be intended that way.

Sitting Long-neck - no problems.

Nightmare Daemon - original effect needs to be changed to "...if you Normal Summon a monster with the same name as the target this turn..." (opponent can't keep track of cards in hand)

Mindreader mutate - no problems.

Soul of the Blazing Light - no problems

Conduit mage - no problems

Blue rose blade of mercy - no problems.

Scripted card count: 22+3 = 25

Ok, selected winners for the R4 contest and updated the spreadsheet to have all cards for this set.

The reason I haven't worked on the repo for the YGOPro stuff is that I think I'd rather focus on Duel Portal. One reason is that keeping everyone on one platform means it's easier to find a match: someone who usually plays on YGOPro might not want to play on Duel Portal where they have to re-make their Decks and the cards aren't even exactly the same.

The second reason is that since Seat's letting me help with the code a bit, we could potentially do some really neat stuff on Duel Portal that not only could you not do on YGOPro, but you couldn't do with real/physical cards either. To explain what I mean, here's some cards from Hearthstone:

184px-Mind_Vision(438).png?version=4012b12191.png

(for the second, replace 2-cost with level-2 and it works)

Neither of these would work as physical cards since the first you need to get a copy of a card from your opponent's hand while they keep the original, and for the second card summons a random "level 2" from all the cards that exist in the game, even cards that aren't in either player's Deck. This is neat stuff that potentially could be added to Duel Portal some time down the line since we have control of the code, and YGOPro would probably never support. 

atm the main thing the project is waiting on is Duel Portal to be up and supporting YDF as a format.

EDIT: That said, I'm still fine for people to go ahead with the YGOPro version, I just won't be organizing that part.

I'm still fine for people to go ahead with the YGOPro version, I just won't be organizing that part.

That's a bummer, but I can't say I didn't see that coming, so meh.

I did have some fun scripting though. Should I create a separate thread, if required, for future updates? I don't plan on abandoning scripting YGOPro version at the moment, but they're not my cards, so.

edit: also, did you (or any others) already script any cards? I'll add them to my database.

I don't know how to set up servers, so maybe people could just play on LAN/against the AI. You could also duel the AI on android devices, so there's that.

[hr]

More artwork:

Double Red Light

Reiki Warrior (Directly off Google Images. maybe someone could find something better)

Chronoeater

Generous Double Summon

[hr]

About the new mechanics:

neat stuff but you couldn't do with real/physical cards either

Is this really worth it? This goes against the whole point of making just a new meta. 'creating' new cards is like, weird, also it probably encourages disputes over rulings and how cards work because not everything might always be properly documented.

As long as the cards effects are clear, it should be fine. 'Special Summon a random level 2 Insect-Type monster out of all main-Deck level 2 Insect-Type monsters in the format." is a bit wordy, but I don't think too ambiguous, and could have some fun cards come out of the concept. Those types of cards in Hearthstone are super fun and generally make awesome games happen. That would be a while down the line when I'm more familiar with Duel Portal's code, though. 

No new cards right now. 

Plan moving forward:

1) Wait for YDF to be supported on duel portal. "Give or take a few days, it'll be up soon." according to seattleite

2) Duel a lot, refine card balance, possibly add a few cards if people think certain things (e.g. spell/trap removal) is missing from the format

3) Set up some sample Deck lists/guides

4) Advertise for more players: Dueling Network forums, wherever

5) Write next requirements list

6) Make next set

7) Go to 2), repeat

I don't get why is it taking too long to be supported on Duel Portal or why do we have to wait for it to be approved. Why can't we just upload the cards with the logo on them, under the Set YDF and play already? This way we can do all the steps but the 1). I was already uploading some of the cards but someone told me not to do it, so I'm still waiting.

If people think it's worth doing the work twice, we could do that, but as it is I don't think we have a way to split the YDF set off once we're officially supported, so any work getting them on DP before then would be 'wasted'. I'm not sure why it's taking this long either, but I'm not intimate with the code yet.

Archived