Contest - 約束の流星群 [Finished]

-Noel-

Balance/Design = 16. I like the Summon condition, but I think it could be set off a bit too easily. Other than that, it's a bit too weak.
Creativity = 13. The explanation helps, but the effect isn't related to it.
OCG = 8. In the last sentence, you should have put "by a monster your opponent controls" instead of "by your opponent".
Theme = 5.

Total = 42.

"Monster" is wrong here. It should be "card". Otherwise it would only trigger on monster effects and destruction. Here it covers all types of cards that would send it to the Graveyard.

Also, it seems very arbitrary to note on the theme of the card in creativity. The idea is basically that stars give off light and kind of shines on monsters revealing them, I guess.

The main purpose is helping with Rank 5s. It's not built to be a powerhouse.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Citrus]
Design/Balance = 5. This card is very powerful. Banish a Synchro monster until your next turn, then Synchro Summon another one using cards from your Deck. AND it's a Quick-Play, which means you can play it if your Synchro would be destroyed. But where does the banished monster go? Does it get SSed back or does it go back to the Extra Deck? The OPT clause doesn't make this card any more balanced.
Creativity = 15. Although OP, it is very creative and different.
OCG = 8. Only problem is that I don't know where banished monster goes after a turn. But I assume it gets SSed back to the field.
Theme = 5.

Total = 33.
[/spoiler]

Clarification: "until your next Standby Phase" means that it goes back to the field without being Special Summoned. Actual cards that do this use this exact same wording (see Evilswarm Thunderbird, Wind-Up Rabbit). It should be noted that the Synchro Summon has a lot of restrictions - it must be a monster with the same Type and an equal or lower level, but a different name, and the first target must be level 7 or higher, so it's not nearly as blanket as it sounds (but it's still quite good).

I knew what I was getting into when I designed that card :<

Voltex
Balance = 10. I've never like nuking cards, they cause too many shenanigans. Also, halving battle damage won't be an issue for you if you're attacking directly with this guy. Locking the Extra Deck is always a bad move, even for 2 turns, but this guy has no immunities, so it isn't that bad. Rank 8s aren't even that hard to make (Gagagas, Gimmick Puppets, Photons, etc.).
Creativity = 15. I really like the whole nuke idea with the supernova.
OCG = 10.
Theme = 5.

Total = 40.

I want to point out that the halved damage effect should also apply on itself. It may be worth a couple of extra balance points but I don't expect a huge change.

And yeah, I know I made the card a bit too strong, but that was intentional because Rank8 decks kind of need the support in my opinion (except for DWs). Also, when there are official generic Rank8s with either powerful effects such as Felgrand Knight, or huge ATK like that Photon Dragon Xyz, it is difficult to make more fair Rank8s that don't end up outclassed.

Anyways, this card's purpose is to be the Verzbuth/Exciton, Spark Dragon or Black Rose Dragon of Rank8s, and even then, the card's nuke is slower than theirs. The supression effect was for flavor, to give it more utility, and make it harder to counter by the opponent summoning monsters such as Castel or S.H.Ark and play around its nuke effect.

I don't expect nor ask for a higher grade in balance. I just felt like fully explaining my reasonings for the card I made.

"Monster" is wrong here. It should be "card". Otherwise it would only trigger on monster effects and destruction. Here it covers all types of cards that would send it to the Graveyard.
Then that means you should write "Destroy that card" at the very end, not "Destroy that monster".
Also, it seems very arbitrary to note on the theme of the card in creativity. The idea is basically that stars give off light and kind of shines on monsters revealing them, I guess.
That makes more sense. Sorta like Swords of Revealing Light. Will change.
The main purpose is helping with Rank 5s. It's not built to be a powerhouse.
Even so, it's still pretty weak.

I will respond to the other two later.

Clarification: "until your next Standby Phase" means that it goes back to the field without being Special Summoned. Actual cards that do this use this exact same wording (see Evilswarm Thunderbird, Wind-Up Rabbit). It should be noted that the Synchro Summon has a lot of restrictions - it must be a monster with the same Type and an equal or lower level, but a different name, and the first target must be level 7 or higher, so it's not nearly as blanket as it sounds (but it's still quite good).

I knew what I was getting into when I designed that card :<

As stated earlier in the thread, you can go Stardust (or any Dragon) i?to Black Rose to destroy everything, then make the Dragon come back the next turn. And you can activate it During your opponent's turn.

I want to point out that the halved damage effect should also apply on itself. It may be worth a couple of extra balance points but I don't expect a huge change.

And yeah, I know I made the card a bit too strong, but that was intentional because Rank8 decks kind of need the support in my opinion (except for DWs). Also, when there are official generic Rank8s with either powerful effects such as Felgrand Knight, or huge ATK like that Photon Dragon Xyz, it is difficult to make more fair Rank8s that don't end up outclassed.
Anyways, this card's purpose is to be the Verzbuth/Exciton, Spark Dragon or Black Rose Dragon of Rank8s, and even then, the card's nuke is slower than theirs. The supression effect was for flavor, to give it more utility, and make it harder to counter by the opponent summoning monsters such as Castel or S.H.Ark and play around its nuke effect.

I don't expect nor ask for a higher grade in balance. I just felt like fully explaining my reasonings for the card I made.

Those reasons make a lot of sense, but they don't really help the fact that this card is still extremely powerful. Being able to stop all Extra Deck monsters might have been its downfall. You could just have it block Xyz Monsters, but then it might be underpowered.

As stated earlier in the thread, you can go Stardust (or any Dragon) i?to Black Rose to destroy everything, then make the Dragon come back the next turn. And you can activate it During your opponent's turn.

I wasn't trying to make a balance contention (I understand different people will have different opinions), but the OCG is clearly not incorrect for the reason stated, as I mentioned in the post; that being the primary purpose of my first post. Please address the OCG.

I wasn't trying to make a balance contention (I understand different people will have different opinions), but the OCG is clearly not incorrect for the reason stated, as I mentioned in the post; that being the primary purpose of my first post. Please address the OCG.

Whoops, I see what you're trying to say now. Will fix immediately.

If I may ask, where did I go wrong in OCG?

When this card is Normal Summoned: Send 1 Plant-Type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish 1 other Plant-Type monster from your Graveyard, then target 1 monster on the field; increase its Level by up to 3.

Actually, the 2nd one is a minimal point that -0.5, tho I rounded it up.

Edit: Also, seeing how Sakura usually gave contestants 48 hrs, questions time will be extended by 24 hrs. It's not like I'm too busy to just sum scores up or anything.

Archived