Contest - 約束の流星群 [Finished]

-Noel-

Obvious anime-inspired is obvious.

First of, Thanks Voltex for name pattern and contest template, and thanks Sakura for rules. For whoever that doesn't know this contest's name, feels free to refer to it as Contest of the Stars or whatever floats your boat. It's been awhile since I've done this sort of thing, so really having high hope of this. Welp, let's get down to our business.]

Requirement
Make a star-related card in any shape or form.

Special: Saucer-related and sunflower-related cards will be accepted as well, without any special treatment or points deduction on theme.

Deadline
22nd Jan, no need to worry about Timezone, I'll start judging 1 or 2 days after the deadline anyway, so just submit your entry before then.

[spoiler=Rules]
1. Card must fit one (or more, if you could) of the requirements, otherwise it'll be rejected.

2. Entries must be your own. If you are caught using someone else's entry, you'll be DQed (and possibly warned for ripping). If your card is being used w/out permission, please PM me with proof.

3. Post your card lore underneath the card. It makes it easier for the judges & myself to read the effects, correct OCG and show any such corrections if you request us to do so. (Just copy/paste the card lore from the generator, and you will not need to manually type it a second time).

4. Written Cards are allowed. If you enter a Written Card, it has to be text; no using the cardmaker to post a picture-less card.

However, with this contest's nature and my preference, it'd be great if you could find a picture.

5. Check over your card before submitting it (OCG/grammar, card stats/effect).

While I will allow you to fix minor details before the deadline, you should've already designed it as a final product. If you make any edits, you need to notify me (either in the thread or a PM). Minor details mean fixing OCG/spelling errors and small aesthetic changes.

You may not completely change your entry.

6. Entries must be new.

7. Use card types, Attributes, ATK/DEF that exist in the actual TCG/OCG. Fake Types/Attributes/stats are not allowed.
There shouldn't be much reason to deviate from the 23 legal Types in the game; your card should be able to fit into one of them.

8. Entries are expected to have some degree of effort put into designing them. Blatantly OPed cards and/or ones that lack any noticeable effort will not be accepted.

9. If you make cards outside of the YCM generator (Yugico, MSE, self template, w/e), make sure that you are able to link to them on the front page. It's advisable you make the card here since it's easier to post your card. In the case of Pendulums, use Tinypic or w/e image host you use to upload the cards. DO NOT use attachments.

10. Unless you plan to enter / help with the judging or ask about contest-related things, please don't post in this thread.

11. Pop Culture stuff will be allowed, but they will be graded using RC principles. (This means that I will ignore any correlations to the character/series in question, and grade it like a general card in the Realistic area)

12. Regular YCM Rules apply.

13. Submit your entries in the thread (in other words, No PM). Makes it easier for myself and other judges to read/judge your stuff.
[/spoiler]

Entry Fee: Free, though donations are welcome and encouraged. By encourage, I'll raise all donations by 10 times (max. 500 points) before adding them to the pot with my own points. Any 500 or more points donation is gladly appreciated and will be directly added to the pot.

Prizes
1st - 50% of the pot + 2 reps
2nd - 30% of the pot + 1 rep
3rd - 15% of the pot + 1 rep
4rd - 5% of the pot + 1 rep

Pot: 6500
(Donations accepted. Thanks to Jinx_, Voltex and Gadjiltron for your huge donations.)

Participants
1. 2D Sage
2. Jinx_
3. Voltex - Injustice
4. DivineDragonKnight
5. Gadjiltron
6. Khanate
7. TheTrikyTrikster
8. Cirrus
9. Have a Lovely Day
10. Risanai
11. yugiohcreator876
12. UnendingEmpire
13. Nobility
14. Judas

15. Mister Morgue 4 Life
16. Konami-yami
17. Kamiki Sekai
18. Tinkerer
19. Silenth

20. lightdiversion

21. Aquatic Ether Zerpant

Judges
1. Aqua/Noel

2. JamesMuddy

It would be helpful if 1 or 2 members could help me judging. If you are interested, Post your grading criteria here.[spoiler="Grading Criteria"]
Mine (and now JamesMuddy's):
Balance/Design [20] - Self-explanatory. If you really want an explanation, look at Sakura's or Voltex's old contest threads
Creativity [15] - Same.
OCG [10] - Same. Special: For newcomers, someone who's really bad at this or someone who's not so good at this but want to make a card with wall of text, you can state in your entry post that you wish to have 5 points (only from me in case of multiple judges) and I'll give you that 5 points no matter how perfect or terrible your OCG was (You can still ask for OCG fix like others who got judged). However, I suggest that you better don't pick this choice if you're certain that your card won't have more than 5 mistakes ;). (The only reason for this thing is giving out 0-2 points made me feel bad :/)
Themes [5] - Since the requirements are so simple, I'm not expecting anyone to get less than 5.

[/spoiler]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From now on, this will be entry post

[spoiler='Entries']

[spoiler='Jinx_']

banged this out: 

nl7nEH3.jpg

Lore: If your opponent controls more monsters than you do, you can Tribute Summon this card with one less Tribute. When this card is Normal Summoned, you may lower the level(s) of all monsters you control (min 2.) by  a number between 1 and 7, all monsters' levels that are lowered this way must be lowered by the same amount, if you do, reduce the level of a target monster your opponent controls by the that same amount. If a monster's level would become 0 by this effect, deal damage to it's controller equal to it's original ATK.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='DivineDragonKnight']

I'm in too.

[spoiler=Borning Star]

Ljo970R.jpg

Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT Monster from your deck. Its effects are negated, also its ATK becomes 0. You cannot Special Summon monsters until the end of this turn, expect LIGHT Xyz Monsters.

[/spoiler]

Some donation sent.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Have a Lovely Day']

I'll give it a shot as well. 

[spoiler: The card]

w4LirFn.jpg

2 Level 4 Monsters
As long as this monster has Xyz Material you may Normal Summon 1 additional "tellar" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. Once per turn you may detach 1 Xyz material from this card to add one "tellar" monster from your deck to your hand. If you do, then send 1 card from your hand to the graveyard. 
[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Gadjiltron']

o7EBi0x.jpg

[spoiler Card Text]Play with the top card of your Deck revealed. Once per turn: You can shuffle your Deck. If the top card of your Deck is a Spell Card, you can activate that card as if it were in your hand, but you cannot activate other Spell Cards this turn.[/spoiler]

Many times we hear of prophecies based on the stars' movements. So let's take the stargazer image and turn it into a card with a limited ability to peer into the future.

I recall making a similar, completely symmetrical card in the past. But as it turns out, Field Spells have more or less become akin to glorified, searchable Continuous Spells. The new Field Spell rules don't quite help matters.

Took a few inspirations from Future Sight while designing the card. Summoning monsters off the top of the Deck could be potentially devastating. Setting Traps off the top of the Deck is counter-productive as it ruins the whole element of surprise. Spell Cards... could work, but the restrictions have to rein in the result of turning usual +0s into +1s. So you can't activate any other Spells when you play something off the top this way. Keeps the field from looping with copies of itself, and bogs down Exodia Library draw combos.

There's no single pre-set future, though, and this card has the ability to alter it - by leaving it to fate's hands. Or your shuffling skills, to be exact. A turnly shuffle might help you switch around the top card and hopefully nail the Spell you might need.

A few notes regarding the effect:

• Unlike Diamond Dude, you are activating the Spell Card, not just its effect. This means you still have to satisfy its conditions, costs, and targets. After resolution, the Spell goes where it needs to go and doesn't remain on top of the Deck.
  • Since you're treating the card as if it were in your hand, you can't activate Quick-Play Spells off the top of your Deck with this card on your opponent's turn. However, Condemned Maiden will allow you to do so.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='yugiohcreator876'] 

I'm in! I love stars!

[spoiler='Lyra- Balance Of The Stars']aMaMBh6.jpg

Once per turn, you can send 1 LIGHT monster from your deck to the Graveyard to have this card gain 300 ATK. Once per turn, during either player's turn (except during the Damage Step): You can target 1 face-up card you control; once during this turn, it cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects.[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='UnendingEmpire']

Seems I wasn't the first one to make tellar support.  Ah well, here's my entry  :)

[spoiler=Stellarsprite]fcRID9Q.jpg

2 Level 4 LIGHT monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; banish 1 LIGHT monster from your Graveyard.  If this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon any number of monsters banished by this effect.  Once per Duel, if this card is in your Graveyard, you can target 1 "tellar" Xyz Monster in your Graveyard, except "Stellarsprite" and pay Life Points equal to that target's Rank x400; Special Summon that target, and attach this card to it as an Xyz Material.[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Voltex - Injustice']

I just wanted to donate points but now that I was added to the list, decided to make a card for the contest.

[spoiler=Berserker of the Collapsing Sun]

aZJSj0h.jpg

2 Level 8 monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, monsters cannot be Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, also any battle damage inflicted to your opponent by a direct attack is halved. During your opponent's End Phase: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Destroy all cards on the field.

Flavor:

From what I know about stars, when they die they go supernova, and to reflect that, this card goes nuke when it is removed. The other effect provides the Rank8 pool a temporary lock card, similar to Crimson Blader. It is also more or less a reference to the pressure stars generate during their late stages of life, and thus, this card exerts pressure on fellow Xyzs (which are made of antimatter according to their flavor, and thus in a way are related to the space) before it decays. It affects other Extra Deck monsters to make it relevant vs. Pendulums, Fusions, etc.[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Judas']

When I read 'stars' I thought of levels, so I hope this is okay:

SuperStarchcard_zps379718d0.png

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='MY HAIR'S NOT A KURIBOH!!!']

I'm in...

[Spoiler=Shooting Star Boy]

Nzxn77Z.jpg

The pic is of Naota and it is a kind of ref in the name...  but it was because I lacked pics. This card is for dedicated Sync Builds... It helps set up play but is kind of slow... I don't expect it to win. This was just cuz I was bored... I gave the thought of being able to adopt levels from other monsters so I gave the switch eff. It searches out Tuners to use... its any tuner in general so if you ns any non tuner you can search out quick draw pretty good. That is all I can think of. OCG is slightly off but I leave you to grade... peace...

[/Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Konami-yami']

aq2CPMA.jpg

Lore: 1 lvl 4 or lower tuner + 1 "Astronomers Disciple" + 1 or more Dark non-tuner monsters.
On the turn that this monster was Synchro Summoned you may normal summon 1 lvl 6 or lower "Astronomers" monster from your hand and destroy one of your opponents face down Spell/Trap Cards. Once per turn you may banish any monsters with "Astronomers" or "Celestial Beast" names and increase this monster ATK by 200, if you do this monster cannot attack your opponents LP directly.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Khanate']

cwa0gbz.jpg

2 Level 6 FIRE monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card by using a Rank 4 or 5 FIRE Xyz Monster you control that has no Xyz Materials as the Xyz Material. If you do, its effect cannot be activated this turn. When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card, then target 2 cards on the field; attach them to this card as Xyz Materials.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Cirrus']

[spoiler='絆星の軌跡']jnkQvKI.png[/spoiler]

Design notes:

In typical 大丈夫か?! style, a card usable by 不動遊星 himself. I envisioned it being used perhaps when he has someone else's Signer Dragon (シンクロ召喚!友人の魂、《レッド・デーモンズ・ドラゴン》!), but it's equally effective for when he's turning Junk Destroyer into Road Warrior, any other Warrior into Junk Warrior, and so on ... the possibilities are endless. It has a lot of uses, with possibly the most egregious one being drawing 6 cards off 3 Tuningware 3 Darksea Rescue, but this is probably okay given that a deck that runs all six of those is not very consistent in the first place and it's only the first time you do it (fist-shake at De-Synchro). Cool combo, but individual card quality doesn't exactly stand up. Besides that abusive case, it's also pretty good at nuking the field (any Dragon -> Black Rose) and just randomly pushing for game.

The 軌跡 may also be interpreted as 奇跡 in the name, and indeed that's what I had it as first, but I thought this name would be cuter since the implication isn't as obvious / extant the other way around. 絆 specifically used for its hot-blooded animu meaning (私たちの絆, etc), otherwise there's better ways to express what I wanted to : x

Clarification notes:

• Since the monster is banished then checked for Level / name / Type, no randomly modulating those with effects because they'll wear off in the banished zone.
  • Monsters on the field cannot be used as Synchro Materials. Monsters that are sent from hand / Deck / Extra are counted as Synchro Materials and sent to the Graveyard, but not sent there by a card effect.
  • The appropriate Synchro Materials must still be used for the Synchro Summon. No cheating in Beelze with a non-DARK Tuner, for example, and you must still use a Genex Tuner to summon Locomotion R-Genex.

That's about it. It's not too complicated to understand, I hope. (I actually wanted to make a card related to constellational research as soon as I saw the first post, but that ended up closer to the design space of Stargazer's Dome than I was comfortable with, so it was scrapped.)

EDIT: Minor wording rearrangement/fix.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Tinkerer']

I'll join in too!  Mine is anime-based.

nRkM38U.jpg

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Nobility']

yBw15Wf.jpg

To be honest, I lost my trail of thought making this card. 

The flavor went with something about how stars are "able to determine" the future, which kind of explains its excavation effect.
As for the no banishment, it was on the subject of universal balance and how one has to keep things "in their place".

As for usage, it can fit into anything with Rank 4 or Synchro decks that make use of Field/Continuous Spells while potentially giving the player a Spell Card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='2D Sage']

x5gxCSZ.jpg

Here's the entry.

Rangifer is, in addition to the scientific name for Reindeers, an old constellation.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Silenth']

He54Y9A.jpg

If a monster you control is Tributed: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card's ATK is equal to its Level x 400. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can tribute 1 monster, except this card, from your hand or your side of the field; increase this card's Level by the Level/Rank of the Tributed monster -4.

Hope i can join.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='lightdiversion']

i'll join, here's my entry

LhqY5Bc.jpg

Lore:

[spoiler='Lore']If this card is Special Summoned: Place 1 Counter on this card. If this card is Normal Summoned: Place 3 Counters on this card.If this card battles, at the End of Damage Step: Remove 1 Counter from this card, if you cannot destroy this card. Once per turn,If a Counter is removed from 1 "B.E.S" monster or "Big Core": You can Target 1 card on the field; Destroy it. You must control this face-up card to activate and to resolve this effect. You can only activate this effect of "B.E.S Golden Lunar Core" Once per turn.[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Aquatic Ether Zerpant']

Lets do this, if I may.

[spoiler=Starlight Veil]

BslPis8.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]

Once per turn: you can activate one of the following effects, depending on the Level(s) of the monster(s) you control:
@1-4: You can Normal Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set.
@5-6: Add 1 monster from your Graveyard to your Hand.
@7+: Your opponent cannot target monsters with a Level you control with card effects this turn.
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

banged this out: 

nl7nEH3.jpg

Lore: If your opponent controls more monsters than you do, you can Tribute Summon this card with one less Tribute. When this card is Normal Summoned, you may lower the level(s) of all monsters you control (min 2.) by  a number between 1 and 7, all monsters' levels that are lowered this way must be lowered by the same amount, if you do, reduce the level of a target monster your opponent controls by the that same amount. If a monster's level would become 0 by this effect, deal damage to it's controller equal to it's original ATK.

I'll give it a shot as well. 

[spoiler: The card]

w4LirFn.jpg

2 Level 4 Monsters
As long as this monster has Xyz Material you may Normal Summon 1 additional "tellar" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. Once per turn you may detach 1 Xyz material from this card to add one "tellar" monster from your deck to your hand. If you do, then send 1 card from your hand to the graveyard. 
[/spoiler]

o7EBi0x.jpg

[spoiler Card Text]Play with the top card of your Deck revealed. Once per turn: You can shuffle your Deck. If the top card of your Deck is a Spell Card, you can activate that card as if it were in your hand, but you cannot activate other Spell Cards this turn.[/spoiler]

Many times we hear of prophecies based on the stars' movements. So let's take the stargazer image and turn it into a card with a limited ability to peer into the future.

I recall making a similar, completely symmetrical card in the past. But as it turns out, Field Spells have more or less become akin to glorified, searchable Continuous Spells. The new Field Spell rules don't quite help matters.

Took a few inspirations from Future Sight while designing the card. Summoning monsters off the top of the Deck could be potentially devastating. Setting Traps off the top of the Deck is counter-productive as it ruins the whole element of surprise. Spell Cards... could work, but the restrictions have to rein in the result of turning usual +0s into +1s. So you can't activate any other Spells when you play something off the top this way. Keeps the field from looping with copies of itself, and bogs down Exodia Library draw combos.

There's no single pre-set future, though, and this card has the ability to alter it - by leaving it to fate's hands. Or your shuffling skills, to be exact. A turnly shuffle might help you switch around the top card and hopefully nail the Spell you might need.

A few notes regarding the effect:

• Unlike Diamond Dude, you are activating the Spell Card, not just its effect. This means you still have to satisfy its conditions, costs, and targets. After resolution, the Spell goes where it needs to go and doesn't remain on top of the Deck.
  • Since you're treating the card as if it were in your hand, you can't activate Quick-Play Spells off the top of your Deck with this card on your opponent's turn. However, Condemned Maiden will allow you to do so.

I'm in! I love stars!

[spoiler='Lyra- Balance Of The Stars']aMaMBh6.jpg

Once per turn, you can send 1 LIGHT monster from your deck to the Graveyard to have this card gain 300 ATK. Once per turn, during either player's turn (except during the Damage Step): You can target 1 face-up card you control; once during this turn, it cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects.[/spoiler]

I just wanted to donate points but now that I was added to the list, decided to make a card for the contest.

[spoiler=Berserker of the Collapsing Sun]

aZJSj0h.jpg

2 Level 8 monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, monsters cannot be Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, also any battle damage inflicted to your opponent by a direct attack is halved. During your opponent's End Phase: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Destroy all cards on the field.

Flavor:

From what I know about stars, when they die they go supernova, and to reflect that, this card goes nuke when it is removed. The other effect provides the Rank8 pool a temporary lock card, similar to Crimson Blader. It is also more or less a reference to the pressure stars generate during their late stages of life, and thus, this card exerts pressure on fellow Xyzs (which are made of antimatter according to their flavor, and thus in a way are related to the space) before it decays. It affects other Extra Deck monsters to make it relevant vs. Pendulums, Fusions, etc.[/spoiler]

When I read 'stars' I thought of levels, so I hope this is okay:

SuperStarchcard_zps379718d0.png

When this card is Normal Summoned: Send 1 Plant-Type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish 1 other Plant-Type monster from your Graveyard and target 1 monster on the field; increase its Level by upto 3.

4doc7ND.jpg

Lore: 1 lvl 4or lower tuner + 1 "Astronomers Disciple" + 1 or more non-tuner monsters.
On the turn that this monster was Synchro Summoned you may normal summon 1 lvl 6 or lower "Astronomers" monster from your hand and destroy one of your opponents face down Spell/Trap Cards. Once per turn you may banish any monsters with "Astronomers" or "Celestial Beast" names and increase this monster ATK by 200, if you do this monster cannot attack your opponents LP directly.

4doc7ND.jpg

Lore: 1 lvl 4or lower tuner + 1 "Astronomers Disciple" + 1 or more non-tuner monsters.

Rejected on the ground of Fake Type

Archived