[MtG15] Crimson Archer

Forest Fire

gBQFTyU.png
{2}{r}{r}
Raid - When Crimson Archer enters the battlefield, if you attacked with a creature this turn, destroy target nonbasic land.
[spoiler V2]qmXuSE3.png
{2}{r}{r}
Raid - When Crimson Archer enters the battlefield, if you attacked with a creature this turn, destroy target land.[/spoiler]
[spoiler V1]hLZGXKi.png
{2}{r}{r}
Rare
Reach, flash
Raid - When Crimson Archer enters the battlefield, if you attacked with a creature this turn, exile the top card of your library face-up; you may cast it from exile this turn.[/spoiler]

First off, I am not sre what you are referring to by [MtG15], but whatever.

As for the card, a 3/3 for 4 with both reach and flash is very efficiently costed, perhaps to the point of being problematic.

The raid ability is a bit odd, as unlike similar effects that are becoming more and more numerous in red, this does not allow one to play lands. Not sure if this was intentional or not.

Reach and Flash aren't exactly keywords you'd find on red cards.

Main effect has some difficulty being used. I see it in a similar vein to casting Chandra, Pyromaster and subsequently using her [0] ability. Unless you're swimming in mana when you cast this, you probably don't have the means to cast anything of value. And if you hit a land, well, you can't cast lands.

Yeah, it faces similar problems with Act on Impulse, though it has a body to give it other purpose.

Reach and Flash aren't exactly keywords you'd find on red cards.

Main effect has some difficulty being used. I see it in a similar vein to casting Chandra, Pyromaster and subsequently using her [0] ability. Unless you're swimming in mana when you cast this, you probably don't have the means to cast anything of value. And if you hit a land, well, you can't cast lands.

Yeah, it faces similar problems with Act on Impulse, though it has a body to give it other purpose.

flash was more to make the ability easier to access (at least that's how it went in my mind). reach.. well.. it's an archer.. it has to have reach. 

act on impulse is my favorite red spell. 

First off, I am not sre what you are referring to by [MtG15], but whatever.

As for the card, a 3/3 for 4 with both reach and flash is very efficiently costed, perhaps to the point of being problematic.

The raid ability is a bit odd, as unlike similar effects that are becoming more and more numerous in red, this does not allow one to play lands. Not sure if this was intentional or not.

m15... cause the rarity thingy in the type box.. and it's 2015...

red is more (to me) about destroying and being fast. this is kinda meant to be in a mardu deck, which basically is speed and destruction. it was completely intentional for it not to allow the play of lands.

if i took out flash, would that be better?

I was also considering a land destruction for the raid... maybe?

The ability isn't Green?

also the challenge this was entered into was looking for mono-red. any way. 

Reach is defensive. Red isn't about being defensive. There is no need for red to be defensive.

good point... lol. can't believe i didn't think about that.

still kinda wondering if this:

"{2}{r}{r} 
Raid- When Crimson Archer enters the battlefield, if you attacked with a creature this turn, destroy target land." and taking the statics away would be good or if i should keep the raid and take the statics away

if i took out flash, would that be better?

I was also considering a land destruction for the raid... maybe?

I like the land destruction as the raid, though at 4 mana might be a bit to aggressively costed. They've pulled back from those kinds of effects because its generally unfun (Stone Rain is too good for example). As such, I think it should have a limit and only destroy non-basics. 

Reach is firmly outside the color pie for red. Plus, there are plenty of red archers without reach.

I wouldn't say FIRMLY. Thing is, no color is secondary in reach and red HAS been suggested as a possibility since its an enemy of blue, the #1 flying color and is 4th in terms of flying with the bulk of the flying creatures being either Dragons or Phoenixes.

I like the land destruction as the raid, though at 4 mana might be a bit to aggressively costed. They've pulled back from those kinds of effects because its generally unfun (Stone Rain is too good for example). As such, I think it should have a limit and only destroy non-basics. 

how can i limit it? it's already pretty difficult to get out and once per turn anyway..

I wouldn't say FIRMLY. Thing is, no color is secondary in reach and red HAS been suggested as a possibility since its an enemy of blue, the #1 flying color and is 4th in terms of flying with the bulk of the flying creatures being either Dragons or Phoenixes.

There are only two creatures that are mono-R with reach. Both are from Planar Chaos, a set designed specifically to show alternate interpretations of the color pie, a.k.a. stuff that it isn't now. Reach isn't secondary in any other color because green's the only color that hates flying the way it does. White probably would be the runner-up, if I had to name one, but even still green clearly gets the most in that regard.

On that note, I should really pull together my "what can each color do?" guide at some point, seeing as people still seem to have issues with knowing how abilities are divvied out.

There are only two creatures that are mono-R with reach. Both are from Planar Chaos, a set designed specifically to show alternate interpretations of the color pie, a.k.a. stuff that it isn't now. Reach isn't secondary in any other color because green's the only color that hates flying the way it does. White probably would be the runner-up, if I had to name one, but even still green clearly gets the most in that regard.

On that note, I should really pull together my "what can each color do?" guide at some point, seeing as people still seem to have issues with knowing how abilities are divvied out.

Yea, I know. As said, no color is currently secondary with reach. I was talking speculatively which color could get it and, imo, Red is the best choice to even end up as tertiary option.

That actually sounds like a good idea for the section. I'm pretty sure I've seen a pretty detailed list before (my guess is Maroblog) but can't remember/find it.

Archived