Why are these items female only?

Arctic55

Maybe I'm the only one who ever went to bed wondering this but, why are skirts female only? I mean, from what I hear, they allow more freedom than pants. I mean, why do females get pants, but males don't get skirts? I mean think about this. 

High heels were originally developed for males. Yep, that's right, males. They were for cavalry. Made it easier to mount the horses and stay in the saddle or something. But fast forward to today, they are a female item that has been blown way out of proportion as a item of fashion. 

Pants. were originally male only also. But they eventually became acceptable for females when the bike was invented because dresses would get stuck in the wheels and other moving parts. 

So, my question is, if these two items can be turned into a female only item, why can't we share skirts at least? I mean, dresses have been historically a female item, and would seem totally weird for a male to wear. But I can see the purpose of wearing a skirt if it allows running to be more free. Just food for thought that I figured I'd bring to YCM.

Let the debate begin.

I would actually love to see that!  People in well-fitted dresses, whether male or female, are extremely attractive.

I just bought myself a dress = w=

I got style 026 <3333.  Really excited.

That looks really nice. :D
I'm a big dude though so idk what I'd be able to pull off. XD

It all really comes down to how you were raised, social standards and such. Where I live if a male cross dressed he would be made fun over because its not the social norm while the reverse isn't true. While people are free to dress as they want most of the time they won't due to fear of what others would think. If I saw someone cross dressing I wouldn't care in the slightest, it's their life so who am I to say how they dress. Then again most people here make fun of anything which is the social norm. This mainly stems from, in my experience anyway, liking things which aren't from your own cultural background. So if some one was to like anime/manga the majority would ridicule the person or take no action to stop it, while only a few would agree with you.

Back on topic, clothing can change through time, clothing wasn't really an issue for early years and when it was it was mostly gender neutral before branching into who can wear, and has now sort of went back to what it was. Things can fluctuate so given time skirts and other female items of clothing could become more normal for males to wear, depending on how many currently do it. This sort of thing can happen in almost anything from clothing to countries (mainly talking about Ireland/Northern Ireland and such) so it shouldn't be that hard to get skirts to start appealing to men given time.

I mean, wearing skirts that men don't usually wear as well as high heels.

Functionally male high heels are either boots or more formally, loafers. They have the same grip on them required for cavalry or construction use. 

As far as Hawaii is concerned, at least for those like me who grew up in a dominantly traditional hawaiian belief system household, things are only gender specific so far as to the makers original intent. But we give no damns about what you choose to wear. If you're comfortable go for it. 

crossdressing is something that ive always wanted to do, nobody in my area really does give a shit about anything, ive worn panda hats and sailor moon necklaces with nothing but compliments flying at me. id imagine my friends complimenting my bravery of wearing jean skirts, stockings, arm warmers and such.

yeah it would be pretty cool if wed let go of societal norms, but no matter how hard any of us complain, they will always exist and stay around, which really sucks.

Archived