Dueling Network Tournament Discussion Thread

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we do different formats for different tournaments? DNCG one tournament, strict TCG another, OCG another, Goats (maybe?) another and so on? It would add a nice bit of variety.

That...that actually sounds good. Encourages you to change decks from tournament to tournament.

Not.... Quite what I meant.
I mean, screenshots of the wins...
Although I should've specified....

Oh, yeah, didn't get that one, of course we would be doing that as well :P

Though both people confirming a result works as well.

That...that actually sounds good. Encourages you to change decks from tournament to tournament.

Oh, yeah, didn't get that one, of course we would be doing that as well :P

Though both people confirming a result works as well.

I'm just saying it now because it is generally quite on and off on whether people do them :/

Yeah, it should be. I made a mistake and put it in "General". I was hoping a mod could put it in the correct section.

Ok, it sounds like a lot of people agree on switching formats, therefore we don't need the poll anymore (sadly nobody has voted yet). So far, the rules THAT we have to include on the monthly:

1) Which format?

2) Deadline to post the deck you will be using

What else?

That is also something we should address. I'm thinking there should be a "participating deadline" . For example, we are accepting participants until April 13th at midnight. Something like that.

As for how it should play out, I'm thinking that each Round should last one week and then, the next week, the next round will begin, so that way, it gives the players some time to duel.

Also, I found a way to make brackets on "Challonge", but if I sign up, is it for free? Just asking.

Just to collect all the info, I'm writing a brief summary of what is being decided or suggested so far (yugiohcreator should do this but I wanna help a bit. And participate, as a duelist that is...  :)  )
-Funding points
-weekly rounds (e.g. 1st week-8 pairs, 2nd week-winning 4 pairs etc.)
-Matches, not Singles
-Pairing be done here, random choice preferred
-TCG one time, OCG another etc.
-Deck submiting be done via PM to the staff (snapshot or list)
-Snapshot or another way of keeping track of each ending duel (of a match)

Some suggestions of mine are these:
-Recording of the matches. I know it's very hard to do, but it would solve any kind of problems (misunderstandings, cheating etc.)
-A new thread with the updates been made at the very 1st post (to keep the thread tidy) of whatever relevant to the tournament's stuff. Such things are the deadlines, the participants-staff and so on.
-Being aware of the member's timezones. It may be unecessary but is still something that can de included to the thread.

Finally, some questions I have: Does DNCG mean "Both TCG and OCG" or something else? Also, What is the Goat?

Thank you so much! I know I should've been noting these downs but I didn't I'm really sorry for that.

As for what is Goat, that is a good question. I have no idea. I don't know what DNCG stands for.

EndUser, are you interested in joining the "DN Staff Team"? If you are, I'll add you as a friend.

Thank you for your suggestions! :) We have talked about watching each and every duel and all of us think that providing a snapshot of the deck you'll be using on the tournament is enough. My "staff team" all said that watching duels is too much! I seem to think it's a good idea, but I think we're still discussing it.

However, KingOfOblivion came up with the idea of just checking decks and then the final match, somebody supervises the duel because that is the really important match.

Thank you so much!

You're welcome.

EndUser, are you interested in joining the "DN Staff Team"? If you are, I'll add you as a friend.

As I said, I'd like to participate as a duelist. Being staff requires being more active than usual, which I cannot afford (regarding non-casual matters). Most likely, I can be a helping hand but not an official staff. However, since the tournament is yet to be settled, everything's possible.

And what's with that "friendship gift"? Sounds like you befriend with people that benefit you. Haha.... ^_^

We have talked about watching each and every duel and all of us think that providing a snapshot of the deck you'll be using on the tournament is enough. My "staff team" all said that watching duels is too much!

Oh... I didn't mean it this way; I simply meant that instead of relying to simple snaphots, recording the duels as videos would solve any kind of problems during or after the matches.

I think that maybe deck checks are enough tbqh, simply because
A: boy recording the matches would be a hassle
B: if the opponent cheats then the other player isn't going to go "Oh well, it doesn't matter" are they? But to make sure that if someone is cheating then just take a screenshot of the moment they cheated if you can.

Okay! So, based on everything we discussed, I think we're ready to start hosting a tournament! If not, let me know. I'm noting down everything we discussed thus far.

1) There will be deck checks

2) It will be weekly tournaments

3) It's match, not single

4) For the first tournament, I'm thinking of using the Arpil 2015 format

5) I want everybody to help me out with this tournament so that things can go smoothly

6) We need to ask mods to donate points (we'll do as a pot kind of thing where if participants want to donate points, they can) I'll ask Sakura if she can make those awards things as well like she did for her contest series

Let me know what you guys think of this?

You guys are seriously overreacting. Videos, really? You'll make everyone download Fraps or whatever and record everything? Which also means they can't do private things in the background while playing? Or have to edit those bits out?

Too much security makes people feel like they're immediately assumed cheaters. Just let it roll. Plus most of the time cheaters are easy to pick up anyways.

I'm with Klav on this one. This is a DN tournament on YCM, it's not as if there are any tangible prizes and it's very unlikely there'll be much foul play if at all. Deck checks seem ok, but how do you even do them?

Also, weekly tournaments seem like a bit of a push. It's relatively difficult to get a match scheduled since matches of Yugioh take quite a while, and it's possible that each tournament will take multiple weeks up to a month depending on how many rounds it has (I recommend Swiss format, obviously, I'm sure it's possible to find a matchup generator online which works with Swiss).

I'm with Klav on this one. This is a DN tournament on YCM, it's not as if there are any tangible prizes and it's very unlikely there'll be much foul play if at all. Deck checks seem ok, but how do you even do them?

Also, weekly tournaments seem like a bit of a push. It's relatively difficult to get a match scheduled since matches of Yugioh take quite a while, and it's possible that each tournament will take multiple weeks up to a month depending on how many rounds it has (I recommend Swiss format, obviously, I'm sure it's possible to find a matchup generator online which works with Swiss).

I think by "deck checks" they simply mean the fact that gotta submit the decklist you will be using.

Fair enough. Also, it'd be cool if a few people could maybe do feature matches, so either live commentating on a match and using recording software or even just writing analysis on the match (I'm happy to do the second and I could probably do the first but idk anything about recording software). 

edit: Also, if these tournaments do become somewhat regular I suggest a leaderboard of some sorts to work out who is the most successful. I'd be happy to do this.

Archived