Electronic Entertainment Expo 2015

Agro

• Squeenix ADDENDUM: Star Ocean looks cool I guess. Never played but I heard good things about the series. Same with Nier.

Ooooh, Star Ocean, yay. :D

Anyway, so far I'm liking Nintendo's stuff more but that's mainly because I actually can play a lot of those games.

Sony did amazing though, much better than I had expected.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooh, Star Ocean, yay. :D

Anyway, so far I'm liking Nintendo's stuff more but that's mainly because I actually can play a lot of those games.

Sony did amazing though, much better than I had expected.

Thats kind of where I am. Sony showed off "cooler" stuff and had bigger announcements, but the stuff I play is still Nintendo. Also, pretty sure all the big stuff we're seeing for PS4 isn't out until next year.

Anyway, haven't actually read a ton of the thread, so has their been any talk about Horizon Zero Dawn? The world seems really cool and interesting, its a new IP, and it has a female lead which is a nice change of pace. Certainly a game I'm keeping an eye on.

Honestly, I don't care all that much about Fallout 4. I'm glad it's here for the people who've really been wanting it, but I'm just not a fan of the aesthetic. I played a good bit into 3 but currently have no desire to finish it. I'd much rather have a new Elder Scrolls game (not Legends).

Ik that it's impossible, but t would be interesting to port the Dark Souls saga on the Wii U, i feel like it could fit kinda well, and give another mature game option in the Wii U library. the gamepad could be used for... (idk i never played any Souls games, i'm just curious)

I think my feelings are close to Agro's

The amiiibo news is fine, but the impossibility of getting them makes them pushing them an issue.

For me, it's not about getting them as much as I feel Skylanders could have implemented them better. Like even if you already have Bowser and DK, you still need to buy new ones to be able to use them in Skylanders. And even if I wanted a Bowser or DK amiibo, I don't think I'd want the Skylanders design. Since it's on Wii U anyway, it bewilders me why they wouldn't just let you use the NFC reader to put them in the game. Nintendo should have stood pat on that and just made it so that people who already have those amiibo can just put them in the game.

Star Fox is cool, but it was never a franchise I played so I don't know how to feel about it. Also curious what exactly it is since, as they said, it isn't a continuation or remake.

Tbh, seems pretty obvious what it is from the gameplay trailer and demos at E3. It looks and plays like a Star Fox game with gyro controls that any Splatoon player would find enjoyable and a cool first-person thing on the gamepad.

Triforce Heros is cool, but not having people to play with is kind of tilting. My bias is single player games so thats part of it.

The game is centered around online co-op with strangers so that wouldn't really be a problem. You can also play the game through by yourself by switching between Links apparently.

The M&L x Paper Mario got the biggest reaction. Like, I didn't see it coming and it seems like a REALLY sweet idea. Tennis is a great game for the motion controls.

Are they using motion controls? It didn't look like it to me.

Mario Maker is still super hype and I love that you can play as other characters.

I kind of wish you could actually play as those characters, with their mechanics and such. atm, it's just a reskin for mario.

So yea, maybe I just didn't have realistic expectations going in, so thats on me I guess. We saw a lot of cool things but not much really excited me. Over all, I think the biggest problem was that the things they showed off we already knew about so we didn't have any hype reveals.

I had an argument that I just gave up on because the other guy was kind of being a moron, but I don't think the problem was that they didn't have any hype reveals. A new Zelda (also Hyrule Warriors, except that it was leaked), Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario, and Metroid were all revealed at the show. Those are two A-tier franchise for Nintendo and another arguably B-tier. They also did a B/C-tier reveal in Star Fox, technically, as we'd only heard word about its prototypical form and had never actually seen it. I want to include the new Wii U animal crossing game as well, but it's much more of a spin-off than Metroid Prime Federation Force, so it's not exactly an any-tier franchise.

What's important thing to keep in mind as well is that the Skylanders and Yo-kai Watch inclusions at the event may not exactly be hype to us, but getting them attention and exclusive content to your system is huge. Skylanders is a giant franchise, so any incentive to get the game on your system over others is a big thing, even if the hardcore Nintendo fans don't care about it, and Yo-kai Watch has the potential to be as big as Pokémon is currently, so seeing Nintendo put it front and center at E3 shows that they're ready to try to push it come this fall. Honestly, I think that's why they're not releasing a new mainline Pokémon game this year, because they want to make Yo-kai Watch as much of a handheld system seller as their own.

Basically, my point is that there were definitely reveals. And they were pretty big franchises. The problem was that they weren't what we wanted to see. Furthermore, Nintendo kind of limited themselves by only showing games that are coming out this year and the start of 2016. They had already announced a lot of games for this year at last year's E3 and different Nintendo Directs. So it makes sense that they wouldn't have as much new to show as they could. It's also why Zelda wasn't there. They even said they could have showed it, but decided to wait. They probably could have done the same thing as last year and shown games that won't come out until fall 2016, but decided against it. They did that quite a bit the last three years and were criticized quite a bit for not having a good lineup for the current year. Sony has the same issue this year. The more level-headed journalists all pointed out that Sony's biggest reveals and games were all 2016 games (and likely late 2016 games) or multiplatform. Nintendo's this year were all supposed to be within the next 12 months and all exclusive to their console. And yeah, they suffered a bit by not having as many dream reveals like Sony did the day before, but their lineup for this year still looks a hell of a lot better, really. Sony's stock is still in next year.

And here's the real kicker: Nintendo's E3 2016 might actually be godlike anyway. Obviously Zelda will be there. Retro Studios still needs to show off their new game. The Pikman/NSMB team probably has another game they're working on outside of Super Mario Maker. The 3D Mario team will most definitely have a new game to show off. There'll be a mainline Pokémon game for sure. HAL Laboratory always has something up its sleeve for Kirby. I still think Next Level Games is working on something outside of this new Metroid title. And we'll probably see more partnerships for 3rd Party Wii U content as well.

Seriously, though, that lineup is likely going to be godlike.

So, apparently Killer Instinct is getting brought over to the PC. Great news that more people can play it. Horrible news for the XBone since thats one less exclusive it has to draw people in.

Every Xbox One exclusive title is or will eventually be on the PC. Count on it.

Oh Agro, I just remembered something.  Horizon is being made by the Killzone people.  Haven't they made convincing fake gameplay before? 

I'm just saying, I want to see more of it first.  :526090_key:

Killzone Shadow Fall is still one of the best looking games on the PS4, though. I'm not exactly sure what they would really need to fake in that trailer. Hiding in grass from enemies and ninja assassinations? Probably gonna be in there. Shooting at the monsters in the game with arrows? Probably in there. Shooting off enemy equipment and using it as your own? Sounds simple enough, really. MAYBE the grappling hook to tie down the dino wasn't in there? Maybe the sliding under enemies? Seems like something they could still do.

I mean obviously still be cautious about it, but in look and feel, I think there's precedent that they'll pull it off. The last few Killzone problems were that they were uninspired and lackluster, it wasn't that they were broken or not what we thought they would be.

http://www.destructoid.com/here-s-all-xbox-one-s-backwards-compatible-games-294109.phtml

So, that backwards compatibility......

Tbh, seems pretty obvious what it is from the gameplay trailer and demos at E3. It looks and plays like a Star Fox game with gyro controls that any Splatoon player would find enjoyable and a cool first-person thing on the gamepad.

The game is centered around online co-op with strangers so that wouldn't really be a problem. You can also play the game through by yourself by switching between Links apparently.

Are they using motion controls? It didn't look like it to me.

Every Xbox One exclusive title is or will eventually be on the PC. Count on it.

I realized after posting that its a reboot. Or something like Zero Mission. As I said, I don't know a ton about the Star Fox series so its easy for me to miss things.

I know, its just harder for me to get excited for co-op Zelda games than something like Link Between Worlds. Personal bias.

Wii U still allows Wii motes so I'd assume it would be an option. I mean, to get more players in they'll need one.

At this point that wouldn't surprise me. Though it makes me wonder why Microsoft wouldn't just push hard on PC gaming.

This is a pretty good summation. As I said in my first post, I likely went in expecting things that weren't be a reality. People wanted a core series game, but most of it was spinoffs and those don't have the wide appeal the core games have. I mean hell, I got really excited over the new M&L game, but I understand why a lot of others wouldn't.

http://www.destructoid.com/here-s-all-xbox-one-s-backwards-compatible-games-294109.phtml

So, that backwards compatibility......

Yup. That's how it had to work because 360 discs don't work on XBO. However, compare this to the Virtual Console, because that's what it is. They're emulating 360 games to XBO. If you own the disc for 360, you can download the game. You can probably also download those games on XBO. But they need to slowly add the games like VC because they each need to be made to work on XBO. It's better as a system than VC though because, well... you don't need to buy the game again :\

I realized after posting that its a reboot. Or something like Zero Mission. As I said, I don't know a ton about the Star Fox series so its easy for me to miss things.

Not a reboot or remake  :526094_key: 

I know, its just harder for me to get excited for co-op Zelda games than something like Link Between Worlds. Personal bias.

Pretty sure everyone has that opinion. That's why everyone's still "NINTENDO IS DOOMED" even though they revealed a new Zelda game.

Wii U still allows Wii motes so I'd assume it would be an option. I mean, to get more players in they'll need one.

Personally, I'd probably still use the controller. Probably offers better control anyway >.>

At this point that wouldn't surprise me. Though it makes me wonder why Microsoft wouldn't just push hard on PC gaming.

Probably because PC doesn't really need a push.

They specifically said Star Fox Zero wasn't a remake or a continuation, didn't they? So couldn't it be a reboot? Or did I misremember how they worded it?

I think it just Nintendo's blatant disregard for continuity.  It's just another Star Fox game.  Not a continuation of 64's story.  Not a reboot of the series.  

It totally is a reboot tho. 

Yup. That's how it had to work because 360 discs don't work on XBO. However, compare this to the Virtual Console, because that's what it is. They're emulating 360 games to XBO. If you own the disc for 360, you can download the game. You can probably also download those games on XBO. But they need to slowly add the games like VC because they each need to be made to work on XBO. It's better as a system than VC though because, well... you don't need to buy the game again :\

Not a reboot or remake  :526094_key: 

Pretty sure everyone has that opinion. That's why everyone's still "NINTENDO IS DOOMED" even though they revealed a new Zelda game.

Personally, I'd probably still use the controller. Probably offers better control anyway >.>

Probably because PC doesn't really need a push.

It makes sense given its not like its something they couldn't actually add. Still, given the hype around it the extremely limited list and the fact that like 1/3 of the games are also on Rare Package thing makes it super underwhelming atm.

Not a 4 or 5 or a remake. Pretty sure that means its a reboot.

One of the important things is realizing not everything is made for you. As you said, Nintendo did showcase a lot of big titles, they are just more niche than people would have wanted. The backlash from Nintendo Space Marines REALLY drives home how entitled people feel.

Agree I'd rather use a controller, but the option will likely be there for the Wii Spots people.

Fair. Its likely just that I don't understand the point of the XBone. I guess it lets people own physical copies and some people just prefer consoles. Meh. I'm a really bad person to talk about it.

They specifically said Star Fox Zero wasn't a remake or a continuation, didn't they? So couldn't it be a reboot? Or did I misremember how they worded it?

That was it. Reboot is the next most likely thing. Going off the Zero Mission comparison which was also a reboot it could be the same for SF: Zero.

To me it seems like it's leaning towards the possibility of a reboot, since the trailer shows Peppy piloting again (assuming the P, F, and S over the other Arwings stands for Peppy, Falco, and Slippy) despite retiring in previous games. Plus, the whole "Zero" title.

To me it seems like it's leaning towards the possibility of a reboot, since the trailer shows Peppy piloting again (assuming the P, F, and S over the other Arwings stands for Peppy, Falco, and Slippy) despite retiring in previous games. Plus, the whole "Zero" title.

Was also told that characters that are currently dead were shown to be very much alive. So yea, reboot. That or Star Fox 2: Its finally coming out.

Yeah, so the fallout from the Nintendo Digital Event is really making me hate video games right now.

Not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

If the Nx is really the successor to the Wii U, I'm really dreading the feeling of having to buy another console in 1-3 years.

Yeah, so the fallout from the Nintendo Digital Event is really making me hate video games right now.

Not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

If the Nx is really the successor to the Wii U, I'm really dreading the feeling of having to buy another console in 1-3 years.

Yea, I kind of get where your coming from. I get the disappointment, I do. We wanted more core games and by and large we got spinoffs. But one of the big differences between Nintendo and the others, to my knowledge at least, is that they put HEAVY focus on the near future so that did tie their hands a fair bit. I also feel like people are ignoring the stuff we got with the NWC and the Smash presentation since those did show off stuff too. We got cool thing. I love Wooly World. Mario Maker looks amazing. M&L x Paper Mario is super hype. We're getting a new co-op Zelda game. A major Japanese franchise is coming over to the US. Xenoblade got a release date. We saw Star Fox. People are so focused on what it wasn't and not enjoying it for what it is.

NX likely won't be out for another 2 years. Game systems have life cycles of about 5 or 6 years and we're only 3 years into the Wii U's. 2017 or 2018 are the most likely times for it to come out and that is well within the normal time frame.

Something people don't seem to get with Nintendo's E3 is...they didn't really have much to show because...Well, unlike many other companies, they already talked about a lot of their big things. They didn't have much to hide and so they didn't have much to announce at E3.

At least, that's how I see it.

Archived