Bungou Stray Dogs

Agro

Pretty sure it's not licensed in the US yet, so here's a link to read it.

3.jpg

Atsushi Nakajima was kicked out of his orphanage, and now he has no place to go and no food. While he is standing by a river, on the brink of starvation, he rescues a man whimsically attempting suicide. That man is Osamu Dazai, and he and his partner Doppo Kunikida are members of Armed Detective Company. They have supernatural powers, and deal with cases that are too dangerous for the police or the military. They're tracking down a tiger that has appeared in the area recently, around the time Atsushi came to the area. The tiger seems to have a connection to Atsushi, and by the time the case is solved, it is clear that Atsushi's future will involve much more of Dazai and the rest of the detectives.

Anyone else read any of it?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so, 2 episodes are out. i love the anime already, and while i prefer not to read ahead of most anime that hold my interest, this one is straining that resistance for me. the OP might be nice, but the ED is what held me. the ED is beautiful and i want the full version right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched up to episode 5 (there are 6 out as far as I know). I'm enjoying this show a lot more than I expected to, considering >bones. The animation is solid and the pacing and story so far are pretty alright. The boys are pretty as sheet and I'm feeling fujo vibes but damn, they really are pretty. Really liking Atsushi's design in particular. Using Japanese authors and their literary works as characters and powers is a bit weird though.

but the ED is what held me. the ED is beautiful and i want the full version right now.

But like this guy, the ED's what fascinated me the most. I'm very interested in Akutagawa's character just by the ED sequence alone. If I judge him based on his appearances in the story so far then there's nothing to judge, but the way he's presented in the ED as an opposite to Atsushi is just sublime. Also helps that the ED song is excellent and the visuals are very nice. The shot of Atsushi's shadow slowly turning into a tiger as the song becomes upbeat and confident cemented this as my favorite ED of the season. And there's a sheet ton of great EDs this season. The OP is nice and I should be loving it because it's bloody Granrodeo but somehow it falls short of being excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

Yo, like, the new episode, maybe it's just me but I was kinda pissed off watching the episode. The characters we actually get an episode or two to develop(Ranpo and Kunikida) are the ones who weren't gonna help out my boy Atsushi and it took the president (who was pretty much irrelevant and only interacted with Atsushi once or twice) to get them to move their asses. This episode coulda been just half an episode but they had to have some conflict about whether to save Atsushi or not and it just feels stupidly menial. Our boy Atsushi wondering why Dazai saved him at all in the first place was the only part of the ep that intrigued me.

That said the next episode seems to be pretty intense, seeing the after-ED preview. Which reminds me, there's a blonde goth loli or something in the OP and I wonder if she's gonna have time to appear at all, because honestly this does feel like it's heading towards the end.

Archived