[Finished]Finito. Garlandchaos wins.

Northern Sage

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for giving me your own two cents on my card, Sage. o3o

To be fair, I took some inspiration from cards like Superheavy Samurai Battleball and Handcuffs Dragon for Obariyon, but I suppose the twists and amalgamations made with those cards in mind helped seal the creativity deal. :3

[spoiler=''judging]Tojin- Dorotabou
Usability: 40
I love this card. It has a cost of opportunity since it might require working around the fact that this isn’t a plant. It makes up for it by having great effects. The revival ability means that this card is the perfect fodder for tributes and synchros, or for card effects in general. The bounce ability means that this card can get rid of the troublesome monsters that can’t be destroyed by card effects like Shaddol Winda. The stat buff is a nice addition, and the once per turn clause prevents exploits from happening.
Cost to Benefit ratio: 36
If I judge this purely by what’s on the card, then this shouldn’t be this high. It is a +1 with a not very restrictive condition in that it requires the destruction of your own plant monster by an opponent’s card effect. Now, depending on the amount of plants in the deck, this might be more or less difficult, but assuming a plant deck with <13 plant monsters, it isn’t all that hard. In the current meta, a monster doesn’t usually survive for more than a few turns. However, if I take into account the hidden cost of running a zombie in a plant deck (ie plant supports that don’t work, the opportunity cost of not adding a type specific monster) this seems to justify the +1 more. Still a little iffy
Thematically appropriate: 19
Reflects the theme very well. A zombie farmer that wants to take care for his plants even after death. Revival after plant destruction = farmer senses his crops aren’t being taken care of. Bouncing effect = farmer punishing those who harmed his plants. The buffing effect doesn’t really fit, so I docked one point.

Gadjiltron- Hei’an Nue
Usability: 36
Makes a nice tech card. It doesn’t really work for decks that depend on archetype specific synchros or XYZ’s, but it is a versatile card. Depending on the situation on the field, it can help bring out Stadust dragon, or if you need a nuke it can be used for Black Rose dragon, or Castel if you need to overcome an opponent’s monster that can’t be destroyed. The spirit monster label hurts this card in my eyes though, since if there isn’t another monster on the field, then this card is a waste to normal summon, and it can’t be special summoned.
Cost to Benefit ratio: 32
The benefits to this card are pretty nifty- a monster of any level from 1-8 and of any attribute and type. The costs however skew towards a little too heavy. The Lp costs would be fine for the level increase, what really hurts this card is that it is a spirit monster. Unless you already have a monster on the field this is a dead draw. And it can’t be special summoned so that hurts it viability too.
Theme: 20
Reflects the theme very well- a monster that can take on any form.

XOXO- Child of Oil
I’m not happy about this, but this card is usable, even if it is because it is kind of broken.
Cost to benefit: 25
This card is not the worst offender in the broken category, but still kind of bad. It has no opportunity cost for summoning, it is perfect for rank 3 XYZ plays, or for tribute fodder. It even essentially replaces itself once it is tributed/whatever you use it for. It gains you even more advantage by clearing the field and adding a card to your hand. And it returns itself to the deck, for more possible bs (The card doesn’t specify whether it has to be on the field i order to be returned from the graveyard to the deck). Anyone or two, or even three of these effects alone would be fine, but when stacked together and the ability to draw cards, it comes out to be too much.
Theme: 12
If I squint, I can kind of see the ghost thief that the Child of Oil is supposed to be, but not all the effects used support this, and thus muddle the theme.

Flash Flood - Mayosenju Inugami
Usability: 32
I maybe missing something here, but if you use the monster effect to summon it, it won’t have any XYZ material on it and be useless. That said, the XYZ effect is useful and with pendulum summons, it won’t be too hard to get this card out, and it fits in with the idea behind its archetype. Also, it can destroy pendulum monsters and send them to the extra deck to provide a greater pool of monsters to special summon from. all in all this card isn’t bad, just kind of awkward to use.
Cost to benefit ratio: 40
This card’s benefits and costs are perfectly balanced. You can either choose to pendulum summon and give up on the XYZ effects, or pay the cost and get access to some recycling/ extra normal summon, or bounce a monster. The cost (2 pendulum monsters in pendulum zones) has a nice benefit in that it adds more pendulums to put into play later.
Theme: 8
If I really stretch I can say that Inugami are masters of black magic, so the effects are just black magic, but this doesn’t seem to have been made with the theme in mind.

Garlandchaos- Clingy Obariyon
Basically, good for many synchro decks. It is a monster version of fiendish chain that can’t be targeted.
Cost to benefit ratio: 38
The one per turn, only once per turn clause really saves this card imo. It gives your opponent chance to get rid of his monster your obariyon is attached to; however, you’ve still gotten rid of that monster, no matter what your opponent does with it. Still a little on the too powerful side but not by much.
Theme: 20
An obariyon is a monster that clings. This monster clings to your opponent. The connection seems solid and not too far fetched.

Wildflame- Yukionna
With zombie’s ability to spam monsters onto the field, this monster will get some play, especially since it is rank 4. Its effects other than the one that send 2 zombie monsters to the grave are decent but nothing to write home about. A good solid card.
Cost benefit ratio: 32
The ability to switch your opponent’s high attack monsters into more vulnerable defense positions is neat, and the cost seems reasonable (an XYZ material). The attack negation is neat, and means your opponent will have to rely on monster effects to defeat you, which combined with archfiend Skull Zombie guarantees near invulnerability for your zombies. I think the tradeoff between using the XYZ effect or the attack negation is obvious in favor of not using the XYZ material, unless you really need that one monster in defense position. The milling effect when it leaves the field is interesting and the most exciting thing about the card.
Theme:16
I’ll be a bit lenient here, and suppose the flipping monsters into face up defense position represents a kind of blizzard effect (or maybe blizzard dragon has just gotten me used to position effects = freezing). and the inability attack can be the frostbite. There is no real way to justify the milling effect through lore though.

VCR Cat- Yamatengu Sojobo
This card is a good one for beast, beast warrior and winged beast decks. Easy to special summon, and can make up for a deficiency of strong boss monsters for beast beast warrior and winged beast types. The inability for other monsters to attack may hurt a little bit, but for some beast spam decks that focus on pumping out little monsters, this guy might be nice to have.
Cost to benefit ratio: 36
This monster is easy to special summon, but you offset that by setting its stats quite low unless there are multiple beast, beast warrior and winged beast types on the field. I believe the only yamatengu sojobo can attack may have been a little too restrictive, and the type difference means that type speficic support won’t work on this guy, so I docked a few points.
Theme: 10
You have a good card, but it doesn’t seem to have much to do with the theme. I mean, I can accept that being based on a tengu means that can be special summoned by the presence of beast, beast warrior and winged beasts, however, according to the legends Sojobo was a teacher. He taught Yoshitsune the arts of war. It would be more appropriate for him to give others attack boosts, rather than have one for himself. Also, there’s no mention of the chaotic element to Sojobo, or tengus in general.

Aman Indra- Deception Yokai Uragiri
Highly usable in beast decks due to ease of summoning, has net one turn protection, and the effect once it is sent to the graveyard is neat, and good for synchro summons or XZ summons.
Cost benefit ratio: 30
This card is easy to special summon. Unlike synchros, it doesn’t need a specific tuner and no tuner combo, unlike XYZ there are no same level restrictions. Just any two beast warriors. There isn’t any real difficulty in summoning it, yet it has two pretty good effects, and decent attack. The one turn protection on its own would be fine, but the special summon two beast type from the grave is the real killer here. The LP cost seems to low for this. Perhaps increase it to a 1000 per monster special summoned?
Theme: 0
I googled this; no such yokai actually exists in reality. I’m sorry, but the requirements were that the powers are to be based on a specific yokai from Japanese mythology, not on Yoki in general. Here, quoted from the requirements: You are to make a card based on a Yokai from japanese mythology
As such I feel that I cannot give you any points in this category.

Feel my judgement and despair! 

Anyways, I agonized over judging this one, the pool was pretty strong. I apologize if there's anything I missed. 

1. Garlandchaos (97.5)

2. Tojin (93)

3. Gadjiltron (91.5)

4. Wildflame (88.5)

5. VCR Cat (84)

6. XOXO/Flash Flood (77)

8. Aman Indra (76.5)

Final results, on the average. Damn that was tight. Happy with the turnup overall, gotta pay out the prizes now.

Thank you all for participating. This thread can now be locked.

Archived