Shin Megami Tensei IV Final

a bad post

dkoajkdnsfodasnodfoignoasdnoedonasjondngoiasdndsongiodfnsdoign

NEW SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI GAME!!!!!

Ok, I am calm now. Anyway this is apparently an entirely new game rather than just a remake. There is supposed to be more information coming out on the 11, but for now the information I do know is that Kazuma Kaneko is back as the lead monster designer, and that the main theme is apparently "Deicide" (which let's be honest is par for the course at this point)

Also it appears you'll be picking your companion this time around, and each companion specializes in a specific area (your childhood friend specializes in healing magic, while Navarre (yes that Navarre, he's cute whittle ghosty now) specializes in attack items and support magic) and they level up with you. 

The release date is set for Feb 2016 in Japan, hopefully we'll get some information soon on the localization date, and hopefully it won't be too long after the JPN release.

screenshots: http://estipse.tumblr.com/post/130686610130/weekly-famitsu-issue-1401-shin-megami-tensei-iv

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh, a direct sequel in mainline SMT. Haven't had that for ages.

Ghost!Navarre looks cute.

Kaneki being back is a great welcome though. Cant stand handsome squidward lucifer any longer.

unfortunately handsome squidward lucifer appears to be coming back from the looks of those scans

Oh my God.

Are you serious?

They're making a sequel to my favorite game of all time?

And they even brought back Kaneko as the lead monster designer?!

From the looks of things, they're even making Nozomi a major character this time around.

Navarre seems to be back too, but as some Nemechi-looking thing this time.

Merkabah and Lucifer are back too, from the looks of it, the latter of which I still think looks like Michael LeRoi from Shadow Man.

I'm seeing some unfamiliar faces, too. Like that brown demon-looking guy with what looks like a tattered cape, the guy with a flute, the girl in blue, and who seems like the main character.

But hoo boy, if there's anything I hope they improve upon, it's the demon roster. There's a lot of demons from the Devil Summoner games in particular that I'd like to see make a long awaited return.

Atlus, you better deliver with this! I'm getting super hype right now!

Ok so, I'm going to throw all the details I've gathered about this game here.

The official JPN release for the game is 2/10/16, hopefully the US and EU releases won't be too far behind.

The Characters - 

Protagonist (Shimono Hiro)

A fifteen-year-old boy, apprentice member of the Hunter Association. One day he loses his life in a demon attack, but is revived after he forms a contract with a demon. Once he has obtained the power of demons, he will get involved in a huge calamity…

Dagda (Ikeda Shuuichi)
A Deity* who encounters the dead protagonist in the Land of the Dead**. In exchange for bringing the protagonist back to life, he proposes they make a contract in which the latter will become his ‘god slayer’***. What are his true intentions though…?

*Majin
**More exactly, Yomi no kuni, the land where Izanami remained after her death. Different from SMT II’s Underworld and the Expanse.
***Not -the- God

Krishna (Tsuda Kenjirou)
A Deity who creates and leads an alliance of polytheistic gods. Says he wants to save mankind and intends to manipulate everyone, but his real objective remains unclear.

Merkabah
A seraph (the highest category of angels) resulted from the fusion of the four archangels in order to resist Lucifer. As God’s chariot, Merkabah rejects impurities and wishes for a world of order ruled by the gods.

Medusa
The youngest of the three Gorgon sisters of Greek mythology. She was defeated by a certain someone, but is revived as one of the members* of the polytheistic gods.

*the counter used here 柱 can be a counter for gods, among others

Mermaid
A mermaid who lures mariners with her beautiful singing voice. She appears before the protagonist’s group as reinforcement from the polytheistic gods.

Lucifer
The King of demons who used to be a seraph but whose disobedience to God relegated him to a fallen angel. He refuses God’s order, leads the demons and aims for a world that can only be changed by strong beings.

Navarre (Oohata Shintarou)
In life he used to be an 18-year old Samurai of the Kingdom of Eastern Mikado. Now a ghost. Lost his life stupidly, couldn’t rest in peace, but encounters the protagonist who can sense him and immediately possesses* him. He is selfish, full of himself and arrogant, but meeting all kinds of people makes him start changing.

*憑依 can mean both ‘to depend on’ and ‘to possess’, but it’s generally used for actual spirit possession and seeing how Navarre is a ghost…(we’ll see)

Asahi (Seike Tomoko)
The protagonist’s 15-year old childhood friend who is also an apprentice of the Hunter Association. A girl who always looks forward and does her best when it comes to everything, including her wish to become an excellent Hunter like her father. She travels together with the protagonist, but sometimes their adventures make her fully aware of and worried about her powerlessness.

The Plot -

203x, Tokyo. While trying to escape the destruction caused by the sudden ‘war of the gods’, Japan’s former capital city was covered with a thick stratum of rock. Contact with the outside world ceased. The war ended and Tokyo endured, but there, where no ray of sun can creep in, people kill each other over goods and the angels and demons standing at the top of the food chain overwhelmed and are now controlling the remainder of humanity. The isolated Tokyo, with no place to escape to, is now a true demon city. The game’s protagonist, a fifteen-year old boy born and raised in Tokyo who spends his days as an apprentice at the Hunter Association, is attacked by a demon during a mission. Thus, the lid is pulled over the coffin of his short life.
While wandering in Yomi after his death, the protagonist encounters a mysterious demon who calls himself the Deity Dagda. ‘If you make a contract with me, I’ll send you back to your world’. The boy reluctantly accepts, but Dagda has ulterior motives. ‘Starting today, you are my god slayer. We’ll kill all the gods together.’ Besides a new life, the demon gives the boy the ability to summon demons and make them his allies. The boy returns to the demon city, Tokyo, with only enough power to survive battles, while Dagda enters the boy’s smartphone and starts observing him… At that time, the final war between the four archangels under the form of Merkabah and the demon king Lucifer is approaching its final stage. That is when an organisation of polytheistic gods known as the ‘Polytheistic Alliance’ descends among them, led by the Deity Krishna. Stating that his objective is to save humanity, Krishna demands that humans offer him their souls.

Is killing gods the path to choose?

‘Humans are our property. You think I’m going to give them over to the Polytheistic Alliance or anyone else?’. Merkabah and Lucifer reject Krishna’s demand. Just as the final battle is supposed to end, a new war breaks out between the monotheistic gods and demons and the polytheistic gods. The situation gets worse. At the same time, the protagonist travels together with Dadga, meets boys and girls his age, they fight and grow together, suppress one by one the demons and angels who are trying to use humans and put an end to their plans. The boy himself is also coming close to a decision. Should he kill all the gods as Dadga’s ‘god slayer’? Or perhaps he should choose another path? What is the ‘fate of the world’ brought about by the boy’s chosen path and decisions?

Other Info -

This game is set to have about 450 demons, idk how much more that is from the original, but I'm pumped. Hopefully they'll bring back a few demons we have haven't seen in a while. also maybe we'll be able to summon Merkabah and Lucifer this time

This game appears to have a different approach to the alingment system, with it being monotheism vs polytheism, along with the usual Law vs. Chaos. Also it looks Dagda and Krishna will be the major alignment reps this time rather that Merkabah and Lucifer. I'm really interested to see how this will play out. Since Navarre and the Hunter's Association are back I think we can safely say this will tie into the original game somehow, and I wonder which other characters will make a reappearance. 

If you haven't already, register an account. That in itself might be a pain to do but I don't remember. With that done you should be able to view the stream...

If the stream's viewership becomes too packed though, there might not be enough space for us normal users since premium users get priority ;_; that doesn't seem to be happening though since i'm viewing it right now

I quite like the idea of them going all Neutral, since in previous SMT games neutral is like, the way to go anyway, so now with all endings being neutral, no one can really tell which one's the true ending. Makes the choice element more important, or so I feel.

And yay, no need to play SMTIV to enjoy FINAL, I'm gonna enjoy dis.

Archived