[OGW] new!Kozilek, Wastes, Mirrorpool (confirmed real)

bury the year

Members of WotC in the past have stated on Reddit that they cannot confirm or deny leaked spoilers in any way. They at least haven't done so in the past, so they wouldn't start now.

ok then. they will be doing spoilers for ogw eventually, yes? if the release is the 28th of december, i'm fine waiting for their spoilers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming Kozilek is real, and assuming means colorless mana, he will be very good in Damia. The can be covered by Sol Ring, Temple of the False God, or Hedron Archive, and his ability creates redundancy with Damia in one of the best ways. My deck is already capable of playing most if not all cards in hand within a turn cycle, so by the time he hits the board (optimally during my opponent's upkeep with Prophet of Kruphix) I will be able to draw plenty. Then, once I am back at seven, I can use my hand as counterspells. Not to mention he is a very powerful discard outlet, allowing me to maximize the advantage I get out of Damia.

Assuming Kozilek is real, and assuming means colorless mana, he will be very good in Damia. The can be covered by Sol Ring, Temple of the False God, or Hedron Archive, and his ability creates redundancy with Damia in one of the best ways. My deck is already capable of playing most if not all cards in hand within a turn cycle, so by the time he hits the board (optimally during my opponent's upkeep with Prophet of Kruphix) I will be able to draw plenty. Then, once I am back at seven, I can use my hand as counterspells. Not to mention he is a very powerful discard outlet, allowing me to maximize the advantage I get out of Damia.

But how many colorless sources do you have? This is the problem I have with assuming its "cast only with colorless". Adding enough sources to support them on top of the other colors your deck is running isn't easy.

But how many colorless sources do you have? This is the problem I have with assuming its "cast only with colorless". Adding enough sources to support them on top of the other colors your deck is running isn't easy.

Temple of the False God, Reliquary Tower,Alchemist's Refuge, Blighted Woodland, Arcane Lighthouse, Tainted Wood, Sol Ring, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Blighted Cataract, Hedron Archive, Ghost Quarter.

Colorless mana isn't difficult to get. Hell, looking at your Animar build, you have 14 sources of colorless. It is important to remember that in EDH you can produce colorless mana by attempting to produce mana outside your commander's color identity.

Temple of the False God, Reliquary Tower,Alchemist's Refuge, Blighted Woodland, Arcane Lighthouse, Tainted Wood, Sol Ring, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Blighted Cataract, Hedron Archive, Ghost Quarter.

Colorless mana isn't difficult to get. Hell, looking at your Animar build, you have 14 sources of colorless. It is important to remember that in EDH you can produce colorless mana by attempting to produce mana outside your commander's color identity.

O wow, I never knew that. I thought you just couldn't tap for a color outside of that color and the colorless rule was for if you stole a Black Market in a nonblack deck and stuff like that. That certainly solves the commander issue I had.

All leaks are confirmed real by MTGS mods. Link to confirmation discussion thread on Reddit here.

Keeping that in mind, I now believe the theory Giga brought up is the most likely. It's the least complex of the proposed solutions, and doesn't cause any confusion with tracking types of mana.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, we still don't know what ◇ mana is/does.

With Mirrorpool confirmed as well... What is the purpose of producing ◇, as if it truly means "Must be paid only with colorless mana" there would be no need to produce mana with that symbol. It could very well mean "Spend only to pay for ◇ in mana costs" which makes it a really weird pseudo-sixth-color.

Not to mention how odd is that we are trying to extract mana from manaless sources...I mean doesn't this <> represent the parts of Zendikar that where already eaten by the eldrazi? What is left of the land after all its mana has been depleted?

The Eldrazi feed on colored mana, as I understand it.  Whatever is left behind is probably just profuse with colorless Eldrazi mana.

I feel like Wizards/Mark has said that they would never put out a fake spoiler. It would be funny, but doesn't feel like something they'd do.

considering WOTC didn't actually put these out, they were merely confirmed by "a reliable source on mtgs" I don't think this really applies.

It is important to remember the difference between leaks and spoilers.

I gotta say, Bismuth Wastes looks really beautiful.

It seems the Wastes mechanic would be localized to this set, so there will be a rather short supply of it akin to the Snow Lands. Considering it's also full-art, I think there might be good value in accumulating these Wastes.

There are currently two ways that this Wastes mechanic can go:

1. <> is a special form of colorless that could be localized to the set, which means Kozilek would straight-up require Wastes, Mirrorpool, or some other "Eldrazi-flavored" land. In this case, <> would be very localized and would essentially be a sixth color under a 'colorless' guise. Wizards did think about a sixth color previously (purple), but overall they found it wasn't needed and caused too much trouble, even for just a single set. For that reason, I feel like Wizards would try to avoid this option.

2. This could be WotC's new template for how colorless will be shown when added to mana pools. It's no secret that Wizards hates that the gray ([number]) symbol means 'generic mana' while in a mana cost and 'colorless mana' when added to a mana pool. This will require a mass re-templating of cards, but it is a mass re-templating that WotC did once before and likely is looking to do again, so this idea would kill two or more birds with one stone. [Very previously, cards that added colorless mana used to have the words 'colorless mana' in the text box.]

For an example of why the two are different: Under the second one, Sol Ring would read "T: Add <><> to your mana pool."

One of the complaints of the second idea is that so many nonbasic lands are already strictly better than Wastes if it really does just produce colorless, but I'd like to bring up that:

• Wastes doesn't get blown out by nonbasic hate.

• Commander players have been waiting for a basic land like Wastes pretty much since the beginning of the format, since it allows running colorless commander decks without having to find 36-40 different nonbasics.

• It now allows colorless commander decks to run Burnished Hart and (more importantly) to not get completely blown out by nonbasic hate.

I won't completely put WotC past doing option 1, but I am heavily leaning more towards that they'll do option 2.

1. <> is a special form of colorless that could be localized to the set, which means Kozilek would straight-up require Wastes, Mirrorpool, or some other "Eldrazi-flavored" land. In this case, <> would be very localized and would essentially be a sixth color under a 'colorless' guise. Wizards did think about a sixth color previously (purple), but overall they found it wasn't needed and caused too much trouble, even for just a single set. For that reason, I feel like Wizards would try to avoid this option.

I'm not sure this would be as localized as one would think. It's very possible that these Wastes, especially as being flagged as Basic Lands, might signify that things are not going to tie up in a pretty knot here. I wouldn't be surprised if things don't go all according to plan, even if it is originally Ugin's plan, and something goes way, way wrong on everyone there. These lands could be used to indicate large areas that the Eldrazi had munched out the colored mana from.

(And lets face it, Jace is in the picture here and he's rather-famous for having sh!t go very, very wrong on him, doesn't seem to matter if it's his fault or not...)

BUT, this is just my two bits. Feel free to take with salt.

Archived