Aethertouched [IC/PG-16/Not Currently Accepting]

(GigaDrillBreaker)

It was as if she were wearing blinders. All she could see was chaos, all she could hear gunshots, and all she could feel her own heartbeat. Run, was the only thought in her head. Nothing else mattered. And then one voice reached her, a whispered apology and the brush of wind.

"I’m sorry."

It was as if the brunette had torn off the blinders, had unblocked her ears, had revived her nerves. Suddenly, everything shifted into view, and her panic ebbed, only to return full force, but this time directed toward Arthur. "Wait, why--?!" the Japanese lady cried, stretching a hand out automatically. Remembering herself, she snatched it back, and made to run after her, when another voice, less familiar but still recognizable, shouted out something nearby. "I told you to move before, if you aren't going to listen it's your fault, you piece of rotten cheese!"

And then she was there, that girl with the cherry-colored locks and the sky-blue eyes. "Hey, is everything okay?" she fixed her hair as she spoke. "Let's get out of here asap. If the police is going to block us, i got the perfect trick. Now let's go before things get anymore chaotic."

Manami nodded, blinking away the afterimage of an armored lady in her mind's eye. Arthur...had been the first other person she had met who was...special. But she was gone. Perhaps fate has led her elsewhere, she thought. It's too bad...I was hoping to help her find her special someone. Still, fate was a fickle thing. Perhaps they'd meet again sometime? "Yes," she agreed, "Let us depart." Swift waters parted by the jagged rocks are joined at river's end.

As they ran, two policemen barred their way. "You ain't going anywhere, miss!" they yelled, focusing their attention on Charlotte. Well...with her hair color, I suppose she catches the eye more often than I do.

"You really sure about that?" the girl summoned a leather-bound book with what looked like an ornamental deer on the cover. A strange circle appeared around the policemen. "Water Sign - Diamond Dust!" the circle glowed like sunlit water, and a large block of ice encased the JSDF. Manami didn't have much time to react--whether to admire the obviously powerful ability of this girl, or to blanch in horror at the effects. Charlotte took off running right afterward, leaving a parting shot. "Never underestimate a pink-haired girl! We're always the protagonists in animes!"

Manami ran after her, and they soon found themselves outside. "What now?" she asked. "A-Arthur wanted to go after the terrorists, but..." She had been ready to follow that woman into battle, but now? Now, she was gone, and Manami's own courage was swiftly receding. "We could just hide," she suggested. It was only afterward that she realized this Charlotte might not want that. She might want to fight. "We could also try and find the others like...us." Like Asmund or Arthur. "But I don't know if it's best to stick around here for long," she said. Whichever course they chose, she could only hope it was the right one. That love would lead them through safely.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I think we need to try and find them first."

Maurice nodded, taking noted of the cautious head turning and whispering of his partner.  Carefully, he pulled out his cellphone.  "In that case, I have something you might be intrigued by.  And don't worry.  It's not a naughty picture.  I save those for adult parties.  Try not to scroll," he joked.

Scrolling through his little out-dated flip phone, Maurice brought up the blurry but feasible image of the assumed perpetrator, showing it to Yu.  "I bet if we track the bastard, he'll make a mistake.  They all do.  Then maybe we can clear the names of the Aethers," he said quickly.  "However unlikely that may be.  You and I both know the actions of a few define the majority.  I suppose finding this clown would vindicate us, but Aethers will likely be forever damned in society." 

Allowing her to carefully go over the picture, Maurice handed the phone to Yu.  "I apologize for the poor picture quality.  I couldn't get him to pose or smile," he whispered, hoping not to get slugged for his remarks.  "Regardless.  We have a few things to go on.  And if we're going to be playing the vigilantes, it's the best we can do."

Maurice mused over the thought of he and Yu crime crusading through Japan, while taking the time to lift small mom and pop stores.  It caused him to grin, widely.  Oh, the irony of that plan.  If you could even call it that.  "Study it carefully," he whispered again.  "I don't want to confront this one, and suddenly be hit with a super spicy pop quiz."

From within wisps of flame, the crackling of melting rubber and softening metal filled the air. The air was thick with smoke and dust, and smelled of a sickening fume-ish smell. The fire had already began to spread to nearby buildings and gardens, and it was only a matter of time before the entire block would be enveloped in flames, not to mention the untimely arrival of the JSDF. However, it did lack the very distinctive scent of burning meat.

Suddenly, a new sound rang out from the smoldering wreckage; a loud tapping noise, followed by the whizz of bullets flying through the air. Fully automatic STEN fire rang out from within–or rather, behind–the flames. Once the firing had stopped, a loud shatter of glass was heard as Conner smashed his way into a small empty corner-shop, ducking behind the counter. He popped out the empty magazine from his SMG and reached for a new one, placing the old one neatly back inside his pouch.

"I knew I'd find him eventually, but I didn't expect it to be so soon."

Of course, he was talking to no-one in particular. After all, upon emptying an entire 30-round magazine into the... vague direction of his assailant, he wouldn't be totally surprised if he weren't already dead. Though, he knew better than to be careless like that, already beating himself up for not body-checking, or going for a double-tap. Despite that, he did have a lot to be thankful for at the moment; he wasn't dead, for one. That surprise attack could've easily killed him, but getting thrown from a bike onto some grass isn't the worst of fates. His uniform was practically un-singed, thanks to his own use of fire-repellent materials, coming in handy far sooner than he expected. And his gun didn't jam.

Thank fυck.

A new magazine was locked and loaded. However, he opted to stay in the little shop for a little while longer; he still didn't know the full extent of the foe he was facing, and would rather not put himself in a vulnerable position.

...More vulnerable than being in a tiny, flammable corner-shop, anyway.

"...It's just a dream...it's just a dream..." Muttering those words to herself, Arthur kept on running. She couldn't really think clearly due to what had happened - her only wish right now is to run as far away as she could...somewhere? She had no idea on where she should go, probably somewhere safe, but she had no idea about where, once again. Why she's running anyway? Wasn't it her job to find the cause of the mess and return peace to the commons? She's not supposed to be the one to run and hide, right? If the heroes weren't there to fight, then who would?

But she's not a hero.

A hero wouldn't do what she did. A hero wouldn't be seen like how the people saw her earlier. Their judging eyes still haunted the girl - a sight that destroyed any signs of confidence from her. But...she's definitely not a villain too, right? She only did what she did out of self-defense. It's not her fault at all, right? Of course...of course not...she's not the one to bring the tower down. She's not the one to burn down the building today, or to cause the chaos of today. She's not the ones that zealously fought to trump over the people without powers. She just wanted to live in peace and help others...so why was she become the one that got attacked? Herself, Manami, Asmund, Charlotte, and others that would definitely be attacked too today. None of them had any ill intents towards others.

"...I'm not evil...I'm not evil, am I?

It's...it's really all just a dream...

If so...then..."

"Excuse me ma'am...are you having issues with the law? Would you believe me if I said I was in the same boat?" 

A man blocked her way. Didn't take her a second to figure out that he's an Aethertouched too. His smile looked all too familiar to her. A smile of mischief and deception like the smiles of the people she had fought against before. All of her sense of reasoning yelled towards her to just smack the man aside and keep on running, but her body did not listened. No...her heart refused to listen to her reasoning. She had nowhere to go right now, and she couldn't do what she would usually do. Perhaps this man, as shady as he was...perhaps he could lead her somewhere. And even if she'd fall deeper, it'll be alright.

After all...it's all just a dream.

"Yeah...I'm on the run now. I suppose you would be able to know something about the entire mess that had just happened...right?

I don't know...I just need some direction now. It's just...surreal."

"Yeah...I'm on the run now. I suppose you would be able to know something about the entire mess that had just happened...right?

I don't know...I just need some direction now. It's just...surreal."

Hitomu couldn't agree more...this situation that they'd, hell probably every aethertouched, had stumbled into was surely surreal.  

"I think I have an idea of what's going on."  His fists balled.  "The....government...has figured out what we are.  However, they haven't figured out what we all can do specifically."  Hitomu shrugged.  "I'm going to go out on a limb here and take it that you are aethertouched in the same way I am."  Hitomu made his revolver appear from out of thin air, and swung it around his pointer finger.  "You need some direction...so why not follow me.  I'm sure you're strong enough to keep up with me."  He smiled deviously.  "I say we go on the offense...start swinging at any JSDF official that stands in our way!  Save our brethren!  Start the rev-..."  No...it was too early for this.  

Then it dawned on him, he had seen this girl previously.  She was with two others...so if they found those two, it'd be a good start to his start up hodgepodge aethertouched squad.  It also dawned on him that he had yet to introduce herself.  

"My name's Hitomu...I believe I saw you earlier, at the memorial.  You were with two others who I sensed as aethertouched as well....where'd they run off to?"

"In that case, I have something you might be intrigued by.  And don't worry.  It's not a naughty picture.  I save those for adult parties.  Try not to scroll," Yu turned to Maurice's phone and looked over the photo, rolling her eyes at his comment regarding his collection of... well, nevermind that.

"I bet if we track the bastard, he'll make a mistake.  They all do.  Then maybe we can clear the names of the Aethers," Yu studied the photo of the male in the picture. What Maurice was talking about was more his goals than her's. If his intentions lined up with what she had been hoping to accomplish, then a decision would need to be made. But for now, Maurice was right in that currently they needed to be stopped. "However unlikely that may be.  You and I both know the actions of a few define the majority.  I suppose finding this clown would vindicate us, but Aethers will likely be forever damned in society." They would be forever damned, because people are afraid of what they don't understand. But why they needed a temporary solution to an even bigger problem was beyond Yu.

"I apologize for the poor picture quality.  I couldn't get him to pose or smileRegardless.  We have a few things to go on.  And if we're going to be playing the vigilantes, it's the best we can do." Maurice kept talking as Yu looked at the picture, and then she handed the phone back. She wasn't terribly keen on being the vigilante, but this lockdown didn't bode well. They needed things to quiet back down.

"So where did you last see this guy? Is it close, or do I have to go get my bike back from under the noses of half the military in the area?" Yu asked in a low whisper as she glanced around the corner very quickly.

Why...AM I GOING BACK?!

That was the thought Gareth had as he, in short, ran from his soldier attacker and went the back way towards the elementary school. It didn't make sense to him why he'd go back, but then again...perhaps it was that chivalric nature he had tried very hard to go for. Something like that always seemed to backfire for him. But there was also something else that puzzled the young knight...

If they're looking for me...or people like me...who else has this ability in there?

Gareth put the pedal to the medal as he rushed faster towards the elementary school, but had he been there seconds earlier, he would've been able to stop them...

*BANG*

He heard the gunshot as he finally returned to the elementary school and hid for a moment, only seeing one of the girls he talked to before: Jun on the ground, after being shot in the stomach. It was heart-wrenching as he felt his blood boil from this scene, even seeing the other girl: Reira fainting from this. Then he watched the unconscious Reira being kicked by the soldier, who walked closer to Jun.

“One target down. Please do put up more a fight than this girlie here. My revenge won't be fun if it ends so easily.”

That was it...he couldn't handle this anymore...

BGM

Gareth unsheathed Excalibur, before small lights began to appear in his hand. He took a deep breath and then lodged them at the soldier's back. On contact, they began to burst into light, knocking the soldier back and even incapacitating him, like a flash bang grenade. Perfect. he thought, before rushing head first into the area, watching how the soldier flailed about, trying to find him. Nevertheless, he was able to grab Jun and then Reira.

"W-Where the hell are you!?" the soldier yelled, his eyesight slowly returning, only to see someone holding the two girls he had cornered.

"Some law enforcement...attacking the innocent and for what...because of some vengeance?" Gareth asked, before two beautifully constructed wings of light emerged from his back as he took to the sky, doing his best to hold on to Jun and Reira. "You have no morals!" he shouted, seeing the soldier being a bit blinded by his wings, even missing his shots from the pistol all together. Nevertheless, Gareth soared away from the elementary school, holding Jun and Reira's hands as he did his best to get distance away from them and the soldiers. Alright...that was close...

Valerie didn't know where she was going, but it was somewhere other than behind her and that's all she needed really. Course it would be good to have some idea, so she decided to use the thing she was avoiding earlier. Listening to the tug had gotten her in trouble earlier but it at least advanced things, she wouldn't have known about the police being after her if she hadn't...so she listened.

And it told her there was someone right behind her. She spun, holding the spear out, keeping it inches away from the man's throat and forcing him to stop. "Now who the hell are you?" She tilted her head to the side and narrowed her eyes, slowly circling while holding the lance throat-level. "You don't look like a dangerous guy, in fact you look kinda worried. A worthy foe wouldn't have been so surprised, and I'm certain whoever caused these attacks are worthy...fine, you seem to check out." She seemed to decide he wasn't an enemy with just as much thought as she gave her earlier plans, but she was content with it. "You're obviously like me in some way so let's just stick together. Maybe if I focus I can pick up something other than...ahhh there's something...let's get going." Without warning, though thankfully after covering her soul manifestation, Valerie ran off in the direction her heart told her to go.

And why her heart wanted her to see a movie, she wasn't sure. Looks like it brought her right to another group of soldiers.Though they seemed somewhat...confused. Something went down here that's for sure. She didn't want to get involved with them, and the tugging was directing her to the alleyway, so that's where she went.

It took a bit but she stumbled across a pair, one girl and one boy, who seemed to be out of their element and a bit frightened. The tugging was strong here, and she was sure it was more people with powers.

It helped that a pair of soldiers were making their way quietly towards them. Valerie went to action right away, no questions, no thinking, gotta keep moving! "Hey if you're looking for a firefight, I can help with that!" She shouted at the soldiers, catching their attention. She rushed them as they were turning, and activated her soul once more. In a blaze of glory, or rather flames, the spear once more appeared in her hand. She leaped forward, landing between the two. One she caught with a backhand swing of the spear shaft to the head, and the other she side-kicked into the wall. They dropped and she looked towards the other Aethertouched with a grin. "I'm sure you had that handled, eh? You two should get going you know. No matter how high that movie's rating is it's no reason to hang out near the theater with so many people gunning for you right outside."

"My name's Hitomu...I believe I saw you earlier, at the memorial.  You were with two others who I sensed as aethertouched as well....where'd they run off to?"

"Ah...so you're there too. I...don't know actually. I was too much of a mess to see where they were before I left them. I don't really feel like I know why I'm here too.

Guess it's the gravity of fate acting up again."

With the realization that it was just all a dream, Arthur was able to calm herself down and talk in a more normal tone with the japanese young man. Her shoulder was still hurting from the bullet that glanced at it, but since it didn't bleed that much she assumed that it was not too bad and shouldn't be something to worry about. The man was saying something like kai...without finishing it, and it kind of made her wonder...But he's right that for now, it's important to survive. And to do it, they must do a turnabout and attack the JSDF. it's not a time to worry about anything else, and it's not like she'd face any backlash from this in real life anyway.

"But yeah. Let's mount a comeback. We fight for the oppressed, and reach out to the truth of why this is happening.

I guess I'll start following you, Hitomu."

Masahiko supposed feeling someone's face was how blind people tried to imagine someone's face and get acquain—okay! That was not exactly what was going on unless this was some new popular greeting. Masahiko could only rub his face and submit as this girl—this Usagi Yoshida of Yoshida Corporation—started yelling at him. He was about to say something in defense, but the girl seemed to calm down a moment later. Talk about the mood swings of women. At any rate, the slap did him good in calming him down and bringing him back to his senses, although Masahiko wasn't sure he should thank her for that in case she made it a habit.

"I will try," said Masahiko with a deadpan tone. "I do apologize for—"

A sudden commotion behind them drew his attention, as an overly healthy-looking girl appeared in their alley beating up two soldiers. Masahiko kind of wished he had a simple power like a fire-manipulating spear. Even now, what his own power actually did still eluded him.

"Thank you, you certainly saved me the effort of thrashing a few soldiers," said Masahiko, although he was unsure he would actually be capable of handling such without injury. He pondered for a second. "We were just about to head over to my penthouse to hide out while this madness blows over. Would you like to come?"

"So where did you last see this guy? Is it close, or do I have to go get my bike back from under the noses of half the military in the area?" Yu asked in a low whisper as she glanced around the corner very quickly.

Maurice nodded, putting the phone back in his pocket.  "If we're lucky, he might still be at the scene of the crime.  When I took the picture, he was giving the local authorities a run for their money, but he wasn't far from the barbecue.  I mean, if you want, you could always cut through a few of these buildings and we can chase the guy.  He's already causing a ruckus, so why not right?"

Anticipating an 'I'm gonna kill you' look, Maurice cloaked, as he smiled.  "Kidding.  But the Government building is a few walls over, south of here.  Not sure if the bastard has gone or not, but we can try."

Maurice slipped past Yu, before rounding into the ally, and placing his daggers in the side of a brick wall.  He carefully dug out some stepping stones for Yu to follow him, as he agilely flipped and bound up the narrow ally, and onto the rooftops.  Once there, he waited for his partner, as he slipped into position, hoping to catch one last glance at the perpetrator, and maybe locate his hide out.

Mac didn't know what he was doing, at all. What was he doing, following a strange girl with a strange fire lance in the strange land known as Japan after being attacked by strange soldiers for a strange reason he didn't understand, all because of a strange terrorist attack. Strange, isn't it? He then noticed that she started to turn, so he stopped moving. She pointed that pointy fire thing at his throat, and he gulped, raising his hands in surrender.

"Now who the hell are you?" She tilted her head to the side and narrowed her eyes, slowly circling while holding the lance throat-level. Mac opened his mouth to speak, but she continued on. "You don't look like a dangerous guy, in fact you look kinda worried. A worthy foe wouldn't have been so surprised, and I'm certain whoever caused these attacks are worthy...fine, you seem to check out." She seemed to decide he wasn't an enemy with just as much thought as she gave her earlier plans, but she was content with it. "You're obviously like me in some way so let's just stick together. Maybe if I focus I can pick up something other than...ahhh there's something...let's get going." Without warning, the girl ran off, without Mac being able to get in a single word.

With a sigh, he followed the pushy girl. Why she was headed to a movie theater was beyond him, especially since here were even more soldiers there. Though they seemed somewhat...confused though, so maybe they could sneak around them. And then she went down an alleyway, for no reason, although... Mac could feel that strange tug tell him to go down there...

Soon, they came across a pair of people, one male, and one female. Considering the tug he was feeling, they must have also had a lot of powers... And there were soldiers trying to catch them, so there was that little tip. The girl he had followed went to action right away.

"Hey if you're looking for a firefight, I can help with that!" She shouted at the soldiers, catching their attention. She rushed them as they were turning, and activated her powers again. There was a flash of fire, and the spear appeared in her hand yet again. She leaped forward, landing between the two. One she caught with a backhand swing of the spear shaft to the head, and the other she side-kicked into the wall. They dropped and she looked towards the other Aethertouched with a grin. "I'm sure you had that handled, eh? You two should get going you know. No matter how high that movie's rating is it's no reason to hang out near the theater with so many people gunning for you right outside."Mac felt like smacking his head against the wall. Did he stumble onto the set of a movie or something?!

"Thank you, you certainly saved me the effort of thrashing a few soldiers," said the stern looking male. Mac could almost hear Doc yelling about giving the poor man some chocolate. Hell, he could use some chocolate right now. "We were just about to head over to my penthouse to hide out while this madness blows over. Would you like to come?" There was a penthouse involved now? A penthouse implied he was rich... Oh crap... Did she just save a rich guy? Wow, good for her. Maybe he should jog away. He had no idea what to do, and right now, he was sure he'd just look like he was trying to leech off both the fire girl and the rich guy. That was the one thing he never wanted anyone to think of him, and he hated the idea that he could actually be doing that.

MXX2LpG.png

"I will try.  I do apologize for—"

"Hey if you're looking for a firefight, I can help with that!"

What the hell?  These two just weren't catching a break were they?  Usagi had manifested her staff in case she wound up having to fight...but no enemy came.  She heard some fighting, but it was quick.  Another person with powers, perhaps.  If she was wrong, Usagi still had one more escape in her before she started getting tired from using her powers this much in such a short time, but she would rather keep that as a last resort.

"I'm sure you had that handled, eh? You two should get going you know. No matter how high that movie's rating is it's no reason to hang out near the theater with so many people gunning for you right outside."

So not an enemy.  Good.  Usagi de-manifested her staff, already getting tired of this whole running around to survive deal.  Now there was the question of where to run to next so that they could stop running...

"Thank you, you certainly saved me the effort of thrashing a few soldiers,.  We were just about to head over to my penthouse to hide out while this madness blows over. Would you like to come?"

Masahiko seemed to have that covered.  Goodie.  Wait...there was more than three people here, counting herself.  She could smell a fourth one.  Whoever they were, they'd been exercising.  Well, day one of being called a terrorist and Usagi was already making friends.  The situation itself was less than desirable by far, but at least she wasn't pushing through this on her own.  That would have sucked, and could have led to her being shot in the theater.

"Please, join us," Usagi smiled.  "Anyone who saved us a couple of soldiers can't be all that bad...and your friend can come too.  Where are they?"

"Thank you, you certainly saved me the effort of thrashing a few soldiers, We were just about to head over to my penthouse to hide out while this madness blows over. Would you like to come?"

Valerie tossed her head back and laughed. “Oh man sometime you gotta show me this thrashing skills of yours. I’m sure it’s amazing.” She winked at the boy, slight condescension in her tone. “But for now, yeah, guess it might be nice to have a place to stay. I need a shower anyway.”

"Anyone who saved us a couple of soldiers can't be all that bad...and your friend can come too.  Where are they?"

“Huh? Oh, you’re like blind or something aren’t you?” Valerie leaned forward and looked closer at the girl. She assumed blind anyway, or else she’d just take that thing away from her eyes. “Huh, guess I’m really glad I came along. You there,” she said to the boy. “Be more careful, your girlfriend can’t see them coming so you have to for her, sheesh. Gotta keep that pretty smile on her face ya know.”
“Um, as for this guy.” She grabbed the jogger and pulled him in front of her. "This here is...oh, sheet, dude what's your name?"

Mac watched from his little corner as Valerie tossed her head back and laughed. “Oh man sometime you gotta show me this thrashing skills of yours. I’m sure it’s amazing.” The athletic fire wielding girl said, the condescending tone just dripping from her voice. He had to keep calm and not throttle her; unlike other people he knew that took that tone, she was not a bully.  “But for now, yeah, guess it might be nice to have a place to stay. I need a shower anyway.” Mac looked at himself. He could probably use a shower to... It could wait though, there were bigger issues right now.

"Anyone who saved us a couple of soldiers can't be all that bad...and your friend can come too.  Where are they?" She saw him? Well, he wasn't hiding, but the girl was wearing a thing over her eyes, like she was... oh. Oh, she was blind, wasn't she? Wait, then did she smell him? If that was the case, he really needed to shower. 

“Huh? Oh, you’re like blind or something aren’t you?” Well... she was blunt, no doubt about that. “Huh, guess I’m really glad I came along. You there,” she said to the apparently rich boy. “Be more careful, your girlfriend can’t see them coming so you have to for her, sheesh. Gotta keep that pretty smile on her face ya know.” Mac wasn't too sure about the two dating. They seemed more like people that just met than people in an actual relationship. At least that's what he thought; he wasn't one to ask about romance, and he knew it. “Um, as for this guy.” She grabbed the boxer and pulled him in front of her. "This here is...oh, s***, dude what's your name?"

"Mac. Mac Louis," He said as he looked at her. Well, he didn't see a reason not to give out his real name. "I... didn't catch any of your names," He added awkwardly. Was it rude to say that? Sure, fire girl asked him directly, but she was obviously really rude. Gah, Japanese culture was confusing!

Archived