[MtG] [OGW] Crush of Tentacles

Rodrigo

My LGE said that OGW draft was more based on Two-Headed Giant (I think I heard that officially as well), so I figured it would have cards that say "teammate" on it. Turns out, I was not disappointed.

I am disappointed that the wording isn't "If Crush of Tentacles was surged" (to be similar to kicked), but they might be try to emphasize that the Surge is an alternate cost while Kicker is an additional cost.

The bounce is fairly priced. Costing 1 less if you cast a previous spell means 1 drop draw cards will be popular for getting additional value, and then it provides an 8/8 besides. Will be largely popular in Commander at least, but it still might be too expensive for Standard.

Surge seems like an interesting mechanic. Curious what the common cards will look like.

Probably won't have the "If ~'s surge cost was paid" kicker. Straight forward cost reductions, I imagine.

I'm a big fan of this mechanic. I've definitely designed mechanics very, very close to it before. I especially like it because, depending on context, it encourages both ramp and aggro strategies in different ways. Clever mechanic to put in this block where there are happy doses of both.

Doesn't a Crush usually imply more than one creature? If so, the flavor of this card is off.

It's an octopus's tentacles crushing a Kozilek spawn; I'm not seeing the problem here.

Just like Crush of Wurms spawns multiple Wurms, Crush of Tentacles spawns multiple tentacles; those tentacles just happen to be attached to the same octopus.

Archived