Secret Santa Anime 2015

Rodrigo

yui-01.jpg

Hello folks! We're a bit late this year, but we can't really end 2015 without the anime Secret Santa right? With many interesting shows released this year, our possible suggestions got even better and I'm sure people participating in this will have a great time watching the shows they're given~ So let's get started!

Rule 1. You cannot in any way reveal who you are choosing an anime for.
Rule 2. Anime Selection ground rules:
- Selected shows cannot be ongoing.
- Must be 25 episodes or less so that it can be finished by the deadline. (Single or multiple seasons – depending on the length of a season – of a longer show are allowed, as long as they're capable of being standalone from the rest of the show)
- Must have subtitles/translation and must be freely available (preferably legally viewable through sites like Crunchyroll or Hulu).
- You cannot select an anime knowing the recipient will not like it, however that does not mean that a recipient HAS to like the selection.
Rule 3. There are 4 deadlines to keep in mind:
- December 20: Deadline to ENTER (by posting in this thread).
- December 27: Deadline to SUBMIT ANIME to Rodrigo through PM.
- January 25: Finish WATCHING THE ANIME you were given.
- February 2: This isn't required, but I encourage participants to post their thoughts on the anime they were given, to give everyone an idea of what it is and maybe add it to their to-do lists. This time, there shouldn't be any reason to want something in return. After all, this is the season for giving.
Rule 4. To reiterate the information in Rule 3:
- Enter by filling out the application and posting it in this thread.
- You will be PM'd by me, Rodrigo, on December 20, informing you of the entrant of whom you will give an anime to.
- You will respond in the same PM (or a different one if you cannot find the original) to Rodrigo, with a message including the name of the anime you are submitting by December 27.
- You will then be PM'd by Rodrigo informing you of the anime you will watch on December 27 or 28.
Rule 5. I am the middleperson in this whole event, so if you have issues, feel free to PM me. If you're given an anime you've already seen, let me know and I'll get it straightened out as quickly as possible.
Rule 6. And if you're cool, you'll suggest an anime for this otaku here to watch that you think he might like~
- Here's My Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/CDDRodrigo
Rule 7. When filling out the application, try not to whittle down the possible shows someone can submit to you. The idea of this event isn't just to give you an anime you know you'll like, but something that you MIGHT like, but that you may not know you like until you watch it. Don't be afraid of being put out of your comfort zone a bit.
Rule 8. The Event begins today and ends on February 2, at which point the Secret Santas no longer become secret and you can reveal yourself to the recipient of your gift. I will also post a list of who-got-who either later that day, or the next day.

[spoiler=Application]

Name:

Anime List: Please post within a spoiler or link. If you do not have an anime list already made, try to list some/most of the anime you've seen.
Episode Limit: The 25 episode limit can be viewed as more of a guideline by your giver, depending on if you don't mind going higher or lower.
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?:

Other: What else do you think your secret anime santa should know about you before they offer you up a show to watch?

[spoiler=Entrants]

My MAL account is totally outdated as I havent gone onto it in years and have been planning on doing another account there for some time

So yeah:

Name:Moog

[spoiler=list of animu (not all are finished)]

Neon Genesis Evangelion

The End of Evangelion

Serial Experiments Lain

Aku No Hana

Revolutionary Girl Utena

FLCL

Kill La Kill

Night on the Galactic Railroad

Log Horizon

Gundam Wing (currently the only Gundam ive watched yet)

Amagi Brilliant Park

Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat In Space

Digimon Tamers

Steins;Gate

Show By Rock

Jewelpet

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

Dead Leaves

Cardcaptor Sakura

Heartcatch Precure

Diebuster (Yes I like Diebuster more than Gunbuster)

Maxim the Parasyte

Wolf Children

Ghost In the Shell

Kaiba

Cat Soup

Summer Wars

Nichijou

Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade

Akira

Onegai My Melody

Gurren Lagan

Episode Limit: Id prefer it to be as short as possible since ive got a fair amount on my plate over Christmas Break, but if its a longer one that somebody feels is really truly something that I could get not then I could let it slide. I guess stick to no more than 20-something episodes but if it goes into the 30s or more then I could still be okay.

What Animes/Genres Do You Not Prefer: I cant really say that theres a whole lot that I dont dig but I do stay away from most cutesy SoL "moe" shows due to how most of the time the comedy and characters feel subpar in them but I do make exceptions (Lucky Star) and even though im a horror movie lover I tend to not enjoy anime horror, most of it feels underwhelming to me.

Other: I guess a big preference of mine is definitely things that are geared more towards crazy insane action and artsy stuff as well as sci-fi too. Even though I did list a few magical girl shows I feel the need to mention that its not always my main preference, still enjoy that stuff and wouldnt mind recommended one but I dont often finish them. A huge interest of mine is material that uses symbolism, philosophy (especially existentialism) and high amounts of psychological development. Im a huge nut for more obscure art house flavoured stuff thats in a similar vein to stuff like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive. Surrealism is also a huge plus for me, a very huge plus. Though if you want to recommend me something more straightforward then I can understand that, when it comes to more straightforward material I guess Id prefer something more focused on insane over the top action since I like a show that can go all out (but im still okay with "tame" action) or a gritty drama or even just a light hearted fun to watch show with enjoyable characters. Ive also been trying to expand myself in mecha shows but I havent been able to get around in all that much of it though ive gotten a lot of recommendations from friends to watch certain shows.

Name: Thar

Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/tuffguy1992
Episode Limit: 13 is preferred, 26 is okay.
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Shonen, Mechs, and fantasy.

Other: Hard to say what I'm all into as far as anime. I enjoy some action, some SOL, horror, mystery, even romance occasionally. All depends on how interesting the characters are, which I guess I can't hold accountable to someone else from a subjective standpoint. Also good to note that I'm a sucker for gunslingers if not western themed shows in general. I'm into quirky, badass, and/or evil but lovable characters, either male or female. Shaft and Madhouse are my two favorite animators if that gives you a good idea.

Name: Nico

Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MarEne?status=7&
Episode Limit: I'll say 26, 13 is still preferred 
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Horror (on the rare instance I don't stay the hell away, I have to say it has been pretty underwhelming. It's a matter of partly being freaked out by the thought, partly wondering why I even am).

Other: I didn't put shounen longrunners in what anime I'm not interested in because it doesn't make sense to for this sort of thing, but I'm exhausting myself out every time I try to keep up with Naruto and the like, even generally liking the fillers that I've seen, and getting bored in the process, and I would very much like to stay away from things such as what Bleach has done. I think it's old enough, and long enough for me to say at least this, but I liked it enough until it felt like it should have ended, yet didn't. Then I just felt like after so long... what was the point? If something doesn't have an overarching plot (or hell, even if it did), felt like it should have ended, but then had a more lighthearted last episode, that's fine, but if it goes on even a bit longer then that... I don't feel like it. Then again, I'm sure most people would feel that way anyway, so why I'm even mentioning this is beyond me. I will say my preference towards a modern/slightly futuristic setting towards being extremely si-fi/fantasy is there, but I can enjoy things either way. There's more I could say, but this being what it is, I don't really want to stray it too far into what my main preferences are (well, this section has been going on long enough, anyway).

Anime List: [spoiler=Title here]1. Naruto (December 6, 2009)

2. Shuffle! (October 3, 2011)

3. Yu Yu Hakusho (February 4, 2012)

4. Dragon Ball Kai (April 23, 2012)

5. Death Note (July 12, 2012)

6. Bakuman (March 22, 2013)

7. Sword Art Online (April 11, 2013)

8. Rosario + Vampire (May 17, 2013)

9. Steins;Gate (July 13, 2013)

10. Clannad (July 23, 2013)

11. Clannad: After Story (July 24, 2013)

12. Code Geass (August 13, 2013)

13. Future Diary (August 29, 2013)

14. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (October 25, 2013)

15. Attack on Titan (November 7, 2013)

16. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (December 1, 2013)

17. Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (January 4, 2014)

18. Cowboy Bebop (February 1, 2014)

19. Eden of the East (February 15, 2014)

20. Fate/Zero (April 23, 2014)

21. Welcome to the NHK! (April 29, 2014)

22. Berserk (July 27, 2014)

23. Monster (September 21, 2014)

24. Another (October 25, 2014)

25. Kill La Kill (November 1, 2014)

26. Now and Then, Here and There (December 26, 2014)

27. Shiki (January 8, 2015)

28. Gurren Lagann (January 20, 2015)

29. Fullmetal Alchemist (April 8, 2015)

30. Gantz (May 11, 2015)

31. Hunter X Hunter (2011) (June 8, 2015)

32. Parasyte -The Maxim- (August 14, 2015)

33. Serial Experiments Lain (August 23, 2015)

34. Paranoia Agent (September 30, 2015)

35. Boogiepop Phantom (October 12, 2015)

36. Neon Genesis Evangelion (November 6, 2015)

37. Mushishi (November 6, 2015)

Episode Limit: Anything that's within the episode limit given in the topic post.

What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Harem/Ecchi/Hentai

Other: I want something that's really different/unique.

Name: China or Mirei
Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/zzzKannagi?status=7&
Episode Limit: 26
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Yaoi
Other: I'd prefer something with 5 beautiful main girls and a clueless loser, please. What I mean is just at this time, not in general (about what I'd prefer). I feel like there are many harems I haven't seen, so uh, it doesn't even have to be 5 girls. Just a dumb way of saying I'm interested in almost any harem I haven't seen. And if you don't know any, just go with something I might like.

Also, you forgot to mention anything about that if you ask for another, you should (I'm not going to say you have to) have said your thoughts on the first one you were given (seeing as I imagine it would make it easier to pick another one that way). I guess that's not as important, but there is a thing you forgot to mention that is important.

If by chance someone doesn't get their present by the deadline you'll send them one, but won't reveal that until it's over. I imagine you would anyway. After all, that way everyone can be pri sure to get one that way.

Name: Yui
[spoiler=Anime List]
COMPLETED:
Assassination Classroom
Claymore
DeathNote
D-Frag!
Gakkou Gurashi
Hellsing
Hellsing Ultimate
Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star
Kamen no Maid Guy
Kantai Collection
Kill La Kill
Kino's Journey
K-ON!
Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka/Is This A Zombie (both seasons)
Madoka
Monster Musume
Overlord
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
TTGL
To Aru (Index and Railgun, both seasons of each)
Venus Versus Virus
WataMote (please don't make me type the full name)
Working!! (both seasons)
Yuru Yuri (all seasons)
Zombie-Loan

ALREADY SEEN & COULDN'T STICK WITH:
Bleach
Hand Maid May
Lucky Star (still love it though)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

Episode Limit: 12-24 is the ideal since I'm one of those weirdos who downloads instead of streams.  Anything over 30 is a no-can-do.
Anime/Genres NOT interested in: Hentai, yaoi, hype trains, and idols.  Making a special note about One Punch Man specifically from all the other hype trains too because everyone and their mother is already telling me to watch it.
Other: Except for the things I don't want to see, I'm usually pretty open about stuff.  I'm probably the biggest yuri fan on the site (definitely the biggest in RP), and am pretty fond of undead characters too.  Not really sure what more to say here.  If in doubt, you could probably pluck any random member out of RP and they might be able to help if you find yourself stuck and if it's okay in the rules to ask for advice from third parties.

Name: VCR CAT

Anime List:

Completed:

Medabots

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 0 to Present

TTGL

Dennou Coil

Deathnote

Megaman NT Warrior

FLCL

Game Center CX (wait, this isn't anime?)

Episode Limit: 26

What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: "Ecchi" or pretty much anything that's all about T&A/Fan-Service, etc. Also not a big Shonen fan.

Other: Wow, there's not too many animes on there! Yeah, it's kind of a small list. I have pretty open tastes, but the biggest things that rope me into a show are strong characters and good plotlines, so keep that in mind.

Name: Lazaruz

[spoiler=Anime List]

Finished/Upp to date

Death Note

Hellsing (both the original and the OVA/Ultimate)

Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion (a.k.a the original show. Both seasons)

Kill la Kill

Pullea Magi Madoka Magica (including Rebellion)

Persona 4 Golden, The Animation

Trinity Seven (a HUGE exception to my "not interested in fanservice" rule)

Attack on Titan

Yu-Gi-Oh! (including season zero)

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

Rosario + Vampire (another exception, but binge watched)

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni / When the Seagulls Cry (Specifically just the anime adaptation. I have a loose familiarity with the rest of the material)

Started

Fairy Tail

Steins;Gate

Toaru Majutsu no Index (finished season 1, but not 2)

Love Live! School Idol Project

Hell Girl (leaning on becomming a Dropped)

Fullmetal Alchemist (I'm hesitant to list this as a started, because I remember nothing from it, meaning I need to restart)

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V (leaning on becomming a Dropped)

Dropped

Bleach

Highschool DxD (Keep it as far away from me as physically possible)

Sword Art Online (I will not go near that thing regardless of what season or reason)

Episode Limit: 25 and bellow (I have a pretty tight work schedule, so anything above 25 I dont think I'll have time for)

What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Slice of life, Hentai, Yuri, Yaoi (basicly if the primary focus is the fanservice or has no sense of a directly overhanging plot, get it out of my face). Also Sport.

Not at all interested in anything Naruto, as I take a rather big issue with their vision of a "ninja", aswell as the world in general.

Also the bandwagon stuff, so while I dont doubt it's good, please no things like One Punch Man.

I will also have to do a special exception for Danganronpa, The Animation. Because while I've not seen it, I've played the game start to finish, and (to my knowledge) it's the exact same story told again almost shot for shot.

Other: While I did include Slice of Life as a genre I'm not interested in, I've found myself far more openminded about it then I thought, as I can grow to like it if, for instance, it make me think like mushishi. There needs to be something about that world or its characters for me to grab ahold of, and atleast a little bit of plot, otherwise please keep it away from me.

While Comedy is not up there as a genre I'm not interested in, it's not something I typically want someone else to pick an entry for me, as my sense of humour is fickle to say the least.

And despite what the above might imply, I'm rather open minded, so dont be afraid to throw me a curveball if you think I'll like it. I'm allways eager to try new ones.

Just give me some strong, like-able characters, and keep the fanserive away, and I'm more or less good to go :P

I'm also a bit partial towards Mystery, as a genre.

looks interesting

Name: Z-Rin

Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/hexanort?status=2&
Episode Limit: 26 (no need to count sequels)
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Ecchi/Sport/Mechs/Gore/Yaoi/Yuri (undertone is fine, as long its not really happening)

Other: Though i usually limit myself to SOL, i think i'm fine with most type of anime, so as long its not in above genre,feel free to give any kind of anime, also i dont mind most of the archetype that people hate in the anime like fanservice (as long its not too much),moe, episodic/no plot anime, tsundere, generic MC and others

Name: Aez and/or Kinka
[spoiler=Anime List:]

Let's see here....

Soul Eater (NOT, too)

7 Deadly Sins

Heavan's Lost Property

Yugioh GX (re-watching because I need it)

Shuffle!

My Love Story!!

Angel Beats

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Not the movies, though)

Black Butler (seasons 1-2, haven't seen circus)

Deadman Wonderland

Yuki Yuna is a Hero

Red Garden

Hell Girl (most of the first season, am open to re-watching 1st season)

Mushishi (first season)

Chaotic (That counts, right?)

Angelic Layer

Rosario + Vampire

Gatchaman Crowds (and some of Insight, open to watching insight)

Akame Ga Kill

No Game No Life

Selector Infected Wixoss

Day Break Illusion

Bakugan (1st season only)

Shiki

Dangan Ronpa

Popotan

Gourmet Girl Graffiti

Spice and Wolf

Negima

Shangrila (open to rewatching)

Sword Art Online

XXXholic

The Devil is a Part-Timer

Sekirei

Mega Man Star Force

Baka and Test (season 1)

Cat Planet Cuties

Girls Bravo

My Bride is a Mermaid

C Control

Sasami Magical Girls Club

Princess Jellyfish

Okami-sana and her 7 friends

Fairy Tail

There's probably more but I can't remember/ find them/ care.

Episode Limit: preferably something under 20 since I'll be gone for a week after Christmas

What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Sports, Ecchi, Heram (ONLY if paired with Ecchi), Mechs, Gore, Romance (only if it is the central plot and nothing else), One Punch, anything with gross zombies, hentai, yuri, yaoi, etc.

Other: 

I really really really really like tournament anime. A lot. Find me a good one I haven't watched and I should be good. Also if there's magic 11/10 I'm down. 

Also I have both netflix and Hulu Plus so I have acess to a lot of anime.

We're between seasons so I had time to watch the anime I was given very quickly.  I finished up said anime - Trinity Seven - about an hour ago, and since Rod encouraged us to post our thoughts on what we got, here goes...

My secret santa, whoever you were, you chose well.  It felt almost like I was watching some wacky kid of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka and Kill La Kill (the former being possibly my all-time favorite anime), so how can I possibly dislike it?  It had a knack for switching between an ecchi-comedy show and an action one on a dime, and people who know me know that's a trait I like in my anime.  It makes for a ride full of surprises and laughs across the whole 12 episodes.

Each character in the cast was very distinct from one another, each bringing their own brand of silly antics into the cast as well as their own method of kicking ass when it got time to fight.  Plot was maybe a bit bumpy sometimes (I saw one of the late-show surprises coming all the way from the second episode or so, for instance), but if there's such a thing as a perfect plot, I've never seen it.  The soundtrack is also a point worth bringing up with anime, and in Trinity Seven's case, I liked it and it kept with the flow of the show well and included one of my new favorite EDs.

Overall, I give Trinity Seven a solid 8/10.  7 feels too low, and 9 feels like I might be overselling it a bit, so 8.

[spoiler=Levi is best girl]2CY7Ct5.png

So Im now done Paranoia Agent, been a long time since ive finished off an anime this quickly (as I just started it yesterday or the day before). Well that was an amazing trip, lots of symbolism, psychology, philosophy and surrealism. The structure felt a lot like Mulholland Drive since it was more of a mystery with several character threads thrown at you while giving you hints of the surrealism here and there to build up to an insane ending, I really enjoy it when people present surrealism in that manner where its more of a slow build up, really creates atmosphere and tension. It also reminded me a bit of Serial Experiments Lain (my second favorite show of all time) though id agree that despite their similarities they are both completely different shows. Out of the two I personally enjoyed Lain more due to it being much more ambiguous and higher focus on its visual experience and existentialism, bur Paranoia Agent is really great too. There are a few things that I didnt really like about it like the one episode where there was women talking about Shonen Bat, that was so funking boring to sit through and some of the fantasy elements were too forced and ridiculous but those dont really take too much away from it since everything else was done greatly.

Overall a 9/10

tumblr_m7pgpuOisY1qjles6o1_500.gif

I really want a Maromi plush

I just finished Barakamon, which was a pretty good pick for my tastes, as I like the slice of life type of stuff. But yeah I enjoyed it, nice and light, comedy wasn't too forced, likable characters (even Sensei, who's supposed to be an jabroni). Maybe I've just been watching heavy-hitting stuff lately, but I thought there could be a little more drama - some romance, more conflict, something. It was truly a slice of life, and it got a little spacey and long-winded at times. The further it progressed though, the more I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the final few episodes, as there was a bit more going on. I wished there was a second season, or something; after the conclusion, I think I'd have more of an appreciation for further slice of life island adventures.

But overall, thanks, it was definitely a good watch!

I swear I saw a volume of the manga in store… My given anime, Happy Happy Clover, we'll first off, it’s cute as heck, no doubt about that. The eyes are just as unrealistically huge as any shoujo would be. Simple, but fun adventures, but more often than not have an important overall theme, and I guess it isn't all fun and games.  However, It’s weird, it doesn't feel nearly as preachy for the things it has every right to be. It’s there, but unlike the really kiddy stuff I remember as a kid, it isn't in your face about telling you what you should and should not do. So it is pretty smart in its story structure. 

I will say this seems like it would be a good gateway of sorts for younger children. The majority of them do actually have a chance at being fascinated by stories involving mostly or all animal characters, that unfortunately turns into the minority as people get older, despite how adorable it is. Including me, it’s just personally really hard to get engaged in something like this. I’m glad that I for the most part actually was able to, especially the midpoint, but it kind of drifted off around the end to me. So I'm thinking if it was even a bit longer (and I’d have found it. So basically, if it was dubbed), Hamtaro might have had some serious competition. I am sure I would have loved it when I was a kid. So all in all I would give it a 7/10.

Well that was interesting. My given anime was BTOOOM!, and I have to say, I would no watch this under normal circumstances. Mainly because that was dark as hell by my standards. But I liked it. I liked the idea of the different bombs, and all the psycholigical elements that cropped up. I didn't like the ending, simply because I like a lil resolution. I also didn't like the fuckin twists in the last 2 episodes. Overall, though, I thought this was a solid anime, at least up until that terrible ending.

Now I have the motivation to post!

My anime was Death Parade (12 epi's)

My initial expectations were interesting. I hadn't heard about it before, and the little snapshots I read, as well as the style, and the first couple minutes, all had me believe that this was going to be some kind of edge-lord anime that all the emo weeaboo's would be fawning over because it's SUP3R D4RK. Then I hit the OP and I wasn't sure what to expect.

Thankfully, I was surprised and impressed. It's a really solid animoo that plays on some really tough themes in really good ways and really gets the feels flowing. Solid themes, good characters, and some very, very well-written interactions.

That said, I felt it was too short. There were side-characters and a couple sub-plots that I feel just weren't developed enough, and there was a lot of room to explore the setting and the characters more. What I saw was excellent, but for the most part it felt like it could've used more; and I'm not saying that like "No why is it over"; I just mean that it felt too short for what it was. But, what it was was still really good.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived