EDH Banlist Principles, in the context Prophet of Kruphix

Prophet-of-Kruphix-Theros-Spoiler.jpg

It really isn't a secret that the primary format I play is EDH. Now, in EDH, there are many cards people say should be banned (my playgroup is one of many that has its own Banlist, so I actually have power over these things to an extent) and out of all of said cards, the one that bothers me the most is this.

Now, I certainly agree the Prophet is an insanely good card. I would even concede that it veers on the side of broken. The fact that it makes up for the mana investment so quickly is amazing, and the effect scales up with number of players, provided you can maintain a hand. But really, that isn't what it takes for a card to be banned in EDH.

Like, let's take a look at what is banned:
-Power 9, excluding Time Twister: Each of these swings the game far too much in the favor of one player, promoting wins that are faster than the format is meant to have. Channel also fits this.
-Braids, Balance, Sylvan Primordial, Sundering Titan, etc: These attack resources too heavily, extending games while decreasing actual playing. Arguments are often made that Armageddon should be banned for this reason, and to an extent, I agree.
-Coalition Victory, Biorhythm: These cards are just way too easy to win with. Instant win cards without an upkeep trigger (which either promotes clever deck building to grant flash, or creates a turn cycle where everyone works together to stop this single player from winning) just end games abruptly with little satisfaction.
-Sway of the Stars, Worldfire: Starting over is annoying. Starting over into a game without enough life to let people get going is bullshit.
-Painter's Servant, Protean Hulk, etc: Blah blah combos blah blah.

I didn't cover the entire list, but I think I captured the gist of how the EDH Banlist is constructed.

The people who are in charge of the official EDH banlist make some strange choices for cards but I won't get into that. I really don't think prophet is that overpowered. It's easy enough to just kill but the window to do it in is pretty small if the player actually tries to protect it. There are a lot of cards that have the same game warping effect as prophet and are much harder to get rid of. I know playing against an active prophet is a pretty miserable experience. The card gives you tons of mana but It doesn't actually win the game the moment it hits the board like some of the other banned creatures.

All in all, I think prophet is fine.

unban Sylvan primordal pls

What really bugs me about the Sylvan Primordial ban is how many people are like "Sylvan Primordial isn't the problem, it is all Deadeye, ban Deadeye instead blah blah"

I mean, Deadeye is insane, and pretty much every use for it is horrific, but it had nothing to do with Sylvan Primordial being banned.

What really bugs me about the Sylvan Primordial ban is how many people are like "Sylvan Primordial isn't the problem, it is all Deadeye, ban Deadeye instead blah blah"

I mean, Deadeye is insane, and pretty much every use for it is horrific, but it had nothing to do with Sylvan Primordial being banned.

deadeye is funking bonkers and I wouldn't blink an eye if it got banned

but at the same time it's one of my favorite EDH cards, especially when Maelstrom Wanderer is my commander.

....am I a bad person?

deadeye is funking bonkers and I wouldn't blink an eye if it got banned

but at the same time it's one of my favorite EDH cards, especially when Maelstrom Wanderer is my commander.

....am I a bad person?

My main wincon in Damia is Deadeye, Palinchron, and Venser. You and Rod are saints by comparison.

Deadeye is one of the most absurd cards in EDH. Like, I don't think you can discuss cards to ban in EDH without bringing it up.

Personally a card I don't think will ever get banned (or really should for that matter) but just frustrates me to no end if Cyclonic Rift. It so often returns like +10 cards per player and then they have to discard a bunch. I just hate it and think its super stupid.

When you gain flash on your creatures and get your mana back each turn, you're roughly taking additional turns when other players take their turn. It's downright disgusting in the right decks, like Horde of Notions.

Not to mention when a Prophet enters the game, the game quickly turns into getting rid of Prophet ASAP before its controller gets too much value out of it. And then someone clones or takes control of the damn thing...

Not to mention when a Prophet enters the game, the game quickly turns into getting rid of Prophet ASAP before its controller gets too much value out of it. And then someone clones or takes control of the damn thing...

That happens all the time in my playgroup. But I guess we're to blame, with our Wanderer, Mimeoplasm, Sidisi, Zegana and Animar decks always running this card...

I've honestly haven't noticed how annoying Prophet was until Ezuri got added to my groups commander line ups. The only other GUX deck was my Animar and Prophet so rarely came out when it got used for some reason. And yea, the copy/stealing thing is pretty amazing to watch, especially when one of my friends has a "steal all the things" deck".

I've honestly haven't noticed how annoying Prophet was until Ezuri got added to my groups commander line ups. The only other GUX deck was my Animar and Prophet so rarely came out when it got used for some reason. And yea, the copy/stealing thing is pretty amazing to watch, especially when one of my friends has a "steal all the things" deck".

It's all fun and games until the Azami deck controls a Prophet of Kruphix.

I've thought a long time to find a way to say my thoughts in the shortest way possible, and this seems to be the way:

The problem with making a banlist for a casual, multiplayer format is that each casual group will want its own different power level and will find certain cards broken that other groups won't. As such, the discussion of if Prophet of Kruphix should be on the banlist or not will usually draw its roots into a battle of different tastes for how the format should be.
Since the people in charge of the banlist want as many people to play the format as possible, they'll design the banlist as high power level as possible while removing cards that discourage players from entering or continuing in the format (usually instant-win/kingmaker cards, resource-attacking cards, etc.). Prophet of Kruphix doesn't actively discourage people from playing, so it's seen as fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived