Overreach [OOC, Signups, PG-16]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

If you're up for stealing Durendal's character, I could send you the stats.

Eh, I almost would, but I'd rather not take someone else's character for two reasons: One, Durendal had an idea in mind with how their character would act and what decisions they would make, and I wouldn't keep that original vision for the character. It would also shut them out if they came back, however likely that is. Secondly, I would prefer to make my own character since it lets me RP a character that I understand and know, which would result in less awkward RP than a borrowed character, which means more fun for everyone. If it's totally necessary that I take their character, I might , but I'd really prefer if I didn't have to.

One question on meta, would someone making a character in-universe know what the colors mean? Like, is there an About page on the Overreach website that talks about the characteristics of each color, or is it just a 'pick a color you like' sort of deal? Whether they know, for example, that Brown is a garbage color or Violet is the debuff color would affect how my character would choose what they do.

Other than that, looks awesome! I tried SAO and Log Horizon RPs a few years ago and they didn't go so well, so here's to hoping that this takes off!

EDIT: Are weapons class-locked, as in the only way to be nonmagic ranged is to play Ranger, or can other classes use ranged weapons too?

Well, we can't progress without Durendal's character moving, because they trapped someone with them.

Think of it like what happens with certain modern games- a casual player wouldn't know a thing, but for someone who was a hacker or something the information is indeed hidden on the advertising website.

Each class is +1 to a specific stat at each level up, determines your starting weapon, and determines your ability pool until Level 20.

*Looks at IC topic* Ah, I see what you mean, they're trapped in dialog. I'm not really too keen on playing their character, it's totally unlike something I would RP in pretty much every way. As much as I hate being difficult, I don't think I would really enjoy playing them. Couldn't you say they had an connection blip and were forced to log out? If Durendal has no chance of coming back, that might be the best thing to do. I'm sorry, but I don't think I would bring out their character, or enjoy RPing them, so i'd probably get bored with the RP and quit. I know how childish that sounds, but this RP looks great and it would suck for it to be frozen because of one inactive player, I hope you understand.

Well, we can't progress without Durendal's character moving, because they trapped someone with them.

Think of it like what happens with certain modern games- a casual player wouldn't know a thing, but for someone who was a hacker or something the information is indeed hidden on the advertising website.

Each class is +1 to a specific stat at each level up, determines your starting weapon, and determines your ability pool until Level 20.

So the thing that the Arcana determines is the post-20 Ability Pool! How neat.

I'll ask the RPers. It's actually a pretty solid idea.

I was afraid you would get mad at me for suggesting it, so that's a relief. I have the zodiacs, class, tarot, and color decided, along with a bit of back story. I'll make a proper app sometime tomorrow.

As for what you said about class spread, I'm probably going to go with assassin since ranger seems too dedicated ranged for what I have in mind, and thief is already accounted for. Might completely redo my character idea and make a swordsman if that rounds out the group better...

Or not, on second thought.

Some quick questions though. There's only humans for characters, right? No other races like kitsunes, elves, etc.? And another thing, are masks something available for character creation, and cloaks for that matter? Or will I have to buy that and have it as an item with stats and potential bonuses depending on the color? The latter sounds like something cool to work towards, but it's your call obviously.

And the final thing: how hard would it be to get the info on the colors? Is it as simple as looking through the game's website, or do you need to dig through the site's source code?

Okay, here's each question answered, one by one.

Good. I'll reboot (heh) the RP tomorrow, and DM-boot BLKKK-Knight.

You got it. Once your app is up, I'll send you your stats. By the by, Assassins get +1 RFX, or evasion/accuracy, per Level.

Correct. No other playable races. There are ways to become less/more than human (depending on how you look at it), but those are after you've created a human character, and are a long ways away.

Masks and cloaks are unavailable at character creation. Everyone is able to customize the outfit they have when all clothing items are dequipped, though: that's what everyone's outfit is. These can't conceal your face, though.

Think of it this way: on the site, behind text explaining launch dates, the info is all there . . . in Cesarean-squared Spanish. Which is still gibberish, needing to be read phonetically . . . and then the info is in Italian.

Essentially, someone with a sharp eye and too much free time could decode it (especially on the pages of the site with little text, like the "Contact Us" page), but it's too much effort, in two languages most Americans, Canadians, and Japanese aren't familiar with. Trolling creator, remember?

Okay, here's each question answered, one by one.

Good. I'll reboot (heh) the RP tomorrow, and DM-boot BLKKK-Knight.

You got it. Once your app is up, I'll send you your stats. By the by, Assassins get +1 RFX, or evasion/accuracy, per Level.

Correct. No other playable races. There are ways to become less/more than human (depending on how you look at it), but those are after you've created a human character, and are a long ways away.

I'm guessing something based on the zodiacs chosen? I like the sound of that. That's going to be fun...

Masks and cloaks are unavailable at character creation. Everyone is able to customize the outfit they have when all clothing items are dequipped, though: that's what everyone's outfit is. These can't conceal your face, though.

Alright. Thought so, but it's worth asking. But it is something that can be bought in game, yes?

Think of it this way: on the site, behind text explaining launch dates, the info is all there . . . in Cesarean-squared Spanish. Which is still gibberish, needing to be read phonetically . . . and then the info is in Italian. Essentially, someone with a sharp eye and too much free time could decode it (especially on the pages of the site with little text, like the "Contact Us" page), but it's too much effort, in two languages most Americans, Canadians, and Japanese aren't familiar with. Trolling creator, remember?

So it's something that some people on Reddit or whatever could probably figure out, but isn't super obvious. My char would try to find out as much as they could about the game, so if other people figured it out and posted it somewhere fairly well-known (like the Overreach subreddit, hehe) they would find it.

Thanks for answering all the questions!

Okay cool! Seeing as you did this for someone else, could you give me a hint as to what I would pick to get a kitsune/half-beast character? The zodiacs and tarot I have down currently are Justice, Dragon, and Aires. This might be odd for an Assassin (I see it being pretty tanky) and probably wouldn't result in that. Then again, it might be kind of funny to see what mess of a character that combo makes.

On a side note, you want the app sometime today, right?

The problem is that contracting "partials" (as they will be called later on) is a possibility for everyone, and essentially just changes, depending on quests you take. Some questlines are easier or harder to obtain, depending on your Zodiac/Tarot setup (for example, Emperors can get the option of vampirism starting at Level 16, while Fools have to wait for Level 48), but honestly there's nothing stopping one from waiting.

However, if you want the kitsune option specifically as early as possible, the Tower and Chariot can both start that quest at Level 17, and an Sagittarius or Taurus will have a skill that makes said quest easier.

The problem is that contracting "partials" (as they will be called later on) is a possibility for everyone, and essentially just changes, depending on quests you take. Some questlines are easier or harder to obtain, depending on your Zodiac/Tarot setup (for example, Emperors can get the option of vampirism starting at Level 16, while Fools have to wait for Level 48), but honestly there's nothing stopping one from waiting.

However, if you want the kitsune option specifically as early as possible, the Tower and Chariot can both start that quest at Level 17, and an Sagittarius or Taurus will have a skill that makes said quest easier.

I was considering both the Tower and the Chariot for the tarot, not gonna lie. Going to change that, but I'm keeping the Aires zodiac since neither of those really fit the character.

I'm deducing that you have a table/list of all the abilities and whatnot for each selection, which is awesome. Never really done a big roleplay like this before, so I'm looking forward to it. Getting an app ready, so I'll put it up when I finish.

One thing about the starting outfits for the classes, is there one for both genders or are they different? And what does the assasin's look like? I'll try to find a picture that looks similar, or even *gasp* use my horrible drawing skills to do a custom picture.

Archived