Group Dynamics

Tinkerer

I'm thinking about hosting an RP. My normal inclination is to allow a great amount of separation between the RPers so that they can so their own thing and not necessarily be "hindered" by others.

However, looking at RPs I've joined, and thinking back to tabletop RPGs or even LARPs I've participated in, it seems that most of them are focused at having the characters stick together and play off each other. In the RP I'm planning, I think I'd prefer closer group dynamics than several solo adventurers.

...however, I've never done it this way and I was wondering if people (preferably those with experience hosting these kinds of RPs), could offer some advice on that particular front.

Each character needs at least one other character to play off of, that's just how writing works.

However, with large casts, they actually function best if shattered into a bunch of tiny pieces. Ideally, 3-6 characters comprise a group. Any fewer and characters don't progress well. Any more and individuals become harder to keep track of.

Archived