[MtG] [Speculation] Eternal Masters, Conspiracy 2 Reprints

As you probably know by now, this summer we're getting two major reprint-focused sets: Eternal Masters in July and Conspiracy 2: Take the Throne in August. Both of these sets are ripe with opportunities to reprint rare, powerful and expensive cards. (EMA already has spoiled Force of Will and Wasteland, and the original Conspiracy reprinted such favorites as StP, Pernicious Deed and Exploration.) So, my question to you all is: what cards do you expect/hope to see reprinted in each of these sets?

My hopes for Eternal Masters as an EDH player:

• Containment Priest
  • Swords to Plowshares
  • Show and Tell
  • True-Name Nemesis
  • Chainer's Edict
  • Demonic Tutor
  • Imperial Recruiter
  • Toxic Deluge
  • Regrowth
  • Sylvan Library
  • Three Visits
  • Baleful Strix
  • Bloodbraid Elf
  • Vindicate
  • Animar, Soul of Elements
  • Kaalia of the Vast

Crucible of Worlds needs a reprint. It was printed not that long ago in 10th edition and to my knowledge only really sees vintage play yet has a $70 price tag.

It sees Modern and Legacy sideboard play, and is a Commander staple in many new, popular strategies, like Titania and Gitrog. While I believe $70 is too much, it is a card that demands a big price tag for its uniqueness and usefullness, as well as demand.

If anyone's curious, MTGGoldfish did an article predicting the mythics of Eternal Masters, and a follow up talking about rares/uncommons. (tl;dr - Total value of one of each mythic at the moment should be between $450 and $600, and expect around 15 rares to be above bulk.) It delves into how price spreads and expected value works, so it's a good read either way. Anyhoo, here's their prediction list:

Mythics

• Force of Will (already known)
  • Jace, the Mind Sculptor
  • Rishadan Port
  • Umezawa's Jitte
  • Natural Order
  • Dack Fayden
  • Sensei's Divining Top
  • Land Tax
  • Demonic Tutor
  • Nahiri, the Lithomancer
  • Necropotence
  • Past in Flames
  • Avenger of Zendikar
  • Worldgorger Dragon
  • Coercive Portal
Rares
  • Wasteland (already known)
  • Flusterstorm
  • Vampiric Tutor
  • Enlightened Tutor
  • Stoneforge Mystic
  • Ancient Tomb
  • Toxic Deluge
  • Green Sun's Zenith
  • Shardless Agent
  • Mystical Tutor
  • Worldly Tutor

It sees Modern and Legacy sideboard play, and is a Commander staple in many new, popular strategies, like Titania and Gitrog. While I believe $70 is too much, it is a card that demands a big price tag for its uniqueness and usefullness, as well as demand.

I don't know any major Modern decks that play it. Commander would certainly drive the price, but Doubling Season is just as big a card there and its still only $40. I do get the uniqueness point though.

Actually, in looking at its price history, its only recently the card has seen its massive spike. A year ago it was only mid $30s. Curious what caused it since stuff like Legacy would have already been known, and Titania only caused a small bump. BFZ is when its started inflating like crazy.

I don't know any major Modern decks that play it. Commander would certainly drive the price, but Doubling Season is just as big a card there and its still only $40. I do get the uniqueness point though.

Actually, in looking at its price history, its only recently the card has seen its massive spike. A year ago it was only mid $30s. Curious what caused it since stuff like Legacy would have already been known, and Titania only caused a small bump. BFZ is when its started inflating like crazy.

The price increase is because of Legacy lands and vintage shops. Tron variants play it sometimes in modern too.

So, I've seen it pointed out that Wasteland is numbered 248/249 meaning one of the 18 cards behind it in alphabetical order is in the set. The choices are

Wastes

Waterveil Cavern

Watery Grave

Westvale Abbey

Windbrisk Heights

Winding Canyons

Wind-Scarred Crag

Windswept Heath

Wintermoon Mesa

Wirewood Lodge

Wizards' School

Wooded Bastion

Wooded Foothills

Woodland Cemetery

Woodland Stream

Yavimaya Coast

Yavimaya Hollow

Zoetic Cavern

I slashed out the ones I have no shot which is most of them. Bolded the others to make them stand out more. Personally my money is the shock lands being reprinted since its been a little since they were and they can't do duel lands.

TnQRX6v.gif

A lot of them are junk. IMO the standard should be vs. the Shock lands since if they are going to reprint a land cycle it would need to be better than that and most aren't. The fetch lands would be, but would need the full cycle and with 2 ally ones past Wasteland we can rule them out. A few interesting stand alone ones on that list are also on the reserve list so we can rule them out as well.

A lot of them are junk. IMO the standard should be vs. the Shock lands since if they are going to reprint a land cycle it would need to be better than that and most aren't. The fetch lands would be, but would need the full cycle and with 2 ally ones past Wasteland we can rule them out. A few interesting stand alone ones on that list are also on the reserve list so we can rule them out as well.

And what about filter lands? Or hell, Winding Canyon?

And what about filter lands? Or hell, Winding Canyon?

IMO filter lands are worse than shocks. They certainly have a better shot than most of the lands on that list, but shocks at least make for bad alpha duel replacements, filters do not. Since they are trying to help legacy that is the best they can do.

Winding Canyon is one of the lands on the reserve list. The other is Hollow btw.

Wirewood Lodge is plauseable if they make elves an archtype. Your theory on shocks is pretty sound though.

I can totally see Lodge getting reprinted. Elves are a popular legacy strategy and while Lodge doesn't get played in legacy they can include it to support limited. 

They are worse than shocks. They have also never been reprinted, excluding expeditions.

The lack of a reprint does help their case, but I feel like they could pretty easily be reprinted in standard. They are one of the more powerful duel land cycles, but they aren't unreasonable.

Don't get me wrong, the shocks can too, but I feel the shocks match the goal of the product more.

Archived