[MtG] Spring 2016 Announcement Day

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcement-day-2016-05-16

- We'll be getting big announcements like this twice a year.

- Next block's sets (fall '16/winter '17) are named "Kaladesh" and "Æther Revolt." Art for new planeswalker has been posted (her name is Saheeli Rai).

- Commander 2016 will feature a cycle of four-color commanders.

- "Planeswalker decks" will replace intro decks, two per set. Each will contain new cards that aren't printed elsewhere but will be Standard legal, including a new planeswalker and spells flavorfully related to them.

- Planechase Anthology is being printed, in the same vein of Duel Decks Anthology. Both PC1 and PC2 are included. No news on promos, but it's likely they'll be included based on set count.

- Conspiracy 2: Take the Throne will also be sold in "draft packs" of three booster packs, MSRP of $12.

- Next Duel Deck is Ob vs. Nissa.

SAHEELI RAI

done

also kaladesh

much yay

Edit: Also,

Creative Consultants:

Jisi Kottakuzhiyil

Sandeep Kedlaya

Narayanan Raghunathan

Sathish Ramamurthy

Basha Mohideen

Trinadh Nemani

Glad that they're embracing the Indian influences.

Edit: LOOK AT THOSE SET SYMBOLS THEY'RE SO GOOD. All of them are actually up, bar Eldritch Moon, which is still hidden.

KLD_SYMBOL.pngAER_SYMBOL.png

I'm an artifact fan, so I'm all for Kaladesh, and it was one of the more interesting worlds featured in Origins.

I'm guessing Saheeli will be an artificer planeswalker, which would be neat; Tezzeret could use a friend.

Regarding Planechase, maybe they'll finally print a plane card for Esper and complete the Alara suite, and maybe Tarkir, Kaladesh and Theros will get some too.

As for Eldritch Moon, they did say that the set symbol would give away what the Eldritch Moon actually is, so it makes sense they'd still hide it (even though many people already suspect it to be Emrakul at this point).

Oh, and does this mean that Chandra is now retroactively whitewashed or something like that?

When they showed off Kaladesh a number of people brought this up. Her dad looks white enough, but she is PRETTY white given her mother's skin ton. Although this is an area WAY outside my knowledge. I just kind of assume white looking people exist on the plane too.

Kaladesh was a REALLY sweet looking plane so I'm super happy to see it get explored so soon after Origins.

The set symbols for Kaladesh being shown before Moon more or less shows that its going to be a major spoiler.

New intro packs is a really brilliant and obvious move. When I started I just bought a bunch of the ones that were out and built decks from them. Curious where the power level will end up for the planeswalkers and other cards. Might not be good enough for Standard but might be commander playable.

4 color commanders. It finally happened. Shame I have no interest in making one, but I'm curious what we'll end up getting.

New Anthology product is neat.

The planeswalker vs. decks staying around is sweet though I do feel like having it be the one for the block a year earlier is KIND of bad.

Draft packs are an interesting idea. In fact my friend had something similar a while ago.

Anyway, new planeswalker's art

RtLVp0E.jpg

When they showed off Kaladesh a number of people brought this up. Her dad looks white enough, but she is PRETTY white given her mother's skin ton. Although this is an area WAY outside my knowledge. I just kind of assume white looking people exist on the plane too.

Kaladesh was a REALLY sweet looking plane so I'm super happy to see it get explored so soon after Origins.

The set symbols for Kaladesh being shown before Moon more or less shows that its going to be a major spoiler.

New intro packs is a really brilliant and obvious move. When I started I just bought a bunch of the ones that were out and built decks from them. Curious where the power level will end up for the planeswalkers and other cards. Might not be good enough for Standard but might be commander playable.

4 color commanders. It finally happened. Shame I have no interest in making one, but I'm curious what we'll end up getting.

New Anthology product is neat.

The planeswalker vs. decks staying around is sweet though I do feel like having it be the one for the block a year earlier is KIND of bad.

Draft packs are an interesting idea. In fact my friend had something similar a while ago.

Anyway, new planeswalker's art

RtLVp0E.jpg

Looking like blue mana there, though could be white, or both.

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/commander-2016

You read it right: we're getting FOUR FOIL Commander cards in addition to the oversized one and the 100 cards from the deck itself.

Wizards listened to us

That's pretty sick. No longer will we have to wait on the judge promo roulette for favorite commanders to get foil reprints. Really don't know why this wasn't thought of earlier.

Archived