Weirdest Anime/Manga

Now we all know Japan churns out weird stuff in general and we love it for it. But even amongst anime and manga, there are some really weird series that stand out among the rest, both good and bad.

What are some really odd series you've come across? Examples are welcome.

I've said this before here and there, but I think Toriko has gotten really strange.

[spoiler=Like these random pages]

10.png

19.png

[spoiler=Or this from this week]

Htgu8Yw.png

I also recently read Biomega and read this insanity.

jojo's also a given

Cromartie High School is pretty fantastic. It's a high school comedy full of delinquents and such wacky characters as a robot, a gorilla, and a guy who looks like Freddie Mercury.

And of course there's Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, courtesy of our friends over at Gainax, you probably already know that one.

I'd like to throw Samurai Flamenco into the ring.  I was expecting a really cool story about Japanese vigilantes but then.....

It just got crazy...like in Gurren Lagan there's an escalation of crazy.  It's already crazy to begin with and you accept all the absurdity that eventually comes into play.  But Samurai Flamenco takes that concept...and jumps the shark a bit...I loved the anime, but the escalation is a bit...forced and awkward.

Oh and it's also real weird

I'd like to throw Samurai Flamenco into the ring.  I was expecting a really cool story about Japanese vigilantes but then.....

It just got crazy...like in Gurren Lagan there's an escalation of crazy.  It's already crazy to begin with and you accept all the absurdity that eventually comes into play.  But Samurai Flamenco takes that concept...and jumps the shark a bit...I loved the anime, but the escalation is a bit...forced and awkward.

Oh and it's also real weird

S A M U R A I F L A M E N C O

THAT sheet

IS funking WILD

THERES NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT, LIKE HOLY sheet

GIVE THE BABY SEVEN EPISODES AND IT GOES funking DOWN

I swear to god it's my AOTY, whichever year it aired. You can't funking beat Samflam.

All things considered, 50% of sports/competition manga.

Although special mention to Legend of Koizumi. Cant top the legendary Super Aryan.

Isn't that the manga where all political decisions were decided by Majong, and the Nazis and Hitler moved to the moon? And they had scouters to measure people's Majong playing skills?

And Hitler going Legendary Super Aryan?

4152721-3937089324-766.j.jpg

Powerpuff Girls Z gets pretty strange sometimes. Like, imagine the wacky shenanigans of the original series combined with Japan.

And when it's not being completely serious, Is This A Zombie? is hella strange. I mean, the premise is a guy who gets brought back as a zombie by a necormancer, and he also accidentally steals the magic from a magical girl and transforms into a magical boy, but still in the girl outfit so he's crossdressing. There are also vampire ninjas, some of which fight monsters using ramen.

I would mention more symbolic artsy surrealist type of stuff like The End of Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Cat Soup etc. but to label those as just "weird" to me feels wrong since there is a lot of meaning behind what they do and theyre not just insane and over the top for the sake of being it.

So with that considered ill drop a mention for two of my favorite films of all time that deserve more attention.

Definitely not insane like the others mentioned here this one is more meant to look beautiful and is loaded with atmosphere, some people found it too slow for the first half hour until the train ride starts, but I was okay with the beginning. Definitely worth the watch if you want a very visual eye candy type of experience.

This one is best summed as David Lynch meets Hello Kitty, far more of an acquired taste and is quite surreal and difficult to comprehend but well worth the watch if you dont mind the mindrape and spending hours trying to get what happened. Takes a few watches to fully understand what goes on.

Archived