[Finished]CC Monthly Series [June 2016] | Currently judging

Hmm. I'll need to reconsider how much one is permitted to push.

My train of thought went, "The archetype has 2 good monsters considered bosses on their own, let's make a third one stepped up above the other two, but also not make it too similar to the other ones, while ironing out a few flaws that a Deck that's the pure archetype would have."

Maybe I should've instead went with "It's got 2 monsters of boss tier that can now be pulled out with ease with their new toy, so let's put a third option that should be on par with them."

So, now that I've both over and under designed a boss... what makes an impressive but fair boss?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. I'll need to reconsider how much one is permitted to push.

My train of thought went, "The archetype has 2 good monsters considered bosses on their own, let's make a third one stepped up above the other two, but also not make it too similar to the other ones, while ironing out a few flaws that a Deck that's the pure archetype would have."

Maybe I should've instead went with "It's got 2 monsters of boss tier that can now be pulled out with ease with their new toy, so let's put a third option that should be on par with them."

So, now that I've both over and under designed a boss... what makes an impressive but fair boss?

Exodia.

=3

I mentioned this in your grading, but how did you intend for this card to be summoned? Nomi, like what I graded this to be, or Semi (you can at least revive it later after its initial condition is met)?

Like I mentioned in the OP, I did not read your flavor notes while grading. If you all would like to mention the idea behind your cards now, feel free to do so.

I had intended it to be Nomi from the start. I just chopped away at the name of the Maori god of war Tūmatauenga to get Matau, Aspect of Warfare.

As for the effects, it makes sense for a God of War (or in this case, the Aspect) to be there when there is bloodshed, and not when there isn't. Not many wars have few casualties, so when it came to the effect itself there needed to be 2 destroyed. Not being destroyed by battle also fits the theme; a god of war would be terrible as a god if it could be killed by anything lesser in combat.

The card cycling effect was to show an attempt to gain reserves into battle, to perpetuate the war and to justify a crushing victory by combat, not by effects. Getting the card draw if it isn't a monster just seemed like a natural thing to have as a concession. As did only being able to control 1 of it: Only 1 Tūmatauenga to my limited knowledge of Maori culture.

...Christ, I look really anal with that description... hmm

You mentioned something about missing an important clause in your card; what did you have in mind?

As for Brimtosis, the name makes sense, given that the card is pretty much battle-related and wars do that. I wouldn't worry about the Māori thing too much; I'd probably say knowing enough about that god is enough.

----

To be really fair, this is likely the harshest I've graded any participants in contests during any point of my time on YCM.

Achievement unlocked -  Get full points on OCG from one judge. ... and get capitalization'd from the other, as usual.

Second place is also a really nice achievement.

With the battle effect, I guess it would be better if I put an  ' (if any) ' after the effect negation, to prevent this little confusion regarding direct attacks. (( Negate the opponent player's effect, gg :V ))

So yeah, flavor of my entry, since now it's already past judging:

[spoiler=Flavor]

As you said, it's a pseudo-evolution of the moth+cocoon,  mixed with a bit of Insect Queen. Full Weevil / Haga :V

At first it had a different special summon clause, a bit of a shame I don't even remember what it was, but I thought this was better.

Do note that the add from grave to hand effect is mandatory, the primary targets for this being Maxx C, the low level Inzektors (especially Hornet), and Level Eater, although Level Eater would be counter-productive, as you want it to remain in grave, unless you need it for another discard for 'one for one' or something.

The flavor for the tribute reduce effect would be insect queen and her eggs, although insect queen has horrible effects alongside that.

The battle effect's flavor is how Weevil / Haga defeated the Gaia+Curse of Dragon fusion in Duelist Kingdom, and that is poison in the wings. I imagined Moth Queen attacking by causing a storm of poison with her wings, destabilizing spell/trap cards on the field, and negating the opposing monster effect with the poison. They'd probably make Machine-types resistant to this if this was in Duelist Kingdom though.

• Brimtosis: 76.5
  • Royal Paladin: 68.25
  • ナナシ: 53.5

Anyway, it's time to award prizes. 

Brimtosis gets a free month in a custom member group of choice; after I send over your points, let me know the specifications you want via PM. 

Just for records,

Brimtosis gets 3000 points + 3 reps

Royal gets 2000 points + 2 reps

Nai gets 1000 points + 1 rep. 

And Black gets a rep for helping to judge things. 

----

So yeah, congratulations to the winners and thanks to all of you who entered the June tournament. 

If you have any final remarks about how you were graded and all, just PM one of us. (I shall be sending out points after this post; reps are done)

Archived