Season 17 Leaderboard Postseason

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Welcome to the Season 17 Leaderboard Postseason.

Those of you who entered the Leaderboard this season from August to December and placed in top 8 of the rankings are eligible to play. But...those of you who placed lower or didn't compete still get a chance.

[spoiler=Rules]
1. All rules apply.

2. The rounds shall be hosted in the 1v1 subforum by me.

3. Top 8 in regular season may enter.

i. If a spot is not taken, then it is opened up for anybody. However, this will be on a first come basis, so register quickly. Also Leaderboard participants will be seeded based on their ranking.

4. Deadline for entry is 12/10/2017 @ 7:15 pm HST though I have the right to close entry early.

5. This will be a double elimination tournament.

6. You have 48 hours after the theme is announced to get an entry in. I will grant extensions of 2 days per match to account for absences you may incur due to work, college, etc (but you need to tell me in advance).

7. All cards must be PM'd to me. (If you are having internet trouble, you may have another user send me your stuff instead)

8. The winners of each round get a rep from the losers.

9. The brackets shall be done through Challonge.

10. Seeding shall be based on regular season standings.

11. I have the right to add rules as we go.

[spoiler=Card Requirements]
TBA

[spoiler=Prizes]
1st: 10,00 points, 3 Reps
2nd: 7,500 points, 2 Reps
3rd: 5,000 points, 1 Rep

[spoiler=Contestants]
Abdel

BatMed

Eshai

Catman

Sage

BDS

===

So yeah, good luck. 

So yeah, Speedroid and AEZ were on the top 8 finishers, but neither of them responded, so it will again be a 6-man tournament. (I'll have to modify the brackets)

- One idea would be to just run it according to Challonge, and two of you get byes for round 1. 

- Another idea is doing two 3P matches for the first round, and would thus make this a relatively shorter tournament.

round 1 - 3P x 2

round 2 - semi (standard)

round L1 - 2 standard matches

round L2 - standard match

round 3 - final

[let's hope other people do vote in this...]

=====

Also as a reminder to everyone, the themes will be posted here, but all matches will be posted in the actual 1v1 section and run like a standard Leaderboard match, except I'm posting them.

Once a format is determined, I'll announce the first theme. 

You guys are also welcome to vote in matches that you aren't involved in. 

Sounds fine. If it isn't final I have some ideas. Don't know if they're good or not. 

1. I think 3 people in the final round would be a bit less awkward, and maybe just have 2 rounds. I do think that making only 2 cards for such a tournament doesn't sound as fun though. 

2. Possibly having a losers bracket could be interesting, having the people that lose go against each other. I guess it would work something like this:

• 1v1 x3 
  • Winner Bracket 1v1v1 and Loser's Bracket 1v1v1
  • Winners of brackets 1v1 Final Round.

It would be a bit of an underdog ending though if the loser in the final round wins though, so maybe that isn't quite the win you might want.

3. Maybe a 3-4 round match similar to Striker's recent Card Contest. Would be single 6 person tournament where we all participate to make cards based on the prompts you give us. Trade-offs are that it would be weird having the usual judging system, and reviewing each other's cards would give an inherent bias so that might not be as convenient.

In the event of tied matches (0-0), I'm going to tiebreak myself so there shouldn't be any. Granted, last season did have a three-way final because lack of time to actually break the loser bracket myself / make a new theme just for that. (Also was a reason why I permitted 3 ways this season, but only one match actually did). 

Final should only end up with 2 people. 

===

But double elimination mandates a loser bracket, so in case you get screwed over with a bad matchup (can't be as bad as popularity contests), you have a chance at redemption.

===

Would like to have you guys get as many chances as possible to showcase your stuff, but depends on how things go. 

*looks at calendar* So, when are you guys going to start?

I was holding off until Friday to be considerate to some of the participants who had final exams to contend with; self included because I just got home from doing two of them (300-level CEE) back to back. 

That being said, I do have the first theme ready, so I'll just announce it now (and have the deadline due around 6 pm my time on Saturday). If I do it now [close to 3 pm right now], then I won't be home to check because I work.

So...

Round 1 theme: Design a non-Cyberse Link Monster. 

You may make them generic or Type/Attribute/Archetype specific, including legacy support for older Decks that Link VRAINS Pack 1 didn't in lieu of other stuff. I leave it up to you, but only condition that it cannot be a Cyberse.

28/88 Links in this game (31.82%) are Cyberse for who knows why, so...let's not add on to that number. 

=====

You got until December 16th, 2017 @ 6 pm HST.

If you need an extension due to work, final exams (if you guys have them the week before Christmas) or whatever else comes up, let me know ahead of time.

Friendly reminder that you do have roughly 20-21 hours to get something in. As long as you get something in by 7 pm tomorrow (or that extension request), you're fine. I'm pushing the deadline back an hour. 

======

As for the formatting of the tournament, I will run round 1 as a normal seeding thing (1v6, 2v5, 3v4), then round 2 will be a 3-way from whomever comes out alive from this. As for the loser bracket, I'll have to do a round-robin type thing. 

So...

Regular bracket:

(1 v 6)

(2 v 5) ---> (1/6, 2/5, 3/4) ----> FINAL (winner vs L-bracket winner)

(3 v 4)

Loser bracket

(1/6 vs 3/4)  ---> (1/6 vs 2/5)

(2/5 vs 3/4)  ---> (2/5 vs 1/6)

Whoever gets most wins out of the bracket goes on to final. I have to do round robin for the loser bracket to keep the number of matches same for both. Otherwise, loser bracket is literally one shot and that's it.

As unorthodox as this is, this is what happens with the non-full bracket of less than 8. Unless you guys want a 3-way for the loser bracket, or to have both brackets run as round robin. Either way works for me; if we do have RR for both, you guys do roughly the same amount of work (er, 3-4 cards).

It's based on your Season 17 rankings. 

Normally I would run this through Challonge and it'd be a lot easier, but given the nature of the tournament right now due to having 2 less competitors than preferred, yeah.

BatMed (9-5-1)

BDS (8-6-1)

Abdel (4-3-0)

Dragon Sage (2-5-1.5)

Eshai (1-1-0)

CatmanDaGamer (0-1-1)

To make this much simpler without having to check this list. 

BatMed vs Catman

BDS vs Eshai

Abdel vs Sage

====

I really hate doing this, but since neither BDS nor Catman submitted anything, they've been dropped to the loser bracket. Abdel at least got something in, so Sage, you and him at least get a proper match for this tournament.

(I know Catman at least came on yesterday, and BDS was online today but didn't read it / just got the preview version. If you guys didn't want to participate / had other plans come up, you needed to let me know ahead of time so I could work out how to manage the tournament with minimal delay.)

As for Eshai and Batmed, you both get a win by default since opponents failed to get anything, but just so you two didn't waste your time making cards for this round, I'll let you guys square off in an unofficial match with it. Same rules will apply.

As for Eshai and Batmed, you both get a win by default since opponents failed to get anything, but just so you two didn't waste your time making cards for this round, I'll let you guys square off in an unofficial match with it. Same rules will apply.

So we will have another match?

So we will have another match?

Well, you and Eshai are having that three way with Abdel, who won 1-1. So in this case, that match will actually count. 

But I should warn you that depending on what happens with you guys submitting stuff; both in this bracket and for the loser one, that plan may be changed. At the moment, I do not have a round 2 theme off top of head. Will give one this afternoon [it's 11:07 am right now for me].

Loser bracket has the same theme as round 2, but I'm not giving any more Link-oriented themes for the tournament. (I have to give at least 1 Link challenge per tournament because of Master Rule 4 and the recent stuff).

Will announce the theme in the morning (because it is literally 4 am at the time of writing). 

Alright, round 2 theme will be as follows:

Design a "Majespecter" support card. 

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Majespecter

Outside of the above, you can choose whatever: Another Main Deck member, some support cards, an Extra Deck (even a Link if you want to). It does not matter; just make it support them in some way. 

I mentioned Link Monsters only as an idea of what you can do for the theme. You are not required to make one, and can instead go for another Extra Deck mechanic, or again, Main Deck stuff. 

Just keep in mind Master Rule 4 and all. 

====

Deadline is 12/23 @ 6:40 pm HST

If you have any questions, then feel free to ask. Also make sure that if you need an extension, you tell me ahead of time. 

Deadline passed 40 minutes ago, but I was doing some other stuff at the time.

So yeah...who have I gotten cards from?

Regulation

- BatMed

- Abdel

Loser bracket

- Sage

- BDS

So yeah, Catman is already DQ'd and Eshai, I don't know if you lost internet connection / got caught up with AGM gift stuff / had family stuff, but yeah, rules are as they are. PMs should be working fine, so if you did do it on time, I would've received it. 

That being said, whoever wins L1 just faces Eshai in round L2. 

====

If the matches end quickly, then I can just lay out the L2 theme / final later. I had it planned as a holiday themed one, but given the circumstances, it will likely be off season, but yeah. 

Alright, so let's see what happens after this. 

BatMed is moving on to final round, whereas the loser bracket consists of BDS, Eshai and Abdel. 

====

Honestly speaking, I would've liked to have had the final round by now, and theme would've been reindeer-themed (in general, not specific like last year). So yeah, and I am well aware that Christmas already ended for the bulk of you by now (save for those of you on West Coast and further west towards me), but at this point, I'll just have the L2 bracket and final both be this. 

Depending on how things pan out (based on who sends entries in on time).

• Whoever is left just has their entries graded like if this were a regular contest.
  • L2 bracket goes on, whoever wins faces BatMed and then a proper final.
  • Skip the L2 match, and let them fight it out in the final with Batmed in 3-way.

(Obviously it is unorthodox, but given the circumstances of not having a full field and certain members not showing up for their matches, what can be done? I would like to end this season before 2017 closes up.)

So again, the final theme will be:

Design a reindeer-themed card (again, think of it in a general sense).

You CAN design a card based on a certain one if you so choose, but it's not required. 

====

I'll give you guys until 12/27 @ 11:59 pm HST (so another 150 minutes roughly) to design stuff. 

So yeah, if you have questions or need extension, let me know ahead of time. 

So yeah, I needed to have cleaned this out before 2017 ended, but BatMed won 1-0 (well, if you want to count my side one as additional, then 2-0). And with that, he gets Leaderboard Champion status until the next Postseason (which is whenever Striker hosts it). 

Prizes and stuff to be awarded soon after. 

(Unfortunately, Striker did erase all of the standings from S17 and apparently didn't make a copy. So...if you weren't in here and want to know how you did without having to go back through the matches, yeah.)

=====

Thanks to all of you who participated in the tournament, and Happy New Year.

(Also thanks for bearing with me while I hosted the last couple seasons)

Archived